Jump to content
DazeNconfused

Bama, Ducks, Georgia Have The Most Starting Linebacker Talent In FBS

Recommended Posts

These three teams look to be the only in FBS to have the OLB and ILB starters all be Top 100 Recruits. While all three teams look to have a pair of five-stars starting in the group, Oregon is the lone team with a pair of five-star starting inside linebackers. 

 

As far as NC State being rated #2, that is based of tackle numbers- the group are mostly three-stars.

Oregon is going to need some big time LB recruits to replace this talent.

 

linebackerunitbreakdown.png
WWW.ON3.COM

Here are the nation’s 12 best linebacker units, as well as the top group in each league and the top three linebacker transfer classes.

 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep remembering how Dan Lanning helped turn some 3-Star players at Georgia into high draft picks...he can do it here! 

 

                  Jeffery Bassa was a stud, and now he's bigger?

Jeffrey Bassa meets Brittain Brown in the hole_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the event Ducks make it to playoffs, here are the future sites.

 

cfp-logo-helmet-01122.jpg
NEWS.SI.COM

The CFP will be returning to familiar venues for its signature event.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a UGA fan I can say with confidence that there is great anticipation among Dawg fans when thinking of the matchup nightmares that our TEs will give opposing defenses this season.  It is warranted as GA does have a ridiculous amount of talent at TE and OC Monken has shown that he will strategically take advantage of this.  Most Dawg fans think this will be a big advantage on Sept. 3.  
 

To be fair, many Dawg fans don’t realize just how talented Oregon’s defense is.  Especially at linebacker.  I’m not as familiar with UO defense as many Duck fans, but I’m certainly of the opinion that the D will be very much better than 2021.  IMO the D will be a major strength for Oregon this season. 
 

My question to Duck fans is- Do you think the GA TEs have great impact on this game?

If Monken does emphasize their use in the passing game, can the Ducks keep them contained?  
 

To be honest, my opinion of this game is similar my opinion of most big games.  The team that performs best on the line of scrimmage (both sides) will have a big advantage.  This likely leads to success in the run game and being able to work in other directions because of this success.  In contrast, if the run game is shut down it drastically reduces options.  
 

My opinion on the TE matchups is that if UGA is somewhat successful in the run game the TEs will likely make a big impact on this game.  This isn’t a slight on Oregon’s LBs or secondary at all, I honestly think any defense would have trouble handling these guys.  
 

Of coarse I might be wrong.  There is the Lanning factor.  Which brings me to my other question.  Do you guys think that Lannings knowledge of UGA makes a big impact on this game?  I think it certainly helps Oregon, how much I’m not sure.  

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 7:53 PM, SoGaDawg said:

As a UGA fan I can say with confidence that there is great anticipation among Dawg fans when thinking of the matchup nightmares that our TEs will give opposing defenses this season.  It is warranted as GA does have a ridiculous amount of talent at TE and OC Monken has shown that he will strategically take advantage of this.  Most Dawg fans think this will be a big advantage on Sept. 3.  
 

To be fair, many Dawg fans don’t realize just how talented Oregon’s defense is.  Especially at linebacker.  I’m not as familiar with UO defense as many Duck fans, but I’m certainly of the opinion that the D will be very much better than 2021.  IMO the D will be a major strength for Oregon this season. 
 

My question to Duck fans is- Do you think the GA TEs have great impact on this game?

If Monken does emphasize their use in the passing game, can the Ducks keep them contained?  
 

To be honest, my opinion of this game is similar my opinion of most big games.  The team that performs best on the line of scrimmage (both sides) will have a big advantage.  This likely leads to success in the run game and being able to work in other directions because of this success.  In contrast, if the run game is shut down it drastically reduces options.  
 

My opinion on the TE matchups is that if UGA is somewhat successful in the run game the TEs will likely make a big impact on this game.  This isn’t a slight on Oregon’s LBs or secondary at all, I honestly think any defense would have trouble handling these guys.  
 

Of coarse I might be wrong.  There is the Lanning factor.  Which brings me to my other question.  Do you guys think that Lannings knowledge of UGA makes a big impact on this game?  I think it certainly helps Oregon, how much I’m not sure.  

 

The TE you might want to learn about on Oregon is DJ Johnson. He had seven tackles, five tackles for a loss, and four sacks in the spring game. Oh yea, he does play TE anymore, but he can probably cover your TE's too. Offenses and defenses have trouble with DJ, but mainly offenses now.

 

I do agree, what Lanning knows about Georgia will be the secret ingredient come game day. I do have a feeling whatever you throw at Lanning he will have an answer. I am not saying we will run away with the game or even win it. I just don't think there will be much overlooked.

