DazeNconfused

Lanning Says He Doesn't Know If There's A QB Leader Post-Scrimmage

Q: DO YOU FEEL THAT THERE IS A LEADER IN THE QB COMPETITION YET?

DL: "I don't know. Everyone has had shining moments. I don't feel there is one who's separated themselves from the others. I think there's certainly room for improvement for each one of those guys. They've all had really good moments, and they've all had really poor moments. I feel really confident that we have quarterbacks that we can win with, which is a big positive. 

Q: Is the lack of a separation a good thing or would you like to have seen more?

DL: "I like to know that you have multiple quarterbacks that you feel really good about. That's where I'm at right now. I feel really good about that right now. 

Q: How was the running back distribution for the day? 

DL: "It was good. Our goal was to be even across the board. I'd have to look at our numbers to see what they were like. We wanted to see what each of those guys had. We know what some of them have, but we were wanting to see each guy get touches and each guy get in the game. 

Two of the QB's threw a pick in the scrimmage today and I get the Vibe Bo was one watching Lanning's post scrimmage press comments.

Lanning said tonight all the QB's can improve but he feels good that he has multiple guys who can run the offense and win with.

Sounds like this QB battle isn't over and without the separation of one QB we could see a shorter leash on the QB then with AB last year. 

So, it's either good news we got a competition and more than one guy, or it's bad we don't have one standing out?

Edited by DazeNconfused

Makes sense, it's first scrimmage. The fact that he said we have multiple QB's he feels confident he can win with is super encouraging. In the live interview it was said with conviction. 

Good to hear we might be further along with the underclassmen then we thought. Wouldn't say who threw the INT's. 

All in all, sounds like it was a productive scrimage. 

On 8/13/2022 at 5:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

The fact that he said we have multiple QB's he feels confident he can win with is super encouraging. In the live interview it was said with conviction. 

Ahem! That's not an understatement you just said. It makes me really excited we have guys in a real QB battle.

• Go Ducks! 1

He pointed to the offense's tempo giving the defense a hard time initially.

AMEN!  

On 8/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Q: DO YOU FEEL THAT THERE IS A LEADER IN THE QB COMPETITION YET?

DL: "I don't know. Everyone has had shining moments. I don't feel there is one who's separated themselves from the others. I think there's certainly room for improvement for each one of those guys. They've all had really good moments, and they've all had really poor moments. I feel really confident that we have quarterbacks that we can win with, which is a big positive. 

Q: Is the lack of a separation a good thing or would you like to have seen more?

DL: "I like to know that you have multiple quarterbacks that you feel really good about. That's where I'm at right now. I feel really good about that right now. 

Q: How was the running back distribution for the day? 

DL: "It was good. Our goal was to be even across the board. I'd have to look at our numbers to see what they were like. We wanted to see what each of those guys had. We know what some of them have, but we were wanting to see each guy get touches and each guy get in the game. 

I am SO GLAD I don't go to these any longer.  C'mon....did he really tell us anything?  If DZC and I were there...you would know a whole-lot more!  He gave us a bunch of classic "blah-blah," although that is what all coaches do.

And then...when you do ask a great question that gets answered?  All the other journalists are right there recording it, and everyone reports the same "scoop" you had.  No, I am quite satisfied to let all the other outlets report the news and then we discuss it or do our own analysis of it after the games.

Yes, I have a pet-peeve with Coachspeak.

Now this was a scoop...

Taylor-Hart-closing-in-on-Nick-Foles-sac
FISHDUCK.COM

(Please note that this white paper was written and distributed onto a number of Oregon forums in June of 2010, but this article of the White Paper was not...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I am SO GLAD I don't go to these any longer.  C'mon....did he really tell us anything?  If DZC and I were there...you would know a whole-lot more!  He gave us a bunch of classic "blah-blah," although that is what all coaches do.

And then...when you do ask a great question that gets answered?  All the other journalists are right there recording it, and everyone reports the same "scoop" you had.  No, I am quite satisfied to let all the other outlets report the news and then we discuss it or do our own analysis of it after the games.

