Steven A

Thank You, Jon Wilner

He predicts all the Ducks games.  Has us going 9 - 3 and 8 - 1, losing to Georgia, BYU and Cal.  I agree with Georgia.

But, his best comment is the ewe dub game.  Nov. 12: vs. Washington
Result: win
Record: 7-3/6-1
Comment: We suspect the Ducks, as currently composed, have too much athletic prowess for UW.

• Haha 8

9 -3 Is ok I guess. But it will account for worse TV ratings next year.

Edited by 1Ducker1

He always predicts that Oregon will lose to Stanford or Cal.   That's his deal.   It's like clockwork.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 8/23/2022 at 7:11 PM, Augduck said:

He always predicts that Oregon will lose to Stanford or Cal.   That's his deal.   It's like clockwork.  

Under Cristobal that seemed to happen a bit too often. I can't really blame him for that. 

Under Lanning I really feel the Ducks will come out firing on all cylinders from the get go. I really want to see the end of Oregon playing down to their opponents. 

Both Cal and Stanford should lose by 3 scores or more this year to Oregon. As they should have last year but didn't. 

• Thumbs Up 4

A good defensive coach has been our Kryptonite, especially under our no o era. We now have a good defensive coach, and I think a new chapter has begun. I can't wait to start reading the first chapter.

I have the book preordered and I have a guaranteed arrival date of next Saturday. I am sure I will be reading that first chapter over and over for years to come. I predict it will become a best seller!

On 8/24/2022 at 6:26 AM, Haywarduck said:

I am sure I will be reading that first chapter over and over

Hopefully, you won't be burning the first chapter tape.

• Let’s hope! 1

Huge Wilner fan. For many years he's been the best reporter in conference on Pac 12 business and operation. Highly sourced and reliable. John C now rivals him on those fronts. 

As for Wilner's sports predictions, he leans a little into Bay Area teams but nothing like the starry eyed sportswriters in Los Angeles. Have we seen even one story yet tackling the immense displeasure among UCLA alumni about the team's attempted escape to blizzard country? I live here. Waiting.

On 8/23/2022 at 7:11 PM, Augduck said:

And he's right during basketball season 🥸

On 8/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, Drex Heikes said:

Huge Wilner fan. For many years he's been the best reporter in conference on Pac 12 business and operation. Highly sourced and reliable. John C now rivals him on those fronts. 

As for Wilner's sports predictions, he leans a little into Bay Area teams but nothing like the starry eyed sportswriters in Los Angeles. Have we seen even one story yet tackling the immense displeasure among UCLA alumni about the team's attempted escape to blizzard country? I live here. Waiting.

I am mixed on Wilner.   There are some aspects of his reporting that are good and others that are weak. 

His deal with Oregon goes back to the Chip days when at one P12 media day he asked Chip a really, really dumb question and well, we all know how Chip disliked that sort of thing and he dissed Wilner.   Jon never moved on from that.   He referred to Chip as the Darth Vader of the P12 and oh boy, did Jon love the l'affaire de Willy Lyles.   I believe at one point he predicted the death penalty for Oregon as a result of that dalliance. 

The nadir for Jon was the game at Stanford when Andrew Luck was in the running for the Heisman and Oregon was playing them on the farm.   The Ducks came out in the first half and were very lack luster and based on accounts from various players Chip 'lit them up' at halftime and that included tipping over a table in the locker room.   The Ducks came out on fire in the second half and won.   Wilner never got over that because he predicted a blood bath for Oregon with Stanford running all over them.

Every year when the Ducks make their annual pilgrimage to the Bay Area Jon sees a big win for either Cal or Stanford.

Oregon does not lose to Cal this year.

Why would a more talented Oregon team lose to a team they beat last year?  I don’t get it.

By the end of October the wrinkles will be ironed out from the coaching change and the Ducks will be rolling.  They may drop an early season game besides Georgia, but they have everything in place to make a run to Vegas.  

Wish the Utah game was in late September!