Duck Fan 76

Scott Frost, Nebraska Coach, Says O-Linemen Vomit 10-15 Times Per Practice

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Nebraska coach Scott Frost describes new offensive line coach Donovan Raiola's methods as inducing "probably 15-20 vomits every day."

I'm all for hard work but this is not smart.  Makes me thankful for the current Oregon training culture which promotes hard work but joy in the game.

Cool because they will be lucky to win 5 games this year. SMH.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Haha 1

Ugh this is one of those "old-school" mentalities that need to be completely retired.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cool!  Nebraska looks a depository of future portal candidates among offensive linemen!

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Remembering the debacle with Taggart's strength & conditioning coach with some of our players, not good.  

The culture Coach DL and new coaching staff, including the strength & conditioning/speed coaches they are nurturing at Oregon with the players...'Priceless!' 

1 vomit per day is too many. 

When your body vomits from exercise you've over exerted yourself. It will drain you and make continuing to work out worse. 

Also vommiting it all around an unpleasant experience. I can't imagine that is good for team moral in the long run.

Who wants to run through a wall for someone who over works you to the point you vomit all the time? 

That's a hard pass for me. 

• Thumbs Up 3

'You can't recruit to Oregon' wasn't bad enough?

I think our strength and conditioning staff is doing a great job with our players. In an article on yesterday's FishDuck Feed, there is mention of "positional stretching." You can read in the article how position groups are working their particular workouts. I've read in other articles where strength and conditioning is individualized for each player.

Rather than going through stretching lines as a team, the roster was broken into position groups where each position focused on different types of stretching.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon displayed a couple of new drills and we got a glimpse of Ty Thompson’s pure arm strength on Friday. Our takeaways from Oregon’s 13th practice of the season:

• Thumbs Up 1

And I imagine that vomit spewing all around adds to the spread of germs (anything from colds to who-knows-what).

I must admit Oregon's glory days were largely in part to our superior conditioning.  We worked harder in practice then the other teams did.  So the concept of hard work producing results is valid.  But in today's culture perhaps it should be an individual's choice.  Now if he wins the BIG, Nebraska fans will be cool with philosophy of  "vomiting your way to the top."  If he does not, then he will be a vicious task master, and looking for another job.   

Intense conditioning can absolutely cause adverse effects in the long term and short term as well.

If you have good and steady all around conditioning year round you will be in excellent shape for football with a little upgrade in the fall getting ready for the season. 

I see no need for make, the kids puke, kind of old school techniques that were used in years past. 

With all the new nutrition and workout advantages the players have today it is easy to see that the players today are mostly molded into physical specimens by the end of their sophomore season or in some cases before.

• Thumbs Up 1

I seem to recall stories of Up Chuck Island during the Kelley years.  Could be wrong but seems to be right. 

Yeah...that something I heard quite a bit growing up...."hey, what's UP-Chuck?  Get it?"

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Something else to consider... If you have players with less obvious physical issues, such as diabetes, vomiting on a regular basis can lead to more serious health issues (as serious, or more so than Rabdo), such as keto acidosis.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:52 PM, woundedknees said:

Something else to consider... If you have players with less obvious physical issues, such as diabetes, vomiting on a regular basis can lead to more serious health issues (as serious, or more so than Rabdo), such as keto acidosis.

For a type one diabetic it would be hypoglycemic, low blood sugar, that would come from vomiting. Thus losing the carbohydrates and sugars. Keto acidosis is caused from prolonged hyperglycemia, high blood sugar, which would be a result of a lack of insulin in the body. With athletes the problem is usually low blood sugar already because the body burns up what easy accessible sugars there are right away and then the liver releases back up sugars and then the low blood sugar sets in.

I'm a type one diabetic and I don't want to sound like a jerk and be a know it all... I just find that type one diabetes and diabetes in general is misunderstood, even by diabetics!

Though yes, you are correct that in the case of a diabetic vomiting during a practice is not healthy and actually low blood sugar is the more immediately dangerous of the two because low blood sugar can, if very low, result in causing an individual to go unconscious, I have personally never had this happen. For some context, the average non-diabetic's blood sugar usually hangs out around 80-110. For type ones we have to manage insulin manually so we can be all over the place but we try to keep it in a decent range (80-160 ideally).

In order to pass out due to low blood sugar it usually has to be sub 30ish. I've been as low as 23 and that was awful. Which also means you're out of commission for a good long while, at that level of blood sugar that could seriously take a good 30-40 minutes to stabilize. So best not to get that low to begin with.

Though on another level... you working pancreases types can also have low blood sugar, your bodies correct for it on their own. But you will still feel hungry, weak, and tired. This is probably one of the more minor effects of vomiting but another good reason to keep players from vomiting in the first place.