Yes, I have a pet-peeve with Coachspeak.

Now this was a scoop...

Taylor-Hart-closing-in-on-Nick-Foles-sac
FISHDUCK.COM

(Please note that this white paper was written and distributed onto a number of Oregon forums in June of 2010, but this article of the White Paper was not...

Yes, he did have a boundary of what he was going to say, and he stuck to it. 

What struck me is he was amped up and out of breath coming in from the scrimmage. Lanning works up a sweat coaching.

They could have asked better questions as to how the DL and LB's are doing in general with implementing his scheme. A question like that is probably going to get him to say more than pushing the individual players................  and is more important at this point

On 8/13/2022 at 6:40 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

AMEN!  

Yes Sir. Mario ball is the opposite of traditional Ducks style

We should score 40 plus a game

Edited by DazeNconfused

In the 2010 season, it was neck and neck who would be the starting QB: Nate Costa or Darrin Thomas. 

After watching practice, I was convinced they'd pick Costa given his slight lead with experience. 

Nope 

And 12-0 was the result

Its gonna work out 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:59 PM, DazeNconfused said:

AMEN!  

Interestingly, Kirby Smart  said pretty much the same thing today after Georgia's first scrimmage today. Kirby is a defensive-minded HC and says , every year, that the offensive is ahead of the defense after scrimmage 1, even last year with that incredibly dominant defense the Dawgs  had.

Lanning  is a defensive-minded coach. Who was his mentor for the past three years? Ergo, Lanning's assessment of  relative balance after scrimmage 1 was very predictable.

Also, I am not saying that a decision on the QB starter for game1 has  been made, but there are numerous advantages to public comments suggesting  that nothing is set in stone at this point.  If you pull out  paper and pencil and start listing  them, I'd bet that you can probably think of 3-4 such advantages with few, if any, problems.

Now how many of you still use pencils and paper these days, lol?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It would be funny if JB started.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lanning was never going to come out and say one QB is the leader.   Competition is everything.

He didn't even name a top RB, no way he is going to touch the QB situation after one scrimmage. It does sound like at least one of the pics was a decent mistake, late down pass. That is also on the WR's to compete and take the ball from the DB's. 

That competition is also of interest. What receiver is catching anything thrown his way, or does it have to be thrown perfect, and there needs to be separation for a pass to be caught. We are going to need at least one guy who you can count on to catch the tough passes. 

For some reason I am almost most excited to see how this defense fairs against Georgia and others. We have a DC as our head coach, and our team will be lead by how the defense is able to neutralize other teams.

The offense will get their points, but it will be off the turnovers created by the defense, and field position also created by the defense. 

I am not counting on our offense to be the CK 3 downs, 70 yds, and 7 points. I have a feeling it will be a score based on a panting defense being on their heals, after a three and out. We are going to have an offense again, thankfully, but it will be led by the defense.

On 8/13/2022 at 6:48 PM, Charles Fischer said:

did he really tell us anything

You read my mind, @Charles Fischer.

While Mari was far from perfect, he gave great interviews. I always learned something from him.

And at least Chip was funny. 

The only thing I’ve learned yet from DL’s interviews is that he uses “compete” as a noun. 

(As a U of O English major, I am allowed to be appalled.)

All that said, I appreciate that DL plays things close to the vest, and I still think he gives us a great chance to win. 

Well, there it was.  

Thank you, Charles, for posting the quintessential OBD article!

What other fan base forum has any member willing to take the time to give its members such a detailed preview of what’s happening on the field and what to expect in upcoming games.  

Good day to be a Duck!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/14/2022 at 7:32 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

While Mari was far from perfect, he gave great interviews. I always learned something from him.

Very true.  Although he did emphasize being tough a lot.... 

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

He doesn't want the non-starting QB's to transfer so he is saying the right things.  Bo is starting period.  Bo knows SEC defenses, coach is from SEC.  Perhaps if we were not opening against Georgia, in Georgia, it may be different.  I would bet my wife's house that Bo is starting September 3.  

