RichardDuck

Georgia Fan Base Delusional

Cracks me up how lightly regarded the Ducks are to many of these SECers. I've seen many references among Dawg commentators to the fact that we got crushed by Utah twice last season, but ZERO references to our early season victory in Columbus.

Well, I'm staying away from a mirror on this one, as I believe that I and many Oregon fans are quite delusional....and happily so!  My head tells me that we will be just short of being crushed by the Bulldogs, but my heart tells me...."we can do it!"

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I'd say some dawg fans are delusional but the other Dawg aren't. Win a championship, talk all you want Dawg fans. 2-15, back to the dawg house you go fuskie fan.

Georgia has a great program. What they're delusional about is the strength of the Duck program. They equate us to SEC bottom-feeders.

• Thumbs Up 1

Insecurity is the core definition for lots of football fan: they focus on the things that make

them feel confidant, and ignore the rest. In that regard, Georgia is no different from Idaho State, or any place else. We got our share too. Toot the horn.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wtih the Ducks having an entirely new set of coaches, including a HC who has not been a HC before, and QBs who have never started a game for the Ducks, I don't know what to think about the game against Georgia, or the entire season, for that matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel we should be careful of tossing the term, delusional around. Those folks up North have spent, years, decades, centuries refining their state of existence. They have turned it into an art form. Others can try, but they won't own it.

No one knows their program like its die hard fans. That includes the vast majority of journalists, even some who cover your team. 

We all know far more about Oregon and what Oregon is capable of that any national journalist and especially more than the vast majority of Georgia fans.

In turn all I really know about Georgia is what I've read here or heard from national journalists. 

The big difference is that Georgia gets a ton more press than we do and they just won a national championship so that gives us more information to work off of. 

Additionally, we got a ton of information about Georgia as a program because we hired Dan Lanning and every story about him includes Georgia. 

So I do think Georgia's fan are underestimating the Ducks. But they also don't know what our ducks can do. 

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

We know how poorly we played against Utah twice.  Yes coach MC was bad in game day preparation for those games against Utah, we also had a lot of team injuries last year.  But Utah has a great team who we lost badly in both games. 

From what I read, last year Utah ran the third most offensive plays when facing nine defenders in the box, averaging 5.7 yards per rushing attempt.  Also, they ran the most first-down plays against nine-man boxes, where they averaged over 6 yards per carry.  Their tailback finished third nationally in rushing touchdowns from a group that finished second nationally in rushing efficiency.

Cameron Rising is very good.  Utah finished 10th nationally in passing success rate.  I see why they are ranked so high nationally.  I am glad we are not facing them until later in the season, giving our team time for growth and more seasoned.

Georgia well, we know what they did last year.  I can understand them under-estimating what Oregon can do.  Last year, outside of how well we played at Ohio State, we failed to impress nationally through the rest of the season.

I believe this year will be different.  I have confidence in this coaching staff putting the best QB at this moment in the Georgia game that will help give us our biggest chance to be competitive.  We have so many great talented players on both sides of the ball, which our great FishDuck writers have so intelligently pointed out to us in many articles.

Our defense will be phenomenal this year.  We have a talented seasoned front OL along with the talented OT Conerly.  We have talented receivers, TEs and a running back room that will be surprisingly good.

Oregon has a hard schedule this year and there will be growing pains in this game against Georgia.  But, I believe there will be a big jump between the first game and the second game, moving forward.

I love my Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

For now I can only look forward to being called delusional after we win a national championship, but I can guarantee I will be. I do admit to being delusional, and now it is only our preseason.

Unknown-1.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 1

Hard not to blame them for dissing the Ducks. After all what have the Ducks done lately? Mediocre bowl wins or losses and lackadaisical play on the field. 

Well this isn't a good excuse but it is the one I will use, this isn't a UGA thing, or even an SEC thing (okay it is an SEC thing 😁) but mainly a Pac-12 perception issue.  One that I, and any reasonably knowledgeable fan knows is BS. But it is there and it is perpetuated by the media directly or indirectly.

