FishDuck Article

Oregon’s Two-Quarterback Solution

Oregon is repeating its recent history of starting another new QB this year, but what could the Ducks gain from playing two OBs? Many fans have complained about QB development. Do we need a new approach in Eugene? Mr. FishDuck has watched quite a few quarterback battles over the years as a Duck fan, and he took time away from ...

Ty-Thompson_Craig-Strobeck-300x300-cropp
FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon is repeating its recent history of starting another new QB this year, but what could the Ducks gain from playing two OBs? Many fans...

• Yikes! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

I think this two-quarterback system should be implemented every year. We can't afford to have young talented quarterbacks just sitting. They deserve a fair chance to be evaluated. Not only would we be up a creek when a starting QB is injured, but we'd have a constant flow of promising QB's into the transfer portal. As mentioned in the article, this would not be a good look in recruiting future elite QB's. Ducks have had great success developing our own (Mariota & Herbert).

• Thumbs Up 2

What's the popular belief on 2 QB system? "If you have two QB's, you have none" . Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. Hand him the key and show you have confidence in him. If he shows he can't... next.

Playing a two QB system just says you have no confidence in any of your guys. IMO, that shows the coach is weak and indecisive. Maybe you should find a new coach first.

• Applause 1

I think we 100% need to be prepping the underclassmen to play. They need practice reps with the first team, hell they need game reps with the first team.  Ideally you wouldn't do that when a game is still up for grabs, but if your scheduled cupcakes are still in it after halftime, then you have MUCH bigger issues to address. (and yes, I get that we only scheduled one this year)

IF Nix starts against Georgia and the game at any point gets out of hand, then the underclassmen should be getting playing reps. In game 2 against EWU, both Thompson and Butters should see playing time...significant playing time.  Nix, having played for Dillingham previously and knowing his offense, shouldn't need the reps nearly as badly as our other two.  I expect BYU to be a game that goes to the 4th quarter and if the starter gets all the reps in that one, that's understandable...

Point being, Thompson/Butters need the reps and we need to establish a hierarchy. The fact it doesn't already exist is largely the fault of the previous administration, but thankfully we aren't scrambling to get transfers in here to be competitive as he left the shelves very well stocked.  IF running a two-QB system this season gets us an established hierarchy, then so be it...but lets establish QB-2 who can start the next 2 years while Moore is coming on-line. Lets prepare for the future or we'll find that we don't have much of one to look forward to...

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/9/2022 at 6:35 AM, Log Haulin said:

What's the popular belief on 2 QB system? "If you have two QB's, you have none" . Play the guy that gives you the best chance to win. Hand him the key and show you have confidence in him. If he shows he can't... next.

Playing a two QB system just says you have no confidence in any of your guys. IMO, that shows the coach is weak and indecisive. Maybe you should find a new coach first.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:51 AM, Wrathis said:

I think we 100% need to be prepping the underclassmen to play. They need practice reps with the first team, hell they need game reps with the first team.  Ideally you wouldn't do that when a game is still up for grabs, but if your scheduled cupcakes are still in it after halftime, then you have MUCH bigger issues to address. (and yes, I get that we only scheduled one this year)

IF Nix starts against Georgia and the game at any point gets out of hand, then the underclassmen should be getting playing reps. In game 2 against EWU, both Thompson and Butters should see playing time...significant playing time.  Nix, having played for Dillingham previously and knowing his offense, shouldn't need the reps nearly as badly as our other two.  I expect BYU to be a game that goes to the 4th quarter and if the starter gets all the reps in that one, that's understandable...

Point being, Thompson/Butters need the reps and we need to establish a hierarchy. The fact it doesn't already exist is largely the fault of the previous administration, but thankfully we aren't scrambling to get transfers in here to be competitive as he left the shelves very well stocked.  IF running a two-QB system this season gets us an established hierarchy, then so be it...but lets establish QB-2 who can start the next 2 years while Moore is coming on-line. Lets prepare for the future or we'll find that we don't have much of one to look forward to...

Haha I knew someone was going with that old saying... this isn't about confidence it's about development.

Last year it was AB who had 28 games experience, Bo has 34 games. The safe bet is to start those guys and it's a huge ask to expect the young QBs to beat them out for the job in fall camp when they have hardly any college game experience. Even if Ty was better some days than Bo, it's always safe to give the Vet the job.

