FishDuck Article

Beware Kicking the Dawg: DeBoer Bites Back

With their new HC, the Huskies are finally going to have some serious bite to go with their bark.

UW-Athletics-Kalen-DeBoer-300x300-croppe
FISHDUCK.COM

The 'hubris' that exudes from Husky Nation has made Oregon's dominance over Washington on the gridiron all the more...

• Great post! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for the Op/Ed about DeBoer. He has a great offensive mind, and should create new interest in the Huskies football program, and field more competitive teams in the conference.

As was highlighted, DeBoer is an offensive wizard. He is multi-faceted with schemes and formations, cadence, snap timing, and uses decoys effectively to consitently produce gaudy offensive statistics.

To restore Washington's football will require more from DeBoer that a great offense. How long it takes to build his staff, convert the culture, recruit better talent, and get the President, AD, and boosters on his bandwagon, and get the players on the same page is unknown. The Transfer Portal will be DeBoer's friend for at least the early years of his tenure.

There is much to watch for in the coming years inside of Husky football. I like the coach, but really hope the Ducks, and the Duck's defense will keep their webbed feet on the neck of the Huskies not letting them up.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's been my thought that DeBoer is going to be a problem at Udub...however, I believe as brilliant as he is offensively, CDL is defensively...and we have superior talent. I expect that in the chess match CDL will go on the offensive by showing blitzes and shifts himself, which their offensive line will then have to adjust to!  For those that are students of the game, this should be a phenomenal match to watch!

So yes, the pups are better than they were and should be much improved, but we'll still continue to own this series...and it's only bc USC has overtaken them as my most hated team that I can even admit this.  It's unfortunate to admit, but I'll actually be cheering for the pups to win their OOC games this season for the first time in what may be forever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thank you for this excellent article on DeBoer.  I agree with both Notalot's and Wrathis responses.  It has opened my eyes in what he can produce, raising his team's on field prowess to a higher level.  I decided to call his scheme 'Everything Including The Kitchen Sink" offense.

I do believe in what coach Landing is producing at Oregon.  We will always muzzle and put the mutts down!

Yes, I too will root for the Huskies to drag the trojan off his high horse and defeat him!

Go Ducks, fly high!

Edited by NJDuck
  • Go Ducks! 2

The first two posters are well aware of DeBoer it seems. I wrote this article to inform Duck fans who maybe didn't know much about DeBoer or were sleeping on him.

In response to Notalots post... Debore brought almost all of his staff from Fresno St. with his. His OC-QB coach. Co-Dc and LB coach, Co-Dc and safeties coach, the RB', the cornerbacks' coaches, the special teams.

He did make two hires. He kept the UW OL coach who had been at UW for years. DeBoer poached the Wisconsion DL coach who had been there for around 6 years coaching the DL. Inoke Beckterfield a former Bark Eater who was Beavis MVP and won the Morris award as Pac's best DL. 

DeBoer has his staff settled. Possibly the best OL in the Pac-12 Jaxson Kirkland (Husky legacy player) applied for eligibility and got a final year and is coming back. I saw him with DeBoer on Pac-12 media day, and he was talking about how he cried when he got the news.

DeBoer said it was emotional for him when Kirkland called to tell him because he had spent time on the phone talking to Kirkland's family and he knew how important and how much UW meant to the family and Jaxson. 

I think DeBoer already gets how important the UW program is to longtime Huskies and DeBoer is a culture coach. 

I think UW will be at worse 7-5 and go to a bowl game this year and I'd peg DeBoer for a 10-win season soon.

If the Ducks had hired DeBoer I'd have been over the moon, he is that good. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Great post! 2

On 8/11/2022 at 5:59 AM, NJDuck said:

Thank you for this excellent article on DeBoer.  I agree with both Notalot's and Wrathis responses.  It has opened my eyes in what he can produce, raising his team's on field prowess to a higher level.  I decided to call his scheme 'Everything Including The Kitchen Sink" offense.

I do believe in what coach Landing is producing at Oregon.  We will always muzzle and put the mutts down!

Yes, I too will root for the Huskies to drag the trojan off his high horse and defeat him!

Go Ducks, fly high!

Notalot called him a wizard on offense, you can get much better praise than that. DeBoer got some transfers in to help this year.

But the 2024 class will be a test for his recruiting chops. For the 2023 class he has taken lots of three-star guys early to fill his class. 

I think we will soon again have the Ducks-UW game being a huge matchup in the conference race. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

He’s the real deal, head coach who has proven he can build winners. I expect Huskies to rival USC as most improved Pac 12 team this year. Too bad they don’t play each other. 

Nicely done DNC. 

