Pennsylvania Duck

Duck Basketball's 10 Highest Rated Commits of All Time

I can hardly remember what Bol Bol did while he was a Duck. Sad what could have been.

10865864.png
247SPORTS.COM

Looking back at Oregon basketball's 10 highest rated commits

Next year four 5* and a 4 * PG running it all. Looking good for the flock. WOW 😳

• Mic drop 1

Yeah, and look at what most of these guys contributed to the program.  Walker - almost nothing.  King - not bad.  Jabari Brown - nothing.  Dante - not a ton so far; jury is still out.  Troy Brown - pretty good for a year.  Ware - TBD.  Hairston - very solid.  Evans - TBD.  Cook - TBD.  Bol - awesome for nine whole games.

In other words, not a Ron Lee, Terrell Brandon, Jordan Bell, or Payton Pritchard in the bunch.

It's just hard to get too excited about hoops recruits.  The really good ones probably won't be here for long, don't pan out, or are prima donnas who want to leave the first time they hit a pothole on the way to the arena; the 4-stars and 3-stars probably will be here longer but don't tend to move the needle in fan excitement or get website headlines.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

And I am still most excited about the young man who committed last year, Jackson Shelstad. When these highly rated kids do something for Oregon's team, other than signing I will get more excited.

At the end of the close elite eight Virginia game, 5 star Louis King played hero ball to try to win it but all I wanted was for whatever star Paul White to take a shot that had a 50/50 chance of going in. I'd way rather see some decent four stars stick around 3-4 years and develop good team chemistry than a bunch of 5 star one and dones just use the UO for a highlight reel before heading pro.

Zion Williamson, RJ Barrett and Cam Reddish all on the same team not only didn't win a championship, they nearly got bounced by Taco Fall. Seems like if Altman can land top level one and dones, he could build a solid team that he could coach up. It was fun watching guys like Freddie Jones and the Lukes go from freshmen with potential to legit top ten draft picks. Will we even remember who was on this team five years from now?

It's such a different situation in basketball than in football (although some of that is changing with NIL and the portal).  Each starter is 20% of the players out there in basketball, but 4.5% in football.  Football players know they're somewhere in college for a couple of years at least, and there's no G League to run off to.  Basketball seems to contribute more to a prima donna mentality than football.  Basketball lends itself more to hero ball, because one superstar like LeBron truly can take a mediocre team to the finals, whereas a superstar like Dan Marino still needs a team around him.  

I'll take almost all the 5-stars we can get in football.  In basketball, I'm with The Kamikaze Kid - give me five talented team-first guys who want to be here for 3 - 4 years over an all-star team any day.

• Thumbs Up 1