Just because AB was the best QB at the end of fall camp didn't mean that if they went with Ty or Butters they wouldn't have improved during the season to the point they were better than AB. Matter of fact AB's play didn't get better as the year went, he was the same dude. 

Bo if he is the starter isn't going to get a bunch better from game one to game six, or game 14. Bo is who he is for the most part, he's developed for three years.

Ty or Butter will improve each week if they play, and you can find out how good they can be as they improve. 

If we don't play Ty or Butters this year and then Moore comes in, who is the next transfer we bring in next year with three years' experience? DJ Ulagalelei?

Lastly if Ty or Butters hardly play this year do you think they stay or hit the Portal?

If they stay and we bring in another transfer QB do you think they stick around then?

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:10 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Haha I knew someone was going with that old saying... this isn't about confidence it's about development.

Last year it was AB who had 28 games experience, Bo has 34 games. The safe bet is to start those guys and it's a huge ask to expect the young QBs to beat them out for the job in fall camp when they have hardly any college game experience. Even if Ty was better some days than Bo, it's always safe to give the Vet the job.

Just because AB was the best QB at the end of fall camp didn't mean that if they went with Ty or Butters they wouldn't have improved during the season to the point they were better than AB. Matter of fact AB's play didn't get better as the year went, he was the same dude. 

Bo if he is the starter isn't going to get a bunch better from game one to game six, or game 14. Bo is who he is for the most part, he's developed for three years.

Ty or Butter will improve each week if they play, and you can find out how good they can be as they improve. 

If we don't play Ty or Butters this year and then Moore comes in, who is the next transfer we bring in next year with three years' experience? DJ Ulagalelei?

Lastly if Ty or Butters hardly play this year do you think they stay or hit the Portal?

If they stay and we bring in another transfer QB do you think they stick around then?

Oregon has a ton of talent on this team. One of the most talented teams in the nation. If this team is well coached they can find themselves in CFP year one of the Lanning era. 

IMO, alternating QB system, though sounds good on paper when talking about development, will do more to harm our chance at a shot to play in CFP.

The talent is there. Lanning is chomping at the bit. With the conference upheavals, the time is now to make your claim. 2 QB system hurts those efforts, imo.

The time to find your guy is in fall camp. I don't care who plays QB as long as its the best available option. If guys transfer,  so be it. I want the best on the field until the game is secured.

• Great post! 1

The best way to utilize multiple QBs is to keep the pedal to the metal and put inferior teams away early.  I know, easier said than done, but MM hardly played in the 4th quarter the year he won the Heisman.

Let's get rid of the ugly grind it out, sit on a lead strategy MC used.  It always used to drive me crazy when we intentionally conceded momentum to lesser opponents.  Sure burn some time off the clock, but don't just run it up the middle every play.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I agree 100% with what you are saying Daze.

Thank you so much Charles for this article and completely fully agree with your assessment..  My hope and belief we finally have the coaching staff that embraces top notch QB development.

Edited by NJDuck

You don't necessarily need a two qb system, just a system where you get the backup qbs in for meaningful minutes. This will be decided by two things, the defense, and how ready the next guys are.

If the defense is all most people are thinking it is, then playing the back-ups isn't a problem. A turnover then become a three and out, try it again. If the defense struggles you don't take as many chances with the back-ups.

The other item is how close is the competition? If the back-ups can make enough of the plays work in practice, it is time, and bring down the curtain for showtime. It is pretty simple if a qb can make all, or most of the plays, play him. If a qb still is struggling to get up to college game speed, he needs more practice time. 

So if the defense is stout, and the next guys in line are ready we could have a three qb system.  The main thing is if the back-up comes in, he shouldn't be handing the ball off. We need to develop qb's, and keep the petal to the metal, game speed, full game script. 

I say challenge the defense and the young qb's asap.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/9/2022 at 7:28 AM, Log Haulin said:

Oregon has a ton of talent on this team. One of the most talented teams in the nation. If this team is well coached they can find themselves in CFP year one of the Lanning era. 

IMO, alternating QB system, though sounds good on paper when talking about development, will do more to harm our chance at a shot to play in CFP.

The talent is there. Lanning is chomping at the bit. With the conference upheavals, the time is now to make your claim. 2 QB system hurts those efforts, imo.

The time to find your guy is in fall camp. I don't care who plays QB as long as its the best available option. If guys transfer,  so be it. I want the best on the field until the game is secured.

I get the point your making, but to make the playoff you need a good QB and to win a playoff game you need a great QB.