The only way to break it is by Pac 12 teams winning some big non-conference games (but not you guys against UGA I hope 😉) and get to and win playoff games.  It ain't fair but it is reality.

Non-Clemson ACC teams and non-Texas/Oklahoma Big 12 team face this too.  Even Clemson has to feel like they have to go undefeated to get the benefit of the doubt.

And as delusional as UGA fans may be I would say florida fans are even more convinced they will beat Utah, which I don't get that arrogance at all!

Lastly, of course there are some UGA fans who think this way but I guarantee you many are respectful and are worried about the Ducks, myself included.

• Thanks 2
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 8

Duck players have to adjust to new coaches, scheme and culture.  Dan Lanning and staff have to adjust to being the New Guys, his staff finding the ways to jell together and manage the players on hand.  Hopefully, they all, Coaches, players find their footing and with that, success.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2

On 8/23/2022 at 11:48 AM, RichardDuck said:

Cracks me up how lightly regarded the Ducks are to many of these SECers. I've seen many references among Dawg commentators to the fact that we got crushed by Utah twice last season, but ZERO references to our early season victory in Columbus.

Simply because Mid-Western & Southern teams think Utah's another anomaly, probably winning over weak conference teams, not worth considering.  Utah has a chance to pop that balloon soon if they show in Florida.  

Oregon has to show up in Atlanta and at least make a game of it.  Problem is, all-new everything almost from coaching to QB's to many of the skill positions over a solidly entrenched SEC powerhouse loaded with talent and confidence.  Just cover the spread Oregon, and go from there.  Don't let the Dawgs punch you in the mouth without punching them right back.  Harder.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1

Yes, it’s true.  There are some UGA fans that are a bit delusional, and there are some that are arrogant in their views of college football.  To be fair, these fans are still a bit on a high from their first NC in over 40 years.  It’s ok if they are a bit arrogant for the time being.  And really, most probably know very little about Oregon.  They know Lanning is the coach, Bo Nix transferred in, and Utah really put it on Oregon twice last season.  Many don’t believe the whispers the might have heard about Oregon being extremely talented.  There are also UGA fans that have a better understanding of Oregon and the Pac-12 in general.  

As for me, I’m absolutely concerned about playing the Ducks.  Most of the other Dawg fans I’ve seen post on this forum would likely agree.  The Perception of the Pac-12 is just not good at the moment, so lazy fans just assume every team in the conference will be sub-par.  As amcDawg said, win big games, put teams in the playoff and perception will change.  

While there are Dawg fans that take Oregon much too lightly, I think some of that will change Sept. 3.  I don’t think this game will be a blowout.  It’s really hard to tell though.  Too many changes from last year for both teams.  Time will tell.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

Oregon doesn't measure up to Georgia. Period. 

However, I feel like this team is headed in the right direction, and perhaps if there had been a home & home, then Oregon would have given the bulldogs a good fight in the second series. 

But this year, too many unknowns, and variables working against the ducks. 

I don't see it happening this year. Not under the current circumstances. 

• Oh no! 1

Lanning as a Motivator is on test Sept. 3.  

It's one thing to have talented HS kids (and maybe a couple years in the collegiate ranks).  Quite another to play well as a coordinated unit on the field against a true, big, solid, winning program from the SEC.  

If the Ducks come to Atlanta motivated and prepared for a dog-fight (no pun intended) it should be entertaining.  If not... well... the Bulldogs are gonna teach the Ducks a hard lesson.  Personally, I think the Ducks will be game, but out-matched.  This year.  But I expect they will cover the spread.

I remember being a junior on campus when I had the honor of listening to one of the greatest pep talks, from one of Oregon's great Senators.

While I was not sure that we could overtake mighty Georgia, I harkened back to his words and now I believe.

I remind you all of his words:

"What? Over? Did you say 'over?' Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!.. It ain't over now, 'cause when the goin gets tough, the tough get goin'."

