NJDuck

Trojans Wire: 'We Can Debate USC vs Utah, But Trojans Are Clearly Better Than Oregon'

Of course this is coming from TrojansWire.  Let's start a discussion on Oregon vs USC, what are your thoughts?  I think their whole premise is based on Caleb Williams vs Bo Nix.is why USC is better.  Even though they concede Oregon has a better defense, probably has a little more depth.

For me our defensive front seven against their OL and our OL vs their defensive front seven, Oregon wins out in the trenches.  We establish the run, from there will open up opportunities with our talented playmakers to score points.  Our defense will create havoc, give our offense advantages.

TROJANSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

We gave @MarkRogersTV a very simple explanation at the @VoiceOfCFB on why USC must be ranked ahead of Oregon. Let’s not overthink this.

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

I think Oregon's defense destroys the Trojans.  I recognize what they've done at the skill positions on offense, I really do. From Williams, to Addison to Dye...they absolutely loaded up. However, all of that firepower means NOTHING if you don't have an offensive line. They have one player on the line...one.

However, every team in the PAC knows this and I fully expect Williams to be treated like a piñata on game days. You CANNOT sit back in base defense and expect to beat them. They'll be too good...if it were me I'd blitz ALL NIGHT LONG. Stunts, twists, corners and safeties blitzing. Williams would have to pick himself up off the dirt EVERY SINGLE PLAY! And everyone on all of these teams knows loads more than I do, and I expect they'll act accordingly. 

I'd be willing to bet the house that Caleb Williams doesn't make it through the season...

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

It is true that usc was good at one time but Pete C now resides in Seattle. 

• Haha 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Wrathis, blitz all night long!. Let havoc rain!  Blitz from every angle!

• Cool 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is the only quote out of that article that made any sense by Matt le blah 

“I don’t get it.”

no you don’t marry, as you freely admit the talent is better at Oregon and somehow think Caleb Williams is some NFL ready player and Bo nix is terrible? Ridiculous. 

USC is still rebuilding from a decade or more of decay.

The lines are suspect and it’s no given that either the Ducks or Trojans will be cohesive and dominant under first year coaching staffs. 

my money is on the Ducks. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

On 8/25/2022 at 6:16 AM, Wrathis said:

I think Oregon's defense destroys the Trojans.

I think that is very true this year, and I do hope we face them in the conference championship.  A good beat-down of USC will prevent many of these dumb articles in the future.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/25/2022 at 6:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A good beat-down of USC will prevent many of these dumb articles in the future.

It hasn't stopped them for the past fifteen years.  U$C could be 0-12 and the next recruiting class will make them NC contenders.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

By the fourth quarter their defensive front seven is going to gassed!  USC has no depth up front.   We win pulling away in the fourth quarter!  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

29-50. Thats the comparison of 4 star or higher recruits for U$C and Oregon. U$C 29 in the last 4 years and Oregon has a whopping 50. Some have left, but thats not the point. Some have come through the Portal, but that's not the point either. The overall team quality of players is astounding. CW is an amazing player and I expect nothing less this year. Corey Freman should be an instant disruptor one would expect. But, let's be real clear, U$C has another year or two to gain their footing with personnel.

U$C will get theirs, but not this year. It's Utah's to lose if we are going to take off the colored glasses. To say Oregon is basically a tier down is incredible homerism at it's worst. 

It's not 2005 U$C, it's 2022. You had a Losing year last year. Let's take a breather and just get you bowl eligible.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

I can only think of two school fan bases in the country that could go 4-8, fire their coach and claim they’re ready for the Natty the next year.

And they both reside at opposite ends of the I 5.

• Haha 6
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Sounds like the guy that told me UCLA and USC were the power 2, and they'd get a bid to the B1G  over Oregon even if they were 0-12. They're a

t.v. market until they prove other wise.

• Applause 1

Sept 24, Corvalis Or --mark the date.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:37 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Sept 24, Corvalis Or --mark the date.

U$C @ OSU Beavers, I usually root for the beaver except when they play our beloved Ducks.  I will continue to root for all U$C opponents.

• Thumbs Up 7

Caleb Williams will probably be the best qb on the field, but it will hard to show it when he is laying on his back, and then on the sideline.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It speaks volumes when you have to write an article saying you're better than a team that's owned you before the season starts.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1

Just more bulletin board material in case they somehow make it to the Conference Championship Game.  