You can't be QB limited and make the playoffs very often, let alone win there.

Look at the QBs who have been in the Playoff recently... Burrow, Justin Fields, Tua, Mac Jones, Kyler Murry, Baker, Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence

I think playoff aspirations for this Ducks team with Bo Nix are a long shot... he's Bo Nix not- Justin Fields when he went to OSU, Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.

If Bryce or CJ had transferred to Oregon, then us not making the playoffs this year would be a failure. 

If you want to talk Playoffs you need to develop Ty, Butters or Donte Moore into a elite QB. Those type of QB's take you to the playoffs and win games there like MM did.  

Trevor Lawrence his freshman year was QB2 behind Kelly Bryant but got a ton of playing time the first few games, it was a 2QB system. Then in week 4 or 5 Lawrence was named the starter and Bryant hit the portal. 

Could Ty or Butters do the same this year? 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

We have a lot of unknown potential at QB. Any of these guys could start against E WA. Different story against Georgia. 

With an uptempo offense we should have an opportunity to rest QB1 in the 4th quarter more often. Having QB1 on the field in a blowout doesn’t make any sense. However, you don’t really want QB2 just handing the ball to a RB to run out the clock. 

Platooning QBs is not the ideal way to develop talent. You don’t want QB1 looking over their shoulder to see if they are being told to come out of the game. You want your best QB option to be confident that they have everyone’s support through any of the rough spots. 

Generally, you can tell if the back up QB is a solid player in a short period of time. Should be fun to watch who goes the distance. 

On 8/9/2022 at 8:40 AM, noDucknewby said:

The best way to utilize multiple QBs is to keep the pedal to the metal and put inferior teams away early.

Even when Chip Kelly got the big leads, what did he do?  He went into what I call, "Turtle-Time" where he would have the reserve QB bark out signals, and then they all would look to the sidelines for the play and delay until the play clock ticked down.  Then they ran another Inside Zone Read to burn clock.

Remember how we used to shout at Chip to "let the reserve QBs run the offense!"  (Meaning-pass the ball to get game experience)  And he wouldn't, thus our back-ups QBs did not get much game experience.

What Chip was doing was shortening the game, so that the other team had no chance of having enough time to make a come-back.  It is routine, and it is the right coaching call...but it does not develop the back-up QBs.

(And another great article by DazeNconfused-thanks!)

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/9/2022 at 9:07 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Even when Chip Kelly got the big leads, what did he do?  He went into what I call, "Turtle-Time" where he would have the reserve QB bark out signals, and then they all would look to the sidelines for the play and delay until the play clock ticked down.  Then they ran another Inside Zone Read to burn clock.

Remember how we used to shout at Chip to "let the reserve QBs run the offense!"  (Meaning-pass the ball to get game experience)  And he wouldn't, thus our back-ups QBs did not get much game experience.

What Chip was doing was shortening the game, so that the other team had no chance of having enough time to make a come-back.  It is routine, and it is the right coaching call...but it does not develop the back-up QBs.

Fair point Charles, but live reps even in a dumbed-down offense still have value.  But I agree that you have to give the backup QBs meaningful reps by running the regular offense, even if it does in the short term risk some bone-headed mistakes.  If there's an injury one of them will be thrown into the fire anyway.

Since Dabo at Clemson did the 2QB system with Trevor Lawrence - Kelly Bryant in 2018 and made it work, what will he do this year?

DJ Uiagagalelei last year's starter wasn't that good and incoming QB Cade Klubnik was the #1 QB recruit. 

I bet Dabo goes with a 2QB solution to start the year like he did in 2018. Klubnik's upside is higher than DJ so he has to play and see how fast he develops. 

DJ, like Nix don't look like the guys to take teams to the playoffs

Edited by DazeNconfused

I think QB needs to work a bit like every other position on the field. 

We want depth everywhere and we play multiple players at each position when we have the depth to do it.

We have three very talented players at QB. Play all three! Yes, Nix gets the most snaps, maybe all the snaps the first game, but the others need to play too.

What happens if once again we have two very talented QB's getting no snaps and Nix is injured in practice the Friday before the BYU game?

Either Ty or Butters comes in to a huge game with little or no experience in real game situations. But what if each of them gets a quarter vs. Eastern W.?

They at least have their feet wet a little before diving in head first. 

Later that same scenario could play out before any big game (or a not so big game could turn into a big game, because suddenly we are starting a QB with no experience).

