NJDuck

Six Schools That the Pac-12 Should Consider Adding

I do agree that the Pac-12 should expand, but somewhat disagree who should be the six schools.  Here are my choices:

* SDSU - #27 TV market value in the San Diego area, but will give us the foot print to pull Southern California.

* FSU in the #55 in their TV market value.  But, can you stretch their viewership to include the Sacramento and as far South as Bakersfield?  That is approximately 2.3 million people.

* Houston - Houston is #8 in TV market value..

* SMU - Dallas/Ft Worth is #5 in TV market value.  The author does list some compelling arguments to include.  

* BYU - BYU is a good brand with a large following.  Ranked 21st nationally in academics amongst all universities.  Great rival with Utah.  They both would draw the Salt Lake City (#30 TV market value).

* UNLV - In this article he failed to mention UNLV is a tier 1 research university.  Ranked #40 TV market value, but Las Vegas area is growing.  This city is turning into quite a sports mecca. 

I would have included other Big 12 schools instead.   Instead of SMU I would take TCU.  Instead of FSU I would take either Baylor or TT.  Instead of UNLV I would take OSU, but their exit fee could be too much.  Around 80 mil per school?  Houston and BYU might not be have signed the dotted line yet with the Big 12.

It would give us the Pacific, Mountain, Central time zones.  Again, hopefully some media deal would include cross-over games with the ACC.

This could make the Pac-12 a strong football and basketball conference.  I know we lost millions due to USC and UCLA leaving, but by expanding the conference will have the ability for future growth in value and possibly regain back millions.

usatsi_17283477.jpg
WWW.SI.COM

The Pac-12 needs a contingency plan for the days after USC and UCLA and expansion may be the way to go

Edited by NJDuck
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

If we are staying at 12 schools I would take SDSU and UNLV. Keeping the SoCal footprint is vital moving forward and SDSU has the feel of a Pac 12 school.

Adding UNLV feels like getting in on the ground floor of an emerging market. TV and location wise, its great for getting the brand to the viewers. It helps that it is the current home of the Pac 12 Championship Game. And an influx of Power 5 money would help recruitment/retention immensely (so would firing their football coach)! After all, this is the place where advertising and flashy marketing was essentially invented. 

I love the idea of BYU joining. 

If we went to 14 teams or more I would want to see Boise State in there somewhere unless they genuinely don't want to move up. It would add the state of Idaho and I could see SDSU and Boise State getting a pretty substantial rivalry going.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

I’ve said it before, but you have to lock Vegas up. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

And San Diego State.  These two are a must.

• Thumbs Up 4

I agree; Vegas and SDSU have to be brought into the fold.  One other thing I'm adamant about is streaming.  We HAVE TO get a contract with Amazon/Youtube/Apple/Hulu etc.

Years ago (approx 2002ish) I was approached by someone advertising door to door some about the future being us doing all of our shopping on-line. I scoffed and said that toiletries, paper towels and other disposable stuff possibly...but not clothes or anything that was expensive or needed to be tried on first. That just seemed silly, it had to be some kind of pyramid scheme, right?...what stuck with me was that company he was trying to get investments in was weirdly named after some huge river. You do the math...

Approximately 2013 I remember having $2500 from our (since neutered) Employee Stock Purchase Program in hand and some weird currency called "BitCoin" being $425 each. I had just paid off my student loans and was thinking, "I can afford to take a risk on this crypto thing, right?"  Ultimately I passed bc it seemed if I was just going to throw money away, a set of golf clubs and a some Jeep parts would provide me more satisfaction...

Point being, streaming is the future and based on my risk aversion misses of the past, I think we need to hop on this boat ASAP! Given the moves made by the B1G and SEC, we need to expand, blaze a new deal and set the streaming market if at all possible...otherwise, well, it may be time to take a Jeep off-roading to the golf course.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 8/17/2022 at 8:00 AM, Wrathis said:

One other thing I'm adamant about is streaming. 

I am in complete agreement; it took me a while to get used to watching TV from a internet stream versus the usual cable, but it looks just as good.  And this will allow the millions of Oregon fans to watch the games from anywhere in the world without the nonsense of being with Direct TV, or your cable provider, etc.  This is the future...

• Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/17/2022 at 8:26 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I am in complete agreement; it took me a while to get used to watching TV from a internet stream versus the usual cable, but it looks just as good.  And this will allow the millions of Oregon fans to watch the games from anywhere in the world without the nonsense of being with Direct TV, or your cable provider, etc.  This is the future...

I cut Xfinity and now stream all my content through Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. Best decision ever.

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

We are thinking of cutting the cord. What is the best streaming service for watching Duck football and basketball games? Currently am on Verizon cable with their sports package and can see every other conference but PAC-12.

Since we're stuck with the P12 network for at least a couple more years, the only two steaming services that have it as an option are SlingTV and FuboTV.

I have Sling because it's cheaper at $35 plus the $15 for the sports package for the P12 network 

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

We are thinking of cutting the cord. What is the best streaming service for watching Duck football and basketball games? Currently am on Verizon cable with their sports package and can see every other conference but PAC-12.

Fubo.tv seems to have great sports options, including PAC-12. I cut cable 3 years back and no regrets.

On 8/17/2022 at 11:47 AM, kirklandduck said:

cut Xfinity and now stream all my content through Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. Best decision ever.

I've done the same.  I only stream now.  I have no issue now watching my games.  I use Fubo.tv instead of Sling, but either one is good.  You do get great sports options.  With Fubo.tv it includes 1,000 hours recording time.  Glad I have it, especially living on the East Coast.  Those late night Pac-12 after dark games, let's just say It's nice to be able to record and get a good night's rest as well.  On Fubo.tv, if you forget to record ahead of time and you turned on a game already in progress, you can hit record and it will record back at the beginning.  You have the whole game or program recorded.

Edited by NJDuck

On 8/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, kirklandduck said:

Since we're stuck with the P12 network for at least a couple more years, the only two steaming services that have it as an option are SlingTV and FuboTV.

I have Sling because it's cheaper at $35 plus the $15 for the sports package for the P12 network 

I cut Xfinity as well. I have a Samsung Smart TV and watch P12 insider channel which is free.

www.pac-12.com/pac-12-insider

Edited by Daniel C

On 8/17/2022 at 8:47 AM, kirklandduck said:

I cut Xfinity and now stream all my content through Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Sling. Best decision ever.

Same here. We cut the cord about 5 years ago and have not missed it and have not looked back.

I also picked up a cheap digital antenna called "Leaf" for about $35. It allows us to pick up local stations in HD for free, and we also pick up a bunch of other stations too. We don't watch the live TV stuff very often, but it's nice to know we have it.

Edited by Desert Duck

On 8/17/2022 at 8:47 AM, kirklandduck said:

Agree.  I cut cable years ago and it is the best thing I ever did.  I took me several months to get everything down, but I have access to more sports and get every single duck football and basketball game.  In general, my bill is 50% less and I have complete control of my content.  Also, if I am going on vacation or don't have anything I want to watch, you pause your subscription, so you are not paying when you don't need access.

As Duck Desert pointed out, an HD antenna is essential.

Streaming package is essential.  Cable TV will be completely gone within the next 10 years. 

And back on topic....go get UNLV and SDSU right now.    

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 8/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

absolutely correct.