BYUTexan

For Visitors: Eugene, Tailgating Advice and Recommendations

Will be arriving in Eugene, Friday the 16th and was looking to visit some of the local breweries and taprooms, looking to do a "pub crawl" during that day so to speak to check out the local craft beer scene, but I didn't realize how many breweries and taprooms there are in Eugene so I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the different options in choosing which ones to go to.  Here are the ones I'm considering (in no particular order): 

1. Alesong on 5th

2. Oakshire Public House

3. Beergarden 

4. Ninkasi Better Living Room

5. Elkhorn 

6. Hop Valley

7. Cold Fire

8.  Wildcraft Cider Works

9.  Gratitude 

10. Claim 52

11. Falling Sky

12. The Beer Stein

13. Tap And Growler 

Can y'all help me narrow down the choices based on your recommendations?  Also, is there a bus system that we could take in between stops at these places so that we won't have to drive or is it all walkable (within walking distance and with sidewalk access, etc)?

Tailgating: what is the tailgating scene like and what should we expect that day?  Since it will be an earlier game (12:30), I'm guessing there won't be that much tailgating and breakfast options will be limited?  Anyone here hosting a tailgating party for that morning/day?

Thank you!

I can give you the map, but others here would know better the qualities of the various pubs and breweries.

I think there will probably be plenty of tailgaiting in the morning, both at Autzen and across the street. Again, others can provide details.

Hope  you have a fun time in Eugene!

• Like 1

A family obligation keeps me from hosting a tailgate that weekend.

There will be a lot of active tailgates 2 to 3 hours before kickoff. Oregon fans will be excited for the Lanning era to begin.

The Moshofsky Center (an indoor practice field) next to the stadium is always an option.  It is turned into a big beer garden on game days. However, you must enter the stadium gates to have access. 

Just be aware that your ticket is a one way trip into the stadiums confines. Once inside the stadiums gates your ticket doesn’t allow you to leave the stadium and reenter.

• Great post! 1

On 8/22/2022 at 3:51 PM, BYUTexan said:

Will be arriving in Eugene, Friday the 16th and was looking to visit some of the local breweries and taprooms, looking to do a "pub crawl" during that day so to speak to check out the local craft beer scene, but I didn't realize how many breweries and taprooms there are in Eugene so I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the different options in choosing which ones to go to.  Here are the ones I'm considering (in no particular order): 

1. Alesong on 5th

2. Oakshire Public House

3. Beergarden 

4. Ninkasi Better Living Room

5. Elkhorn 

6. Hop Valley

7. Cold Fire

8.  Wildcraft Cider Works

9.  Gratitude 

10. Claim 52

11. Falling Sky

12. The Beer Stein

13. Tap And Growler 

Can y'all help me narrow down the choices based on your recommendations?  Also, is there a bus system that we could take in between stops at these places so that we won't have to drive or is it all walkable (within walking distance and with sidewalk access, etc)?

Tailgating: what is the tailgating scene like and what should we expect that day?  Since it will be an earlier game (12:30), I'm guessing there won't be that much tailgating and breakfast options will be limited?  Anyone here hosting a tailgating party for that morning/day?

Thank you!

Sark, is that you? If I had to pick a game where I would expect to run into absolutely zero opposing fans in the local bars, the BYU game would be the one. Anyway, who am I to judge? I’m sure I took my first drink of beer while I was still in diapers. 

I have never been to a noon game, but everybody still tailgates around the stadium. They just do it all classy-like with Bloody Mary’s and Mimosas. Just kidding, Duck fans can get redneck with the best of them, so expect to see plenty of beer. We don’t have the tailgating “prowess” as some of our northerly neighbors, but we also don’t drop home games to Montana.

I always parked at the Masonic Lodge across from PK Park. They charged a flat fee for the car and had plenty of portable toilets. Just remember to BYOB. Save some for the end of the game as it can take a while for MLK to clear up enough for you to drive out of there. The after-parties are always the best anyway.

• Like 1

All of these places have good beer and good grub. At the same time, they are all staffed by youngish hipster types who hate all sports. You'll have to separate the Autzen experience from the brewery experience.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

There is a bar right by the stadium called "The Cooler". I have not been there in 15 years, but it's the last place where I tried to pass myself off as cool, or someone of an age who knew what something like "yeet" means. 