These guys need game experience or we really don't know just what they can do. Who knows, with a chance to prove it, both may be better than Nix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another good one DNC. Food for thought. I like the idea of getting a second QB some consistent game action weekly, but not necessarily to the point of calling it a "two-quarterback rotation." The system I can recall that made sense to me was run for several years by that quarterback factory in Pullman. It's been a while, but I think it was back in the Mike Price era when the Cougs would routinely run a couple of series in the 2nd quarter of games with their younger back-up quarterback. Some games, this unit really clicked and left the fans wanting more. Other games, things didn't click for this unit, and it was a relief to get back to the first team QB. Regardless, the back-up got meaningful game action every game, and this process definitely aided in the player's development while allowing the coaching staff to determine whether or not they saw real potential in the younger QB.

I much prefer this kind of game action for the back-up QB over mop-up duty in lop-sided wins or losses.  I'm sure more head coaches prefer the latter because it represents a much smaller risk. No doubt most head coaches never want to face a situation where they lose a close game that includes two disastrous series in the second quarter with a back-up quarterback. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2022 at 10:21 AM, WiseKwacker said:

Another good one DNC. Food for thought. I like the idea of getting a second QB some consistent game action weekly, but not necessarily to the point of calling it a "two-quarterback rotation." The system I can recall that made sense to me was run for several years by that quarterback factory in Pullman. It's been a while, but I think it was back in the Mike Price era when the Cougs would routinely run a couple of series in the 2nd quarter of games with their younger back-up quarterback. Some games, this unit really clicked and left the fans wanting more. Other games, things didn't click for this unit, and it was a relief to get back to the first team QB. Regardless, the back-up got meaningful game action every game, and this process definitely aided in the player's development while allowing the coaching staff to determine whether or not they saw real potential in the younger QB.

I much prefer this kind of game action for the back-up QB over mop-up duty in lop-sided wins or losses.  I'm sure more head coaches prefer the latter because it represents a much smaller risk. No doubt most head coaches never want to face a situation where they lose a close game that includes two disastrous series in the second quarter with a back-up quarterback. 

The thing is Price didn't have an ace backup like Rivals 5-Star Ty Thompson who as the #10 player in the nation who could breakout as a star of the team. 

I had Butters ahead of Ty in the spring, but Ty kicked but at the Manning academy and things my really start clicking for him. I would not be surprised if Ty is ahead of Butters at the end of fall camp. 

I would not be shocked if Ty came out of fall camp as QB1- being rated so elite those type of things are expected of him. I also wouldn't be shocked if Ty ended up in a 2QB thing with Bo because the coaches felt it was only a matter of time as the season goes on that Ty is the better QB hands down.

The next QB ahead of Ty on Rivas was #6 Caleb Williams, if Ty's projection is right, he will make it to NY for a Heisman ceremony before he is done. It's going to be interesting to see if Ty makes a jump in fall camp.

Edited by DazeNconfused

In the Old Days, Coaches played the best senior athlete, the youth waited their turn.  Unless they had a standout talent.  The issue now is, that talent does not have to wait for Oregon to be ready for them.  They can elect to go into the Portal.  Find a team that may allow them to see the field sooner.

Oregon needs to prepare QB's for competition that does not stop for the red jerseys.  Real competition does not hold back which helps prep the mind for game speed, getting used to physical contact.  Facing real game experiences forces the talent to execute physically, mentally and to make adjustments to become better at their trade.

Mark Helfrich brought in Adams Jr and Prukop as Transfer QB's.  It did little to show the underwhelming talent of Lockie and Alie, until they appeared on the field.  Mario Cristobal brought in Brown, which shelved a 5 star and 4 star talents that may have been better.  Having some confidence in the back ups is important.  Having a reliable Back Up man is just smart football, IMHO.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, OhioDuck said:

In theory, yes. The problem is it’s not like every other position because how it’s played can and does affect every other offensive player.

For me, that is the core problem with all these arguments: by focusing on only who or how many QB’s to play, it ignores the effect this has on the rest of the offense.

You can’t replicate real game timing and intensity in practice. The will of an opponent’s defense and their players are not available beforehand. 

Two QB’s in live action simply mess with the rest of the team’s timing, and their ability  to do the best job they can.

In theory, I agree we need to develop younger QB’s with meaningful reps, but you also have to give yourself the best chance to win the game. 