That was a good one Kamikaze Kid!  🙂 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mean things have changed a bit... and USC is on the upswing but they still haven't fixed some of their major problems. This was written February of 2021  but I still feel it is a bit relevant. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon and USC seem primed to be the top two schools in the Pac-12. Both have top ten recruiting classes for the 2021 recruiting...

USC fans are just loving the idea they have killed Oregon by going to the B1G. Granted, that is a pretty sad and pathetic way to defeat a rival. But what else is new with the University of Spoiled Children? 

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 7:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

Caleb Williams will probably be the best qb on the field, but it will hard to show it when he is laying on his back, and then on the sideline.

Remember, last year some young hot-shot QB from OSU was the best on the field (in fact one of the best in the USA) and it didn't seem to matter much 

• Mic drop 1

Wow.  If this guy is the measuring stick for being a Trojans Wire contributor, our local middle school is loaded with current candidates.  Was he drunk?  There is really nothing useful in this 30 sec. read of useless word-vomit.

The guy puts Celeb Williams on a pedestal, makes four weak food comparisons, and then slightly takes his foot off the accelerator by conceding that Box Nix could exceed expectations (“Maybe that will happen”), and sheepishly concludes with a proposition to lay a few $20’s on the game. 

So, let’s take a quick look at the Grand Canyonesque disparity in just a few key 2021 passing stats between the two of them.   

Caleb – 174.1 yds./game, 64.5% completion, 211 attempts – 4 Int’s

Bo – 229.4 yds./game, 61.0% completion, 323 attempts – 3 Int’s

Of course, I cherry-picked a couple categories but with the obvious chasm between the playing abilities of Lord Williams, Duke of Los Angles, and Peasant Boy Bo, I would hope to see sizable gaps in ANY statistical category that favor LA’s knight in shining armor.  By the way, what’s the curve for putting up stats against SEC competition vs. doing it in a conference where defense is optional for a few teams? 

Me personally, I like what Wonder Boy did his last 3 regular season games (Baylor, ISU, and Ok. St.) of ’21 vs. adequate opponents.  Come get some of this stat line, Tommy Trojan.

CW went 37 of 75 (49%), 4 TD’s & 3 Pics, 160.3 yds./game, with an astonishing QBR of 63.7.  Gosh guys, he’s so good he threw the ball with his left hand in these games just to make things fair! 

I’m not suggesting the kid is not good.  He was the 2nd ranked QB coming out of high school and does show moments of solid to excellent QB play.  To me there’s just not enough consistency in his game to break-out the anointing oils. 

As for Matt Zemek’s proposition of laying a few $20’s, I’ll make it a few $50’s with one caveat.  MZ comments on finishing behind Oregon, so I assume he’s alluding to the regular season.  That’s not good enough.  My wager would be on the two playing head-to-head in the conference championship.  If that were to happen, then I would say Bo exceeded expectations, and with help of his Duck cohorts, they will deliver well-deserved Trojan beatdown. 

MZ – thanks for giving me a midday work break, and I look forward to scanning your next release of drunken musings from a shameless Trojan. 

• Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 3
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

Blitzing and booing is what USC needs to face at every road game this season, nonstop. They won't get booed at home, SnoopDogg will just stop driving the bandwagon and the Coliseum will look like Autzen, 1972.

A great point was made earlier, Oregon doesn't write articles about how much better they are than USC and UW, it's Scoreboard, baby. Riley is the big shiny jewel that Cowherd can lap up, Lanning is boring, all he did was lead a historic defense to a Natty. Every time that Williams gets knocked down and that Transfer RB gets stood up, a bell will ring, and we can smile.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Like Dan Lanning said in a past interview... "this isn't 7 on 7 football."

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:33 AM, David Marsh said:

USC fans are just loving the idea they have killed Oregon by going to the B1G. Granted, that is a pretty sad and pathetic way to defeat a rival. But what else is new with the University of Spoiled Children?

Hypothetically Oregon gets invitation to join the Big Ten. The fun part is watching USC fans faces when they hear that Oregon receives an invitation to join the Big 10.  😱!!!