On 8/14/2022 at 7:32 AM, Dr Hilarius said:

You read my mind, @Charles Fischer.

And at least Chip was funny. 

The only thing I’ve learned yet from DL’s interviews is that he uses “compete” as a noun. 

(As a U of O English major, I am allowed to be appalled.)

All that said, I appreciate that DL plays things close to the vest, and I still think he gives us a great chance to win. 

"The only thing I’ve learned yet from DL’s interviews is that he uses “compete” as a noun."   Now that's funny! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/13/2022 at 6:57 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Yes, he did have a boundary of what he was going to say, and he stuck to it. 

What struck me is he was amped up and out of breath coming in from the scrimmage. Lanning works up a sweat coaching.

They could have asked better questions as to how the DL and LB's are doing in general with implementing his scheme. A question like that is probably going to get him to say more than pushing the individual players................  and is more important at this point

My questions about the D-line will be answered at Georgia and at home against BYU.   

On 8/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, Pac10again said:

I would bet my wife's house that Bo is starting September 3.  

I would bet my ex-wife's house. The one I paid for.

• Haha 3

On 8/14/2022 at 7:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Very true.  Although he did emphasize being tough a lot.... 

Better than emphasizing prowess.

• Applause 1

There is a difference:

• no separation because all 3 are bad...
  • no separation because all 3 are great...
  • no separation because all 3 are so-so.

I'll take the middle option. It is what DL was implying.

It would be great to have three great options every week.

tOSU's third string QB beat us in the playoffs in only his THIRD start to win the National Championship in 2014. His first start is when he won the B1G championship game. His second start was a win against Alabama in the first round of the playoffs.

I hope our third string QB is that good at the end of the year.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/14/2022 at 11:52 AM, Pac10again said:

He doesn't want the non-starting QB's to transfer so he is saying the right things.  Bo is starting period.  Bo knows SEC defenses, coach is from SEC.  Perhaps if we were not opening against Georgia, in Georgia, it may be different.  I would bet my wife's house that Bo is starting September 3.  

I'm not buying into the SEC defense view and here is why.

There were 5 SEC teams and 3 Pac-12 teams in the top 30 in the NCAA for total defense.

There were 7 SEC teams and 4 Pac-12 teams in the top 50.

Bo Nix had the lowest passer rating and third lowest completion percentage of the top 12 SEC QBs. Nix was rated a 3-star in the 247 transfer portal rankings, it's not just me who thinks he isn't that good of a QB. We can make excuses about the Auburn OL, WR but the fact is, Bo was one of the worst QBs in the SEC based on his production. 

I think the mantra that Bo faced SEC defenses overlooks half the SEC defense aren't elite and the fact the Pac 12 had some good defenses that he will have to face here.

While I won't bet that Bo won't get the start in the opener, I'm far from convinced that he is much better than Ty and Butters. Bo had a better spring game, but the first play that went 70 yards to Seven was a wide-open easy throw. His TD to Thornton was against Jamal Hill who isn't a lock down guy and the tackle was missed on the sideline that let him score. 

The Spring Game was a small sample size to judge that Bo has this job locked up, and Ty and Butters have had three more months to learn the system Bo already knew.

My gut is that Bo will start but that the other QBs are going to be right on his heels and if Bo don't play well, he will get the hook. 

I just don't feel Bo is going to establish himself as the best QB by a large margin because I don't think he is that good that he can bury Ty and Butters.

• Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

If Bo doesn't establish himself as a good QB then the Ducks are in a whole lot of trouble. TT and JB are way too mechanical, I dont care how good they are rated  they are NOT naturals for College football on a high level. If this is the case than I see the Ducks at 6 and 4 at best, maybe worse.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Great post! 1

If he gives us an answer to those most burning questions, it will be no sooner than 2 weeks from now. 

On 8/14/2022 at 9:59 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Although he did emphasize being tough a lot....

Nothing wrong with being tough! 

cf6a5ce0-5ef3-4e13-a718-91824a48cde2_tex

• Haha 2

I cant see him announcing till game day, Why give Georgia more time to prepare for one qb.  It would be somewhat of a advantage is georgia prepped all week for nix,  and jb or tt  started.

