Pennsylvania Duck

Going to Georgia Game?...Read What Southerners Find Strange About Northerners

I saw this online while searching for Duck articles and it made me think of Duck Fans going to the Georgia game. This is a fun read...the 4th item is regarding how southerners feel about football, an opinion I've seen expressed on OBDF.

WWW.GIVEITLOVE.COM

Here are many more things that Southerners find weird about Northerners.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being a Northerner, now living in the south, it is very refreshing to get out on an evening walk and actually converse with your neighbors on the entire walk. That being said, I am hosting 13 of my family from the west/north Labor Day weekend and we are all wearing green to the game. GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

All of this is fairly accurate with a few regional differences.  And yes, there are some regional differences.  Not all southern accents are the same; coastal plain and upper coastal plain; all somewhat more refined you might say. These are found in south Alabama, south Georgia and some of north Florida, and even these have variances. 

Atlantic coastal plain and Piedmont, very similar to the coastal plain drawl, but a bit more excited in timing. Then there is the mountain accent, that has some of the same cadences, but has that Dolly Parton & Loretta Lynn bounce; found in the southern Appalachians up thru WV) Most of its pretty subtle, and people from outside the region probably can't tell the differences. 

Hope y'all enjoy the trip! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 5:40 PM, McDawg said:

All of this is fairly accurate with a few regional differences.  And yes, there are some regional differences.  Not all southern accents are the same; coastal plain and upper coastal plain; all somewhat more refined you might say. These are found in south Alabama, south Georgia and some of north Florida, and even these have variances. 

Atlantic coastal plain and Piedmont, very similar to the coastal plain drawl, but a bit more excited in timing. Then there is the mountain accent, that has some of the same cadences, but has that Dolly Parton & Loretta Lynn bounce; found in the southern Appalachians up thru WV) Most of its pretty subtle, and people from outside the region probably can't tell the differences. 

I have to agree.  I grew up in South GA, and I honestly thought I didn’t have much of a southern accent when I was young.  At least not when compared to others.  I quickly learned when I moved out of the country, that not only did I have a definitive southern drawl, people picked up on it instantly.  It was most fortuitous for me, bc I found that many people that live elsewhere really love a southern accent.  I lived out of country for a number of years and it did get a bit old after awhile.  

On 8/22/2022 at 6:17 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I have to agree.  I grew up in South GA, and I honestly thought I didn’t have much of a southern accent when I was young.  At least not when compared to others.  I quickly learned when I moved out of the country, that not only did I have a definitive southern drawl, people picked up on it instantly.  It was most fortuitous for me, bc I found that many people that live elsewhere really love a southern accent.  I lived out of country for a number of years and it did get a bit old after awhile.  

Yeah.  You south Georgia folks talk funny; ya don't sound anything like we do up here on the "Top o' Georgia."

• Thumbs Up 1

I found this quote telling, "Even in the West, college sports tend to be a bigger deal than in the North." I think we will fit in quite well.

I look forward to hearing about how we fit in nicely!

On 8/22/2022 at 6:32 PM, McDawg said:

Yeah.  You south Georgia folks talk funny; ya don't sound anything like we do up here on the "Top o' Georgia."

Yessir, we do talk a might different!  Mindya, we don’t judge other folks for speaking incorrectly. 😅

• Haha 1

I lived in Biloxi, MS in my younger years for about 3 years.  Loved the people, very hospitable/friendly.  Enjoyed my time on the Gulf Coast.

I live in NC. It’s all NY and Boston accents around here.

When I go for walks in my neighborhood in Eugene, I and others walking greet and chat with each other all time. 🙂

On 8/22/2022 at 5:12 PM, Annie said:

When I go for walks in my neighborhood in Eugene, I and others walking greet and chat with each other all time. 🙂

Agree, that is a northern big city thing. You don't make eye contact. I remember having my family in NYC, and my kids mentioned nobody looks at you!

• Thumbs Up 1

After living most of my adult life in Georgia, I became comfortable with all kinds  of southern  accents (even Cajun). I get a kick out of some of my Nevada associates  who have trouble with TV shows such as Swamp People or Moonshiners because they can't understand portions of the Southern mountain and/or Cajun dialects. One  guy won't watch without subtitles.

I was raised on the West Coast and spoke pretty much radio announcer  English when I went South. But over the years, I did pick up traces of a Southern accent without  really trying. It is especially apparent while partying and/or drinking beer. That I was  married to  a Texan helped the process along as well.

Grew up in Oregon but moved to Houston about 10 years ago.  Absolutely love the South and it's traditions.  

Recently moved to Austin, where a lot of the population is from up North or out west (CA).  It's a beautiful area but it's missing the southern  culture.

I was raised in eastern Oregon and spent most of my career in Los Angeles area. I retired to Vegas, but my better half did not like the desert. So we followed a number of our grandkids to North GA. Honestly it is amazing how friendly and welcoming everyone is. There is a reality to southern charm and comfort. Everywhere my wife and I go, she is treated as Baby, Honey, Darling. It just makes here feel warm and welcomed, and I can tell you it is heartfelt. It is just how the people here are raised and interact. BTW, they could care less about where we came from. My wife had picked up a southern accent almost immediately. She doesn’t force it, it is just a natural adaptation to her surroundings.

The worst part about living here is that a 7-8pm PAC 12 game is 10-11pm here. Tough to schedule, fortunately I’m retired and a night owl. BTW I don’t disagree that there are neighborhoods and communities like this out west. I just don’t believe it is as prevelant.