 

I think the defenses will have the largest impact on the game. The question is will Georgia's defense be as good, or good enough this year?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2022 at 7:53 PM, SoGaDawg said:

As a UGA fan I can say with confidence that there is great anticipation among Dawg fans when thinking of the matchup nightmares that our TEs will give opposing defenses this season.  It is warranted as GA does have a ridiculous amount of talent at TE and OC Monken has shown that he will strategically take advantage of this.  Most Dawg fans think this will be a big advantage on Sept. 3.  
 

To be fair, many Dawg fans don’t realize just how talented Oregon’s defense is.  Especially at linebacker.  I’m not as familiar with UO defense as many Duck fans, but I’m certainly of the opinion that the D will be very much better than 2021.  IMO the D will be a major strength for Oregon this season. 
 

My question to Duck fans is- Do you think the GA TEs have great impact on this game?

If Monken does emphasize their use in the passing game, can the Ducks keep them contained?  
 

To be honest, my opinion of this game is similar my opinion of most big games.  The team that performs best on the line of scrimmage (both sides) will have a big advantage.  This likely leads to success in the run game and being able to work in other directions because of this success.  In contrast, if the run game is shut down it drastically reduces options.  
 

My opinion on the TE matchups is that if UGA is somewhat successful in the run game the TEs will likely make a big impact on this game.  This isn’t a slight on Oregon’s LBs or secondary at all, I honestly think any defense would have trouble handling these guys.  
 

Of coarse I might be wrong.  There is the Lanning factor.  Which brings me to my other question.  Do you guys think that Lannings knowledge of UGA makes a big impact on this game?  I think it certainly helps Oregon, how much I’m not sure.  

 

Great post! I have a two Ducks vrs UGA articles coming out where I break the TE's down and much more!

 

First of UGA has the best TE room in college football. Bowers is the best TE in FBS and Erik Gilbert might be just as good?

 

Bowers off the top of my head has 50 some odd catches, made a run at 1000 yards with 12 TD's. Gilbert was good his Frosh year at LSU and looked good in the spring game. They are TROUBLE for Lanning.

 

Lanning ran 6'5" Bryan Addison and 6'3" Trikweze Bridges who has a 7' wingspan as the deep safeties in spring ball and they might be the longest pair in FBS!

 

So how does Lanning try to counter the best TE in FBS? You try with the longest pair of big body safeties because we know you have to try to counter the size if the TE's with size they can't physically dominate. 

 

This will be an elite epic matchup. No one can matchup the best TE in FBS like the Ducks, but that best TE room is still Trouble!

 

I expect the Ducks safeties will be uber physical and Lanning will scheme them in man to man with the TE's as much as he can. I could see us on a passing down going Dime package and bringing Bridges or Addison up closer to the line to take the TE.

 

That UGA TE still has 6'7' Darrell Washington at 270lbs who is like an extra O Line dude. So UGA can bring him in to pound the rock and dude still slips out on routes in play action pass... UGA's TE room just isn't fair!

 

I have a bunch of other matchups I could go into but let's save it for my auricles this coming Sunday when I do the Ducks O vrs UGA D. Then Monday I flip it around. 

 

Great post and topic though! Let's meet back up this time next week and discuss my articles the matchups. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2022 at 8:18 PM, Haywarduck said:

The TE you might want to learn about on Oregon is DJ Johnson. He had seven tackles, five tackles for a loss, and four sacks in the spring game. Oh yea, he does play TE anymore, but he can probably cover your TE's too. Offenses and defenses have trouble with DJ, but mainly offenses now.

 

I do agree, what Lanning knows about Georgia will be the secret ingredient come game day. I do have a feeling whatever you throw at Lanning he will have an answer. I am not saying we will run away with the game or even win it. I just don't think there will be much overlooked.

 

I think the defenses will have the largest impact on the game. The question is will Georgia's defense be as good, or good enough this year?

DJ is a freak like some of the UGA TE's, but he would have trouble covering the UGA TE's. Bowers is smaller and cuts well and DJ isn't a pass D guy. Bowers will pass 1000 yards this year I'd guess and 15 TD's.

 

It will be 6'5" Bryan Addison and 6'3" Trikweze Bridges who has a 7' wingspan who ran as the deep safeties in spring ball, and they might be the longest pair in FBS covering the TE's.

 

I think that's a card Lanning has kept to himself but planned since day 1 for this game.

 

 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 11:18 PM, Haywarduck said:

The TE you might want to learn about on Oregon is DJ Johnson. He had seven tackles, five tackles for a loss, and four sacks in the spring game. Oh yea, he does play TE anymore, but he can probably cover your TE's too. Offenses and defenses have trouble with DJ, but mainly offenses now.