On 8/14/2022 at 4:30 PM, DazeNconfused said:

I'm not buying into the SEC defense view and here is why.

There were 5 SEC teams and 3 Pac-12 teams in the top 30 in the NCAA for total defense.

There were 7 SEC teams and 4 Pac-12 teams in the top 50.

Bo Nix had the lowest passer rating and third lowest completion percentage of the top 12 SEC QBs. Nix was rated a 3-star in the 247 transfer portal rankings, it's not just me who thinks he isn't that good of a QB. We can make excuses about the Auburn OL, WR but the fact is, Bo was one of the worst QBs in the SEC based on his production. 

I think the mantra that Bo faced SEC defenses overlooks half the SEC defense aren't elite and the fact the Pac 12 had some good defenses that he will have to face here.

While I won't bet that Bo won't get the start in the opener, I'm far from convinced that he is much better than Ty and Butters. Bo had a better spring game, but the first play that went 70 yards to Seven was a wide-open easy throw. His TD to Thornton was against Jamal Hill who isn't a lock down guy and the tackle was missed on the sideline that let him score. 

The Spring Game was a small sample size to judge that Bo has this job locked up, and Ty and Butters have had three more months to learn the system Bo already knew.

My gut is that Bo will start but that the other QBs are going to be right on his heels and if Bo don't play well, he will get the hook. 

I just don't feel Bo is going to establish himself as the best QB by a large margin because I don't think he is that good that he can bury Ty and Butters.

Comparing stats with SEC verses Pac 10 is comparing apples to oranges.  There is NO comparison.  Sorry but everyone outside of Pac 10 fans understand that the SEC fields soon to be starting NFL defensive backs and safeties.  The Pac gets 1 or 2 on a good year.  Go take a look at the draft boards the past decade.  Plus, those QB's you're putting ahead of Bo, in the SEC, also had elite offensive lines, and running games, and those QB's were not running for their lives every play.   Perhaps that makes for better stats.  Just saying.  Now put Bo against the Pac 12's Swiss cheese defenses in his career and his numbers would be MUCH improved.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/15/2022 at 5:45 AM, Pac10again said:

Comparing stats with SEC verses Pac 10 is comparing apples to oranges.  There is NO comparison.  Sorry but everyone outside of Pac 10 fans understand that the SEC fields soon to be starting NFL defensive backs and safeties.  The Pac gets 1 or 2 on a good year.  Go take a look at the draft boards the past decade.  Plus, those QB's you're putting ahead of Bo, in the SEC, also had elite offensive lines, and running games, and those QB's were not running for their lives every play.   Perhaps that makes for better stats.  Just saying.  Now put Bo against the Pac 12's Swiss cheese defenses in his career and his numbers would be MUCH improved.

I respectfully disagree.. With all due respect, may I ask if you have a bias against the Pac? Or is it a SEC preference? Bo had the worst SEC passer rating and all 12 of the SEC teams do not have elite offensive lines, they can't all be elite. 

Here is some Pac-12 DB's for you, I think you may be surprised at the Pac dudes in the NFL on this list.

Talyor Rapp, Byron Murphy, Budda Baker, Kevin King, Desmond Trufant, Sidney Jones, Marcus Peters, JoJo McIntosh, Ezekiel Turner, Jordan Miller.

Those are Huskies from the last decade or so and all, but one was a 1st or 2nd rounder if I remember correct.?

Charles has heard me say that Jimmy Lake was the best DB coach in FBS, and I stand behind that. 

In 2022 UW had Trent McDuffie taken in the 1st round, Kyler Gordon in 2nd round.... Is Molden back this year? 

USC had Taloano Hufanga go 2nd round in 2021.

Ducks just had Jevon Holland go 2nd round, Lenior went in the 5th, Graham and Breeze in the 6th. all in 2021 off the same Ducks team that held Bo Nix 13-31 passing.

Elijah Hicks the CAL DB got drafted last year. 