I believe we are tough. 28 - 24 Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Great pep talk but never heard of a German “Zero."😉

Senator Bultarsky was one of a kind. 

• Haha 1

Hey guys lighten up. Talking season is the time for delusions.

I also believe that posts above by fellow Dawg fans  SoGA Dawg and amcDawg accurately reflect what most knowledgeable Georgia fans think about the upcoming game. As for perceptions  of  the PAC-12, many SEC fans who are not students of the college game downplay a league with  a champion that ended up with four loses last year. Unfair but that's the perception.

Oh, and Go Utes on September 3!!

I am delusional as a Duck fan. Why wouldn't Dawg fans be as a Dawg fan? Love to banter back and forth with opposing teams fans. I have respect for Georgia but they might want to stock up on the puppy pads, they are going to need them.

• Go Ducks! 2

Look, I love my Ducks, but the reality is Oregon is a step below Georgia as a program and as a current team.

UGA has a national championship in the last 20 years - Ducks don't.

UGA has far more players who were 5-star recruits.

UGA has far more players who are considered top 100 college players.

UGA has an established coaching staff - Ducks don't.

UGA plays in the SEC, and you can hate the SEC's arrogance all you want, but as long as titles continue to be won by Georgia, LSU, Bama, etc. it's hard to argue with their success - particularly compared to the Pac 12-minus-2.

UGA finished their season by beating Bama - Ducks finished theirs with two straight blowout losses to Utah.

The upcoming game might as well be a home game for UGA - Ducks will be 3,000 miles away from home, in hostile territory.

So do I like when some fans of other teams are arrogant?  Not particularly.  But in this case, some of that arrogance and the predictions of an easy win are justifiable.

Now, what will be absolutely freaking fantastic is if the Ducks overcome all of these disadvantages and beat Georgia...exactly the way they did last year to tOSU, which arguably had the exact same advantages over Oregon that Georgia has.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If only we could face those Bulldogs in the Horseshoe!

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

On 8/24/2022 at 1:34 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Hey guys lighten up. Talking season is the time for delusions.

I also believe that posts above by fellow Dawg fans  SoGA Dawg and amcDawg accurately reflect what most knowledgeable Georgia fans think about the upcoming game. As for perceptions  of  the PAC-12, many SEC fans who are not students of the college game downplay a league with  a champion that ended up with four loses last year. Unfair but that's the perception.

Oh, and Go Utes on September 3!!

I appreciate the Georgia fans who have been on here. You have all shown nothing but respect.

Living on the east coast and now in Ohio, I understand the perception problem of the PAC.

Some is just timing, who stays up to all hours of the night and morning to watch west coast football (which is way too often played at night on the west coast, hint, hint), but some is a lack of performance in recent years in big games a bowl games. 

I have had a little problem with some general SEC fans. I think the conference is often over rated as from top to bottom.

Yes, Georgia is always good, Alabama is always good. Sometimes the two best teams in the country.

Then there are three or four teams (which ones rotate from year to year) that can give GA and Bama a decent game.

Then there is the rest of the conference that both GA and Bama can regularly beat by 30+ points. 

I expect this game to be really tough for Oregon to win, but I think some of the betting spreads I've seen are way off.

Oregon is better than those SEC teams GA and Bama usually beat by 30+. If Chemistry comes together, coaching staff proves to be as good as I think they are, Oregon may be a lot better than those teams.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The PAC went 0-5 in bowls last year. In a battle of two teams that saw their coaches leave before their bowls, UO was down 31-3 by halftime. 

The defending national champs and their fan base have the right to talk as much smack as they want. Duck fans feel that the team under performed due to sub par coaching and the team is much better than the results. 

I believe that as well but it will need to be shown on the field.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/24/2022 at 2:40 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

The PAC went 0-5 in bowls last year. In a battle of two teams that saw their coaches leave before their bowls, UO was down 31-3 by halftime. 

The defending national champs and their fan base have the right to talk as much smack as they want. Duck fans feel that the team under performed due to sub par coaching and the team is much better than the results. 

