Pennsylvania Duck

Alani Noa Commits to USC...Ducks Have No OL Commits in 2023

There’s one glaring weak spot in the 2023 recruiting class — the offensive line. Does this worry you?

RN2_DucksWire.png?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

3-star Oregon OL target Alani Noa announces commitment

USC edging out Ducks for OL recruits.

screen-shot-2022-08-16-at-110320-am.png
NEWS.SCOREBOOKLIVE.COM

When the Oregon Ducks beat out the USC Trojans for class of 2022 five-star offensive tackle Josh Conerly Jr. this spring, many...

Ducks better get busy on the recruiting trail.

On 8/16/2022 at 3:00 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

There’s one glaring weak spot in the 2023 recruiting class — the offensive line. Does this worry you?

RN2_DucksWire.png?w=640
DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

3-star Oregon OL target Alani Noa announces commitment

This definitely worries me!!! 

Lots of time...just watch how well we do, we'll land or flip a 5 star OT and a 5 star Guard by early December

• Let’s hope! 1

On 8/16/2022 at 12:49 PM, cartm25 said:

Of course this is worrisome!

I don't mean to bring up the past, but I recall a lively debate months ago on the OBD about whether or not a stronger USC would be good for the Ducks. I argued vehemently that a stronger USC "might" be good for the conference overall, but a net negative for the Ducks.

It turns out that a few months later, with some spicy conference realignment thrown in the mix, that a stronger USC is on the verge of DESTROYING the Pac-12 Conference all together, hahahaha (not an "I told you so" laugh, but one of those maniacal "I'm so upset I can't do anything other than a crazy laugh" laugh).

No one on the OBD saw the conference realignment coming, but it is now laughable that rather than a stronger USC helping the conference, a stronger USC will cause the figurative and/or literal end to the Pac-12 Conference.   

As I argued back then, I wish that USC retained Clay Helton indefinitely so the Ducks could be the Clemson of the Pac-12, and become the flagship program.

Instead, a stronger USC has left the Ducks treading water (and for those curious, YES, the pun was intended).

O Line...and D Line, are not USuCk's strengths...stronger at the skill positions, but waiting to see how they do with weak lines.  8-4 is my prediction.  A bunch of 3 star linemen will bite in the end, as we continue to get 4's, and even some 5's.

I don't want to be that "stars are everything" guy; and, the Duck staff apparently were on him; but, I see the kid listed #779 nationally in the 247 composite.

Since 2016 (but not counting the new Ducks for 2022), the Ducks have brought in the following OL ranked between 500 and 999 nationally:

Jacob Capra #577

Logan Bathke #613

Cody Shear #951

Christopher Randazzo #822

Justin Johnson #903

Logan Sagapolu #614

Jaylan Jeffers #532

Marcus Harper #730

Faaope Laloula #804

Couple guys who still may become players for sure, but 6 seasons of guys in this OL rating range and arguably not a guy with really any meaningful snaps yet.

Guys in this range tend to be more multiple year developmental guys, with the portal, maybe possibly maybe not quite as necessary as pre-portal.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 3

I think there are 7 Freshmen/Redshirt FR, and 4 sophomore O-Linemen, so at least the cupboard is not bare, and maybe there will be commits or portal transfers this fall. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I doubt there is too much panic, there are still some O-lineman available, and there is always the portal. I would imagine the staff is on it, trust to Lanning!

Also Klemm has a history of picking and developing talent. I will wait to get too worried.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I am calling it now that Jackson Powers-Johnson will be making a move back to the offensive line if not by the end of this season, then definitely by next as an insurance policy. He's like a DJ Johnson; put him on the field and let him hit people.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/16/2022 at 1:16 PM, JDuck said:

we'll land or flip a 5 star OT and a 5 star Guard by early December

I'm in agreement with this.  I believe that we will flip some great people on both sides of the ball--once they see these new Ducks in action.  Players will want to be a part of this...

• Go Ducks! 2

Mr. FishDuck

Oregon took Conerly late, so I'm not too worried.

While not an offensive lineman, I do remember flipping some guy named Justin Flowe on National Signing Day...while I am concerned, I also know big things can happen at the last second and they tend to work in our favor.  It's tough to be patient, but I think we'll be alright come time to put pen to paper...

Agree it’s not panic button time.  Some OL recruits may see more opportunity at USC right now where the cupboard is not as well stocked, but that’s situational, and not necessarily a shift in recruiting prowess. 

As with all our new assistant coaches, it’s the time Klemm spends now with recruits that pays dividends down the road, and that’s crucial for OLs because the portal is such a poor and unreliable source for them.

System-driven position groups that rely upon synchronized timing like OLs gain a playing time advantage the more time they spend together. They lose that when they enter the portal.

Oregon won't really start recruiting until September 3. That's when the talk turns to walk and the world finally sees what the team, coaches and players look like. If the direction of the team appears to be back on track towards national prominence, things will take care of themselves.

• Thumbs Up 1

AK gave an interview here at 7:28 where he addressed this.  Seems that they are looking for O-line recruits with a longer developmental upside.  He commented that some of the O-line players that look great in high school cap out as sophomores. 

He also said that the focus is on quality players and that they aren't going to take 6 just to get 6.  If the recruit quality isn't there they will take less.  I agree that as the season develops the performance of the O-line will change the conversation in recruiting and Oregon can flip their targets likely based on AK's skill at developing talent (and obviously his skill as a recruiter).  

The other opportunity is the portal as O-line players from other schools may want/need to transfer to enhance their draft status.  With Oregon loosing it's starting O-line next year there will be an opportunity for excellent linemen to transfer in and compete for starting positions.  The game has changed and Oregon is always looking to make the best moves for Oregon.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:16 PM, JDuck said:

Lots of time...just watch how well we do, we'll land or flip a 5 star OT and a 5 star Guard by early December

Love the optimism. More realistic is a single 4 star... but, hey... ¡let's Dream BIG!

I gave up panicking years ago.

These are kids.  Many will flip their commitments between now and signing day (including on signing day).  Others will hit the transfer portal early (and maybe often).  Some programs will have coaching turnover, a scandal, a horrible season, etc. and lots of their players will want an easy out.  

I find it likely we'll lose some recruits between now and signing day, gain others, etc.  

It used to be I'd give a huge sigh of relief on signing day (or be frustrated that some guy who looked like a recruit would flip to another school at the last second).  Now with the transfer portal, it's the wild west all year 'round.  Who thought we'd get DAT or Flowe unexpectedly?  Who thought Dye would transfer or we'd lose that WR last year to Arizona?

If I start worrying about any specific recruit or position group, I'm gonna be a mess.  I love the sport, but no team is worth what tiny shred of mental stability I have left.  🤨

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This was just posted on the Fishduck Feed and gives an update on the scholarship OL's we currently have in-house.

• Thumbs Up 3