Edited by DazeNconfused

5 Ga D players went in the 1st round last year. 2 from Bama in the first and 1 in the 2nd. I cant even count all the LSU defensive players currently playing in the NFL.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:23 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

5 Ga D players went in the 1st round last year. 2 from Bama in the first and 1 in the 2nd. I cant even count all the LSU defensive players currently playing in the NFL.

Yes, and how often do five dudes go in a year? I'm not denying there are Dudes in the SEC, but I'm going to keep it real. 

How many 1st round picks from the SEC last year that weren't from Bama, LSU, or UGA? They are first tier teams.

Then you have Texas A&M, Florida, and the Ducks talent roster compares to them.

Kentucky, Tenn, Arky, Old Miss, Miss St, South Carolina, Vandy, Missouri- those teams are miles off Bama, LSU. UGA and they aren't pumping out multiple 1st rounders each year. None of those teams could win the Pac-12. 

The Top Tier SEC teams are good, but the bottom half put their pants on one leg at a time. I refuse to have an inflated view of the entire SEC based on off the Elite teams at the top. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ill just say this, the top 5 SEC teams have much more depth on defense than the top 5 PAC teams.

On 8/13/2022 at 5:28 PM, DazeNconfused said:

This, to me, is concerning. Yes, having three QB's that you think can play effectively should be a good thing - but this is the age of instant transfers to other programs.  How long does Lanning think he can keep Thompson & Butterfield in the stable, so-to-speak, if Nix gets all the starts?  Ty and Jay sat patient for one year with Brown getting the nod.  Will they continue to for another season?

On 8/15/2022 at 7:44 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Ill just say this, the top 5 SEC teams have much more depth on defense than the top 5 PAC teams.

I agree but put the current Ducks defense in with them as we have around a top 3 SEC defense talent wise this year.

Utah is always solid on D with less talent.

All we know is Bo thought he could do better in the Pac-? with Dilly and Lanning providing guidance. Dilly and Lanning also thought he was worth a shot at helping us at qb. 

We don't know how any of it is working out, other than what we saw in the spring game. In the spring game nobody ran away with the competition. 

I will add we don't play PSU at Beaver Stadium, nor Texas A&M at Kyle Stadium, or LSU in Tiger Stadium, and undoubtedly playing against Alabama every year is more than we see in our schedule. They also played Georgia and a few other tough teams last year. The competition will be different, but can Nix rise up and lead the team, we will see.

I do think Nix not being named starter does say something positive about the guys behind him, or dually him for the starting job.

Do you believe the Pac 12 has the same quality of defenses as the SEC?   I do not.   Not even close.  Therefore, my point was you cannot use pac-12 QB's stats in comparison.  Bo beat Bama. Who again has any of are other QB's beaten?   I prefer to let the play on the field speak for itself.  Bo is on the best defensive team in the Pac, so he should have a field day, against everyone but UTAH.  

Your view seems to consider the PAC 12 as equals defensively speaking.  I'm in complete disagreement.  And my opinion is based on what happens on the field and nothing else.  And Georgia lost most their starting Defense to the PRO's, and they will still be the best D we face all year.  Thats all I'm saying. 

On 8/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, Pac10again said:

Do you believe the Pac 12 has the same quality of defenses as the SEC?   I do not.   Not even close.  Therefore, my point was you cannot use pac-12 QB's stats in comparison.  Bo beat Bama. Who again has any of are other QB's beaten?   I prefer to let the play on the field speak for itself.  Bo is on the best defensive team in the Pac, so he should have a field day, against everyone but UTAH.  

Your view seems to consider the PAC 12 as equals defensively speaking.  I'm in complete disagreement.  And my opinion is based on what happens on the field and nothing else.  And Georgia lost most their starting Defense to the PRO's, and they will still be the best D we face all year.  Thats all I'm saying. 

The bottom of the SEC is pretty bad, and there's no denying that. I hope Nix does well, but one could argue that Auburn would have fared better than 6-7 and 6-5 these past two seasons if he was on the bench. Oregon should have put Auburn away when they had the chance the other year. Nix & Co. weren't exactly world beaters, they weren't as good as the Ducks (despite pulling out a win), but heh- they were a lot better than a bunch of other SEC teams in those years.

