FishDuck Article

Ducks Went Down to Georgia: Looking for a Game to Steal

Oregon’s loaded defense is going down to Georgia to take on the defending National Champion Bulldogs. Can the Ducks play the devil and give coach Dan Lanning a fiddle of gold with a win? Que the violin, folks — this game is going to be a barn burner! Let’s skip the cookie cutter type game previews and dig into the key ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon's loaded defense is going down to Georgia to take on the defending National Champion Bulldogs. Can the Ducks play the...

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Another great article DazeNConfused!  A championship quality game to start the season.

Your coaching predictions are quality caliber.  Here's hoping Our Beloved Ducks put it all together!

On a slow news Sunday morning, I've had time to catch up on some Duck reading. Just ran across this article from the FishDuck Feed posted a couple of days ago that really shows the high quality players UGA has and Ducks will need to focus on. The game won't be easily stolen and it will be a barn burner!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Both Georgia and Oregon have a lot of talent on the rosters, but when you compare them side by side, how do they stack up?

On 8/21/2022 at 5:56 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

On a slow news Sunday morning, I've had time to catch up on some Duck reading. Just ran across this article from the FishDuck Feed posted a couple of days ago that really shows the high quality players UGA has and Ducks will need to focus on. The game won't be easily stolen and it will be a barn burner!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Both Georgia and Oregon have a lot of talent on the rosters, but when you compare them side by side, how do they stack up?

From the articles I've read, based on that very question, Georgia has a distinct advantage.  

Yes agree with Smith72, a great article DazeNConfused.  Reading your article really points to important match ups to look for in this up and coming game.  The talent on this year's defensive team is out-standing!

This is a good article read.  We have less than two weeks before game day.  I believe in what KD will deliver with his scheme and what our defense can produce on the field.  The important question, can our offense stay clean throughout this game?  If so, what a game this will be, win or lose!

There is so much uptick to look forward to with this coaching staff and team.  Looking forward to this season!

Again, thank you DazeNConfused, Charles and others for outstanding articles and post preparing and keeping us apprise what to look forward to this season with our beloved Ducks.  Go Ducks!

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

In the coming days, every Oregon fan should sit down and set expectations for the season. Confidence is encouraged, but the Ducks have a lot of growing left to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well done DnC! Great analysis, breakdown and explanation. Thanks for your continued string of great articles.

You are correct in stating the 2022 Duck defense would be the 3rd best unit in the SEC. It's not often that Duck fans have excitement and anticipation for the Duck D. The Dawgs TE unit will be more than a handful. In the Georgia spring game the Dawg's D made the Offense grind for every yard. To move the chains Bennet, under tremendous pressure, hit pin point passes to his receivers. The Dawgs TE's helped move the chains. Matching up will be an all day, all game challenge for the Duck defense.

It didnt matter if the Georgia 1st or 2nd defensive unit was on the field. The front seven pressure was constant and disruptive. The Ducks front 7 will need to do the same to keep the team in the game. One or more of these talented players need to get to Bennett. The Georgia O line really had their hands full in that spring game against that talented D. The Ducks D has the talent, let's hope they rise to the occassion.

The Oregon Oline will have their hands full with the Dawg D. It sounds like they have their hands full in practice, too. Yet the Duck offense moves the ball well. It appears that promising drives are being stopped by turnovers. This cannot happen against any team snd especially against the Dawgs. For the Ducks to have any real chance to win they need at least 28 points. Multiple turnovers will prevent that.

All in all we match up well against the Dawgs. They have much more high quality depth than our Ducks. However the game is played on the field. This is the type of powerhouse team we will face in the CFP. You cannot and will not win a Natty unless you beat teams built like Georgia. GO DUCKS..........

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/21/2022 at 6:06 AM, Pac10again said:

From the articles I've read, based on that very question, Georgia has a distinct advantage.  