I like Nate Silver's analysis on the subject "Where Should the Big Ten Expand Next? (Posted in the FishDuck Feed.)  Oregon overall is sitting in the Tier 1 group.  Interesting read.

FIVETHIRTYEIGHT.COM

Which schools should the Big Ten poach next?

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

IN THEIR DREAMS 🤣

Edited by Duck 1972

USC may be fielding the best passing attack in all of college football.  Plus they have one of the top running back duo's.  If they develop a scheme like Washington State did under leach they will be unstoppable.  Leach did not have Alabama linemen and they stomped us a few times.   USC has the receivers to beat anyone heads up.  Quick slants and passes to the flats, a missed tackle later and its see you...

I agree the O line is USC's weak link on offense.  But they don't need to throw 50 yard bombs to score 40 points per game.  All the line has to do is hold for 2-3 seconds.  Crazy as this may sound, if Leach were coaching them this year, I would bet we see USC in Pac-10 title game not Utah.

Edited by Pac10again

On 8/25/2022 at 7:21 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I can only think of two school fan bases in the country that could go 4-8, fire their coach and claim they’re ready for the Natty the next year.

And they both reside at opposite ends of the I 5.

You forgot Notre Dame. 😏

As a USC/Oregon fan......don't fall for it......this is not 2006. 

Oregon is definitely the superior team. 

USC is going to have a hard time beating Stanford, UCLA, Oregon St and Utah much less Oregon

They are not being rationale. 

• Cool 1

One thing is for sure. usc has not won a game yet this year.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kudos to those creating posts with titles that grab your attention, including the one that kicked-off this thread.  No way in he** I was bypassing this one, but also look at these four (just an example) in a row.  

image.thumb.png.f1afd4078c29f41fb04b1d829e7c232e.png

I can't imagine being a Duck fan and not taking a few mins. to give these topics a read.

We've go Delusional Fan Bases, USC being wack-a-doodle (shocker), NINE DAYS BEFORE FOOTBALL, and throw in a touch of Dilly.  This is awesome!

My hats off to you folks as your creativity far exceeds mine.  

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 8/25/2022 at 6:03 AM, NJDuck said:

Of course this is coming from TrojansWire.  Let's start a discussion on Oregon vs USC, what are your thoughts?  I think their whole premise is based on Caleb Williams vs Bo Nix.is why USC is better.  Even though they concede Oregon has a better defense...

I've got a novel idea: Let's play the game who see who beats whom.  Just a thought, Trojans.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 12:02 PM, Just Ducky said:

One thing is for sure. usc has not won a game yet this year.

Yes. But, USC fans see this as being undefeated!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:48 PM, DUCati855 said:

Yes. But, USC fans see this as being undefeated!

Yes. It’s their championship trophy until someone takes it away!  

• Like 1

On 8/25/2022 at 2:32 PM, cartm25 said:

My goodness! I'll say "cherry picking" 🙂

Here's a sizeable gap (just TDs):

Caleb Williams

- 21 TDs with 4 INTs in 8 games on 211 attempts. If extrapolated (dubious, at best, for predicting) over the entire year (assumed 13 games), key stats:  34 TDs with 7 INTs

- CW threw a TD pass every 10 attempts with an approximate 4.9 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

Bo Nix

- 11 TDs with 3 INTs in 10 games on 323 attempts. If extrapolated (dubious, at best, for predicting) over the entire year (assumed 13 games), key stats:  14 TDs with 4 INTs

- BN threw a TD pass every 29 attempts with an approximate 3.5 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

Now, one might argue that Caleb Williams' performance is a product of Lincoln Riley's offense . . . which should not be any less worrisome to the Ducks.

IMO, the best argument is that Bo Nix played reasonably well against much tougher competition. One four-game stretch in 2021 included:  Georgia (#2), Arkansas (#17), Ole Miss (#10), and TA&M (#14).

I tend to think USC will be much better than some here on the OBD are predicting. Remember what Chip Kelly did with lesser talent. Lincoln Riley is arguably the best offensive mind in CF right now, and that alone, can animate an entire team to play with more passion and excitement . . . we saw the Ducks do it in the Chip Kelly era.

One of the best posts I've ever read! 

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:13 AM, Pac10again said:

If they develop a scheme like Washington State did under leach they will be unstoppable.  Leach did not have Alabama linemen and they stomped us a few times.