I believe that as well but it will need to be shown on the field.

I absolutely agree with you.  I’m not so much trying to defend my fellow Dawg fans and their smack talk, but it is college football, and talking a little trash really does fit in with the experience.  Sure you should be respectful, and I would say that most are.  But if you can’t get away with talkin a little smack after your team wins a natty then when can you.  

I have friends that are die hard Bama, LSU, Clemson, Florida State, and even Ohio State Fans.  Needless to say I’ve taken my share of ribbing over the years.  Of coarse I stuck the knife in a bit this past January.  I may have even twisted it a bit!  It’s all in good fun.  It adds to the experience.  And it’s a fact, what goes around comes around eventually.  

I think the Ducks are on the front end of another nice run with Lanning and Co.  Will they win a NC?  Who knows, but I think they will certainly be contenders and have shots at it.  

• Thumbs Up 4

Go ducks

Edited by Pac10again
  • Go Ducks! 1

On 8/24/2022 at 12:17 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I absolutely agree with you.  I’m not so much trying to defend my fellow Dawg fans and their smack talk, but it is college football, and talking a little trash really does fit in with the experience.  Sure you should be respectful, and I would say that most are.  But if you can’t get away with talkin a little smack after your team wins a natty then when can you.  

I have friends that are die hard Bama, LSU, Clemson, Florida State, and even Ohio State Fans.  Needless to say I’ve taken my share of ribbing over the years.  Of coarse I stuck the knife in a bit this past January.  I may have even twisted it a bit!  It’s all in good fun.  It adds to the experience.  And it’s a fact, what goes around comes around eventually.  

I think the Ducks are on the front end of another nice run with Lanning and Co.  Will they win a NC?  Who knows, but I think they will certainly be contenders and have shots at it.  

Heck, Ducks have never won a NC and I have been on here throwing darts at defending champ Dawg fan. It's always a good time for smack. It's  the sport within the sport. I try not to be a jerk about it. I also think egg gives the beard a nice sheen. 🧔

• Salute 1
  • Haha 3

It's natural for Oregon fans to feel the program is beginning a new era; but, to the rest of the college football world - it's the team that got absolutely handled twice by Utah and (didn't look particularly competitive in its bowl game).

Meanwhile, Georgia pounded Michigan then went on to beat Alabama for the National Championship.

So, I can absolutely see Georgia fans being pretty confident (and in a couple discussions I've found they actually have been a lot less dismissive than the tOSU fans last year). It is a new season, and by the most commonly used measures of talent, an 18 point spread seems like a lot; but, add in a new Oregon staff to the final impressions left at the end of last year, I can see where the number comes from.

If Oregon had just won a national championship the way Georgia did....I would be so full of myself that other fans would find me horrendous to be around.  So I think the restraint that 'Dawg fans have shown here says a ton about just how classy they are, and I am grateful they share with us.

They have every right to be proud, and I hope we get to that level someday as well.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/24/2022 at 12:17 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Oregon owns this one. Nice to see you "Southern Boys " are using it correctly.

Ducks have never won a Natty but...

Oregon has left its mark on college football and its fans in significant ways. 

From the word "Natty" to the speed offense is played. And the world loves the Oregon Ducks for it.

"During the 2010 season following a 48-29 win over Arizona Oregon cornerback Cliff Harris told reporters, "We're looking at the 'Natty' now, you know?" Harris coined the term "Natty" and it has stuck with Ducks fans ever since."

By the way, Harris intercepted that ball! 

On 8/24/2022 at 2:11 PM, Log Haulin said:

By the way, Harris intercepted that ball! 

and then... He smoked it ALL!

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:11 PM, Log Haulin said:

Heck, Ducks have never won a NC and I have been on here throwing darts at defending champ Dawg fan. It's always a good time for smack. It's  the sport within the sport. I try not to be a jerk about it. I also think egg gives the beard a nice sheen. 🧔

Absolutely, college football was made for talking a little smack.  It’s fun and adds a bit of personal character to the game.  I usually reserve my hard smack talking to my friends that are fans of other teams, only bc they understand the score and Honestly it just means more.  