 

I do agree, what Lanning knows about Georgia will be the secret ingredient come game day. I do have a feeling whatever you throw at Lanning he will have an answer. I am not saying we will run away with the game or even win it. I just don't think there will be much overlooked.

 

I think the defenses will have the largest impact on the game. The question is will Georgia's defense be as good, or good enough this year?

Yes I’m familiar with DJ.  I was also thinking he might be one to challenge a good TE in coverage being that he is so familiar with the position.  I’ll admit this guy has play maker written all over him.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 11:24 PM, DazeNconfused said:

DJ is a freak like some of the UGA TE's, but he would have trouble covering the UGA TE's. Bowers is smaller and cuts well and DJ isn't a pass D guy. Bowers will pass 1000 yards this year I'd guess and 15 TD's.

 

It will be 6'5" Bryan Addison and 6'3" Trikweze Bridges who has a 7' wingspan who ran as the deep safeties in spring ball, and they might be the longest pair in FBS covering the TE's.

 

I think that's a card Lanning has kept to himself but planned since day 1 for this game.

 

 

Wow. 6.5 and 6.3 playing safety.  Now that is interesting.  
 

I’ve enjoyed reading your articles and look forward to reading your upcoming ones.  I’m very excited about Sept. 3, also nervous.  I’m a fairly knowledgeable football fan and I’m not exactly sure what to expect.  Folks such as yourself writing and analyzing helps with my anticipation, and helps me to see the bigger picture.  Plus I’m just a huge CFB fan and I love reading good articles about teams that I like.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2022 at 9:22 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Wow. 6.5 and 6.3 playing safety.  Now that is interesting.  
 

I’ve enjoyed reading your articles and look forward to reading your upcoming ones.  I’m very excited about Sept. 3, also nervous.  I’m a fairly knowledgeable football fan and I’m not exactly sure what to expect.  Folks such as yourself writing and analyzing helps with my anticipation, so thanks 😃

Doesn't it sound Lanning to have those big safeties? One is a converted WR and Bridges is the long DB 4-star recruit. Lanning is a brilliant defensive mind, on all levels. The Natty scheme was insane.

 

What to expect? Your Dawgs are 17.5 points better to the odds makers.

 

On paper the Ducks have a top 3 SEC defense that's being overlooked, they will keep it a close game late if they protect the ball.

 

But if the Ducks have 14 points off turnovers, then the Dawgs will cover the spread for sure.

Edited by DazeNconfused
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2022 at 12:29 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Doesn't it sound Lanning to have those big safeties? The guy is a brilliant defensive mind, on all levels. The Natty scheme was insane.

 

What to expect? Your Dawgs are 17.5 points better to the odds makers.

 

On paper the Ducks have a top 3 SEC defense that's being overlooked, they will keep it a game late if they protect the ball.

 

But if the Ducks have 14 points off turnovers, then they will cover the spread for sure.

It absolutely sounds like Lanning.  He is the real deal. 

 

Honestly, the spread is off IMO.  It’s no wonder that UGA is definitely a favorite coming off of last season, but this spread is clearly skewed to even out the betting lines. I will be surprised if Oregon doesn’t cover the spread.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 8/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, SoGaDawg said:

It absolutely sounds like Lanning.  He is the real deal. 

 

Honestly, the spread is off IMO.  It’s no wonder that UGA is definitely a favorite coming off of last season, but this spread is clearly skewed to even out the betting lines. I will be surprised if Oregon doesn’t cover the spread.  

It's going to be the game of the week! Bigger than OSU-ND or Utah-Gator... 

 

Dawgs and Ducks will be hardest hitting game of the week, they are both that way.

 

Both have good OL and DL, and dudes all over.

 

This is an SEC game physical and talent wise. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, SoGaDawg said:

It absolutely sounds like Lanning.  He is the real deal. 

 

Honestly, the spread is off IMO.  It’s no wonder that UGA is definitely a favorite coming off of last season, but this spread is clearly skewed to even out the betting lines. I will be surprised if Oregon doesn’t cover the spread.  

Ton of Dudes! 

Nolan Smith, Beals Jr, Carter, Ringo, Bennett, MacIntosh, Bowers, and the RB Milton is future All-American.

 

Sewell, Flowe, Gonzo, Manning, DJ, Popo, Doruls, Bennett, Funa on D.. lotta dudes

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 7:53 PM, SoGaDawg said:

My opinion on the TE matchups is that if UGA is somewhat successful in the run game the TEs will likely make a big impact on this game.  This isn’t a slight on Oregon’s LBs or secondary at all, I honestly think any defense would have trouble handling these guys.  

I would be concerned about the tight end factor based off last season. The place that Oregon frequently was gutted was the underneath throws, usually prime tight end territory. 

 

Those would just eat yardage and in the case of Georgia set up the run in the red zone. 