Lanning came to Oregon with just two scholarship QBs, neither of which had played, and he had little input regarding thei abilities.  Once he got an OC and knowing the opening games, they got a veteran Nix, likely the best they could find, as a security measure.  Lanning is here to win, and I trust him to make the best decision in that regard, whether it's one, two, or however many games, based on who gives us the best chance to win.

I don't see Lanning doing a Mario, sticking to a veteran AB, if the veteran Nix isn't getting the job done, but again, will go with who he thinks helps Oregon win.  As it's only Lanning's first season, he just hasn't had time to get who he wants, and coach them to what he wants from them.

On 8/15/2022 at 7:15 PM, 47sgs said:

Lanning came to Oregon with just two scholarship QBs, neither of which had played, and he had little input regarding thei abilities.  Once he got an OC and knowing the opening games, they got a veteran Nix, likely the best they could find, as a security measure.  Lanning is here to win, and I trust him to make the best decision in that regard, whether it's one, two, or however many games, based on who gives us the best chance to win.

I don't see Lanning doing a Mario, sticking to a veteran AB, if the veteran Nix isn't getting the job done, but again, will go with who he thinks helps Oregon win.  As it's only Lanning's first season, he just hasn't had time to get who he wants, and coach them to what he wants from them.

Solid Post.

I've said in articles on here that Butters looked my QB2 from the spring game.

My gut is that Ty is going to blow up and take the job, if not in camp early in the year. 

Mario's staff had Ty as QB2 this year and Lanning's staff has done the same.

That tells me both staffs see the ceiling of Ty is special. Ty was a Rivals five-star and #10 player in the nation!

That's like a sure thing!!!

QBs make the biggest jump from year one into year two and I think before the year is done the job will be Ty's and they will see how far he goes before Moore shows up.

If Ty blows up this year, he will play next year and be gone. That gives Moore one redshirt year. 

If you're going to bet on hitting on a QB, then you play #10 in the nation Ty and then Moore!!

Just my opinion but Ty looks scared to death on the field. JB looks too mechanical/rehearsed to run a major college football team. My prediction is they both will be gone in the next year. If Bo is as bad as his stats we aren't going to have a good year. But hey!! we gave it a shot.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Just my opinion but Ty looks scared to death on the field. JB looks too mechanical/rehearsed to run a major college football team. My prediction is they both will be gone in the next year. If Bo is as bad as his stats we aren't going to have a good year. But hey!! we gave it a shot.

Fair enough. But in my article Ty was quoted about having a learning curve, maybe he will improve and blow up. 

That mechanical Butters just might run the offense the most calmly and get to the right decision more, I wouldn't sleep on him. 

We are going to have to watch it play out through this week into this weekend's scrimmage. 

I believe Lanning when he says no QB has separated himself. I don't think Lanning would lie to the media first year of his first job, or let his players hear he was feeding the media BS about the QBs. 

Hold on, it's going to shake out here.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:26 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

Again his stats were against the best defenses in the country not the Pac-10's.   With a horrible offensive line, average run game, and continual coaching changes.  Yet he beat Bama.  He will shred the Pac-10.  I am not an SEC homer...but I try to base opinions on facts.  In the past 3 years the best defensive players are saturating the SEC and Big 10, they have more 4 - and 5-star players on their bench then almost any Pac-10 team has on their entire team.  STATS do not mean squat in regard to BO.   I am convinced that our season (in conference play) comes down to our defensive line.  If we can stop the run, I believe we will be facing Utah with just 1 loss and a possibility of a playoff berth.  

I hate the SEC but I give credit where its due.  Bo played weekly against the best of the best.  He is the least of my concerns this season.  He has the line and receivers to light it up.  You will be hearing "Bo for Heisman before this season is over"   

Edited by Pac10again
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/16/2022 at 6:57 AM, Pac10again said:

In the past 3 years the best defensive players are saturating the SEC and Big 10, they have more 4 - and 5-star players on their bench then almost any Pac-10 team has on their entire team. 

