FishDuck Article

Oregon Ducks Football: No Half-Measure in 2022

Oregon Ducks football has the opportunity to become a top-five program in the nation. In the past decade, Our Beloved Ducks football program has produced numerous top-ten picks in the NFL Draft, battled for recruiting supremacy on a national stage, and even molded a Heisman trophy winner (who will be an honorary captain next week, I might add). But we ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon Ducks football has the opportunity to become a top-five program in the nation. In the past decade, Our Beloved Ducks football...
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Great article Alex. I am intimately aware of the "half measure" philosophy. It's been burned into my skull for the past 27 years.

Oregon has the "Dudes" on this team at almost every position. Maybe not the depth of the Ga or Bamas of the world. But definitely enough to make a solid run at the CFP this year. Get into the CFP and anything is possible.

I put Duck failure (I say failure because I know what I saw) over the past years squarely on MC and his staff. I am not shy about my opinion of MC. I do credit him for the outstanding recruiting. He deserves that.

Brings me to another thing that has been burned into my skull the past 27 years. "Be careful of your teachers". I am hoping that the new staff knows what good teaching is. MC did not.

Lanning and his staff seem to put "teaching" at the top of their priorities.  At every level, from football to how you respond to everyday life, this staff has constantly talked about being a teacher of young men.

There are two types of people in the world. Those that show you what to do and those that show you what not to do. Both are equally important. I and hoping Lanning is one that shows you what to do.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great stuff Alex, but when you put Slick and Mario on the list of coaches who put the foundation on Oregon, I have to comment. Brooks, Bellotti and Chip Kelly put the foundation in, built the walls and put the roof on this program. Slick and Mario just saw what was here and got some excellent student athletes to realize what an awesome program the others had built.

We are still waiting for somebody to actually build on what was created. What was built was an exciting, innovative program we are again seeing at least appreciated with some of the great players, coaches and Phil Knight attending practices. 

We will know if no half measures are being used once the scoreboard lights up like it use too. We will also see a team execute with passion and intelligence, which will again extend to the sideline.

Lastly I think it is time to stop kicking Anthony Brown. The young man was a warrior for the Oregon Program. He was being led by somebody who was more like the Japanese in the Battle of Midway. A foreign general who was ill prepared to win. We got rid of our Yamamoto and we shouldn't blame those who bravely fought for our program.

I do agree by the time Utah shows up the program should be up and running like a champ. Until then and through that game we should continue to believe in what Lanning is working to create, actually build on, The Oregon Program, and all it stands for.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

This Duck season has real potential. Perhaps more physical measurable potential than any Duck team previously. 

I expect much much more from this team than last years. Multiple wideouts over 6’3” with wheels. 5 talented running backs. Two speedy slot guys. Tall athletic TEs all behind a veteran line. 

On defense the D line is stacked as deep as it ever been. The LB group has both size and speed. Our DBs all have length snd speed and our top three CBs are over 6’ with top end speed. Safeties are tough and physical. 

There are no longer glowing holes on the Oregon roster outside of a big unknown at QB. I’m cautiously optimistic there with BO having experience and TT talented humble and working hard with butters in the wings. 

Utah beat the Ducks because Mario couldn’t fire up the team to beat a lesser roster. Mario had one foot out the door and clearly didn’t create the same cohesiveness being instilled presently. 

This season has all the makings of a Cinderella story. New coach opening against the natty champs and his former team, combined with the emotionally cohesive motivation of coaches and the untimely death of a beloved selfless teammate who sadly helps to bond and motivate others to honor his memory. And by all accounts his memory is special and felt by a great many on the team. He’s in peoples minds on the field in the weight room and in their hearts. Look at what the deaths of Utah players did to/for them. It wasn’t insignificant snd was mentioned often. 

I sense the Ducks come out hot fast and loose and shock the nation with a big Road win in ATL and are top 5 after beating BYU at home. If those things happen this Duck team will like previous Duck teams control it’s destiny. 

The extra icing on the cake is Mariota having a big year in ATL while Georgia Rolls and possibly facing the Ducks again in the Natty. 

If they are writing storylines this Duck team might make a pretty good one if they handle their business.

Think we’re recruiting well now?

Pull this scenario off and the southern kids gonna start committing more often. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Amen Alex, as I agree completely.  We have the talent, and our upside is only limited by the coaching and the willingness to go-for-it, and achieve our potential.  No half-measures please!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/26/2022 at 5:28 AM, Log Haulin said:

Brings me to another thing that has been burned into my skull the past 27 years. "Be careful of your teachers". I am hoping that the new staff knows what good teaching is. MC did not.

Would you care to explain this to us?  

We all had head-scratching moments throughout the last few seasons regarding game-time decisions by MC but I'd like to learn why you feel he wasn't a good teacher.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Utah beat the Ducks because Mario couldn’t fire up the team to beat a lesser roster. 

I think you might be underestimating Utah's talent.  

That said, where Utah beat the Ducks was thru better scheming and fully understanding how to exploit weaknesses. They were perfectly built and structured to neutralize anything Oregon was schemed to do on offense but they needed high caliber talent to do it.  In my opinion. 

