FishDuck Article

Matching Up: Oregon Offense vs Georgia Defense

New Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham’s first game for Oregon will be against the defending National Champion Georgia Bulldogs. Can Dillingham’s stacked offense lead Oregon to an upset win? This is going to be big boy football with five-star and Top-100 recruits all over the field, and Dillingham will have the national stage to show what his offense can do. Georgia ...

FISHDUCK.COM

New Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham's first game for Oregon will be against the defending National Champion Georgia Bulldogs. Can Dillingham'

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

On 8/22/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

New Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham’s first game for Oregon will be against the defending National Champion Georgia Bulldogs. Can Dillingham’s stacked offense lead Oregon to an upset win? This is going to be big boy football with five-star and Top-100 recruits all over the field, and Dillingham will have the national stage to show what his offense can do. Georgia ...

FISHDUCK.COM

New Oregon OC Kenny Dillingham's first game for Oregon will be against the defending National Champion Georgia Bulldogs. Can Dillingham'

I really wish this was later in the season.  So much of our talent and new schemes are just going to take time to develop.  This happened to Ohio State last year.  We beat them by 7 or so I think.  But by seasons end they beat the team that killed us.   I think that may be us this season?  I truly hope Utah beats Florida.  That too will be big boy football with the SEC having all the advantages.   Huge weekend for the PAC.

Excellent article!  The pass-rushing skills of Georgia are beyond elite, and one element that greatly concerns me...since I believe we have a pass-protection weakness at right tackle.  I agree with DZC, in attacking the new corner and linebackers via the passing game, but we must have time to throw the longer developing patterns.

The Baton is Being Passed

Our friend and new writer DazeNconfused has absolutely killed-it in the first three weeks of August with some blockbuster articles. After today he is passing the baton to the FishDuck Writing Staff as they return to writing nearly every week through the football season.  FishDuck will publish seven-days-a-week with a rotation of wonderful writers you know well, and the new writers on the staff have articles today, tomorrow, (Drex Heikes) and Saturday. (Alan Lohner, or formerly Axel)

And you will be seeing DZC often in the future as well...

It is going to be a great season of articles!

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

My take is the qb as a running threat will be key. We will need everyone as a running or catching hazard to stretch this defense and create mismatches and mistakes.

I look for planned roll outs with the option to run if the defense doesn't respect Nix's wheels.  Move the pocket so the defense can't just collapse on our qb, and or just stuff the run.

Dilly will stretch the field, starting with the pocket, is what I am looking for.

Great writing D/C, thanks!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ironically, this is the type of game Mario envisioned winning with his ground and pound. This is also a game that his simplistic offensive mindset would have gotten shut out in.

They will need both ingenuity and physicality to just move the chains let alone score. I see the Ducks going into this game playing with house money.

Getting a win would be awesome but the learning experience no matter the outcome should expedite long term success.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/22/2022 at 7:02 AM, Pac10again said:

I really wish this was later in the season.  So much of our talent and new schemes are just going to take time to develop

But will Oregon surpass Georgia by week 6? Both teams have things to sort out early, leveling the field as much as possible opening day.

Thanks DZC for another great article giving us insight into the upcoming game. 

I was thinking we secured a win over Ohio State in Columbus last year, not because Anthony Brown had an amazing game against the Buckeyes.  What he did do was take care of the ball, operate the offense, and get the ball to his playmakers. That's what this year's QB will need to do for Kenny Dillingham, especially against a young Georgia defense.  QB play will be the key factor.

Last year not many teams ran the ball well against Georgia.  This is where it's crucial to establish a strong run game behind an experience OL giving us confidence in setting up the rest of the playbook (though Charles pointed out about the right tackle being a weakness).

The main battle is the Georgia linebackers (mostly younger players), against the Ducks offense, which will most likely be Bo Nix as the starter.  Nix played Georgia multiple times and he didn't have much success against Kirby Smart's defense.  His 2021 stats against Georgia was Cmp-21, Att-38, Pct-55.3, Yds-217, TD-0, Int-1, Rate-98.

This time around, new team with better talent (Oregon's roster is evolving, new culture being established), with this coaching staff (Dan Lanning's familiarity with Georgia) will help make a difference for Nix, and hopefully will keep our Ducks competitive.

The big question is will our Ducks experienced offensive line be able to give him enough time? Will Nix make good decisions? He needs to get the ball to weapons like Seven McGee, Donte Thornton and others.  This will determine whether our Ducks will be competitive through out the game.  I certainly hope so!

Go Ducks, Fly High!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2022 at 11:08 AM, Haywarduck said:

My take is the qb as a running threat will be key. We will need everyone as a running or catching hazard to stretch this defense and create mismatches and mistakes.

