FishDuck Article

Lanning’s Defense: Setting the Bar

As 36-year-old, first-year HC Dan Lanning takes the keys to the Oregon defense, we’re all wondering what exactly to expect. Lanning led a NCAA title-winning defense last year, so what can he do with the Ducks’ roster? Lanning inherits a defensive roster that would fall in the Top 3 in the SEC, as most of the players on the two-deep ...

Dan-Lanning_Oregon-Football-Video-300x30
FISHDUCK.COM

As 36-year-old, first-year HC Dan Lanning takes the keys to the Oregon defense, we're all wondering what exactly to expect. Lanning led...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Wow! Reading this just builds up the excitement for the season to start. I feel a good defense is the backbone of a team that does well. GO DUCKS!

Edited by Pennsylvania Duck
  • Go Ducks! 2

Let's play ball!  Can't wait for the season to start.  DNC you've written another great article.  Thank you, thank you!

I can't see any weak area of defense.   Depth and waves of talented aggressive Ducks creating havoc on offenses.

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

DAZENCONFUSED provided a robust summary of the defense and a forecast of what to expect. There are so many reasons to be optimistic about the Ducks players, team, and coaches.

The defense has disappointed me the past few seasons when I expected more preseason than what happened on the field. The cards have been dealt and it looks like a winning hand for this season.

It will be very interesting how the games play out, and to see coaches Lanning and Lupoi play their hand.

Edited by Notalot

On 8/10/2022 at 5:33 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Wow! Reading this just builds up the excitement for the season to start. I feel a good defense is the backbone of a team that does well. GO DUCKS!

We should all be excited we have elite talent on defense. I expect DJ, Funa, Dorlus, Sewell, Flowe and Bennett Willimas to be drafted next year. That just shows we are at the peak of this recruiting talent cycle on defense. 

If you missed Mr. FishDuck's Monday article on the front seven I suggest you go back and read it. His article further ties into mine as we lay out the Ducks defensive personnel. These are a must read for Ducks fans to get up to speed on who the two deep impact players you will be watching this fall.

Additionally, Mr. FishDuck will be breaking down some defensive nuts and bolts next week in his articles, and I will follow with a defensive preview of the Ducks matchup with the Georgia offense. 

Don't miss these articles as they will inform you and get you up to speed to watch the season opening game!

Popo-Aumavae_Tom-Corno-300x300-cropped.j
FISHDUCK.COM

Yes, the title is a bold claim. I was thinking in December that it could be true for 2022 before the portal transfers into Oregon occurred, and now I am much...

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:07 AM, Notalot said:

DAZENCONFUSED provided a robust summary of the defense and a forecast of what to expect. It will be very interesting how the games play out, and to see coaches Lanning and Lupoi play their hand.

Mr. FishDuck and I have laid out that "robust summary of the defensive personnel". But that is just the start my FishDuck friends!

Next week Mr. FishDuck will dig into that scheme of Lanning and Lupoi with informative articles for the FishDuck readers of the type I haven't seen anywhere else than on FishDuck!

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

DnC, excellent breakdown and analysis of the Ducks D players.

The only chance that Oregon has against the Dawgs is to stop their powerful SEC style run game. Thus forcing the Dawgs into 3rd and long. If they run successfully it will be a very long day for the Ducks D.

Coach Lanning beefed up that interior D line thru the portal and Sept. 3rd will provide the stiffest test all season.

IMHO, the Duck D will rise to the challenge. The D will be the Ducks strength in 2022. The talent is on the roster and for me i can barely contain my excitement.

Go Ducks.......

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/10/2022 at 6:06 AM, Smith72 said:

Let's play ball!  Can't wait for the season to start.  DNC you've written another great article.  Thank you, thank you!

I can't see any area of defense.   Depth and waves of talented aggressive Ducks creating havoc on offenses.

Go Ducks!

I'm glad you liked the article, lots of us are fired up about the Oregon defense. I've been writing about the offense but there is a lot to unpack with the defense.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:17 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

DnC, excellent breakdown and analysis of the Ducks D players.

The only chance that Oregon has against the Dawgs is to stop their powerful SEC style run game. Thus forcing the Dawgs into 3rd and long. If they run successfully it will be a very long day for the Ducks D.

Coach Lanning beefed up that interior D line thru the portal and Sept. 3rd will provide the stiffest test all season.

IMHO, the Duck D will rise to the challenge. The D will be the Ducks strength in 2022. The talent is on the roster and for me i can barely contain my excitement.

Go Ducks.......

I agree, the battle in the trenches to stop the Georgia run game is key. 

Great article. And as if The Athletic exists solely to

serve your needs, DC, Bruce Feldman just posted his rundown of the top 100 “freaks” in college football. Four Ducks made the list, including ranked as nigh as No 4. 

All four are on defense. 

Freakslist2.png
THEATHLETIC.COM

One hundred players who showcase jaw-dropping physical traits at their respective programs.