• Haha 1

On 8/22/2022 at 6:49 PM, 2002duck said:

All of these places have good beer and good grub. At the same time, they are all staffed by youngish hipster types who hate all sports. You'll have to separate the Autzen experience from the brewery experience.

This^^^

Rennie's or The Cooler would be better options on game day. They will have good local brews on tap without the skinny jeans & avocado toast vibe.

Of course I am 60 so....

Besides, you can always go to Ninkasi or another brewery for the microbrew tour/tasting experience on Friday or Sunday.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 9:05 PM, idontrollonshobbas said:

This^^^

Rennie's or The Cooler would be better options on game day. They will have good local brews on tap without the skinny jeans & avocado toast vibe.

Of course I am 60 so....

Besides, you can always go to Ninkasi or another brewery for the microbrew tour/tasting experience on Friday or Sunday.

Plan to do that on that Friday, we'll be driving back that Sunday.  

Also, any of y'all are welcome to join us.  

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 7:26 PM, BYUTexan said:

Plan to do that on that Friday, we'll be driving back that Sunday.  

Have a great time.....Eugene in Fall on gameday is a blast.  Walk to the stadium from campus, cross the river and check out the Mo Center inside the gates for pre-game.

After the game, hit a tailgater in the parking lot before wandering back across the river and through campus to Rennie's for the wind down.  Sy's pizza for a slice between brews is around the corner from Rennie's.  Just follow the crowd both ways and you'll get to where you need to go.

• Like 1

Google maps is your friend. You list Alesong and Tap and Growler, they are in the 5th Street Market complex. A dozen restaurants in two blocks. Wine tasting, distillery, ice cream, Gordon Tavern in namesake Hotel with Mex & margaritas on the top floor. Walk a few blocks over to Willamette and Broadway for VooDoo donuts and another 12 nightclubs. Younger crowd, bring an open mind. Ten blocks south on Willamette St( you will pass Claim 52 and falling Sky on 11th)  to Beer Stein, catty corner is Mac's, top blues venue with a live band on the lawn. The Whitaker neighborhood has many of the other breweries you listed. Not a bad place on your list. 

In your spare time head over to Springfield, 4th & Main. Planktown Brewing, Brass Monkey Tiki Bar, a half dozen restaurants, then walk over to Public House Hub, a few more restaurants, tap house and a hard liquor bar in a repurposed church with stain glass windows.  

• Great post! 1

The bus service is called Lane Transit District (LTD).   If you want to see bus routes.

As for the pubs/breweries, I guess it depends on what you are looking for. Ninkasi is a brewery that started in Eugene and is at least regional, if not national.

The Beer Stein is a pub that has hundreds of beers from around the world.

Definitely use google maps.  Search for pubs and the breweries.  You can see if you stay between 2nd and Madison (Oakshire Pub House, most NW) 3rd and Mill (Coldfire Brewery, most NE), Hilyard & Broadway (Elkhorn, most SE) 13th & Oak Alley (Falling sky, most SW) you have 11 breweries and 6 pubs you can walk to and drink.

I'm not sure if you care about Animal House, but you can see a couple of spots they filmed.  If you go on E. 11th between Hilyard and Alder you can see the fraternity and the sorority they used in the film.  On the map it is called Alpha Sigma Phi and Richardson Hall.

I'd check out Hayward field as well.  It is a different experience than seeing it on TV.

Depending on where you stay, there is foot bridge south of the river where you can walk across to get to Autzen.

• Great post! 1

Wow, thanks guys!  

Now I got to figure out gameday parking with no Uber available that gameday.  

On 8/26/2022 at 4:24 PM, BYUTexan said:

Wow, thanks guys!  

Now I got to figure out gameday parking with no Uber available that gameday.  

If you want the bridge walk experience as scene on tv, park by the U of O not by the stadium. From there, just follow the flow of the crowd.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2022 at 6:44 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

If you want the bridge walk experience as scene on tv, park by the U of O not by the stadium. From there, just follow the flow of the crowd.

That sounds like a great idea.  What is the parking like over there? 

The only time I parked on campus, my buddy's wife worked there and had a lifetime parking pass. Not  bad hike. There is a new parking garage close to the foot bridge. I imagine it will fill up early. LTD used to run shuttles, I think the UofO took over that service and uses school buses. They haven't posted the schedule for this year, but if they follow past years they will have parking at Valley River, Gateway area and Springfield. 

