Charles Fischer

Advertising on FishDuck and Now the FORUM....WHAT?

It is a sad day my FishDuck Friends, as I've always wanted to keep the two sites subscription-free, and ad-free and it has been a cool couple of years without ads.  But I just got hit with some big technology bills from the two sites, and I've got more coming. 

If you are married, then you understand that since I've already spent over 100K on the two sites over the last 11 years--the wife, my life partner, will not allow any more money coming out of the family checking account. The expenses of the two sites must be paid by the sites themselves, and the backlink orders have declined considerably lately....so I have to add the advertising.

On the article site FishDuck, the ads are there right now, and we are installing the advertising on the forum this week after the major migration to a new host and server.  The sites will remain free of charge, but now I will have ads like everyone else.

I apologize, and hope you can accept the change.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 15

Mr. FishDuck

You gotta do what you gotta do. We’re just glad you do!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Works for me. Small price to "pay".

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Thank you for such an incredible sacrifice you have made so far. That's an incredible amount of money for a hobby that benefits others so greatly. Adds are no problem. Having to pay for the site might be. Thank you again FD

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/18/2022 at 3:39 PM, Washington Waddler said:

You gotta do what you gotta do. We’re just glad you do!

Agree!

• Thanks 1

I will try and purchase things as needed from advertisers and sponsors of OBDF. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Gotta pay the bills somehow, I don't mind it!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the modern environment, good online media is either ad-supported or for-pay.  Totally understandable for all of your cost and efforts.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

But wait! The internet is free, right? 😆

As long as the USC or Huskies football programs don't show up, I'm fine with it.

The one constant is.............................................................things change.😉

We're gonna have to talk about these ads...Just now, before I've had my coffee, I was assaulted by an ad with a USC cheerleader on it!  It's much too early to have to deal with seeing USC, especially since I hadn't even finished my coffee yet. Mr. Fishduck, get these ads under control!!!  😆 

• Haha 2

Charles - Please thank your wife for us.

I mean, it's one thing for you guys to drop $100k on this wonderful site & project over the last 11 years... but some of us are politely wondering if the bigger story is that she still loves you and has put up with you all these years 😉 🤔 😜

On the other hand, I could possibly be doing some serious self-projection here.

In all sincerity, thanks to you both. 

• Applause 1

On 8/19/2022 at 12:20 PM, Desert Duck said:

but some of us are politely wondering if the bigger story is that she still loves you and has put up with you all these years

giphy.gif

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

LOL!

WOW ! I've had two wives give me the boot, and I've never even THOUGHT about running a website but then all I've got going for me

is phenomenal looks, incredible charm, and ofcourse my legendary humility. Charles "Don't give up the ship" !

• Haha 1

Thank You for what you do!  Tell you’re wife how much we appreciate her tolerance of a bunch of deranged Duck Fans!

The advertising is tasteful and not intrusive.  It's not going to be a problem for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles, do you know how the advertising works?  I usually "X" out all advertising, especially the boxes at the bottom of the screen.  However, if that means the website isn't getting recognition for, it I'll not "X" out.

I will find out, and thanks for asking.

Mr. FishDuck

This is a labor of love by everyone involved. We can share a little love by donating a few buck to help with the expenses incurred by Charles (who has no idea I'm writing this and would probably ask me not to.) 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's only when I get bombarded by ads that I even notice them, because I'm so used to mentally tuning out ads. I had not noticed until something was said and I don't think it will be a problem for any of your readers.

Not what I would prefer, but totally understand. Thanks for all you do to keep this up and running.

One small requests. I don't mind adds, but it becomes a problem (that I just encountered) when they pop up and block actual content. 

Is there anyway to stop that?

On 8/31/2022 at 9:50 AM, OhioDuck said:

I don't mind adds, but it becomes a problem (that I just encountered) when they pop up and block actual content. 

In order to help you please let us know the title of the thread, the post number, and the device you are viewing OBD on(mobile phone, laptop, etc.) where the ad content is blocking the thread content.

On 8/31/2022 at 9:50 AM, OhioDuck said:

I don't mind adds, but it becomes a problem (that I just encountered) when they pop up and block actual content. 

It's my understanding that the ads have now been moved out of the posts to between posts. Let us know if that is not the case for you.

No problem at all Charles, keep up the great work making FD our favorite site! Go Ducks!