Its total team talent, player development and scheme to me. UGA is a cut above all but Bama in the SEC and the Ducks would be 5th or 6th in the SEC.

Georgia has its scheme still in place- they kept the Co-DC Schuman and moved Will Muschamp from analyst to Co-Dc- the scheme hasn't changed

Yes, they replace a lot of dudes, they won't be as good as last year, but the new dudes will be good and will get better every week they play. 

Oregon has talent but we have switched scheme, the schemes are better, but the team will improve on execution of the scheme as the year goes on. 

The Ducks may be better on defense day one, but is it enough to handle the SEC top dawgs?

The talent matchups I worry about is the UGA OL- they are all dudes and have faced elite five-star SEC DL dudes. The Ducks have a really good and deep DL but none are elite SEC DL dudes. Those five-star DL guys are rare, and they seem to all go SEC as recruits. 

Lanning said the OL was running the ball well last night in the scrimmage, that worries me. The Ducks have a veteran DL and are considered a top group, but UGA's OL dudes are cut above in talent, and the scheme has been steady. 

I'm also worried about the UGA DL- it will be the best DL talent the Ducks will see all year.

It's quite a bit to expect the Ducks Pac-12 level elite DL to stone the UGA OL in the run game, and the same goes for the Ducks OL against the UGA DL in the pass rush.

The Ducks have an uphill fight in the trenches. Lanning will make the DL more competitive than it would have been, but we are facing loaded up OL. 

Football is an unpredictable game, and anything can happen. We are going to have to watch and see. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

How many Bulldogs just went pro ? Their backups, were their backups for a reason. Is it likely the Bulldogs believe their own press clippings ?

Good possibility, you used to.  Wasn't "The Ohio State University" supposed to "Beat the Feathers Out -O- Them Ducks" last year ? What happened,

and that was without our number one defensive gun, Dr.K. "Offense draws the crowd, Defense wins the game".

Where have I heard that before ?

We Ducks have been rolling on (Flying?) Our big O, since the days of the "Mighty Chip Kelly", we now just "reload" too. I love being under estimated.

I love it when someone says "You've had it you skinny punk". Come get some. Ducks by 3

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/21/2022 at 10:21 AM, LuckeyDuck said:

How many Bulldogs just went pro ? Their backups, were their backups for a reason. Is it likely the Bulldogs believe their own press clippings ?

Good possibility, you used to.  Wasn't "The Ohio State University" supposed to "Beat the Feathers Out -O- Them Ducks" last year ? What happened,

and that was without our number one defensive gun, Dr.K. "Offense draws the crowd, Defense wins the game".

Where have I heard that before ?

We Ducks have been rolling on (Flying?) Our big O, since the days of the "Mighty Chip Kelly", we now just "reload" too. I love being under estimated.

I love it when someone says "You've had it you skinny punk". Come get some. Ducks by 3

"Their backups, were their backups for a reason."

The reason is because they were freshmen and sophomores behind first round draft picks.  Just saying.  And now they too will be first and second round choices this year.  Love your enthusiasm though. 

These "Trench Monstas" are going to stop the Bulldawg O! Click to enlarge.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The reality is "we don’t know’ and predictions are based upon how pessimistic or optimistic is the poster’s personality. We have a LOT of variables and won’t know the team’s trajectory and potential until week three or four. 

On 8/21/2022 at 10:47 AM, Pac10again said:

"Their backups, were their backups for a reason."

The reason is because they were freshmen and sophomores behind first round draft picks.  Just saying.  And now they too will be first and second round choices this year.  Love your enthusiasm though. 

The Dawgs' defense last year was generational.  They set a record for D players going in the first round.  That would be highly unlikely this year.  Their players came with high praise and golden stars...but the proof is in the play.  They may have their way with the Ducks' offensive line.  Or they may not.  But I do agree with you...the Dawgs' D is mighty awesome and will be prepared by some of the best coaches in the SEC.