Leach never won a pac-12 championship and only a couple bowl games. 

I wouldn't call him unstoppable. 

In that four year span of Washington state beating Oregon it comes at a pretty big low point for Oregon. 

2015 - Vernon Adams is injured and if Oregon could have passed the ball it would have been a win. Freeman had a big game, but Oregon was one dimensional. 

2016 - the 2106 defense was horrid... Enough said there.

2017 - No Herbert, can't pass the ball so another run heavy game that can't hang in a shoot out. 

2018 - this one was just bad. Oregon wasn't prepared to play.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Guest willville

Bull crap. Enough said!

On 8/25/2022 at 6:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A good beat-down of USC will prevent many of these dumb articles in the future.

I can't wait until the LA sports media starts writing about how amazing USC is in the BIG and forgets to even mention Ohio State.  They must put something in the water in LA that makes the writers delusional.

I really think USC is going to be Nebraska part deux for the Big.  Great we added some history but when are you guys going to win games again?

Hope all those local TV ads are worth every penny for them.  

I honestly doubt USCs defense will get them anywhere near the PAC championship, it's most likely Utah vs Oregon.  Then again since it's now based on ratings an overated USC could edge out a 2 or 3 loss Utah and we could face them.

If we do see them I would expect DL to put on a spectacle as a "see ya" statement for the BCS selection.

On 8/25/2022 at 2:32 PM, cartm25 said:

I tend to think USC will be much better than some here on the OBD are predicting. Remember what Chip Kelly did with lesser talent. Lincoln Riley is arguably the best offensive mind in CF right now, and that alone, can animate an entire team to play with more passion and excitement . . . we saw the Ducks do it in the Chip Kelly era.

They are going to put points up but look for some 48-45 types of Big 12 games, the SC defense was poor last year and it's not going to turn on a dime this year.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oregon won 10 games last year in spite of Mariø. Drawing a conclusion on the strength of Oregon football based on last years results is a grave error.

Everybody that has any clue about football knows it. Watching games last year was almost unbearable. I know what I saw and it didn't look right every week.

Mariø Cristøbal is a horrible head football coach, Miami fan will find out soon just how bad Mariø is. Prove me wrong.

Horrendous game day coaching, injuries, poor player development, quiting on your team with 2 regular season games remaining. All of this lands on Mariø's shoulders.

Yet the raw talent of Duck players still won 10 games. If Lanning is even slightly better that that other guy, Oregon in at least headed to a NY6. 

I hear a lot of people point to the Utah losses as doom for Oregon's hopes. All of it, every single shred lands on Mariø. Drives me crazy when people use those losses to prop up their argument. It's crap.

Oregon is stacked and if Lanning is who Dawg fan says he is, who Duck fan hopes he is... watch out. I have huge hopes for this season. Ducks are going to wreak a lot of teams and polls. It starts next Saturday. 

Trojan Man can kick rocks. They will never be good enough to meet Oregon on the field in Vegas this year.

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/25/2022 at 5:32 PM, cartm25 said:

21 TDs with 4 INTs in 8 games on 211 attempts. If extrapolated (dubious, at best, for predicting) over the entire year (assumed 13 games), key stats:  34 TDs with 7 INTs

- CW threw a TD pass every 10 attempts with an approximate 4.9 to 1 TD to INT ratio.

Yes, I’ll give you the nod that he amassed decent numbers while running the gauntlet of Western Carolina, K-State, Texas (still can’t play defense), TCU, Kansas, and Texas-Tech.  That looks even worse digitally than it sounds verbally.  Lol.    

But…you can’t ignore what happened against Top 20 (2 game sample), in conference, competition.  I watched both those games (loses), and was surprised that Williams' stat lines were as good as they were.  3TD's and 2 Pics while completing a frog's hair over 50 percent (50.7%) of his passes.  Defenses turned the heat up and the young man (like most) panicked.

The reality is we can sit hear and pull fly crap sized offensive statistics out of pepper all day, but we got to remember these QB's are going to line-up against someone on the other side of the ball.  Given that Captain Obvious statement, when comparing UO to USC, who's defensive unit do you believe will provide more resistance to opposing offenses?  At the end of the day, the answer to that question may play the biggest role in deciding the conference pecking order, and I haven't heard that Williams and/or Nix are being considered for two-way duty.  