It’s a conundrum: do you sacrifice the present to plan for the future? Tough decision no doubt.

Edited by Washington Waddler
word choice
  • Thumbs Up 2

You don't need a Great QB to win a playoff game. Georgia doesn't have one. The NFL has tons of Super Bowl Champs that have serviceable QB's that are not Great by any stretch of the imagination.

A Great Defense gets the opposing offense off the field. Therefore, they don't score points. This allows for development to progress with Young QB's. Oregon's success over the last 2-3 years had more to do with line play than QB play. That's a Mari° plug right there. 

As far as 2 QB system.....yuck!

Figure out your QB in the Spring and Fall camps. Get the #2 and #3 some reps when you are 24 points up in the second half. If it's the 4th quarter and that kind of spread, then I would alternate QB 2&3 with the #1 offense. Bellotti tried this and I hated it. Haven't seen any successful team utilize this with any kind of regularity. Situational, yes, but not part of the main scheme.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two head cooks in the kitchen is one to many.  Bo's stats are against premium defensive lines, linebackers, and defensive backs.  All while running for his life.  And he beat Alabama under those conditions.  You take Bo of this team right now and we open play 1-2 before conference starts.  

Those referencing Clemson's 2 QB rotation are forgetting the stud coming up was a generational QB.  Dabo knew that kid was going to take over soon into the season. 

I for one want to win THIS season, as I feel we have better chance at playoffs this year, then we do next season.   NO to a 2 QB rotation, that is suicide.  Play your next year's starter in second half when you can, and never at any other time.  I am never wrong, and this opinion will not be the exception. 

Edited by Pac10again
  • Great post! 1

Before fall camp is over it will be evident who the starting qb should be. It will also be evident if Ty or Butters is better than Bo.

Bo still starts against the Dawgs but the other two will get time next game for sure.

On 8/9/2022 at 8:55 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I get the point your making, but to make the playoff you need a good QB and to win a playoff game you need a great QB.

You can't be QB limited and make the playoffs very often, let alone win there.

Look at the QBs who have been in the Playoff recently... Burrow, Justin Fields, Tua, Mac Jones, Kyler Murry, Baker, Bryce Young, Trevor Lawrence

I think playoff aspirations for this Ducks team with Bo Nix are a long shot... he's Bo Nix not- Justin Fields when he went to OSU, Bryce Young or CJ Stroud.

If Bryce or CJ had transferred to Oregon, then us not making the playoffs this year would be a failure. 

If you want to talk Playoffs you need to develop Ty, Butters or Donte Moore into a elite QB. Those type of QB's take you to the playoffs and win games there like MM did.  

Trevor Lawrence his freshman year was QB2 behind Kelly Bryant but got a ton of playing time the first few games, it was a 2QB system. Then in week 4 or 5 Lawrence was named the starter and Bryant hit the portal. 

Could Ty or Butters do the same this year? 

You left out Stetson Bennett. 

• Like 1

Coaches game planning to use the opportunities to build reliable depth is most important.  One can wish, that some of these young men realized or took advantage of the opportunities presented to them.  Leaders, take action and Lead.  The problem is they maybe the ones that head to the portal.

The personnel that let down, hopefully show up soon than later.  Johnny Football, had great receivers in college failed in the NFL.  Tate Martell, great in High School a bust in college.  Marcus at Tennessee, Las Vegas struggled, in Atlanta one hopes for a career turnaround.

Coaching, scheme and personnel, all make a difference.  GOAT, Tom Brady, has done it with two different teams.  Being "Special" sometimes rests with the player.

Oregon, I am hoping that the new staff, has the vision to find the best talent to lead the program.  Puts back ups in, as appropriate, to learn and develop talent.  That talent understands growth from experiences.  Oregon  needs players to be competitive and committed.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:56 PM, Log Haulin said:

You left out Stetson Bennett. 

You're right I did. He is a good example of elite level QB play but lots of people call the guy a game manager.

But his yards per pass and passer rating was right there with Picket Stoud and Young who were in NY for the Heisman

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, DazeNconfused said:

You're right I did. He is a good example of elite level QB play but lots of people call the guy a game manager.

DNC I'll say this: You certainly know how to write articles that evoke a response!  In the short time I've been here I've seen more conversation on your write-ups than I've seen on most any other topic here!  Keep up the good work and keep the articles coming!

