Charles Fischer

Charles's Conspiracy: Is Mase Funa the Reason for the Secrecy?

OK...I have to get to work, but my mind is pondering all of the secrecy stuff, and then I starting thinking about many of the key players on the team, and the profiles that the new defense requires that I've learned about and will cover in next Thursday's analysis.

The "Jack" position requires an almost freak athlete, and it is hard to get the right one.  This player who is either on the LOS or on a slight overhang off the LOS must be able to set the edge, but also be superb in pass coverage as he will be called upon to cover the short-flat for a Cover Two in some defensive play-calls, or the hook area when an ILB blitzes.

And yet he has to be a superb pass-rusher as well for many blitzes.

DJ Johnson would be great at setting the edge, and pass-rushing.  Coverage?  I don't think so...
Bradyn Swinson is superb at pass-rushing and has the speed for pass coverage.  But setting the edge?  Not so much yet...

Mase Funa is the best at setting the edge, but he is barely adequate at pass-rushing compared to the two above.  As for pass coverage?  Forget about it.

In this new defense, I think Funa is now the wrong body-type, and should be a defensive end, not an edge or "Jack," as many might have thought.  He needs to bulk up to play inside, (in this defense--a DE plays inside the box) but instead he lost weight.  I think he might be mis-cast at Jack?

Or does Coach Lupoi have a surprise there?  (Sorry, but I like to ponder!)

Mase Funa

Mase Funa - Football - University of Oregon Athletics

Mr. FishDuck

If Mase wants to be drafted I don't think he should lose any more weight, but stay where he is.

Edited by 2002duck

I think he should have gone the other direction and become a 4i defensive end in this defense, and he could become another Brandon Dorlus.  I will get into these positions next week...

Mase Funa 'Loving' Transition to Tim DeRuyter's Defense - Sports  Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

images.jpeg.cccec5a47131d660b15585f584142b27.jpeg

On 8/26/2022 at 4:45 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think he should have gone the other direction and become a 4i defensive end in this defense, and he could become another Brandon Dorlus.  I will get into these positions next week...

Mase Funa 'Loving' Transition to Tim DeRuyter's Defense - Sports  Illustrated Oregon Ducks News, Analysis and More

Good, Charles.  For those of us who are lost with the name terminology for all the defensive positions.  Wherever Lupoi puts him, Funa will contribute.

Who fits the jack roller? Maybe one of the younger guys like Emar'rion Winston or Jaden Navarrette both guys with pass rushing background, edge seting skills but limited coverage skills. Or do you move a guy like Sewell over and let him get after the QB more with Flowe and Bassa in the middle?

Sewell is definitely big enough has coverage skills and I'm sure he could set the edge, not sure about his technique as an edge rusher but I'm sure he could figure it out. Plus the NFL payday would be bigger.

Edited by Dave23
  • Like 1