Babyjesus615

Oregon Makes Top 5 for Overrated Teams in 2022

oregon-ducks-football.jpg
ATHLONSPORTS.COM

On Monday, the Associated Press released its official Top 25 Poll. It's the last to do so of the major publications, meaning we now have a good idea of what

Fox Sports and now Athlon Sports have Oregon as over rated in 2022. Looks like a combination of coaching turnover, uncertainty at QB, as well as a few other positions has given some of these news outlets a second thought about our outlook this season. 

I believe if we are on this list we are definitely last. We have reloaded at the necessary positions for this season; with the exception being QB (unproven product). What remains to be seen is what this coaching staff does now that the keys have been handed to them. Do we swoop down in an F-22? Or do we keep heading down Hwy 99 in the old ranch truck that Mari-0 repurposed the Ferrari into?  

• Go Ducks! 1

Stuff like this just gives the coaching staff and players more incentive to Kick @$$

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surprising people later is part of Oregon's Brand...

Puddles_KC.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This is the usual narrative. They said the same things about Justin Herbert as well. And they are saying it about KT also because of his Oregon connection. 

Anything and everything Oregon is always overrated... Until it isn't. 

I think Oregon is just one of those schools that sits in a middle ground. Easy to get the blue bloods all fired up by hearing that we actually suck while not causing enough of a stir to really anger a fan base. Oregon doesn't have quite enough fans for that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's where the Portal could do us some good. There will be some good 3 and 4 star linemen tired of riding the pines with something to prove.

I don’t think ranking the Ducks in the zone (10-15) where they usually hangout is all that shocking. That’s around where they were last year until the coach mentality then physically checked out on the team.

Ranking a 4-8 dumpster fire (USC), with a new head coach seems way shakier to me.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I get it. They lost and entire coaching staff and their backfields on both sides of the ball. Their rank is based off of their trenches. They have tons of talent but no continuity. I wouldn’t  be surprised if they were 1-2 before conference play and I wouldn’t be surprised if they were 3-0. After the Ohio State game last year anything is possible in the first couple of weeks.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

On 8/16/2022 at 5:33 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Ranking a 4-8 dumpster fire (USC), with a new head coach seems way shakier to me.

USC should simply be the first three letters on every list of "Over Hyped" schools every season until they make it to a conference championship with more than 5 wins! (see 2020 season).

• Thumbs Up 2

Lincoln Riley is to defense as MC is to offense-

• Thumbs Up 3

The local PDX radio geniuses were slamming the Ducks on afternoon drive today.  

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose

Fair to say I think that the target article here is highly worthy of being ignored. The Ducks are a quality team and will win their share of games this Fall. In fact, I am picking them as PAC-12 champs this year. I think their only serious roadblock is Utah ( assuming no colossal screw-ups such as the Stanford nightmare last Fall).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/16/2022 at 10:27 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Fair to say I think that the target article here is highly worthy of being ignored. The Ducks are a quality team and will win their share of games this Fall. In fact, I am picking them as PAC-12 champs this year. I think their only serious roadblock is Utah ( assuming no colossal screw-ups such as the Stanford nightmare last Fall).

Utah is returning the same offense, and much of their defense, that beat us by 80 points at the end of the season.  This is partly why Oregon is considered over ranked by most outside of the Northwest.  

The southeast will soon learn why Oregon turned into a marinoO fire last year. Be fun to watch.

No doubt.

On 8/17/2022 at 6:13 AM, Pac10again said:

Utah is returning the same offense, and much of their defense, that beat us by 80 points at the end of the season.  This is partly why Oregon is considered over ranked by most outside of the Northwest.  

Your point is acknowledged and I may re-think my prediction  after the two Pac-12-SEC games on June 3. An impressive win on the road at Florida in the heat will bolster Utah's standing nationally to be sure.

But...The Ducks now have a coaching staff that will be pretty good at making in-game(and with respect to last year's Utah  debacles) between-game adjustments--certainly better than the few adjustments I could ever detect in the MC administration. Plus, don't the Ducks  get Utah in Autzen this year?

I'd treat the Utah game as a grand opportunity rather than than a  dreaded encounter.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Your point is acknowledged and I may re-think my prediction  after the two Pac-12-SEC games on June 3. An impressive win on the road at Florida in the heat will bolster Utah's standing nationally to be sure.

But...The Ducks now have a coaching staff that will be pretty good at making in-game(and with respect to last year's Utah  debacles) between-game adjustments--certainly better than the few adjustments I could ever detect in the MC administration. Plus, don't the Ducks  get Utah in Autzen this year?

I'd treat the Utah game as a grand opportunity rather than than a  dreaded encounter.

I may be a bit negative I suppose.  But those two losses against Utah, and the one against Oklahoma, are still very fresh in my mind.  I won't give up on the ducks if we lose, or even get pounded, by Georgia.  I care only about our ability to stop the run.   I am convinced if we have the ability to hold Georgia to an average of 4.5 yards per carry, we will be facing USC for Pac-12 title with just 1 loss.  Win that were in play-offs.  Unlike many, I have complete confidence BO and company will explode in conference play.  And that Our D will make up for a dumb play or two from BO.  

Edited by Pac10again

I think being ranked 12 is about fair for the OBD this year.  But if they lose to both GA and BYU, then they will definitely fall out of rankings and deservedly so.    As fun as it is to look at these pre-season rankings, they are really meaningless over the long season...

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't mind being called overrated.

I'm pretty sure from a distance UO probably does look overrated. Luckily we all follow Duck football closer than the national media. We have all the reason in the world to feel confident in this team and our new (and unproven) coaches. Maybe we should pull a Charles and jump on some online gaming site! 

• Yikes! 1

On 8/18/2022 at 4:20 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I think being ranked 12 is about fair for the OBD this year.  But if they lose to both GA and BYU, then they will definitely fall out of rankings and deservedly so.    As fun as it is to look at these pre-season rankings, they are really meaningless over the long season...

I agree, preseason rankings mean absolutely nothing.  It doesn’t matter if you are overrated or underrated in a preseason poll.  The truth is never far away.  

IMO the Ducks are not overrated, but as in most things, time will tell.

• Thumbs Up 1