I have a good friend that loves Bama, and I’ve had to deal with him incessantly for years.  So many times we have come close only to fall victim to Bama.  Trust me, he never let me forget.  So obviously I was on a bit of a high going into last years SEC CG.  I shoulda known better, Bama beat the brakes off of us and my buddy certainly let me know it………..again.    

Now my Bama buddy is probably the only friend I have that I can honestly say understands football better than me.  He actually played D1 football and much of what I know I learned from him.  We watched the playoff games together and after watching GA handle Michigan was the first time I remember him being a little lax on the trash talk.  His exact words were “that defense is ridiculous”.  

Of coarse I saw the same thing he did and of coarse I talked it up as much as possible.  I had nothing to lose and this was my one chance to stick it to him and all Bama fans for all the misery I had endured.  Thank goodness it finally worked out in my favor.  I do give my friend credit, he didn’t blame it on losing their top WRs or that they were missing their top DBs. He just tipped his hat so to speak.  

My point is, good hearted trash talk is part of college football.  It’s just part of the fun.  And my buddy has certainly gotten back on board bc he assures me that Bama will kick our butts this year if we are lucky enough to play them in the SEC CG.  I tell him he is delusional and Nick Sabin is past his prime! Obviously Nick Sabin still haunts me in my dreams, but I can’t tell him that.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

There's talkin' smack... And then there's just plain old being rude. 

I'm happy the fans who post here know the difference.  (It helps to have fantastic moderators, as we do!)

I love the Ducks, but am not delusional. When they win big again, and against the absolute best opponent, then I will be more willing to call out a win where one shouldn't be. 

I hope for zero injuries, and for everyone to have a very fun game. If they win, I'll eat crow.... And love it!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/24/2022 at 4:55 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If Oregon had just won a national championship the way Georgia did....I would be so full of myself that other fans would find me horrendous to be around.  So I think the restraint that 'Dawg fans have shown here says a ton about just how classy they are, and I am grateful they share with us.

They have every right to be proud, and I hope we get to that level someday as well.

I appreciate your kind words, and I also appreciate the warm welcome I’ve received from all Duck fans on this forum.  You guys are a class act as well!  I’ve really enjoyed learning about this Duck program from all involved.  Who knows what will happen on Sept 3, I’m on pins and needles.  We will see.  I plan to be a regular here regardless though, bc I am a Duck fan.  I just can’t be too dedicated on the 3rd of next month.   You’ll have to forgive me, I bleed UGA red and black.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/24/2022 at 4:19 PM, SoGaDawg said:

appreciate your kind words, and I also appreciate the warm welcome I’ve received from all Duck fans on this forum.  You guys are a class act as well!  I’ve really enjoyed learning about this Duck program from all involved.  Who knows what will happen on Sept 3, I’m on pins and needles.  We will see.  I plan to be a regular here regardless though, bc I am a Duck fan.  I just can’t be too dedicated on the 3rd of next month.   You’ll have to forgive me, I bleed UGA red and black.  

SoGaDawg's comment here exactly match my own sentiments about the Dawgs, Ducks, and the reception that I have received on this Board. I will be  hanging around throughout the season as well and actually had  a soft spot for the Ducks before ever  posting here. I  remember rooting so hard in Quarter 4 at the horseshoe last year. I also felt a bit ill over the Utah games as well. I  wish the 

Ducks nothing but success after this year's opening  game and would  love to have a rematch of that game for the natty.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/23/2022 at 8:24 PM, Krsmqn said:

Oregon doesn't measure up to Georgia. Period.

That's pretty harsh, don't you think?  Remember, Georgia 'lost' a lot of their starters to the NFL, 17 I hear.  That's a lot of new positions to fill.  Many feel the Ducks have the most talent in the Pac.  And they don't measure up period?  I guess we'll see on the 3rd.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Beware of the Ducks of September! We crossed the Rubicon last season at the 'shoe'. Now we're coming to 'hotlanta .'

