Duckpop22

What's Better Than to Start a Season Watching Scott Frost Lose a Close One?

Absolutely nothing. "It's hard to recruit to Oregon"______Scott Frost. Better ones than you have managed to...putz!

• Haha 1

New record, 7 straight 1 score losses.  

Next up, North Dakota.  If it reaches 8, Nebraska will be Frost free this fall.

• Haha 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

What's Better Than to Start a Season Watching Scott Frost Lose a Close One?

Watching him lose in an absolute beat down.

In other news concerning former Duck OC's Marcus Arroyo and UNLV are up 45-7 at the start of the 3rd in a toasty 103 degree stadium.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lincoln Nebraska--Harder than Eugene Oregon---Scott Frost.

Better than the result? Maybe all of that free beer and food at Aviva Stadium in Dublin? I got to see my Germans beat Ireland 6-1 in a World Cup Qualifier at that stadium. It's extremely nice, and looks a lot like the new Hayward Field! Luckily the Irish fans were pretty friendly, which makes sense because Germany playing Ireland in soccer is like Oregon playing Portland State in football.

Personally, I don't have any beef with Scott Frost. I don't like Nebraska football at all, though. I didn't rank them in my Reddit CFB poll the other day, which is funny because I got a voter alert that let me know that 90% of other voters had them ranked. Never buy into the Nebraska hype! The only contribution Nebraska football has made in the past 20 years is provide college football fodder on 'Better Call Saul'.

bettercallsaul.jpg

Frost has to figure out how to finish a game. Namely play strong in the 4th quarter.

As for Frost's comments about recruiting to Oregon... 

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon is hot on the recruiting trail right now. Just last week, Oregon landed 2022 recruit Andre Dollar...

NIL was not a factor when I wrote the article. Though I think it can be applied as an Oregon disadvantage right now as Oregon's NIL dollars are mostly going to roster preservation rather than new recruits. 

Additionally, Oregon just recruited differently back when Frost was on staff. The older staff didn't adapt to the newer recruiting environment, again pre-NIL. However, they still managed to get results that were completely within the Oregon norm going back into the Belotti years. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Mark Helfrich is generally considered the worst recruiter in modern Oregon football history. He is a coach who...

Personally, I don't root against Frost. I feel many fans still dislike him for a couple reasons.

1. He abandoned Oregon, right before a bowl game, and our fan base has shown over the years we don't take coaches leaving Oregon lightly. I mean fans still have complete fits over Taggart leaving and his leaving was actually a blessing but fans still get bent out of shape by it. 

2. He said it was difficult to recruit to Oregon. It still is difficult to recruit to Oregon. There are a lot of factors working against coaches but they work hard and out work their competition. This is leaving aside the NIL stuff as well. 

It's not easy to get a southern California kid to chose Oregon over SC when they can visit SC whenever they want for an unofficial visit because they just need to get in the car and drive. Where visiting Oregon is a plane trip which costs a whole lot more. And recruits only get one official visit. 

So Oregon's coaches have to work. It can be done, we've seen it. But it is certainly not easy. We have become accustomed to seeing lots of four and five stars come to Oregon lately and have just assumed it's easy. It's not but it can be done. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 8/27/2022 at 2:35 PM, cartm25 said:

Watching Oregon beat Georgia is a WAY better start to the season.

I like Frost and root for him. He was OC for some of the Ducks’ most prolific offenses.

In fact, since Frost was here, there’s been an inverse relationship between recruiting and offensive performance. So one might argue that Frost can develop and coach offensive talent better than those that followed him who benefited from higher rated talent.

It is hard to recruit to UO compared to other big-time programs. I’ll admit WT, MC, and DL (so far) have made it look easy, but I think it’s a lot harder than it looks.

Respectfully, I will disagree.  Chip was calling the plays.  

When MH was the HC he called most of the plays as well , because quite honestly Helf and Frost did not get along at all and Helf did not trust Frost.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2022 at 4:48 PM, cartm25 said:

Yes, Chip Kelly called the plays, but I’m nearly certain Mark Helfrich did not call plays unless forced to; Scott Frost called plays in years with some of Oregon’s most prolific offenses:

KBND.COM

(Eugene, OR)  --  With former offensive coordinator Scott Frost gone to Central Florida, Oregon...