I look for planned roll outs with the option to run if the defense doesn't respect Nix's wheels.  Move the pocket so the defense can't just collapse on our qb, and or just stuff the run.

Dilly will stretch the field, starting with the pocket, is what I am looking for.

Great writing D/C, thanks!

I agree that Nix is very capable of making plays with his legs, but not too sure it would be the wisest decision in this game.  Aside from picking up a much needed first down or turning a second and long into a third and short, it might not be worth the potential consequences.  

If he does find success running I hope that he gets what he can and then quickly gets down or out of bounds.  Otherwise he will likely take some hits that no team is comfortable with their QB taking.  On the upside, Nix is familiar with GA defenses.  He is probably aware of what he can and cannot get away with.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thumbs Up 4

This is a Locked On Ducks Podcast which was on the FishDuck Feed a while back and it is a Must Listen. It complements this topic well as Duck Podcaster Spencer McLaughlin and Bulldawgs Podcaster Clint Shamblin discuss the topic "Can Oregon Football upset the Georgia Bulldogs in week 1?"

Topics discussed include: 

• 1. Bo Nix (GA podcaster gives interesting info)
  • 2. Georgia O, Oregon D
  • 3. Georgia D, Oregon O
  • 4. What Ducks need to do to win
  • 5. Dan Lanning

Coach Lanning is getting a real tough test in his 1st game as a Head Coach. Give the man credit, he's not afraid of a fight.  Vegas has the odds at +17 for the Ducks.  They will do well to cover that spread, imo, but I'm not expecting a win. It ought to be very interesting watching how the Duck D matches up against the Georgia Offense, especially. If the Ducks can hold it close for 3 quarters and prevent a collapse in the 4th due to fatigue (heat, humidity and time zone change) Lanning and staff should be credited. I fear a big letdown for the team if the Bulldogs blow them out.  Now that will really test the coaching staff, Lanning especially.  

On 8/22/2022 at 2:26 PM, Mic said:

If the Ducks can hold it close for 3 quarters and prevent a collapse in the 4th due to fatigue (heat, humidity and time zone change) Lanning and staff should be credited.

I don't think heat/humidity should be a problem as they are playing in Atlanta in Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  It should be a nice, comfortable 72 degrees 🙂

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/22/2022 at 12:32 PM, Wrathis said:

I don't think heat/humidity should be a problem as they are playing in Atlanta in Mercedes-Benz Stadium.  It should be a nice, comfortable 72 degrees 🙂

Good. Given the weather here in the valley recently, they'll feel like it's cool.  I hadn't thought about the air-conditioned stadium, thanks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:32 PM, Wrathis said:

Yep, not saying it’s exactly a neutral field, but the Ducks do catch a break by playing in Mercedes Benz stadium rather than Sanford Stadium.  It’s likely that Utah feels the effects of summer weather in the Deep South while taking on the Gators in Gainesville.  

I do hope that the Utes can overcome this and handle the Gators.  Don’t get me wrong, I do normally pull for the SEC.  Unless that SEC team is UF or the opposing out of conference team is Oregon.  I am also likely to pull for an out of conference foe if they are a big underdog and have a chance to beat an SEC team that isn’t GA.  

Honestly, I wish that UGA and UO could have worked out a home and home, but playing at 72 degrees does benefit all involved this time of year.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/22/2022 at 4:15 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Honestly, I wish that UGA and UO could have worked out a home and home, but playing at 72 degrees does benefit all involved this time of year.

A home and home would have been great!  Each fan base gets a taste of both hospitality/tailgating, etc. fund activities before game time.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2022 at 4:15 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Yep, not saying it’s exactly a neutral field, but the Ducks do catch a break by playing in Mercedes Benz stadium rather than Sanford Stadium.  It’s likely that Utah feels the effects of summer weather in the Deep South while taking on the Gators in Gainesville.  

I do hope that the Utes can overcome this and handle the Gators.  Don’t get me wrong, I do normally pull for the SEC.  Unless that SEC team is UF or the opposing out of conference team is Oregon.  I am also likely to pull for an out of conference foe if they are a big underdog and have a chance to beat an SEC team that isn’t GA.  

Utah will feel the humidity effects.  There's a massive difference between SLC and 30% and Gainesville Fl and 93% I have been to SLC; just got back from Florida. 85* here with 90% humidity is worse than 110* and 25% in Arizona.  The Utes are gonna sweat. Florida is maybe equal on the 1st 22, but after that Utah probably has better depth and Whittingham is a good coach.  Napier is gonna be a good coach too, but Whittingham has the advantage of tenure.