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:19 AM, Mic said:

That's pretty harsh, don't you think?  Remember, Georgia 'lost' a lot of their starters to the NFL, 17 I hear.  That's a lot of new positions to fill.  Many feel the Ducks have the most talent in the Pac.  And they don't measure up period?  I guess we'll see on the 3rd.

Georgia's secondary is considered even better this year.  That is intact.  They lost defensive lineman and backers mostly. (5 first rounders) They lost 15 from both sides to NFL draft.  Georgia was able to do a "bunch" of substituting last year, so the starters this year are not rookies like most may think.  In fact the line talent is so good at Georgia, they lost two 5 star lineman commits this year already, because they knew they wouldn't start right away. 

If they do not measure up its in the offensive experience category.  New receivers, new running backs, new QB, new coach, etc...

• Great post! 1

On 8/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, I'm staying away from a mirror on this one, as I believe that I and many Oregon fans are quite delusional....and happily so!  My head tells me that we will be just short of being crushed by the Bulldogs, but my heart tells me...."we can do it!"

giphy.gif

It is not like plaing Nebraska in the 70s. There is no game we do not stand a chance in now.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, Pac10again said:

If they do not measure up its in the offensive experience category.  New receivers, new running backs, new QB, new coach, etc...

With all due respect: It's the statement you made earlier about the Ducks not measuring up period.  I guess I'm not sure where the Ducks don't measure up somewhere.  What's your guess on the final score?

On 8/25/2022 at 12:34 PM, Mic said:

With all due respect: It's the statement you made earlier about the Ducks not measuring up period.  I guess I'm not sure where the Ducks don't measure up somewhere.  What's your guess on the final score?

That was me who said that. I stand by it. 

On 8/25/2022 at 12:34 PM, Mic said:

I never said that. It was another writer.  I think they match up better than most teams do.  But no they are not on same level as Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State.  Not when depth is included.  My guess on score was Georgia 44-20.  24-3 at half.  Mostly because new coach, new receivers, rookie running backs, etc.  We are young and inexperienced with a new scheme and coaching staff.  And its gonna be in front of 100,000 rabid fans who want nothing short of total annihilation. 

If coached as well, as many think they will be, I would pick ducks to face USC in PAC-12 title game. If our line is what others say it is, and our backs are as good as many say, then I see no reason were not facing Utah with just one loss.  My concern is that we are one full season away, may two, depending on QB development , from beating Georgia at Georgia.  I am Still high on Ducks and hopeful on Lanning.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, Pac10again said:

My concern is that we are one full season away, may two, depending on QB development , from beating Georgia at Georgia.  I am Still high on Ducks and hopeful on Lanning.

This is the Ducks recruiting cycle peak with its talent on defense, much like Georgia was last year. 

Flowe, Sewell, Funa, Johnson all Top 80 guys will be done, along with Popo and Dorlus off the D Line and safety Bennett Williams. 

Thats 7 starters we will lose off the defense and while we have blue-chips to replace them... we don't have two Top 80 edge guys and a pair of five-star LB's to replace them with. We won't reload like UGA just did with elite dudes, we will have a drop off next year. 

Plus, we will lose 4 of the 5 offensive linemen, but we will roll out blue-chips to replace them. Connerly Jr., David Luli, Bram Walden, JPJ, Jarmillo and maybe Jones comes back. We will be ok next year on the OL, but we need to land some dudes in these next two classes!

So, getting to your point, this is the year we need elite QB play when we are at the cycle peak of talent on our roster.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, DazeNconfused said:

This is the Ducks recruiting cycle peak with its talent on defense, much like Georgia was last year. 

Flowe, Sewell, Funa, Johnson all Top 80 guys will be done, along with Popo and Dorlus off the D Line and safety Bennett Williams. 

Thats 7 starters we will lose off the defense and while we have blue-chips to replace them... we don't have two Top 80 edge guys and a pair of five-star LB's to replace them with. We won't reload like UGA just did with elite dudes, we will have a drop off next year. 

