Charles Fischer

Want to Know How to Start a FIGHT on This Forum?

Q: Charles, what I wrote was pretty benign...barely anything, and yet you deleted it and sent me a violation email.  Isn't that over-the-top?

A: What you wrote was fairly tame, but I look at..."will it start something?"  In the early years of moderating...I would agonize and decide to not do anything about a denigration or a political post that was minor in nature, as I did not want to haggle with the OBD member about it.

But posts that are even barely offensive/political will generate a response from someone, and that receives another response and the result is a terrible fight. Threads of insults, name-calling, people leaving the site for good...these were ghastly events that I resolved to never allow to occur again.  And they could have all been prevented by removing the first post that went over the line.

So yes, I stomp on posts that stray over-the-line.  Not only does it Prevent Forest Fires, but "anything you allow...you will see again--soon." We do not want to set a new low bar for posting.

This is not about your opinion on a topic, as I want to see all of those.  Disagreement is not only allowed but encouraged; it is when people start to get personal or political that the line is crossed.

Q: Fine, then I'm out.

A: Yep, we have many people who upon seeing a violation email declare that they are not posting anymore.  My attitude is, "if you are tough enough to violate our rules...you are tough enough to receive a violation email."

Besides, the email tells people that, "you are not banned, or even warned.  I am simply notifying you of the violation, and then we forget about it and move on."  And 99% of you do, as we all make a mistake on occasion, (me too!) and we need some slack for the majority here who are good people.

But some OBD members are very sensitive, and even though he told me often how he appreciates our rules? "I love the rules until they are applied to me!"

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

And remember, "Only YOU can prevent forest fires."

And remember, we don't need no stinkin badges.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ok... but I was looking for the tip on how to start a fight in here?  

Edited by Pac10again
  • Yikes! 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:19 AM, Pac10again said:

Ok... but I was looking for the tip on how to start a fight in here?  

In the rules....

No. 13: Trying to Sidestep the Rules with Sarcasm? Sarcasm is a subtle form of belittling, of making fun of an individual or a group for their view on a topic. It inhibits people from posting their opinion in the future, and thus is forbidden on FishDuck; we do not want any form of maligning behaviors, (no matter how minor) on FishDuck because of differences of opinion.

No. 14: No SNARKY posts or responses, as this can be a variation of sarcasm, but also can be flippantly insulting and/or a derivative of one of the violations above.  It is not polite and respectful as we require on this site, thus it will be deleted.

Mr. FishDuck

This is how I prevent forest fires 😏

Edited by JDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

Interesting how several of us remember "Only you can prevent forest fires." In 200l the line was changed to "Only you can prevent wildfires," and that is the slogan today. But I grew up hearing "forest fires" and that's what I still think even when I hear the new slogan. 😄

• Thumbs Up 1

If you give um an inch, they’ll take a mile?

Better get them before they start

20201020_104546.thumb.jpg.64bf75698053a56b8efcad208e5715fe.jpg

• Yikes! 1

Those that get offended because of a 'kind reminder' tend to be those that think more of themselves than of others. This isn't the forum of demeaning arguments. It's actually quite simple, share a thought or article. Leave everything else off the website. 

I can be wrong, but I don't have to be abused because of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2022 at 6:07 PM, 1Funduck said:

It's actually quite simple, share a thought or article. Leave everything else off the website. 

Perfectly stated.  It is not hard, but a small number make it that way.

And to think when I began...we had no rules.  "We are all adults...right?"  The "no rules" lasted about a month, until people started doing stuff.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/11/2022 at 5:18 PM, Log Haulin said:

Better get them before they start

20201020_104546.thumb.jpg.64bf75698053a56b8efcad208e5715fe.jpg

Hey we stopped this one yesterday

Sheep Rock.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

As someone who has  been called out a couple of times in the past (once when I didn't agree at all with the point Charles was making) I do appreciate that he takes the time to keep this blog civil. 

There is nothing  worse in my opinion to have a very interesting thread become intolerable by a couple of weak-ego  commentators who get into it like a couple of 8-year-olds on the schoolyard.

There are times when I have had wanted to post on this site when my opinion was so at variance  with one or more other participants that I saw almost no way to state my views without starting  a fight.  Sometimes it is because I haven't the time to carefully compose a post so as to minimize the likelihood of conflict. Suffice to say that may be  on me,  but I do respect the rules by which I have agreed to abide.

And political posts: Hurrah for the ban on that type of poison!  We are fans, not partisans.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1