Clearly water underthe bridge at this point but I was told by multiple people inside the AD that Frost did not have as much playcalling responsibility as some thought.

Again hard to look backwards but the people who told me certainly would have known.

• Thumbs Up 1

From the FishDuck Feed: Scott Frost under fire following Nebraska 31-28 loss to Northwestern in Dublin, onside kick decision ripped

College football Week 0 winners and losers: Scott Frost-led Nebraska is unmitigated disaster

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Nebraska's 31-28 loss to Northwestern in Dublin, Ireland - like so many others during Scott Frost's tenure - hit all the same beats as a horror film.

• Applause 1

New Nerdbraska NIL opportunity? Game Used, player autographed, "Launch Buckets"!

On 8/27/2022 at 4:48 PM, cartm25 said:

Yes, Chip Kelly called the plays, but I’m nearly certain Mark Helfrich did not call plays unless forced to;

I am going to politely disagree; Helfrich called up to half the plays and Kelly would agree or suggest something else.  Proof of this comes with how the offense did not change when Chip left, as the scoring continued and Oregon actually had more run/pass balance under Helfrich.

FISHDUCK.COM

An examination of the unique components that Chip Kelly used in his gameplans and how Coach Helfrich has fared in comparison.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Scott Frost might be the poster child for a 'coach too far'.  

Meaning, a good QB coach/co-offensive coordinator but NOT a Head Coach.  Not all coaches are cut out to be Head Coaches or QB coaches or OC's Or DC's etc.  Know your lane and stay in it.  Frost would have a great collegiate coaching career if he'd stay in his lane and help develop QB's and Offensive schemes.  And what's wrong with that?

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Frost. He left to take a HC job at UCF. Nothing wrong with that. However, I think his huge flaw is that he doesn’t like putting in the effort for recruits. It was easy in Orlando. He could fill his roster with local kids using his car to go recruit them. Now, the FL traffic is no joke, but he could visit a ton of kids and still be home for dinner.

Frost called the plays and it was covered more than once during televised games.

He was the poster child for getting calls down to the backup QBs that resulted in successive plays run within several seconds and the media loved to talk about it.

I don't have an issue with Frost. But Nebraska fan's arrogance during and after their heyday makes this drought seem like poetic justice. 

The combination of Kelly, Helfrich, and Frost arguably gave us fans and many CFB fans some of the most exciting football to watch. 

But, without a Natty it is almost like only eating desserts. It's not healthy to live on just desserts.

I can appreciate Cristobal's meat and baked potatoes approach.  He had some success. But I'd like to see a full course from Lanning and company, not just FROSTing.

Go Ducks!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Frost’s decision making is, to put it mildly, suspect.  The onside kick’s expected value had to be heavily upside down relative to Nebraska’s winning percentage at that point in the game.  

I am sure there are folks on this forum who dislike or are perhaps, at best, lukewarm to the application of analytics for coaching decisions.  But this is a perfect example of why making decisions by gut feel are so dangerous. 

I would love to see Nebraska’s winning % prior to and immediately after the onside kick.  I have to imagine it changed by double digits in Northwestern’s favor.   

Insanity and I would fire him on the spot for that alone.  He isn’t going to learn anything or change his style at this point in his career (or at least won’t without a material event like being fired that forces him to do so)

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

Frost is probably thinking about now that he should have stayed at UCF.

• Applause 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:35 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

Frost is probably thinking about now that he should have stayed at UCF.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Frost

The Colley Matrix recognized the 2017 UCF team as national champions,[8] and the school claims a national title despite not winning the college football playoff. This remains Frost's only winning season as a head coach.

I don't have issues with Frost, taking the UCF job was an ideal career move for him.  He wasn't really a serious candidate for the Oregon HC job and there was no guarantee he was going to be retained as OC. 

