Log Haulin

Reality Check for Dawg Fan

DAWNOFTHEDAWG.COM

The No.3 ranked Georgia football team will take on the No. 11 Oregon Ducks in one of the marquee games of the...

I think UGA fans that have spent some time here on OBDF realize the obstacle Oregon poses to start the season. 

I think Oregon has two unknowns that will give UGA fits. Bo (if starter) and Flowe. 

Nix has all the skills to be a great QB. Between his ears under pressure is what concerns me most. It Bo figures out how to slow his head under pressure he could be very dangerous. 

Flowe is an absolute animal. Very little game experience or tape to confirm this. If JF goes out and plays to his instincts, Flowe will give KS fits all afternoon. 

Going to be a great match-up for week one. Ducks have nothing to lose. To quote Jack Black: "loosey-goosey baby"

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I’m looking for seven to be our lucky number.

It’s a tough matchup for the Dawgs first game and with the number of quality targets Bo has at his disposal the Dawgs secondary might be stretched thin and forced to play nickel more than they want to slow Seven down.

If the offensive line can give Bo the time to hit the open speedster could be a game changer.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:32 AM, Log Haulin said:
DAWNOFTHEDAWG.COM

The No.3 ranked Georgia football team will take on the No. 11 Oregon Ducks in one of the marquee games of the...

I think UGA fans that have spent some time here on OBDF realize the obstacle Oregon poses to start the season. 

I think Oregon has two unknowns that will give UGA fits. Bo (if starter) and Flowe. 

Nix has all the skills to be a great QB. Between his ears under pressure is what concerns me most. It Bo figures out how to slow his head under pressure he could be very dangerous. 

Flowe is an absolute animal. Very little game experience or tape to confirm this. If JF goes out and plays to his instincts, Flowe will give KS fits all afternoon. 

Going to be a great match-up for week one. Ducks have nothing to lose. To quote Jack Black: "loosey-goosey baby"

It’s true, there are many Dawg fans out there that assume GA will dominate and easily dispatch the Ducks.  And while this is a possibility, the reason most of them believe this is bc they haven’t done their homework and actually know very little about Oregon’s football program.  

All these fans can see is a Pac-12 team that was blown out by Utah twice last season with a QB that UGA defenses have basically owned for three seasons.  They have little knowledge of and certainly don’t see the disparity between last season’s Ducks and this season’s Ducks.  

Yes, it’s very possible that these fans are in for a bit of a reality check next Saturday.  If the Ducks play to the level that they are capable, I think this wake up call will sink in about the same time the first half ends.  

I’m glad that I’m familiar with the Ducks and I feel fortunate that I’ve joined this forum.  It’s given me some insight into the Oregon program that I would certainly be lacking had I not become an active member of the fishduck forum.  My familiarity has increased exponentially and with it my anticipation of this game.  

My excitement level is off the charts!  I can’t wait to tune in next Saturday!  I have a feeling it’s going to be a good one.

• Go Ducks! 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/28/2022 at 8:27 AM, SoGaDawg said:

It’s true, there are many Dawg fans out there that assume GA will dominate and easily dispatch the Ducks.  And while this is a possibility, the reason most of them believe this is bc they haven’t done their homework and actually know very little about Oregon’s football program.  

From what I've seen from Georgia pages and just national punditry there really is a weird perception of what Oregon currently is. 

This is how I've interpreted how Oregon is currently viewed and half of it doesn't make much sense anymore.

1. Oregon doesn't have the talent needed to compete in the trenches. This stems more from the Kelly-Helfrich days where Oregon had much smaller linemen. 

We don't anymore. We have some much larger and higher rated linemen now. They went into Ohio State house and out muscled Ohio State. This isn't true anymore. 

2. Oregon doesn't recruit well enough. This is sorta the same as the first point but more something across the board. Just the idea we don't even have the talent to be in the same league as many of these teams. 

Not true anymore. Cristobal did stock the cupboard for us and Lanning and co are doing a pretty good job with recruiting so far though it is an on going process. 

3. Oregon can recruit but not develop talent. This one is weird because it assumes the previous two points aren't a thing. 