That last paragraph was for me because I occasionally neglect the fact that offenses have to work against an opposing force.     

• Thumbs Up 3

Once in the BIG, I don’t expect SC to put up 40+ scores. I see them running into the same problem UO had with Stanford. 

How many times did we see the tree run for four yards, four yards three yards, rinse and repeat down the field. Drives lasting five to six minutes a pop. They just joined the Stanford conference and Buckeye can do that and still throw for 350+.

Ironically, SC would be more suited to dominate the Big 12. Reality doesn’t sell newspapers in La La land.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 11:13 AM, Pac10again said:

USC may be fielding the best passing attack in all of college football.  Plus they have one of the top running back duo's.  If they develop a scheme like Washington State did under leach they will be unstoppable.  Leach did not have Alabama linemen and they stomped us a few times.   USC has the receivers to beat anyone heads up.  Quick slants and passes to the flats, a missed tackle later and its see you...

I agree the O line is USC's weak link on offense.  But they don't need to throw 50 yard bombs to score 40 points per game.  All the line has to do is hold for 2-3 seconds.  Crazy as this may sound, if Leach were coaching them this year, I would bet we see USC in Pac-10 title game not Utah.

Time will tell.

On 8/25/2022 at 3:30 PM, David Marsh said:

Leach never won a pac-12 championship and only a couple bowl games. 

I wouldn't call him unstoppable. 

In that four year span of Washington state beating Oregon it comes at a pretty big low point for Oregon. 

2015 - Vernon Adams is injured and if Oregon could have passed the ball it would have been a win. Freeman had a big game, but Oregon was one dimensional. 

2016 - the 2106 defense was horrid... Enough said there.

2017 - No Herbert, can't pass the ball so another run heavy game that can't hang in a shoot out. 

2018 - this one was just bad. Oregon wasn't prepared to play.

Edited by Pac10again
  • Applause 1

On 8/25/2022 at 9:36 AM, Jester said:

CW went 37 of 75 (49%), 4 TD’s & 3 Pics, 160.3 yds./game, with an astonishing QBR of 63.7. 

This!!

I am a broken record, but I watched these games…

Riley, Williams, and OK looked like whiners compensating for their ineptitude by accusing the refs, the opponents, the voters, and everyone else of being unfair. 

There is no there there.

USC managed to find the perfect HC/QB pair to fit into its all-hat-no-cattle culture.

I look fwd to Riley/CW/USC being exposed as pac-12 mediocrity for the next 2 seasons.

I am a 3rd-generation Duck, and I was brought up to cheer for the Ducks first and the Pac second. So I held my nose and cheered for Darnold to beat Penn in the Rose Bowl. Thank goodness I never have to do that again!!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/25/2022 at 1:51 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Yes. It’s their championship trophy until someone takes it away!  

Then they had better win the Conference title this year because when they go to the Big 10 they'll be a looooooog time winning another.

Matt Zemek from Trojans Wire has the writing aptitude of a high-school sophomore. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a high-school sophomore.

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, cartm25 said:

I would hope to see sizable gaps in ANY statistical category that favor LA’s knight in shining armor."

This is what happens when Engineers try to be writers and use simple words line "ANY" instead of using the intended word - "EVERY"It's all good though, Cartm25.

I do agree with your take on Riley.  I would have been thrilled to have him in Eugene, and I think in short order he will make that team very formidable.

I'm actually one of the not-so-popular posters when it comes to predicting the Ducks record this season as I see them at 8-4.  Now, if the Ducks prove me wrong and make it to the conference championship, I would wager that they would win.  Getting to that point would be confirmation that the DL hire and Bo Nix (or whoever) experiment was a success. 

Lot of folks on this board see it that way, and I hope they are right.    

On 8/25/2022 at 9:25 PM, Alan said:

Matt Zemek from Trojans Wire has the writing aptitude of a high-school sophomore. It wouldn't surprise me if he was a high-school sophomore.

image.jpeg.e7817d26afdb79b62c85f63baa798138.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

Can't wait for all the prima dona 5 stars playing for a prima dona coach to build a team. Hah. Only 22 positions and a lot of unhappy players.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1