Pennsylvania Duck

Thibodeaux Dominates--NFL Media Reacts

KT is killing it at camp. Doubts were expressed prior to camp.

"A lot of people were wrong about former Oregon Ducks defensive end"

1242164756.jpg?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The NFL world is quickly learning how good Kayvon Thibodeaux is. Any fan of the Oregon Ducks could have told you that years ago.

The problem many have when evaluating Oregon talent is what I call the Mariø effect. MC had a special gift of doing less with more than anyone I have ever seen.

This is the same problem UGA is going to run into. The Mariø effect and injuries last year makes it tough to get a bead on this team. Until a few games are played and game film becomes available,  nobody really knows who Oregon is. 

• Cool 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 7:14 AM, Log Haulin said:

The problem many have when evaluating Oregon talent is what I call the Mariø effect. MC had a special gift of doing less with more than anyone I have ever seen.

This is the same problem UGA is going to run into. The Mariø effect and injuries last year makes it tough to get a bead on this team. Until a few games are played and game film becomes available,  nobody really knows who Oregon is. 

Bravo LH! I’d add that injuries should also be included in the the Mario effect. Between his strength and conditioning plan and full speed practices all the time,  the UO injury list seemed to be at an all time high.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

If Thibs stays healthy he will be a good one.

I think the problem existed before MC.  While the Ducks have produced some great pros (Herbert, Chung, Unger, Alonso, Buckner, Armstead), many of our high profile, 1st round draft choices are largely considered busts:  Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Dion Jordan, and largely Marcus Mariota.  Even Sewell struggled the first half of his rookie season before settling down.  Smith and Harrington were drafted by franchises that have ruined most of the QBs they've had, but even so, they're considered high first round busts.

When we have more Herberts and fewer Harringtons, we'll probably have more buy-in from the media and more belief in the players coming out.  Hopefully Thibs contributes mightily toward that.

On 8/9/2022 at 6:53 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

"A lot of people were wrong about former Oregon Ducks defensive end"

This can also be said for a particular starting quarterback with the Chargers. Didn't a lot of NFL pundits say Herbert wasn't going to be any good and questioned his fire and passion for the game? 

I think a lot of people just question the Ducks players and are looking for reasons to make us look bad. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2022 at 12:38 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

When we have more Herberts and fewer Harringtons, we'll probably have more buy-in from the media

Leinhart, Barkley, Sanchez certainly haven't ruined USC's reputation in the media. Young, McCoy and Applewhite haven't ruined Texas' either. It really hasn't even spoiled tOSU's either although Braxton Miller, Haskins and Terelle Pryor have largely been busts as well.  Can anyone name the most recent successful Notre Dame QB?

Point being most programs have large percentage of busts in the NFL. It's all about finding the diamonds in the rough...Cal isn't QBU but that Aaron Rodgers guy has been pretty decent. Texas Tech isn't a powerhouse but that hasn't stopped Mahomes from being a stud.  Brees at Purdue, Wilson at Whiskey,  Allen from Wyoming, Dak from Miss St and Lamar from Louisville...none considered blue-bloods.

I doubt anyone has considered us a defensive power school but Arik, Buckner, Kayvon, Matthews, Kiko, Chung etc have all had great NFL careers, especially when compared to our offensive NFL production.  Excellent production can come from anywhere and just b/c the media pushes a particular narrative about blue-blood production doesn't mean it's true.

Sorry for the rant, but this happens to be one of those things where we "get no respect" by other fans and it boils my blood.  Now back to your regular scheduled programming 😛

• Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/9/2022 at 2:40 PM, Wrathis said:

Leinhart, Barkley, Sanchez certainly haven't ruined USC's reputation in the media.

Neither did this one:

On 8/9/2022 at 8:40 PM, Wrathis said:

Leinhart, Barkley, Sanchez certainly haven't ruined USC's reputation in the media. Young, McCoy and Applewhite haven't ruined Texas' either. It really hasn't even spoiled tOSU's either although Braxton Miller, Haskins and Terelle Pryor have largely been busts as well.  Can anyone name the most recent successful Notre Dame QB?

One big difference is that those are long-term bluebloods, with a ton of success in years gone by.  While it shouldn't, that does influence the talking heads.  They can skate by on reputations.  Oregon doesn't have that yet.  If we had won in those two title game appearances, it would probably be a different story.

I heard more than one comparison of Thibs to Dion Jordan.  If Jordan hadn't been a gigantic bust, that would have been working in Thibs' favor, not against him.  The media likes to take shortcuts.  I remember hearing how Aaron Rodgers was dangerous to draft, because he came from Cal, and Kyle Boller had been a bust - therefore, QBs from Cal would be busts.  It's incredibly lazy reporting, but having dealt closely with the media for 30+ years, I know how much lazy reporting there is out there.

• Thumbs Up 1