If you're an early morning person (after pub hopping at all the places you listed), park at Valley River, eat breakfast at Elmer's and catch the shuttle or better yet, walk along the river. It's about the same distance as walking from campus. 

To check up on current Autzen policies

GODUCKS.COM

Autzen Stadium

• Great post! 1

This will give you information about UO parking. Scroll down to the map and you'll see the Millrace Garage, which is right by a path that leads to Autzen. If you turn right just as you get to the garage, there has been a lot that provides parking for Duck games for $10 (as of last year, anyway). If you turn left just as you reach the Millrace Garage it takes you to a lot where I think you can pay by phone and I believe that's $15. But get there early. If you click on the map, it gets large enough to read the names of the roads.

Other parking at the UO just be sure you don't park by a sign that says "Reserved at all times."

TRANSPORTATION.UOREGON.EDU

Edited by Annie
  • Great post! 1

Thank you!

On 8/22/2022 at 7:27 PM, BYUTexan said:

Also, any of y'all are welcome to join us.  

Congrats on getting tickets.

I encourage you to take a few minutes and enjoy the view from Spencer Butte before the first pub.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

This post was in another thread, and thanks to Mic for sharing...

After the big win yesterday and with both teams being ranked - yeah, this game will likely sellout.  Meaning a traffic mess if you have to drive anywhere around the stadium.  My advice to you is to use one of the available Park-n-Locks and ride the shuttle bus to and from the game.  The P-n-L at the Pacific Source building north of town will be the easiest for you to reach coming from Salem.  Take exit 195 to the Gateway Blvd area and follow your navigator to 555 International Way, Springfield.  Easy-Peasy, avoids all the traffic and near impossibility of finding a place to park within a couple miles of the stadium.

There is a security guard on-duty there and it's well outside of any densely populated area.  It's a safe place to park and a very short walk to the shuttles busses.  Oh, and be prepared to pay the $5 shuttle fee/person with your smart phone, if you have one.  If you don't - I don't know what to tell you, they can't accept cash.

Or, go to Sam's Place off 11th Ave., on Conger, have a beer and ride the free shuttle from there to and from the game.  But check it out early first, to make sure the place still runs their shuttle.  It's a great little sports bar in West Eugene.  Owner's name is Jim.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

This came from another thread and we thank Drake for providing the information...

Traffic on I5 just south of Salem 3 hours before game time is generally very congested and slow. It will probably take an extra 20 minutes to get to Eugene. If you don’t have tailgating plans the Moshofsky Center is located next to the stadium. It is an indoor practice field. 

You can grab food, sodas, or beer inside.

Mr. FishDuck

This came from another thread and we thank DrJackPlaidPants for it!

If you like to tailgate then get there early to beat the traffic and get a spot at the Masonic Lodge across from PK Park on MLK. Lots of good times happening over there.

Mr. FishDuck

My FishDuck Friends...we will suggest this thread every week to those who ask, so if you have suggestions for those visiting Eugene and coming to Autzen...do it here!

Entrance to Spring Game_Gary Breedlove.jpg

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/12/2022 at 12:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

There is a security guard on-duty there and it's well outside of any densely populated area.  It's a safe place to park and a very short walk to the shuttles busses.  Oh, and be prepared to pay the $5 shuttle fee/person with your smart phone, if you have one.  If you don't - I don't know what to tell you, they can't accept cash.

For those over 65, however, the shuttle bus is free!

On 9/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Annie said:

For those over 65, however, the shuttle bus is free!

Not any longer Annie. We had to pay $5/ea.  Fortunately, my friend had a smart phone or we would have been forced to resort to a taxi.  Can you imagine what a cabbie wants to drive by Autzen on game day?!!

That's weird. At the Fairgrounds they were asking if people were over 65, saying they could ride free. It was the same last year.

Wow, you Ducks are awesome.  I wish UGA and UO would schedule a home and home.  If it ever happens I really hope I can make the trip to Eugene.  And if not, when I get less busy (retired). I’m coming anyway just to watch the Ducks and maybe rent a comfortable spacious ride for myself and family to see some sites and enjoy a slow ride back east. My dad always wanted to do that but sadly it never worked out.  Cats in the cradle and such.  Hopefully I can make it happen with my daughter someday.  

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2