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/9/2022 at 12:35 PM, Pac10again said:

Those referencing Clemson's 2 QB rotation are forgetting the stud coming up was a generational QB.  Dabo knew that kid was going to take over soon into the season. 

That's a great point that Dabo did that to Kelly Bryant his senior year. He was the starter the year before and took Clemson to the playoffs. The next year Dabo puts him in a 2-QB system because he knew Trevor had a higher ceiling. 

I don't hold Nix in any higher regard than Bryant, and Ty is a 2nd year 5-star QB, not a true freshman like Trevor was. I see Ty with a much higher ceiling than Bo.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2022 at 2:28 PM, Wrathis said:

DNC I'll say this: You certainly know how to write articles that evoke a response!  In the short time I've been here I've seen more conversation on your write-ups than I've seen on most any other topic here!  Keep up the good work and keep the articles coming!

Funny you say that as I've tried to dig into topics, we as a fan base should be talking about, or know more about as fans.

This article is a topic I figured we should kick around as there are fans who have real issues with not developing Ty and Butter last year.

Here we are the next year with transfer QB and the possibility he plays and our young QBs who will be better than him of they get half a season under their belt might be sitting.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If Oregon had two QB of equal talent? Like Bryant/Lawrence at Clemson, I could see a possibility. Definitely an exception to the rule though. 

It's highly improbable that Oregon has a situation in their QB room where two of these guys deserve PT due to equal talent.  If they do, one will surely transfer.

I don't know who our best option as a starter is. Rooting for Butters. I trust the coaches to put in whoever gives us the best chance to win. 

I don't have a problem with any of these guys starting. The stakes are high with all the upheaval in college football. Win now must be the priority. Just win!

I don't have an ax to grind with Nix because I want Oregon to play a talented youngster Oregon recruited. The window of success is now. Seize it. Play the guy that can get us to the highest level now.

I feel bad for TT and Butters. The previous staff was incompetent in developing these two as far as I understand it. I could be wrong though.

Thats for Lanning and KD to decide. They will let us know, I will just have to trust them on whoever they put in the 1 spot. Let's go Butterfield, win the job. 

If it is Nix I will root just as hard for him. The boo birds last were for Mariø not Anthony Brown. Bo deserves a fair shot just as Brown did. Just as TT and Butterfield do.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:31 AM, OhioDuck said:

We have three very talented players at QB. Play all three! 

I agree with OhioDuck here.  You have to have the next man up getting game time snaps.  

If we can have 6 DL on rotation, 5-6 WR on rotation, 3-4 RB on rotation, 4-5 TE on rotation, and 5-6 LB on rotation, why not 2-3 QB on rotation?  If we can count on anything, we can count on one of them getting banged up, especially if Dilly plans to run his QB 6 to 8 times per game.

IMHO, having 2 or 3 capable and experienced QBs ready to cover for each other is a lot safer, smarter, and more effective than putting all your eggs in one basket…. er, putting all your hopes on one QB.

• Cool 1

From the mouth of Dan the Man himself!

“We’re going to compete at quarterback like we do at every position,” Lanning said. “I’m really excited that we have quarterbacks that can play winning football at the University of Oregon. If I felt like it gave us a competitive advantage to tell you I would. I don’t. We’re going to keep chopping. ... We’re going to keep making sure we get enough guys enough reps. You can’t have just one quarterback going into the season, so we’re going to make sure we operate with that mentality.

hmmm...  sounds like a hedge against injury at the least... it could be forward thinking that one of the young QB's could be the guy down the road

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2022 at 3:54 PM, DazeNconfused said:

hmmm...  sounds like a hedge against injury at the least... it could be forward thinking that one of the young QB's could be the guy down the road

Edited 29 minutes ago by DazeNconfused

I agree, but I give DL credit for not saying something like, "There's a No.1 QB and he's it until his arm falls off." The idea that the QB could change is refreshing. 

• Go Ducks! 1

I do think there is developing and then there is letting somebody who is ready to compete, the opportunity to show it.

Do we have a Tom Brady who needs to show what he can do on the field or just another highly rated high school product who doesn't have what it takes at the college level.

I don't think we know from the development and filter the previous leadership provided. I look forward to putting a different eye and development system to work on the two guys who have been sitting, mainly on the bench until now.

Again if both back-ups are ready to compete at the college level give them both time to shine, they deserve it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/9/2022 at 5:23 PM, DazeNconfused said:

But his yards per pass and passer rating was right there with Picket Stoud and Young who were in NY for the Heisman

Most Georgia fans I've heard use words like serviceable for Bennett's physical talents and elite for his leadership. 