• Thumbs Up 3

DazedNconfused, I am learning so much from your articles. I have relatives who are Huskies and they are speaking so highly of DeBoer.

They keep on telling me, "Just wait!" Hope we're able to keep one step ahead so I don't have to hear them rant.

• Go Ducks! 1

Agree DeBoer is a very good coach. I will say Oregon has a way of creating great coaches, and the dawg program has the exact opposite effect. DeBoer will have to break the streak of coaches either struggling at the mistake on the lake or just quitting. 

I don't wish ill will on anyone, but the program up north, I look forward to continued struggles.

• Whew! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fuskies hoping to return to the Chris Peterson glory days when he went a whopping 2-4 against the Ducks.

Not having a good understanding of the SEC offenses DL dealt with, it would be interesting to know if he faced any ‘kitchen sink’ OCs while at Georgia.

Like many of you...this is an article I did not like, but needed to see.  I am grateful to DZC for doing the homework, and presenting it in a way that I don't think is offensive to either side.  DeBoer will bring them back to respectability, IMHO, but whether he can make them elite will depend upon his recruiting skills.  Not a good start thus far with only two 4-Star players on Rivals out of 19 committed?  Whew! 

Let's assume he gets one more...a total of three 4-Stars out of 23 signed would place you about No. 34 in the standings last year. Yes I understand his record of doing-more-with-less, but that recruiting will not put you into the Playoffs.

And if he does begin to recruit well, I think it will take a while as Oregon loads up further.

Jake Browning goes down_Kevin Cline.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Also the streaks are DeBoer, 0-1, the dawgs 0-3, and I look for those streaks to continue and grow against Oregon.

Perspective is important. I was just chatting with my Husky cousin about the "rivalry"? How Oregon has dominated the last 20 years; he brought up that if you took out that 12 game winning streak by Oregon it would be a lot closer.

It's going to be interesting watching which team improves the most under their new coach, USC or UW. They don't play each other this season; UW doesn't play Utah either. They start with a home game against the Golden Flashes from Kent State, where Don James started, then PSU, Portland State, not Penn State, then the Spartans, while USC starts with Rice, Stanford, and DeBoer's old school, Fresno State. 

On 8/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, 30Duck said:

Perspective is important. I was just chatting with my Husky cousin about the "rivalry"? How Oregon has dominated the last 20 years; he brought up that if you took out that 12 game winning streak by Oregon it would be a lot closer.

fuskie brain: If you just flipped around 2-15, it'd be 15-2. Take that Duck fans!

• Haha 3

Totally agree that DeBoer is an elite offensive mind and good coach. There is some cause for concern with him at the helm in the future if he can fix his recruiting which is pretty abysmal currently. I imagine that will change based upon on field performance, scheme and time at a P5.  

However, in terms of this season, they have significant issues on offense as they have arguably the worst stable of RB's in the conference and the OL isn't looking so great. The offense has been stymied by the defense in practice and quite frankly, that defense is a shell of itself. They have literally 1 guy in the front 7 worth a damn and  in the front 7 that's notable. Their DL is not going to be good and their ILB's are doogISHT. Losing their All Pac db's to the NFL isn't going to help.  They have serious personnel issues this season but an easy schedule and some of that wizardry should allow for them to get 7-8 wins or so but,...they are a bit of a hot mess based upon what I've heard.  

• Go Ducks! 1

I agree that DeBoer is a great coach and I think he could possibly turn that mess up north around in 3-4 years. The good news for us Duck fans is the delusional alum/fan base probably will not give him that much time. 

I really hope I'm wrong as I miss getting excited for a good UO/UW game.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/11/2022 at 9:45 AM, 30Duck said:

It's going to be interesting watching which team improves the most under their new coach, USC or UW. They don't play each other this season; UW doesn't play Utah either. They start with a home game against the Golden Flashes from Kent State, where Don James started, then PSU, Portland State, not Penn State, then the Spartans, while USC starts with Rice, Stanford, and DeBoer's old school, Fresno State. 

USC already has.  Without Riley they do not have near the team to start this season.  USC has the offensive talent to easily be top 3 in the country.  They have the most talented combination of receivers and QB in the country.  Washington will NEVER be able to say that even if Jimmy Johnson coached them.

On 8/11/2022 at 11:25 AM, Pac10again said:

USC already has.  Without Riley they do not have near the team to start this season.  USC has the offensive talent to easily be top 3 in the country.  They have the most talented combination of receivers and QB in the country.

Yes, USC has some great skill players. But, their OL is VERY suspect. This isn't 7 man football.

What is funny is that I posted this article on a Husky forum--as it is respectful of their coach.  Yet they would not clear it to show on their forum...because it came from a Duck!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Fuskies???? wut can I say? LOL