I disagree with you, and I think your putting out something that just isn't true, and I'll show you why. 

I will give the link to the roster talent calculator on 247. I've long watched recruiting and I watch this tracker. 

The Top 16 best rosters are a blend of the top SEC. B1G, ACC, Pac-12, and Big-12 teams. 

Bama, UGA, TheOSU, Chokelahoma, LSU, Clemson, Ducks, Texas, USC, Gators, Aggies, Maimi, Penn St, N Dame, War Eagle - you get the picture.

Bama, UGA, TheOSU are the top three and have 74 to 65 blue-chips, then it's a gap back to the next. 

Clemson at #4 have 50 blue-chips and #16 Penn St have 44, so there is a big pack with close to the same amount of blue-chips in that pack. 

Then the blue-chip numbers fall as #17 UW have 36 and #19 Tenn have 29. Tenn has 15 less blue-chips than #16 Penn St!!

#22 So. Carolina has 23 blue-chips on the roster - #24 and #25 UCLA and Stanford have 21 blue-chips, and #26 ASU has 22 - they are all right there with So Carolina

The SEC teams #27 Ole Miss, #28 Arky, #30 Miss. St, #31 Kentucky have 20, 21, 17 and 21 clue chips.

The fact is you can throw a blanket over the blue-chip talent of five SEC teams Game Cocks, Arky, UK, Ole Miss, Miss St and three Pac-12 teams ASU, UCLA and Tree. So how are they going to have more sitting on the bench than "almost any Pac-12 team has on their entire team"?

The 5th best SEC roster Texas A&M has 49 blue-chips to the Ducks 49 and USC with 48. 

The 4 best SEC teams, Clemson and Chokelahoma all have a gap over Texas A&M the Ducks and USC. The SEC has 5 of the top 10 rosters in FBS. 

The SEC Top teams are loaded and then the mid pack SEC teams have less than half as many blue-chips and they are right there with the second tier Pac-12 teams. 

The Pac-12 has two teams in the Top 10 to the B1G's one team and if you look the second tier Pac and B1G teams are on the same ballpark. 

I think it's important we really look at and stick to the facts so other readers aren't mis-informed. The fact is the Top 16 rosters are spread around the best teams in the Power Five.

If you take Utah at #32 on up, and consider David Marsh's article today, you can see the teams that could be the Semi-Pro's someday? There are haves and have nots in college football and the link shows it clearly. 

102760.png
247SPORTS.COM

In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/16/2022 at 9:11 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I disagree with you, and I think your putting out something that just isn't true, and I'll show you why. 

I will give the link to the roster talent calculator on 247. I've long watched recruiting and I watch this tracker. 

The Top 16 best rosters are a blend of the top SEC. B1G, ACC, Pac-12, and Big-12 teams. 

Bama, UGA, TheOSU, Chokelahoma, LSU, Clemson, Ducks, Texas, USC, Gators, Aggies, Maimi, Penn St, N Dame, War Eagle - you get the picture.

Bama, UGA, TheOSU are the top three and have 74 to 65 blue-chips, then it's a gap back to the next. 

Clemson at #4 have 50 blue-chips and #16 Penn St have 44, so there is a big pack with close to the same amount of blue-chips in that pack. 

Then the blue-chip numbers fall as #17 UW have 36 and #19 Tenn have 29. Tenn has 15 less blue-chips than #16 Penn St!!

#22 So. Carolina has 23 blue-chips on the roster - #24 and #25 UCLA and Stanford have 21 blue-chips, and #26 ASU has 22 - they are all right there with So Carolina

The SEC teams #27 Ole Miss, #28 Arky, #30 Miss. St, #31 Kentucky have 20, 21, 17 and 21 clue chips.

The fact is you can throw a blanket over the blue-chip talent of five SEC teams Game Cocks, Arky, UK, Ole Miss, Miss St and three Pac-12 teams ASU, UCLA and Tree. So how are they going to have more sitting on the bench than "almost any Pac-12 team has on their entire team"?