Edited by Drex Heikes
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2022 at 6:35 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Great article. And as if ESPN exists solely to

serve your needs, DC, Bruce Feldman just posted his rundown of the top 100 “freaks” in college football. Four Ducks made the list, including ranked as nigh as No 4. 

All four are on defense. 

Freakslist2.png
THEATHLETIC.COM

One hundred players who showcase jaw-dropping physical traits at their respective programs.

Pay site, but who are the four, maybe edit it?

• Applause 1

There are players who change the game, I think we will see Flowe as one of those players. The D-line will effect the game, but the speed and power of Flowe is going to be something to watch. 

I still remember the highlight of Flowe taking down Noah, who was play RB, in the Poly game when they were coming out of high school. We haven't seen what Justin can do yet, and when we do it is going to be a moment. 

I predict some DAT type moments on defense for Mr. Flowe, highlights we will remember!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oops. Thanks HaywardDuck.

That wasn’t ESPN app. Was The Athletic. My apologies. Still learning how to use this iPhone (after 10 years).

If you don’t get The Athletic my link was useless. The four Ducks: 

4.  DJ Johnson 

25. Christian Gonzalez

42. Noah Sewell

76. Justin Flowe

And I’m with you HD, we haven’t seen Flowe yet and by accounts of his teammates, he’s maybe the best there is, period. Hoping he stays healthy so we can enjoy him for a season. 

Edited by Drex Heikes
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/10/2022 at 6:46 AM, Haywarduck said:

There are players who change the game, I think we will see Flowe as one of those players. The D-line will effect the game, but the speed and power of Flowe is going to be something to watch. 

I still remember the highlight of Flowe taking down Noah, who was play RB, in the Poly game when they were coming out of high school. We haven't seen what Justin can do yet, and when we do it is going to be a moment. 

I predict some DAT type moments on defense for Mr. Flowe, highlights we will remember!

You nailed it on both. Losing Flowe last year was a huge blow., and this "sneaky good" Ducks DL will be big all year.

Now we need to get into the change of scheme between DRut to Lanning's and what that means.

On 8/10/2022 at 6:47 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Oops. If you don’t get ESPN on app that link was useless. The four Ducks: 

4.  DJ Johnson 

25. Christian Gonzalez

42. Noah Sewell

76. Justin Flowe

Wow thanks! DJ at #4, I've said he is going to blow up and go first round this year. Seems like DJ is already getting respect.

• Go Ducks! 1

Thanks again for a great article!  Wow, a healthy defense with all this talent and DL's schemes, looking forward to this year's games!

Looking to see how our front seven stack up against UGA's run game.  This defense will give our offense, with KD's schemes, scoring opportunities to capitalize on. 

This year's home game against Utah will be a much different game.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

One thing I love about this article is how DZC is not afraid to stick his neck out and make a bold assertion about the upside of this defense.  I agree with him, and we will be looking into the defense in the future as I begin to transition back from an opinion writer to analyst again.

How about this for a tease?

The origins of what Coach Lanning is doing now--has it's beginnings from the Oregon defense over ten years ago under Nick Aliotti!

giphy.gif

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

From Brooks to Kelly, UO built overwhelming teams with underwhelming talent (based on star ratings). With MC, we adopted the USC model of underwhelming teams with overwhelming talent. It feels like the Ducks are going to finally be putting the best of both worlds together.

The UGA game may be more than they can chew right out of the gate but after that, this may be a legit top ten team. The offense should be the funnest to watch since the Mariota days but the D may be venturing into uncharted waters. The season can't get here fast enough for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 7:53 AM, NJDuck said:

Thanks again for a great article!  Wow, a healthy defense with all this talent and DL's schemes, looking forward to this year's games!

Looking to see how our front seven stack up against UGA's run game.  This defense will give our offense, with KD's schemes, scoring opportunities to capitalize on. 

This year's home game against Utah will be a much different game.

On 8/10/2022 at 9:37 AM, Charles Fischer said:

One thing I love about this article is how DZC is not afraid to stick his neck out and make a bold assertion about the upside of this defense.  I agree with him, and we will be looking into the defense in the future as I begin to transition back from an opinion writer to analyst again.

How about this for a tease?

The origins of what Coach Lanning is doing now--has it's beginnings from the Oregon defense over ten years ago under Nick Aliotti!

giphy.gif

I think a huge factor in me making a bold assertion is that D-Rut was at times so passive with his scheme. He would show base pre-snap, then play base over and over. The first two possessions against UCLA are a great example as Chip shredded our defense for two nice scoring drives. The offensive line had to do very little thinking or communication in their blocking assignments. We weren't even stemming pre-snap.

Then D-Rut started use the blitz, stunts, show the LB on the line for a blitz and drop them at the snap. In other games we played a ton of bland base D until late in the game when we had to break out the blitz packages, and stunts to win.

Lanning is aggressive in his approach. Not only will he bring pressure from snap one if he feels it, but he is also going to show more looks, try to make the offense think more pre-snap. I think we will see more stemming pre-snap, more stunts, more LB blitzes, more LB's in the gap showing blitz and dropping.

