Charles Fischer

Oregon's Unique Weakness for the 2022 Season

Hello All,

I was going to be writing an article about this prior to the Georgia game, but my time is a little limited and my final article before the season will be a "prep" one concerning what to look out for with the Oregon Lanning/Lupoi defense.

In all my years of watching Oregon football--this year's weakness is one I've never written about before, and it is unusual. I am referring to the entire season hinging upon whether the Ducks can get good pass-protection blocking from our offensive tackles.  Salu at right tackle was eaten alive in the Spring Game, and both he and Stephen Jones fit Cristobal's "big" profile, but they do not have the feet to fend off the edge rushers these days.

Salu and Jamarillo had their lunch-money taken often in the Spring Game, and you will see examples of that when I feature Bradyn Swinson, in a short analysis on Thursday. Yet DJ Johnson and others had their way with our offensive tackles as well; it is not always about how good our pass rushers, are, but how bad our pass-protection is from our offensive tackles.

Last year we had TJ Bass at left tackle, and he was superb blocking smaller quicker safety/linebacker types in open field in addition to pass rushers.  He has the feet, but he must be healthy and playing at tackle, and not at guard as they did often in the spring.  If he is the blindside tackle...I rest easy on that side, as we'll be fine.

The right side is a horror show that could get our quarterbacks injured.  I should not just complain about a problem unless I have a suggestion to solve it, and mine is simple; on obvious passing downs...bring in Josh Connerly on the right side, as he does have the fast feet.  He will get schooled from time-to-time, and we will have to take our lumps, but over the longer course of the season--he is our best bet, I believe.

Again...used on obvious passing downs until Connerly has the fine-points of run-blocking; Salu can do adequate when we are doing play-action passes if the release is quick or the QB is rolling away from him.

Dillingham has brought back a more lethal passing attack that will take shots downfield, and have more longer-developing crossing routes.  This means to score a boatload of points and get things teed-up for Lanning's blitzes...we must have the additional time to throw the ball downfield.  With good pass-protection we will score a ton more points than last year, and this feeds into Lanning's wheelhouse of turnover-creating blitzing schemes that we will cover later.

It all depends on the pass-protection; can Oregon solve it?

Ty Thompson with pass rush_Gary Breedlove.jpg

• Applause 4

Mr. FishDuck

The article below was in the FishDuck Feed this morning, and I disagree with the premise of the writer, which prompted my post above.  Can Oregon solve it?

USATSI_17162543_168381178_lowres-1200x62
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN names the one part of Oregon's 2022 team that features the biggest question mark.

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, Charles Fischer said:

The article below was in the FishDuck Feed this morning, and I disagree with the premise of the writer, which prompted my post above.  Can Oregon solve it?

USATSI_17162543_168381178_lowres-1200x62
SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

ESPN names the one part of Oregon's 2022 team that features the biggest question mark.

Agreed.  E(SEC)PN only sees the surface.  We have a LOADED running back room with a ton of talent, and really good coaches...we'll be fine this season running.  I agree Sir Charles, will pass protection improve?

Great post Charles and I share your worries.

We are going to find out what we got game one against UGA. The edge guys Nolan Smith the #1 player in the 2019 class and Robert Beals Jr. a high four-star is the Dawgs leading returner in sacks.

Sala and Jarmillo will have to be better than in the spring game or we will have problems. One solution could be to chip with the TE or RB to help out if we are getting eaten up in the game.

I agree Connerly Jr has excellent feet and could be an option. Bram Walden was a Top 100 guy as a tackle out of HS. The second-year player at 304lbs should also be an option. 

Here is where we miss Top 100 in 2019 tackle Jonah Tauanu'u and the transfer of almost 5-star Kingsley Suamataia not being in the program. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a bit of a head scratcher. On one hand, many places have Oregon a top five national OL, on the other hand, sometimes they just kinda look like they are getting blow up.

Sala is in his 6th season, Bass his 5th, and I think 5th for SJ. At this point they probably are who they are gonna be; but, if none of them can really play OT, what have we been doing for 5 years?

If healthy I do see a pretty strong group. In AF and RW, I think that's two more 6th year guys among the 5 starters. DJ and JPJ I think there are a 6th and 7th that are capable Pac-12 starters. "High floor/low ceiling" comes to mind, but I don't know if that's exactly it either as it's a unit that can look great against Ohio State then turn around and struggle with an Arizona (and that isn't necessarily "high floor").