 

Now I do think Oregon's defense is good enough to give some trouble. But they will need to be better this year and I think with this new staff they will be.

 

I think for Oregon is going to need to play a flawless game and get a little lucky for things to go Oregon's way.

 

The big x-factor here though is no one quite knows what Lanning is going to do and trying to study Oregon's roster for the past few years beyond potential talent isn't entirely useful. The scheme is going to be better on both sides of the ball. 

 

Oregon has a good amount of talent but due to poor coaching and development most of it has not reached its potential. What happens when it does? 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/16/2022 at 12:54 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Ton of Dudes! 

Nolan Smith, Beals Jr, Carter, Ringo, Bennett, MacIntosh, Bowers, and the RB Milton is future All-American.

 

Sewell, Flowe, Gonzo, Manning, DJ, Popo, Doruls, Bennett, Funa on D.. lotta dudes

Absolutely, man I can’t wait!  I’ve got more questions for you, but I’ll wait for your next articles to come out and go from there.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 9:42 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Honestly, the spread is off IMO.  It’s no wonder that UGA is definitely a favorite coming off of last season, but this spread is clearly skewed to even out the betting lines. I will be surprised if Oregon doesn’t cover the spread.  

Vegas doesn't set the spread to be accurate. Vegas sets it to best get people to part with their money. 

 

If I were a gambler I'd take Oregon to cover that spread because I believe Oregon should do it. 

 

On the flip side I have read a few Georgia posts on other sides that would take that bet in a heartbeat for Georgia. 

 

Vegas isn't inherently good at predicting winners. They are good at separating people from their money. 

 

That's how I really feel about this line. A great number to get people to place a bet because it seems like a sure thing on both sides. But only one side will cover so we'll just have to wait and see. Vegas will do just fine is all I know for certain. 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 6:28 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Jeffery Bassa was a stud, and now he's bigger?

Love his speed and coverage skills, can't wait to see how he developed as a player! Hope he get plenty of playing time, next year he may be the main man.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 8:53 PM, SoGaDawg said:

As a UGA fan I can say with confidence that there is great anticipation among Dawg fans when thinking of the matchup nightmares that our TEs will give opposing defenses this season.  It is warranted as GA does have a ridiculous amount of talent at TE and OC Monken has shown that he will strategically take advantage of this.  Most Dawg fans think this will be a big advantage on Sept. 3.  
 

To be fair, many Dawg fans don’t realize just how talented Oregon’s defense is.  Especially at linebacker.  I’m not as familiar with UO defense as many Duck fans, but I’m certainly of the opinion that the D will be very much better than 2021.  IMO the D will be a major strength for Oregon this season. 
 

My question to Duck fans is- Do you think the GA TEs have great impact on this game?

If Monken does emphasize their use in the passing game, can the Ducks keep them contained?  
 

To be honest, my opinion of this game is similar my opinion of most big games.  The team that performs best on the line of scrimmage (both sides) will have a big advantage.  This likely leads to success in the run game and being able to work in other directions because of this success.  In contrast, if the run game is shut down it drastically reduces options.  
 

My opinion on the TE matchups is that if UGA is somewhat successful in the run game the TEs will likely make a big impact on this game.  This isn’t a slight on Oregon’s LBs or secondary at all, I honestly think any defense would have trouble handling these guys.  
 

Of coarse I might be wrong.  There is the Lanning factor.  Which brings me to my other question.  Do you guys think that Lannings knowledge of UGA makes a big impact on this game?  I think it certainly helps Oregon, how much I’m not sure.  

 

I think Washington will play a factor in the game. During his recruitment I was hoping Cristobal could reel him in.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 9:56 PM, David Marsh said:

I would be concerned about the tight end factor based off last season. The place that Oregon frequently was gutted was the underneath throws, usually prime tight end territory. 

 

Those would just eat yardage and in the case of Georgia set up the run in the red zone. 

 

Now I do think Oregon's defense is good enough to give some trouble. But they will need to be better this year and I think with this new staff they will be.

 

I think for Oregon is going to need to play a flawless game and get a little lucky for things to go Oregon's way.

 

The big x-factor here though is no one quite knows what Lanning is going to do and trying to study Oregon's roster for the past few years beyond potential talent isn't entirely useful. The scheme is going to be better on both sides of the ball. 

 

Oregon has a good amount of talent but due to poor coaching and development most of it has not reached its potential. What happens when it does? 

Your 100% right, Utah's TE's hurt us with the run block and pass game. 

 

I think Lanning might have to go Dime package on passing downs to keep our LB's from having to cover Bowers and get the big safeties on him that can run with him and be physical? 

 

Or maybe move Noah to stand up edge on the passing down and bring in Bassa who can run with Bowers? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top