Wrathis

Superstition and Suppositions...

I was having a "twitter beef" with some Beav2.0 troll about Jurrion Dickey. His argument was that the Beavs and not the Ducks was the place to go for WR talent.  Of course they've had Chad Johnson, TJ-Houshmanzadah, Cooks, Wheaton and Hodgins compared to our paltry few.  My thought was that the coaches at OSU that put those receivers in the NFL were long gone and that if the coaching staff left, then their past receivers didn't much matter in attracting new talent and being a "Receiver Pipeline".

All of that got me to thinking: is there something to a school producing lets say, receivers, aside from the coaches?  It seems highly illogical to me that there's "something in the Corvallis water" that makes them better at producing receivers than us. I had countered ol' Beav2.0 by saying that Junior Adams having a better coaching pedigree than Hynson and that it was about the coaches, not the school but he didn't seem to think so.

That being said, what do you all think?  Is Oregon a pipeline for defensive backs regardless of who's coaching?  Is tOSU "Wide Receiver U" or is it just luck that excellent production comes from there regardless of coaching?  Y'all help me out here!

Talking about the Beavers as "WR U" is sort of silly.  Historically, sure, they've put some guys in the league (and good for them).  But I don't recall any great successes of the current staff, and that's what matters.

It's sort of like when announcers are saying stuff like "Arkansas' men's hoop team has never beaten San Diego State!" when they've played three times before and the most recent time was 1973.  Yeah, that's an unbeatable trend right there...

Beav2.0 is a known DUCK hater  and antagonist on Twitter.   Best not to spend anytime fanning his flames.  When all else fails he brings up their NCAA championship in baseball.  

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2022 at 11:09 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Beavers as "WR U" 

KR, is that “Water Rodent” University?

On 8/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Talking about the Beavers as "WR U" is sort of silly.

This is my mistake. tOSU refers to THE Ohio State University as they are largely regarded as "Wide Receiver U", but I can see how that got lost when the discussion was about the Beavs.  

Point being, is there any relevance to a University being a pipeline for a particular position regardless of who's coaching there?

When you’re getting beat down all the time you have to throw the football a lot to catch up. Hence, good WR numbers.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ask him how many of those WR's have won, never mind played in, a Rose Bowl.

On 8/11/2022 at 8:06 PM, Wrathis said:

This is my mistake. tOSU refers to THE Ohio State University as they are largely regarded as "Wide Receiver U", but I can see how that got lost when the discussion was about the Beavs.  

Point being, is there any relevance to a University being a pipeline for a particular position regardless of who's coaching there?

Ah, gotcha. 

I don't think "regardless," I think it depends on the coaching succession.  If a whole new staff comes in, then everything is likely out the window.  If the HC leaves and the OC or DC takes over, and much of the staff is retained, then I can see the pipeline being maintained.

I guess the one exception might be if the staff leaves but they already have some stars on the team - if those guys put up big numbers and get drafted high, I can see high schoolers looking at that and saying that team is a good one to go to.  That could cause continuation of the pipeline.  But if you have a bunch of stars in 2012, and then in 2016 you have a new group of stars under a different staff, my take on that is coincidence.

The WR stands for "We're Ruined". The Beav's last out right championship, was in the old (as in VERY) Pacific Coast Conference . I'd just been born,

and I believe that it caused my mother to miss carry. The Beav's managed to tie us that year, and got stomped in the Rose Bowl 35-19 by Iowa ...🦆