The last time Oregon had a highly rated OL, it had 3 guys who have gone on to start NFL games early in their careers and a 4th that I believe is still hanging around with the Packers. Other than Bass (who I think has a late round shot) I think the rest are good college players who likely are FA types (who face an uphill climb to ever start an NFL game). I'd be happy to be wrong but I think that is part of what we are seeing. That and Mario favoring giants on the OL.

Maybe Klemm and the rest of the offensive staff have some new approaches, possibly something not on display in the spring.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 8/16/2022 at 12:40 PM, AnotherOD said:

if none of them can really play OT, what have we been doing for 5 years?

As I wrote...I have complete confidence in TJ Bass on the left side, but in reference to the rest of the offensive line--and what have we been doing for five years?

We have been depending

upon "Minnie-Me!"

Alex Mirabal coaching Jacob Capra_KC.jpg

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Who's kid is that?:)

• Haha 2

It will be interesting to see how the strength and conditioning program has worked out the offensive linemen. By the spring game they really hadn't had too much time to get to work with the linemen. Hopefully the new S&C staff are able to get their bodies more in line with what is needed to make the offense go.

The other takeaway to keep in mind too is that the spring game is very difficult to gauge how successful the offensive line was as they were mixed units. Hopefully the offensive line is able to get healthy and with a consistent group of linemen they can get settled into better blocking.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/16/2022 at 11:23 AM, Charles Fischer said:

we must have the additional time to throw the ball downfield

I 100% agree with your analysis on the poor pass protection problem.  To be fair to the O-line MC recruited the O-line to win the push and that usually means you get athletes who are designed to generate power in the root and not on the move (less hand fighting technique).  Long developing pass protection is mostly about better technique and good footwork and the ability to read and scheme the D-line to keep the wall in place.  This is a potential Achilles heel to Oregon's offense this season and Georgia will be the day 1 test of tests.

I would expect Connerly to get some game time for the coaches to get a full speed evaluation on him at some point but maybe not against Georgia unless the O-line is really having trouble.  If he's the best solution to the problem then I'm sure he will get situational play time and extra coaching on the pass protection technique for that package. 

It's my sincere hope that Oregon has been addressing this issue with the new offense by teaching a pass protection technique that will work with a less mobile O-line.  Otherwise Georgia will be growing grass in the QB's facemask all game. 

The other side of the equation will be in playcalling that punishes a collapsing edge or double teaming with tightends (not always the best option as it creates a DB numbers advantage).  I'm certain DL caught this in watching last years film and he's implemented measures to balance it, I just really hope he put solid plaster in this hole or it could be real ugly.  

It's my "hope" that Oregon's offense is like water that flows around the obstacles and finds it's way to the endzone.  Chip had that and it was super hard to stop and scheme against.  Watching Oregon's sledgehammer approach last year against Utah was SUPER FRUSTRATING. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Guessing that the percentage of 7 and 5 step drops will be lower by playing fast and creating mismatches but longer yardage to go situations will expose weakness

If Dr Fischer is correct the Tx is tempo, running the ball, combined with quick routes and the QB using his feet to create space and provide time. 

On 8/16/2022 at 2:43 PM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Guessing that the percentage of 7 and 5 step drops will be lower by playing fast and creating mismatches but longer yardage to go situations will expose weakness

If Dr Fischer is correct the Tx is tempo, running the ball, combined with quick routes and the QB using his feet to create space and provide time. 

Agreed, this is where KD needs to be inside the opposing DC's OODA loop.  This is why I think Oregon is going to have a special season.  There are plenty of teams that underperform the level of their recruited talent but I don't think this staff will be one.

With the staffs open communication atmosphere that Fisch wrote about Oregon's play callers can win the chess match more often than not and put the talent in the position needed to highlight the talent on the field.

On that note it would be great to have one of the writers do a piece on Adrian Klemm.  We know he's a great recruiter but I for one am interested on how he does with player development.  I went back and re-watched this interview from AK in April where he talks about re-tooling the Oregon O-line.  There are some great details here relevant to this conversation.

Edited by Duck Fan 76
  • Thumbs Up 1