HawaiiDuck

Yahoo Sports - The Pac-12 Will Survive

fd6116d3ac4e986698a3c539393861d9
SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

It isn't 100-percent official as a point of fact, but it is virtually impossible for the #Pac12 to splinter or die at this point. The conference will not become extinct.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great news! Now do we stay at 10 or go for San Diego St and UNLV before the B12 does. I say go get them even if it lessens our money a couple of mil. Would somewhat give us the LA market back and tie up Las Vegas. That can't hurt.

• Go Ducks! 2

On 8/10/2022 at 11:10 AM, Duck 1972 said:

Great news! Now do we stay at 10 or go for San Diego St and UNLV before the B12 does.

Yes! Get them now!

• Go Ducks! 2

Great news! Now do we stay at 10 or go for San Diego St and UNLV before the B12 does. I say go get them even if it lessens our money a couple of mil. Would somewhat give us the LA market back and tie up Las Vegas. That can't hurt.

Agree.  They need to add SDSU and UNLV right now. Both those schools get $4M/year from the MWC.  If the Pac-12 offered them $8M/year under this new media rights contract that is open right now and full shares under the next future media rights deal, there is a 99.9% chance they jump and it wouldn't require existing schools to give up money to get them. 

San Diego TV market is ranked No. 8 and Vegas is ranked No. 26 and Vegas is growing fast.  It is more of a long-term play, but a smart one.     

As long as the Pac-12 has a path to the playoff, I don't care what they say about the conference.  That direct path to the playoff for the conference winner is everything going forward.  

Edited by GeotechDuck
  • Applause 1

Solidify the Pac with top choice Mountain West teams (SD St, UNLV?). From there, talk with interesting teams that are about to join the Big 12 (Houston, Cincinnati, BYU), once the Pac is a solid 14 or so, go for the top Big 12 teams that you can get (Baylor, Ok St). End up with a good 16-18 team conference. That seems like a logical progression to me.

I don't think there's a choice in the matter.  GK needs to expand the Pac12 or risk having it die a slow death over the next 5-10 years.  He needs to match the aggression of the other conference commissioners.

Once uscuck and uclasuck leave for the BIG, then NO PAC schools will be playing any conferences games in Southern California. Let that sink in for a minute......... No chance to have recruits in So Cal making easy unofficial visits. No Mater Dei 4 and 5 stars attending games. No PAC school will have this other than an occassional OOC game. Just makes sense to invite SDSU in as a conference member.

As for FSU, Boise State, UNLV and other MWC teams. I dont know. Do they move the money meter? Do they enhance our recruiting foot print? Do they provide the game matchups that ESPN/ABC wants? Not really sure they do.......

Would Baylor, OK State, TCU, TT, SMU, Houston, BYU etc, create some great mid day matchups with the PAC for ESPN to broadcast against the BIG games on FOX, CBS, NBC? would those teams move the money meter? They certainly will give the PAC a recruiting presence in Texas. And some BIG 12 schools a recruiting window into the West Coast. Just food for thought......

I was reading some of the articles on the BIG 12 site. There appears to be a consensus that the 4 border schools would get an equal share in the BIG12. And as long as Oregon/Washington push for a bigger share then that door is wide open for the border schools to jump to the BIG12. Different sites different view points.

It may be profitable if the best 16 teams from the two conferences could form a 2 division league thats ESPN/ABC time slot attractive. Move the money meter aroind $40 million each school on a 4-6 year media rights deal. Then schedule the ACC for attactive OOC games for the networks.

Of course like most all the media articles this is all guess work. And anyone and everyones thoughts and opinions are welcome. Fun stuff....