FishDuck Article

Dillingham: 'I’m a Better OC Because of Lanning’s Defensive Expertise'

Listening to interviews with OC Kenny Dillingham is exciting, and it was even better to see many of his principals on display in the Oregon Spring Game. He is creating a “growth” culture on offense begun by the head coach Dan Lanning, and as an example of this new focus–Coach Dillingham was pleased to hear how Seven McGee spoke of ...

Kenny-Dillingham_Memphis-Athletics-300x3
FISHDUCK.COM

Listening to interviews with OC Kenny Dillingham is exciting, and it was even better to see many of his principals on display in the Oregon Spring...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Mr. FishDuck, excellent article today on our coaches.  I too am looking forward to adjustments during the game - especially after halftime!

Charles said, "The in-game adjustments from the sideline bodes well this year, and these comments point to exciting times coming on the offensive side of the football."

The daily improvement preached to the players is also practiced by the coaches. The shared expertise and willingness to work together shows this staff is a tight team!

• Go Ducks! 1

Right on, Charles!

Dillingham is breath of fresh air. I love that he answers questions directly and quickly and simply swats away those he thinks are a waste.. Remind you of any Kelly? 

As you indicated, the test will be continuing to be relentless with the creative plays when the team sputters for a couple of possessions. 

Cristobal’s teams would do the opposite. It was like a car stuck in a snowdrift. Instead of getting out with a shovel, the coaches sat there spinning tires, wondering why the snow didn’t remove itself from under the chassis. 

Hey, if the same 8 plays aren’t working, try number 9 or 10. 

The Auburn v Oregon game you cited was great example. Dillingham outfoxed Oregon in the end. He got out with a shovel.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This new top down philosophy of "How can I get better everyday?" is blowing my mind. What a change from "I'm the smartest guy in the room." Mario. I believe we've gone from top ten players with top fifty coaching to top ten players with top five coaching. Not only is the future looking bright, it's looks to be arriving much sooner than expected.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks for the article, Charles.

Sean McVay has proven that young brilliant coaches can win a super bowl at 36.

Now we have Dan Lanning who at 36 won a Natty as the DC for our head coach. Of all the hires for OC he could make he gets 32yo OC Dilly. 

These young coaches have gone through their learning curve and development recently, but they seem to never want to stop learning or evolve. Stagnation isn't a thing with them.

• Thumbs Up 3

A coordinator better because of the head coach, 'WHAT??????????????.' 

'How about we run the pistol,' 'I know just how to use that.'

'We have a qb who has a gun for an arm,' 'I'll let you know exactly when and where to let him throw, until then we'll you those two pistol plays I like.'

'I think we have some TE's who can get open,' 'What are you crazy, teach them how to block!'

• Haha 3

"You might recall the story a player recounted in a FishDuck interview where he stated that Lanning was “brilliant” as the coach called out plays and defensive coverages in the Super Bowl…before they actually happened?"

The key being that "they actually happened." For a time I sat next to former high-school football coach who would call out plays--90% of which were wrong! 😆

• Haha 3

While not every OL who aspires to the head job stays mind-locked in the trenches, Mario seems to be a classic example of that. The more competitive a game became requiring tactical agility and creativeness, the more he would put his head down and plow straight ahead.

Mario seems to understand and believe that one thing, and that one thing only.

From what I’ve read, DL appears to ‘see’ the whole game, to enjoy the anticipation of tactics and strategy like a kid with a joy stick, but one who knows where he’s going, and how to plan to get there. 

Best of all, he sounds like he never stops being a student of the game.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

When Chip was at Oregon the offense was the narrative, the defense was filler episodes, if you missed one it didn't really matter. The two units this season have equal billing, will truly complement each other.  This is how Alabama, the-Ohio state, Clemson and Georgia won their Natty's. LSU was pretty much an Offensive show. Neither Dillingham or Lupoi is standing in the background, and thankfully, Lanning is fine with them getting the spotlight

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Throughout my career, I have found myself learning something from literally everyone I have ever worked with.  Sometimes it's a behavior or task hack that I want to emulate, sometimes it's observing something that I know I will never do. Either way, I have always felt it important to keep learning.

I appreciate our coaching staff learning from each other.  No one person knows everything about everything (Mari nO offense being the sole exception, of course.... ha-ha).  You never know when you are going to meet someone who will share "why don't you try it this way?"

As other posters have noted, we have transitioned from a D9 Cat (very powerful, very slow) to roomful of brainiacs tuning up the Formula 1 car.  I'm excited!

Go Ducks!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

A talented athlete going from middle school to high school finds that seeking ways to improve leads to success.  It is sad to see an athlete who thinks they already have it perfected.

The same is true for the transitions HS to college and college to the pros.  Being "Addicted to Success" depends upon wanting to improve and taking input from any and all sources.

Charles said, "Wanting the players to be 'Addicted to Success,' is quite the mind-set that the Oregon coaches want to develop at Oregon."

I am impressed that this is becoming the Culture of Our Beloved Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/13/2022 at 1:33 PM, olcodgerduck said:

Throughout my career, I have found myself learning something from literally everyone I have ever worked with

So true, and by listening and observing, not talking over them. In the Navy the LT. was in charge, but he or she knew that the best thing they could do was listen to the chief who'd seen it all. Even the most brilliant idea can be improved with input. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

This was a great article!  The subtle point being made that the coaches trust each other enough to learn from each other speaks really well of the staff.

This team is shaping up to be special but we can guarantee there will be some serious bumps along the road.  Having a coaching staff that can provide constructive feedback to one another that doesn't hit an ego wall is going to be a major advantage for Oregon.

Even better modeling that behavior will lead to athletes that can do the same.  DL's IQ is well known but this staff has a chance to be greater than it's single best asset or even the sum of its parts.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1