HawaiiDuck

Wilner: Curse of Larry Scott and Two Most Obvious Pac-12 Expansion Targets

are San Diego State and Houston (?).

The curse of Larry Scott continues. It turns out that the Pac-12 Network returned far far less money than we knew per school. Almost $800k per game which was far less income than should have been received. If the PAC breaks up entirely, the lion's share of the blame should be pointed directly at Champagne Larry.

And sorry, it looks like more night games are coming.

• Like 1

If Subway offered Washington a billion-dollar promotional deal but Kalen DeBoer had to coach each game in a sandwich outfit and the team had to become the Washington Meatball Marinaras, should they do it? — @Matt_Hartley23

No. The money would be nice, but the damage to the UW brand would be irreparable.

I beg to differ. At this point that would improve their brand lol

• Haha 2

How could the AD's and University Presidents let this happen and continue? While Scott may have been the key perpetrator, the others were accessories to the crimes.

Larry Scott would not have lasted so long on either "Yellowstone" or "Ozark".

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Yes, Larry Scott did so much damage to the Pac-12.  Unbelievable that the presidents/chancellors just stood by and let it happen instead of kicking him to the curb years ago.  When they finally did, the damage was done.

It's still hard for me to believe that grabbing the best in the Big 12 and the best in the Pac-12 to form a new conference would not bring them bigger media dollars.

Too bad the following would not work, but I am sure there are too many obstacles in the way to make it happen: TCU, OSU, TT, Baylor, Huston, BYU, Kansas, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Utah, SDSU, ASU, Arizona

* Biggest TV markets:  Bay Area, Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, Seattle, Phoenix

* Biggest Brand: Oregon with Portland TV market

* Utah/BYU with Salt Lake.  BYU has a independent national brand rated 21st in academics amongst all universities.  Of course we know where Stanford is rated in academics.

SDSU would help bring in some Southern California TV market with San Diego and surrounding areas.

Strike a deal with the ACC in cross games.  This would bring in Pacific, Mountain, Central time zones with possible games with the ACC would include Eastern time zone.

The conference would have 9 schools in the top 30 media markets (5, 6, 8, 11, 12, 16, 21, 27, 30) in the nation.  Plus the media markets in the ACC with cross games.  I would think this could make a strong conference in football and basketball.

This is just my personal opinion.  But again, those who have such knowledge think differently.

Edited by NJDuck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:33 AM, NJDuck said:

Strike a deal with the ACC in cross games.  This would bring in Pacific, Mountain, Central time zones with possible games with the ACC would include Eastern time zone.

I think a preseason Pac/ ACC bowl doubleheader in LA would be a solid move.

On 8/12/2022 at 12:24 AM, HawaiiDuck said:

And sorry, it looks like more night games are coming.

"In theory, it could offer weekly kickoffs at 7:30 p.m. Pacific on Friday and Saturday night for 13 weeks. That's 26 games, with little or no competition, in primetime windows for the West Coast and Mountain Time Zone audiences."

The only night games I watch are Duck games, and then I'm in my jammies ready for the 20-second walk to the bedroom as soon as the game ends. I can't believe that the  audience/money for a night game compares to say, a 12:30 start time, especially in the Central and Eastern Time zones where almost no one watches West Coast night games.

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/12/2022 at 6:12 AM, Notalot said:

Larry Scott would not have lasted so long on either "Yellowstone" or "Ozark".

Rip would have taken him to the Train Station 

To me, the biggest problem with Scott was that he perfectly personified the out of touch fine wine and caviar mentality of the university presidents. They all saw the Pac as an exclusive gated community and not the isolated runt of the liter the conference has become.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1