Charles Fischer

The Choice is Pretty Simple to Me About Oregon's Future...

If you look at the two articles in this thread, the disparity between the "Big-2" conferences versus the rest is going to be so large that Oregon really only has two choices, IMHO.  Get into the B1G and be more relevant within the "Big-2" conferences, or stay in the Pac-12 and accept that you must cut most sports later.  

Oregon will need to spend the same amount on football as the big-boys, thus coming from a smaller revenue pie--sports will have to be cut, in my view.  (19 to 7 sports eventually is my prediction if we stay in the Pac-12)  So, for me to continue to watch Our Beloved Diamond Ducks...I have to root for an invitation to the B1G and be the final straw that breaks the Pac-12 back.

I am not wild about either choice, but the old days are not coming back.

Oregon Pitcher_Deborah Mundorff of GoDucks.com.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If Charles is correct, what a tragedy.  TV is destroying college sports.  The ones who will be hurt the most are minorities who are the largest recipient of athletic scholarships.  If Charles is correct the majority of D1 schools playing football will diminish by most likely at least 60 and probably more schools.  

Don't see any way to stay relevant and have a shot at the CFP than to join the B1G.  I don't like it much, but the writing is on the wall.  P12 toast, 4 conferences (for now), Power 2.

Slight disagreement with Sir Charles, I don't I think the other sports go away but they're certainly going to have to take some hits to survive.

Edited by noDucknewby

If you get the invite to the BIG, you have to take it I guess.  There is not really a choice IMO if you want to stay relevant.

However, it just feels like a terrible match. The thought of having to go to NJ to play Rutgers in a conference game in October is just flat out gross. 

I would prefer to stay in the Pac, but I understand why we need to go if we get the offer.  

In the end....we want to sit at the "Adults" dining table at Thanksgiving, and not at the card table for kids.  I think this is probably the basis of Phil's feelings?

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If the B1G goes to 20 teams, I'm not sure how you do the scheduling.  Having two divisions, play your other 9 teams and then in the conference championship game play the other conference winner?  Trying to play every other conference member isn't a reasonable goal.  If the B1G does bring in the 4 additional Pac 12 schools, the B1G Ten conferences would be:

USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.

Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, MSU, Michigan, tOSU, Penn St., Rutgers, Maryland.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:12 PM, Tandaian said:

If the B1G goes to 20 teams, I'm not sure how you do the scheduling.  Having two divisions, play your other 9 teams and then in the conference championship game play the other conference winner?  Trying to play every other conference member isn't a reasonable goal.  If the B1G does bring in the 4 additional Pac 12 schools, the B1G Ten conferences would be:

USC, UCLA, Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Cal, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa and Wisconsin.

Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Indiana, MSU, Michigan, tOSU, Penn St., Rutgers, Maryland.

I think that's the easy part.  Leave the current 7-team divisions as is and add a Pacific Division with 6 teams.  Play everybody in your division and 2 or 3 crossover games.  Throw in an annual rivalry game and 2-3 non-conference games and it should work great.

The hard part to me would be how to decide who plays for the conference championship.  Top 2?  Top 2 division winners?  4-team playoff?

Edited by noDucknewby

On 8/26/2022 at 2:12 PM, noDucknewby said:

The hard part to me would be how to decide who plays for the conference championship.  Top 2?  Top 2 division winners?  4-team playoff?

They are already talking about "Conference Semi-Final" games before a conference championship, as I guess the TV revenue would go through the roof.

Mr. FishDuck

If we must become a part of the machine to survive, then a conference with three 7-team divisions sounds good to me: the western division could be mostly former Pac-12 teams (wouldn't that just chap USC's hide?). Conference championships would be a four team playoff with the division winners and the non-division winner with the best record.