Plus, we will lose 4 of the 5 offensive linemen, but we will roll out blue-chips to replace them. Connerly Jr., David Luli, Bram Walden, JPJ, Jarmillo and maybe Jones comes back. We will be ok next year on the OL, but we need to land some dudes in these next two classes!

So, getting to your point, this is the year we need elite QB play when we are at the cycle peak of talent on our roster.

I cant really argue with you there.  I must admit I was think offensively only.  We will be losing a bunch on Defense now that you brought it up.  UGH!   I have been saying all along Bo is going to light up the Pac-10. (And I am bound to be right about something sooner or later).  A decent showing in Georgia is enough to keep us in NC talks.   And if I am  right about Bo a play off game or big 6 bowl is possible.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:44 PM, Pac10again said:

I cant really argue with you there.  I must admit I was think offensively only.  We will be losing a bunch on Defense now that you brought it up.  UGH!   I have been saying all along Bo is going to light up the Pac-10. (And I am bound to be right about something sooner or later).  A decent showing in Georgia is enough to keep us in NC talks.   And if I am  right about Bo a play off game or big 6 bowl is possible.

Well let's hope your right about Bo and he balls out. He doesn't have to be elite, just good and we could run the table after UGA. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/25/2022 at 2:11 PM, Pac10again said:

I never said that. It was another writer. 

My concern is that we are one full season away, may two, depending on QB development , from beating Georgia at Georgia.  I am Still high on Ducks and hopeful on Lanning.

To the first line above:  sorry, I thought it was you saying that.

To the second line, I agree.  Oregon has a couple, maybe three, years to go before they're back to where they were when they were competing in the first BCS title game.  These things take time. But they will still be competitive against the Bulldogs, imo.  I'm guessing the Ducks will cover the spread.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:33 PM, Pac10again said:

Georgia's secondary is considered even better this year.  That is intact.  They lost defensive lineman and backers mostly. (5 first rounders) They lost 15 from both sides to NFL draft.  Georgia was able to do a "bunch" of substituting last year, so the starters this year are not rookies like most may think.  In fact the line talent is so good at Georgia, they lost two 5 star lineman commits this year already, because they knew they wouldn't start right away. 

Good comment, and you nailed what we lost last year...defensive line and linebackers.   We have some dudes that played a good bit last year, but we lack some experience in the front seven.    We have some very talented kids who can play LB and DL, and while they got some good rotation time in relief last year, they still lack experience. This could be a higher scoring affair than Dawg fans have seen in a minute. You also noted that the secondary is better; yes, they will/should be much better.

The offense you may have missed; it looks to be loaded this year. Wide receivers are all experienced and talented with a couple of All SEC selections.

All started or played significantly.

Running Backs are experienced.  I just hope we have enough backs to stay fresh. Stetson Bennett  at QB is good to go. The offensive line may be in some mentions for Joe Moore if they hold up; have 2-3 on All SEC team. And I think we have a good and deep TE room. Reasonable and watchful Dawg fans will tell you the offense should be ok. 

We have some dudes that played a good bit last year, but we lack a good deal of experience in the front seven. The DB's should be good to go.  We have some very talented kids who can play LB and DL, and while they got some good rotation time in relief last year, they still lack experience. This could be a higher scoring affair than Dawg fans want. Hopefully those young LB's will find their feet.

As far as Dawg fans be delusional or not "respecting" Oregon? I think we are probably just like any other fan base ; we all have relatives we like to keep hid. Some us may be a little loud cause we get on the bourbon a bit hard, but we are generally harmless. We see UGA football for what it is at the moment. We might want the moment to last a bit longer.  But we respect Oregon, even if some won't admit it; we would be stupid to not respect you. personally I see last years losses to Utah as just that; last years losses. And I think while UGA fans are enjoying our title, we understand one very important thing...a new season starts Sept 3rd and that title was last year.  That "defending" thing is BS...this is a new season.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1