The 5th best SEC roster Texas A&M has 49 blue-chips to the Ducks 49 and USC with 48. 

The 4 best SEC teams, Clemson and Chokelahoma all have a gap over Texas A&M the Ducks and USC. The SEC has 5 of the top 10 rosters in FBS. 

The SEC Top teams are loaded and then the mid pack SEC teams have less than half as many blue-chips and they are right there with the second tier Pac-12 teams. 

The Pac-12 has two teams in the Top 10 to the B1G's one team and if you look the second tier Pac and B1G teams are on the same ballpark. 

I think it's important we really look at and stick to the facts so other readers aren't mis-informed. The fact is the Top 16 rosters are spread around the best teams in the Power Five.

If you take Utah at #32 on up, and consider David Marsh's article today, you can see the teams that could be the Semi-Pro's someday? There are haves and have nots in college football and the link shows it clearly. 

102760.png
247SPORTS.COM

In order to create the most comprehensive Team Recruiting Ranking without any notion of bias, 247Sports Team Recruiting Ranking is solely based on the 247Sports Composite Rating.

You disagreed while proving my point.    "Bama, UGA, Then OSU are the top three and have 74 to 65 blue-chips, then it's a gap back to the next".   "The SEC has 5 of the top 10 rosters in FBS".   

You can throw USC in to the big ten now as well.  After that you listed even more big ten and sec teams.  I call having 50 percent of the top 10 rosters in the entire country as being saturated. 

And you also know there is a huge difference in 4-star recruits.  Georgia, LSU, Bama, Clemson Ohio State, Texas A&M, USC, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi state, ole miss, Penn State, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, and there's even more!!!   those are all in top 30 classes.

So you have proven my point.  Over half the top 30 teams in the nation talent wise all come from two conferences.  The SEC and The BIG.  And it's going to get even worse with expansion bank it.  And I guarantee you those top SEC teams have players, not good enough to start, that would start for Oregon.   Give that some thought.

Edited by Smith72
Spacing

On 8/16/2022 at 10:00 AM, Pac10again said:

You disagreed while proving my point.    "Bama, UGA, Then OSU are the top three and have 74 to 65 blue-chips, then it's a gap back to the next".   "The SEC has 5 of the top 10 rosters in FBS".   

You can throw USC in to the big ten now as well.  After that you listed even more big ten and sec teams.  I call having 50 percent of the top 10 rosters in the entire country as being saturated. 

And you also know there is a huge difference in 4-star recruits.  Georgia, LSU, Bama, Clemson Ohio State, Texas A&M, USC, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Mississippi state, ole miss, Penn State, Tennessee, Kentucky, South Carolina, and there's even more!!!   those are all in top 30 classes.

So you have proven my point.  Over half the top 30 teams in the nation talent wise all come from two conferences.  The SEC and The BIG.  And it's going to get even worse with expansion bank it.  And I guarantee you those top SEC teams have players, not good enough to start, that would start for Oregon.   Give that some thought.

No, I disagreed with your claim.. " they have more 4 - and 5-star players on their bench then almost any Pac-10 team has on their entire team"

I showed half the SEC and B1G teams don't have more blue-chips sitting on the bench than almost anyone in the Pac. I've never claimed the SEC doesn't have talent, but the back half isn't elite as I've said. The SEC is top heavy.

The Pac has Ducks #8, USC #9, UW #17, UCLA #24, Tree #24, ASU #25 in the Top 30- six teams 

The BIG has OSU #3, Mich #16, Penn St #16, Whisky #21, Huskers #23 in the Top 30- five teams 

Over half the top 30 teams in the nation talent wise all come from two conferences. The SEC and pac-12.

I'm going to leave with Ducks backup Jayson Jones is going to start for Aubrun this fall and Robby Ashford our #4 QB last year might start as well. DJ James our starting comer last year will start at Auburn in the SEC.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Mic drop 1

However all this goes I would be willing to bet that Bo Nix will start against Georgia.