IMHO he probably should have acknowledged his mentorship under Chip and Helfie and the opportunities he got while at Oregon.  He came in as a relatively unproven receivers coach and left as one of the hottest commodities as a first-time HC, so it's understandable that his comments come across as disrespectful to Duck fans.  Whatever, he's moved on and he's still a product of the Oregon coaching tree so his success or failure still reflects his time here.  

• Go Ducks! 1

Idk, I got no ill feelings for Frost. I know a lot of Ducks fans hold onto the recruiting comments but that's old news to me. Glad he left and we got folks in here to show it can be done.

My question is what happened to this guy? He was money for awhile, what he did at UCF was amazing. Bad fit? Should Nebraska be more of a traditional offensive scheme like Cristobal runs? I've been to Lincoln,  not much there so recruiting can't be easy as well.

On 8/28/2022 at 4:06 PM, 12Duck72 said:

My question is what happened to this guy? He was money for awhile, what he did at UCF was amazing. Bad fit? Should Nebraska be more of a traditional offensive scheme like Cristobal runs? I've been to Lincoln,  not much there so recruiting can't be easy as well.

Nebraska is a has been blue blood. What made them great was when they could bully their conference and recruiting was far more local and your past meant more than your present team. 

Nebraska is not cool anymore and they can't bully their conference. They have never been a big power in the B1G and they have thought about leaving a couple times... Or at least their media has... The paycheck is just too good. 

It took Michigan years to get back to being relevant and they have only had one season at being relevant. Nebraska is trying to get there but they are going to need to recruit better because those B1G teams are bullying them and not the other way around..

After all... If you have a choice between Nebraska and Ohio State right now.. where are you going? Or Nebraska and almost anywhere else.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huskies and Huskers should play each other in the Pepperridge Farm Bowl because no one else remembers or cares about their ancient pasts.

If Frost thought recruiting to Oregon was hard, then Nebraska was not the place to go.

This isn't the end of the world...but you can see it from here!

Cross Country Road Trip Legs 5 and 6: Nebraska and Wyoming – We Have Twins?!

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I was actually driving through a part of Nebraska a couple of years ago. The whole state has a slight manure smell. I'm not joking. Some of the time you have to roll the window up just to get a little relief.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Frost is statistically now one of the worst decision makers in college football. He advertises his faults to opposing coaches and just repeats them over and over. Nebraska should have fired him last year.  I wonder if he's still seeing that Oregon cheerleader or if he's moved on to another young college girl. 

• Oh no! 1

On 8/28/2022 at 12:15 PM, cartm25 said:

This was the best I could find:

3089B8B9-2001-4CD4-96F2-8A93943E1688.jpeg

Looks like our stock market since 2020.  lol

I'm still trying to figure out why Scott called for the on-side kick, but one thing's for sure.  If it had worked (and Nebraska tacked on even just another FG) every "football analyst" in America would be calling him a genius.  Just saying -

• Haha 1

I watched the Nebraska game and there was a lot more to the loss than just the muffed on-side kick, although it ranks as one of the worst coaching decisions I've ever seen.  I couldn't believe how many very catchable balls were simply dropped by Nebraska's receivers. There was also the inability of Nebraska's defense to stop the run late in the game when everyone knew that that was exactly what Northwestern was going to do. It's hard to believe, given the success Frost had at UCF, that he's done so poorly at Nebraska. It's also hard to believe that this isn't his last season coaching the Corn Huskers.

Up by 11 with 9 minutes left in the 3rd Q... and Frost's next great idea is an onside kick? In all sincerity, I would love to know the thought process that went into that call.

Almost reminds me of Steve Martin's old stick regarding him saying he could have been a great football coach because he would mix it up a lot... and do some real creative stuff like punt on 1st down -- you know... because they wouldn't be expecting it. 🙂

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:27 AM, Mic said:

Looks like our stock market since 2020.  lol

I'm still trying to figure out why Scott called for the on-side kick, but one thing's for sure.  If it had worked (and Nebraska tacked on even just another FG) every "football analyst" in America would be calling him a genius.  Just saying -

No way. They'd all be saying that it was a bizarre call and that he was one lucky coach. 

Fear and desperation tends to breed strange and crap decision making.

Edited by Desert Duck

He may be gone before the first frost.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1