On 8/22/2022 at 7:02 AM, Pac10again said:

I really wish this was later in the season.  So much of our talent and new schemes are just going to take time to develop.  This happened to Ohio State last year.  We beat them by 7 or so I think.  But by seasons end they beat the team that killed us.   I think that may be us this season?  I truly hope Utah beats Florida.  That too will be big boy football with the SEC having all the advantages.   Huge weekend for the PAC.

I, too, hope that Utah beats Florida and actually expect them to if the Utah squad can deal with the oppressive early September heat and humidity at Florida  Field, aka the Swamp.Ofcourse, Florida is the Dawgs biggest rival whom we always like  to see getting stomped.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2022 at 1:24 PM, NJDuck said:

A home and home would have been great!  Each fan base gets a taste of both hospitality/tailgating, etc. fund activities before game time.

Against a really big team like Georgia (Ohio St, etc.) I suspect that a 'home and home' would mean a stadium in Portland.  Autzen is: 1) very loud, and 2) very small (by SEC & Big 10 standards).  I'd think the Georgia Bulldogs would want a bigger stadium (as an excuse to avoid the Autzen pitfall).  LOL

Just kidding...I don't think the Bulldogs are afraid of anyone.  I remember when Mich. State came out to Eugene (and lost) and how much fun that was to interact with some of their fan base.  We had a good number at our rather large tailgate party and they were nice people, great fans and fun to get to know.  You're right, it's always nice to see the other team's fans.  It's a big reason why I love collegiate sports.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/22/2022 at 2:05 PM, McDawg said:

Utah will feel the humidity effects.  There's a massive difference between SLC and 30% and Gainesville Fl and 93% I have been to SLC; just got back from Florida. 85* here with 90% humidity is worse than 110* and 25% in Arizona.  The Utes are gonna sweat.

Good for the Utes.  It's about time they got some serious recognition and about time some of the other schools back East see just how tough they are to beat.  But yes...the humidity is gonna be tough for them, esp. in the 2nd Half.  Go Utes. Go Pac-10.

On 8/22/2022 at 6:04 PM, Mic said:

Good for the Utes.  It's about time they got some serious recognition and about time some of the other schools back East see just how tough they are to beat.  But yes...the humidity is gonna be tough for them, esp. in the 2nd Half.  Go Utes. Go Pac-10.

I agree, it is high time they get deserved recognition.  I’m no Utes fan but they have certainly earned respect from the rest of college football.  

And I must admit Billy Napier is likely to prove to be a very good power 5 Coach given time.  But UF must commit to giving him time.  At the moment I think Utah is the favorite.  

No one's noticed my faux pas: "Pac-10" above.  Of course, with UCLA and USC skedaddling, it may very well be the new name, after all.

This game is all about the Oregon O getting it done against the Georgia D. Football games are won by scoring points. Lots of points  .   

I am a avid Duck fan, optimist and well a OBD homer. But beating the Dawgs will be an all hands on deck, 110% effort on 110% of every play.

A Duck win is possible.........

But let this fact set in as we excitedly approach this big time matchup. During the 2020 and 2021 seasons only 2 teams scored more than 30 points against the Dawgs D.

In 2020 Bama put up 41 and the Gators 44. In 2021 Bama put up 41 in the SEC title game. The Dawgs lost those 3 games. The SEC has more than a few high powered offenses and only 3 topped 30 points in 2 seasons.

The Ducks have the weapons, can create mismatches and will need to exexute Dilly's offense to near perfection. And that may not be enough. However, playing a CFP powerhouse is just one more step on the road to a Natty.

The Ducks best offense may be the super talented Duck defense holding the Dawgs under 30 points. Its a tall task but to be the best you have to beat the best........GO DUCKS......

If there were ever a time to play Georgia, it would be this season in week 1.  Yes they're reloading on defense but they're still replacing a whopping 8 players on that side of the ball.  With all those new starters and it being the 1st game of the season, mistakes are inevitably going to happen. 

If Oregon's offense runs well and they capitalize on every mistake the Bulldogs give them then they have a shot.

On 8/23/2022 at 3:41 PM, kirklandduck said:

If there were ever a time to play Georgia, it would be this season in week 1.  Yes they're reloading on defense but they're still replacing a whopping 8 players on that side of the ball.  With all those new starters and it being the 1st game of the season, mistakes are inevitably going to happen. 

If Oregon's offense runs well and they capitalize on every mistake the Bulldogs give them then they have a shot.

I fear Oregon is going to be able to run the ball.  Or as we say in the SEC "RTDB" 

I hope not, but thats where I see Oregons success offensively.