We will also see things Mr. FishDuck will get into soon with his coming articles. 

I expect Lanning is going to play lots more pre-snap cat and mouse, plus he is going to flat out get after teams and use our explosive LB's more effective this year. 

I think our defensive recruiting is going to blow up after the season starts and kids see what Lanning is doing and how players are on attack mode. Kids will want to come play in the system.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:59 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I think our defensive recruiting is going to blow up after the season starts and kids see what Lanning is doing and how players are on attack mode. Kids will want to come play in the system.

Yes, more please!!🙌

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Perfectly stated, and I completely agree.  We may even have to break some current agreements with verbals to make room for what may come our way...

And we could be very hot in the portal.

Mr. FishDuck

D-Fence

D-Fence

D-Fence

Love it. Last shutout was what? 2012 vs Arizona?

Can't wait.

If the players all buy in, it will be coming in waves! 

• Thumbs Up 2

An aggressive defensive scheme with top notch athletes…hmmmm, YES, please!!!

I believe Lanning and staff has an opportunity to be “setting the bar” for the Ducks future recruiting as well. Opening up the offense, and playing aggressively on defense is a good start. Winning against tough opponents attracts attention even faster. 

Always a lot of reasons to be optimistic at this time of year. This team has a lot of potential. Let’s see what that potential can do on game day. 

Duck football tickets need to be a must have again. Autzen Stadium wants to Rock!!!

Go Ducks!!!

• Salute 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/10/2022 at 6:35 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Great article. And as if The Athletic exists solely to

All four are on defense. 

Freakslist2.png
THEATHLETIC.COM

There is a separate thread on OBDF this morning on  thus article. Worth a look. 

On 8/10/2022 at 12:37 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I always liked Nick Aliotti.  I don't think we appreciated how good of a DC he really was.  During the Chip Kelly era the total amount of minutes per game our offense was on the field compare to the defense was big.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, DazeNconfused said:

think a huge factor in me making a bold assertion is that D-Rut was at times so passive with his scheme. He would show base pre-snap, then play base over and over.

We beat tOSU last year in large part because their since dethroned DC thought he could outmuscle the Ducks and stayed in a base man defense, which Moorhead just schemed around and AB executed well. Vanilla defense can be outschemed. I get the impression that DL will trust his defense to run the more complicated formations that he found so successful when guiding UGA to the NC with the best defense in the country.

• Applause 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:43 AM, NJDuck said:

I always liked Nick Aliotti.  I don't think we appreciated how good of a DC he really was.  During the Chip Kelly era the total amount of minutes per game our offense was on the field compare to the defense was big.

The wheels fell off for Helf without him. If Nick stays Helf keeps his job.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love seeing so many people fired up for this defense and the Ducks first kickoff!

On 8/10/2022 at 10:50 AM, DazeNconfused said:

The wheels fell off for Helf without him. If Nick stays Helf keeps his job.

If Nick had been named as head coach, and Helf remained as OC....who knows where we would be?

• Wow 2
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/10/2022 at 6:41 AM, Haywarduck said:

Pay site, but who are the four, maybe edit it?

RE: "Freaks," I posted the article in the main topics and excerpted the four Oregon players. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I love seeing so many people fired up for this defense and the Ducks first kickoff!

First injury of the year... I just separated my should running through the wall of my office! Go Ducks!!!

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

the USC model of underwhelming teams with overwhelming talent.

Perfect description of what we've seen through numerous coaches at USC over the years. Love it.

And, sadly, I have to agree that it became the Ducks' model over the past few years.

But, as others have said above, it seems like Lanning will be more aggressive in approach, and, while we can expect the Ducks to get burned on occasion through that approach, it'll also likely result in an increase in takeaways and TFLs. Those are real momentum builders.

Fun read, Confucius. Somebody hit the "fast forward" button to get me to September...PRONTO!

As you note, the D-line has to make us all drool a bit, thinking about the potential and depth there. Then, there's the LB group; can't wait to see these guys wreak havoc on our opponents.

For me, the key is the DBs. I'm glad we snagged Gonzalez with his game experience and obvious skillset. It'll be good to get Williams back on the field. And, as for the rest of the group, I hope they mature quickly and begin to realize their potential. And, I hope we've seen the end of the soft cushion form of coverage. Watching opponents march down the field by throwing a continuous stream of 8-10 yard passes just kills me. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dang it, super busy today. Couldn't get in on this conversation.  What a great thread. Yes to everything thats been said.

It wasn't very long ago that most of us had concern about every position group except LB and O-line. Oh how the tide has changed from the beginning of the off season to the end.

Seems the only group of concern now is QB. It's not really a concern, more about differing opinion on how the room should line out 1-3. Pretty good problem to have.

Think about it. Maybe, just maybe we can retire the 15 year stretch of bend don't break defense. It would be nice to be in top five in 3rd down, 3 and out and starting field position. Give the offense the short field. 

Amazing the shift in 8 short months. Good to be a Duck fan.

• Thumbs Up 2