I don't know where I was going with all of this... but I hope someone found it interesting.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I just ran across another article on this topic. I get the impression from this author that it's not a big deal at Nebraska. The article is attached below.

Scott Frost says Nebraska's offensive linemen are vomiting 15-20 times per practice...“I think they love it," Frost said.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:01 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

I just ran across another article on this topic. I get the impression from this author that it's not a big deal at Nebraska. The article is attached below.

Scott Frost says Nebraska's offensive linemen are vomiting 15-20 times per practice...“I think they love it," Frost said.

I honestly do not know what to say to that.  But I cannot help but think they will be a tougher bunch for it.  Thats commitment. 

There is the possibility that this is coachspeak phrased in an over-the-top-joke. I do not see Frost being the least bit serious in this.

On 8/20/2022 at 5:32 PM, Pac10again said:

I must admit Oregon's glory days were largely in part to our superior conditioning.  We worked harder in practice then the other teams did.  So the concept of hard work producing results is valid.  But in today's culture perhaps it should be an individual's choice.  Now if he wins the BIG, Nebraska fans will be cool with philosophy of  "vomiting your way to the top."  If he does not, then he will be a vicious task master, and looking for another job.   

I couldn’t disagree more with this perspective more vehemently. 

This type of coaching philosophy is in my opinion, abuse.  It hails from a less enlightened era and has zero place in the game. 

This is not how you develop athletes and can be quite dangerous.  It took a pro player dying to end the insane ‘water is weakness’ mentality of pre-season camp.  

I dearly hope nothing even remotely close happens here.

The fact Frost thinks this is something to brag about is shameful 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Creating this culture is one of my greatest fears about the lanning culture.  He has hired personnel who believe in “radical accountability”.  

The Junction Boys is worth reading.  Most of us saw it on ESPN, but reading the book is an eye-opener.  Bear Bryant nearly killed a few of those kids.  Scott Frost really shouldn’t revisit that mentality.  

On 8/21/2022 at 5:40 PM, Pocketchange said:

Creating this culture is one of my greatest fears about the lanning culture.  He has hired personnel who believe in “radical accountability”.  

Accountability is fine.

One of the few tidbits of information that comes out of fall camp has been how Lanning was wanted to practice in more of the heat of the day but to compensate for that choice he has a cooling tent set up on the field. Then half way through practice not only is everyone told to cool down and get water but they are handing out popsicles. I know that seems insignificant and maybe a little gimmicky... but that isn't unreasonable tough it out culture.

Practicing in the heat has been explained as something that they may have to do during the season and not by choice so learning how to push through adversity. But pushing through adversity shouldn't come with a serious detriment to health and ensuring the players get to cool off and keep hydrated is important. I get the feeling with this staff if someone vomits, and thus losing a lot of water, that that player gets to break, get checked out and rehyrdate before getting back on with practice.

Remember... a player lost to injury, or severe dehydration or illness, is a player who cannot practice. Or at the very least will not be able to practice and learn in a way that you want them to.

Lanning and co are all pretty young and I don't get the sense they are going to go with some of this old school mentality. The science is there to show it works and I am sure there is plenty of science out there that says it doesn't.

• Thumbs Up 2

Talking with friends the other day, I mentioned how I can't believe this would be treated so lightly by a staff when a player died in recent memory.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair showed signs of extreme exhaustion, had difficulty standing upright while running sprints and had a temperature of 106 degrees before he died of heatstroke, multiple sources told ESPN.

Edited by Matty Luau

Like USC, Nebraska has gone way past the point of desperation in grasping for any remnant of their glory years. The Troylets’ latest B1G lunge is not available to them since they’d already played that card. Now it feels like they’re trying to embrace some form of a ‘do or die’ mentality reminiscent of an earlier age’s self-disregard in pursuit of toughness. 

I’m still a Frost fan. Satisfying that fan base? I feel for him.

Back in the olden days when I played field hockey in high school there was actually a theory that drinking water at half time was somehow bad for you, so all we got were orange sections for a source of liquid. Crazy then, crazy now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Coaches like Scott Frost make me want to vomit. 

The maxim is "train, don't strain." 

What's going on at Nebraska is not training, it's a perverse form of torture--and it endangers the health of players.. 

I’ve heard of this before.  My dad played football and he told me they specifically used orange slices at half time.  He also said that during practice you didn’t get regular water breaks.  The coaches would allow them to suck on wet rags for a water break.  Yep, back then they thought drinking water while playing or practicing was bad for you.

Frost has walked back his "vomit" comment in this article from the Fishduck Feed.

FOOTBALLSCOOP.COM

After a throw away comment on his call-in show created an online firestorm, Nebraska's head coach had to play cleanup.

• Whew! 1