• Thumbs Up 1

This post from the FishDuck Feed indicates that the loss of RB Andrew Paul to an ACL injury will leave GA short at running back for the coming season. This could become an advantage for the Ducks.

Typically, Georgia plays three to four backs per game. Paul’s absence leaves the Bulldogs with four scholarship backs overall.

WWW.AJC.COM

Coach Kirby Smart mentioned after Georgia’s scrimmage Saturday that the Bulldogs had suffered “some nicks, bumps and bruises...

Awesome article!  I 100% agree that Oregon's defense will be focused on limiting the run production and containing an amazing TE set. 

That will be a tall order but I believe Oregon gets it done with amazing talent and superior scheming.  DL has the advantage since he knows Smart AND Georgia's players.

Oregon's offensive production against an amazing Georgia defense is the open question.  If Bo plays disciplined patient football I believe Oregon's weapons and DLs understanding of the Georgia defense gives us the edge.

No pressure Bo, just make good decisions.  You don't have to be the best athlete on this field to win.

Great article D&C and I love the optimism of the Duck  fan base. As I've said many times here, I expect this game to be a true contest and, quite frankly, expect the Dawgs to wear the Ducks down in the second half. I like the analysis of the Duck defense. There are definitely some talented players there. As the Dawgs substitute liberally on D throughout the game, the real question in my mind is can the Ducks do the same. If not, fatigue may rule who wins the battle of the defenses on June 3.

As for Andrew Paul, who was generating more buzz in Fall camp than our other very highly rated freshman back, there is little chance he would have seen the field in game 1. The hope was that he might become a meaningful contributor by mid-season. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 5:57 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Great article D&C and I love the optimism of the Duck  fan base. As I've said many times here, I expect this game to be a true contest and, quite frankly, expect the Dawgs to wear the Ducks down in the second half. I like the analysis of the Duck defense. There are definitely some talented players there. As the Dawgs substitute liberally on D throughout the game, the real question in my mind is can the Ducks do the same. If not, fatigue may rule who wins the battle of the defenses on June 3.

As for Andrew Paul, who was generating more buzz in Fall camp than our other very highly rated freshman back, there is little chance he would have seen the field in game 1. The hope was that he might become a meaningful contributor by mid-season.

We are so sorry to hear about Andrew Paul's injury.  Our prayers and thoughts goes out to him for a complete healing/recovery.   

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Some great stuff D/C, and plenty to ponder. I suppose the item we don't know is who is going to be ahead in the development of the team it is going to become. Oregon, last season came out of the gate about as good as they ever were. Georgia just kept getting better, and did an awesome job of rebounding off a tough loss to Alabama. 

I have a hard time predicting anything with this game, but I do hope Oregon can continue to improve off this game. In our second game we play a team with a winning record last season, unlike Georgia who play lowly Samford. Oregon has to be vigilant through it's early season, no letting up or focusing on a game. 

This might be an edge as Georgia is at home, basically, and can focus on the Ducks then play at home again. The Ducks are in a for a wild ride early season. I just want to see an Oregon focused, executing and from my favorite Lanning quote, will they have the poise to say so what, now what!

The Ducks just need to keep becoming Lannings team. I am excited to see that develop, and hope we can all be patient as it happens.

Somebody's gotta do it...

Go Ducks!!!

On 8/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, olcodgerduck said:

Go Ducks!!!

Well it could be The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia or Georgia On My Mind or Rainy Night in Georgia--Hoping for the Best!!

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/23/2022 at 12:08 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Well it could be The Night The Lights Went Out In Georgia or Georgia On My Mind or Rainy Night in Georgia--Hoping for the Best!!

Midnight train to Georgia 

On 8/22/2022 at 8:50 PM, olcodgerduck said:

Go Ducks!!!

That's better than the Oregon song posted here the other day. That was horrible. My ears are still protesting. Liked the video tho.

• Thumbs Up 1