I've also heard some about their running game being necessary for him to be a successful passer. He lives off of play action.

On 8/9/2022 at 7:04 PM, OhioDuck said:

Most Georgia fans I've heard use words like serviceable for Bennett's physical talents and elite for his leadership. 

I've also heard some about their running game being necessary for him to be a successful passer. He lives off of play action.

I get you. He has played elite in their system, but he isn't going to be elite in Bama's system like Bryce Young is.

Vernon Adams G.O.A.T.!!! What a legend...I disagree with the two quarterback solution. No championship team has ever done this. The QB is the most important position in sports. He is the leader of the team. He needs to stay on the field. Get in and stay in rhythm, pull him if need be.(Good to have that option)Tough to say about the transfer situation. It's a win now business. VA Jr. came up huge for us, but we didn't have multiple studs waiting in the wings then. Unfortunately we will certainly lose at least one of them.....side note- it was fun when the Raiders threw Mariota out the for a play or two so maybe the two QB situation isn't all bad😉

Great article and fantastic insight on our QB issues.  Having a deep quarterback room is a problem many schools would love to have. It’s been several years since we’ve had depth let alone quality in our QB room. That being said, forget the 2QB system. As others have already said, running 2QB’s simply shows lack of confidence in your QB’s not to mention you’re robbing your WR’s from developing with “their” QB. The problem I see at this point is that both Ty and AB are both highly ranked QB’s with a high ceiling if coached properly.

If we don’t stop searching for ready made players in the portal, our QB room will get bored and feel as though time is ticking for them to catch the eye of scouts, they’re going to hit the portal and be snatched up quickly. We “NEED” to develop our players and stay away from the portal unless it’s a rare pick up that can instantly fill a void.  I like everyone else here is excited for this years team as well as see what our coach is building. Go Ducks!!! Georgia/ Ducks prediction is 31-27 Ducks 🤞🏈

I agree with the premise of more PT for the backups just not the method you suggest. Last quarter, obvious leads, sure...but not without that.

It just doesn't work when you're shooting for 12-0. Maybe if you were a 6 win or less type of team with no shot I could get behind this but not sure it helps with confidence or retention for the next season when you pull a guy has one bad series but the two QB rotational method just doesn't work and is really only deployed by teams with little to no chance of winning and looking to gain experience for the next season.

Pulling a QB without a solid game winning lead for rotational experience,  isn't accounting for looks, bating and deception with coverage schemes that takes in-game reps to pick up on and truly see what's happening. Also there's a rhythm issue that a QB needs as it relates to timing with his receivers, etc.   Rotating QB's  just doesn't work and the reason you don't see national champions that do this.  What might work best is defined scenario's, e.g Florida & Tebo, etc. but in reality, I'd rather see 4-5 blowouts that utilize a rotation with both Butters and Ty. 

The wild card that wicked doesn't mention is injury: Getting meaningful game time experience (not just garbage time) can be a life-saver if our #1 goes down for any length of time. 

Generally, I think the column by DazeNconfused hits the nail pretty good.  Was a little surprised to see little mention of Ty Thompson except to speculate another year on the pine for him as Nix & Butterfield go 1-2 in a 2-QB system.  Personally, I've never liked the 2-QB system and believe it robs a team of a Leader and consistency at the one position consistency is the most important.

the most painful loss of Belotti's bowl games is hard to pin point, but the 2 QB system employed in the Holiday Bowl vs Oklahoma is right up there... Every time Oregon seemed to gain momento, MB seemed to twitch his stache and swap leaders.

• Applause 1

On 8/24/2022 at 5:24 PM, woundedknees said:

the most painful loss of Belotti's bowl games is hard to pin point, but the 2 QB system employed in the Holiday Bowl vs Oklahoma is right up there... Every time Oregon seemed to gain momento, MB seemed to twitch his stache and swap leaders.

Woundedknees, you , me and Pepperidge Farm remember!

Please, LEAF Dixon in the game!!!

• Haha 1

Absolutely right. Couldn't agree more. The two backup's should play the WHOLE game against E/W. Nix could go down at any time, let alone not put up the numbers we expect of him. I know I wouldn't be at all happy if the team I committed to, kept bringing in transfer players. (Unless they were named Mariota). 🙂