Ed O

USC 25-man limit?

So USC had 20 guys sign in December, two commit today, and four transfers. That adds up to 26 guys.

I understand that Oregon has bumped its head against the 25-man limit before (see: Chris Steele, et al) and I'm aware that the NCAA might raise that limit this year, but how is USC doing it as things stand today? Anyone know?

3 minutes ago, Ed O said:

but how is USC doing it as things stand today? Anyone know?

The NCAA has a special rule where upto 5 early enrollees(EEs) can count towards your previous class. This only works if your previous class has the space. USC signed 12 and had 1 transfer in 2020. The reports show that they had 4 2021 recruits early enrollee. With both of those they can sign up to 29 players baring they have the space on their roster or they make the space(cutting players).

if you look at the numbers, multiple top 10 teams sign over the 25 'Limit' every year. they just can't sign over 30.

• Thanks 1

On Rivals, they list 22 as signed, and if they have four transfers....one of them will have to wait for a scholarship, I believe.

Mr. FishDuck

12 minutes ago, UtahDuck said:

The NCAA has a special rule where upto 5 early enrollees(EEs) can count towards your previous class. This only works if your previous class has the space. USC signed 12 and had 1 transfer in 2020. The reports show that they had 4 2021 recruits early enrollee. With both of those they can sign up to 29 players baring they have the space on their roster or they make the space(cutting players).

if you look at the numbers, multiple top 10 teams sign over the 25 'Limit' every year. they just can't sign over 30.

Ah, yes. I was thinking with the hard cap they closed that up, but... nope.

Looking at Alabama, they've got 26 commitments this year, 25 in 2020, 27 in 2019, and 22 in 2018. Which I guess is 100 in four years, and presumably they did the EEs correctly to make the math add up.