On 8/26/2022 at 6:01 AM, Haywarduck said:

Lastly I think it is time to stop kicking Anthony Brown.

I agree with this completely. The kid was a class act every minute he was a Duck. Watching it frustrated us, imagine how it felt to go out there play after play? Yet after every game he was a leader as much as were Marcus or Justin, never came close to throwing anybody under the bus, and he heard the booing. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Agree with HD and 30D. Mario started out like a full measure, but end up a half - if that.  All you have to do is look at what AB is doing now to understand how he was as under-utilized as Justin.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:55 AM, Mic said:

We all had head-scratching moments throughout the last few seasons regarding game-time decisions by MC but I'd like to learn why you feel he wasn't a good teacher.

I think great teaching can be summed up with Lannings, 'so what, now what?, or my favorites 'that is a terrible idea, what time?'

Our previous staff seemed to be of the ilk of saying never do that, and never deviate from a very set amount of proven ideas.

I am off to go do something most people would think is a terrible idea, or maybe say, grow up, nope! I take Friday afternoons off to do something crazy, and try and stay young.

All these hype and expectations are fun, but meaningless until next Saturday evening.    On paper we have a great team, but didn't it feel the same last 2 years pre-season?   We do need to cut Lanning some slack and try to avoid snap judgments like many of us levied on AB last season.   

What a fun but again nerve-racking time to be an OBD fan!   I wonder if it's like this be a Bama or tOSU fan?   😀

On 8/26/2022 at 1:08 PM, DuckFan93 said:

All these hype and expectations are fun, but meaningless until next Saturday evening.    On paper we have a great team, but didn't it feel the same last 2 years pre-season?   We do need to cut Lanning some slack and try to avoid snap judgments like many of us levied on AB last season.   

What a fun but again nerve-racking time to be an OBD fan!   I wonder if it's like this be a Bama or tOSU fan?   😀

A fun time indeed! 

I almost think it would be less fun to be an Alabama fan, though. I'm not sure if I'd enjoy football as much with an almost guranteed playoff contention every season as a fan. Sure as heck would as a coach, though.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:40 AM, Vandownbytheriverduck said:

Pull this scenario off and the southern kids gonna start committing more often. 

This is where I hope Lanning can really excel, as you said, a potential "Cinderella Story" indeed.

I love the storylines comment as well. Couldn't imagine a better comeback story for our Ducks in the ATL

On 8/26/2022 at 7:55 AM, Mic said:

Sure...

I have given many examples for months now on OBDF but will give a few more.

Mariø's teams were highly undisciplined. MC is the high water mark on this one and he failed miserable.

Unsportsmanlike called at key moments. Third down efficiency on defense was ranked near the bottom of all of college football. Redzone was also some of the worst in college football. 

These examples are discipline related 100%. On top of that, the incident with Hudson to close the half of AZ game shows MC himself lacks self discipline.

Discipline in your craft is a direct reflection of your ability to lead and teach. Huge fail on MC's part. I have a thousand more examples. 

Mariø failed to teach his players to be better across  the board. You only have to look at Herbert and Brown, what they are doing in NFL, to confirm this.

This is just my opinion,  you can agree or disagree. I make no apologies for it. Every claim I have made here and on previous post have not been disputed.

I am not a fan. In my mind he hurt the Duck brand then quit on them mid season. Take it with a grain of salt, it's just one mans opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, Log Haulin said:

Unsportsmanlike called at key moments. Third down efficiency on defense was ranked near the bottom of all of college football. Redzone was also some of the worst in college football. 

These examples are discipline related 100%. On top of that, the incident with Hudson to close the half of AZ game shows MC himself lacks self discipline.

Discipline in your craft is a direct reflection of your ability to lead and teach. Huge fail on MC's part. I have a thousand more examples. 

Mariø failed to teach his players to be better across  the board. You only have to look at Herbert and Brown, what they are doing in NFL, to confirm this.

Great answer but I'll challenge you on:

1) 3rd down efficiency.  That's not teaching, that's the in-game decision making we all talked about throughout the season,  

2) Teaching Brown & Herbert to be better across the board.  It seems more like he didn't use them the way he should have or, in Herbert's case, kept him on a leash he didn't need.  Not teaching.  Brown & Herbert obviously left the university knowing very well how to play QB in the NFL.

But you gave a reasonable and passionate answer so I gave you my thumb's up. MC's tenure at Miami ought to be an interesting one to see if they respond the same way Oregon did under his leadership.

On 8/26/2022 at 4:01 PM, Mic said:

Great answer but I'll challenge you on:

1) 3rd down efficiency.  That's not teaching, that's the in-game decision making we all talked about throughout the season,  

2) Teaching Brown & Herbert to be better across the board.  It seems more like he didn't use them the way he should have or, in Herbert's case, kept him on a leash he didn't need.  Not teaching.  Brown & Herbert obviously left the university knowing very well how to play QB in the NFL.

But you gave a reasonable and passionate answer so I gave you my thumb's up. MC's tenure at Miami ought to be an interesting one to see if they respond the same way Oregon did under his leadership.

Fair enough. We disagree on definition. 

• Thumbs Up 1