While I'd say this was somewhat true under Cristobal, though the Cristobal era did come with 3 consecutive years with top 10 NFL draft picks, we don't have the same coaching staff anymore. This is just a continued assumption. 

4. Oregon's offense and defensive coaching won't be able to put scheme opponents. Again... Maybe under MC but different staff now. This is just another assumption that doesn't take into account coaching chances. 

5. Oregon is hurting from the loss of Cristobal and is rebuilding. This feels funny when I see anyone mention this and it usually stems from the idea that Oregon has hired a first time head coach and since MC is getting paid big money at Miami now he must be a huge big time coach, which in many ways he is. 

It will be very difficult for Lanning to be a worse game day coach than Cristobal. Oregon has the talent needed to compete. 

Now does this mean there won't be bumps in the road? Of course not and I don't expect Oregon to beat Georgia, I do however, expect Oregon to compete. 

No one really knows anything about this Oregon program and what it can do on a national level. I don't think we entirely know as fans just yet. But we will find out soon. 

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Salute 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

On 8/28/2022 at 8:45 AM, David Marsh said:

From what I've seen from Georgia pages and just national punditry there really is a weird perception of what Oregon currently is. 

This is how I've interpreted how Oregon is currently viewed and half of it doesn't make much sense anymore.

1. Oregon doesn't have the talent needed to compete in the trenches. This stems more from the Kelly-Helfrich days where Oregon had much smaller linemen. 

We don't anymore. We have some much larger and higher rated linemen now. They went into Ohio State house and out muscled Ohio State. This isn't true anymore. 

2. Oregon doesn't recruit well enough. This is sorta the same as the first point but more something across the board. Just the idea we don't even have the talent to be in the same league as many of these teams. 

Not true anymore. Cristobal did stock the cupboard for us and Lanning and co are doing a pretty good job with recruiting so far though it is an on going process. 

3. Oregon can recruit but not develop talent. This one is weird because it assumes the previous two points aren't a thing. 

While I'd say this was somewhat true under Cristobal, though the Cristobal era did come with 3 consecutive years with top 10 NFL draft picks, we don't have the same coaching staff anymore. This is just a continued assumption. 

4. Oregon's offense and defensive coaching won't be able to put scheme opponents. Again... Maybe under MC but different staff now. This is just another assumption that doesn't take into account coaching chances. 

5. Oregon is hurting from the loss of Cristobal and is rebuilding. This feels funny when I see anyone mention this and it usually stems from the idea that Oregon has hired a first time head coach and since MC is getting paid big money at Miami now he must be a huge big time coach, which in many ways he is. 

It will be very difficult for Lanning to be a worse game day coach than Cristobal. Oregon has the talent needed to compete. 

Now does this mean there won't be bumps in the road? Of course not and I don't expect Oregon to beat Georgia, I do however, expect Oregon to compete. 

No one really knows anything about this Oregon program and what it can do on a national level. I don't think we entirely know as fans just yet. But we will find out soon. 

Thanks DM, always enjoy your thoughtful post. I think the unknowns give Ducks an advantage early in the season. It's probably what frustrates Smart the most as he game plans the opener.Lanning has played this well with all the secrecy.

By the start of conference play, with two competitive games played, much more will be known. looking for the play on the field to match the talent on paper by WSU game.

If this happens, look out because this just might be the start of something special. If Oregon can execute at a high level on the field and sideline, Oregon could find itself top 3 or 4 by the end of season.

• Go Ducks! 2

On 8/28/2022 at 11:45 AM, David Marsh said:

I think other fans (such as Dawg fans) perception of Oregon football is a product of their perception of the Pac-12 conference.  They are lazy and do little or no research on the changes of other programs.   And lazy pundits (supposed experts) negatively portraying Oregon all but ensures that these fans will not have an accurate picture of the true state of Oregon football. This and the fact that they perceive the the Pac-12 as a weak conference is likely most responsible for their unjust belief that Oregon is not a top tier program.  

Yes, we aren’t sure what the Duck’s program is capable of this season or in the coming seasons yet.  But there is IMHO very many reasons to be quite optimistic for the near future and for what’s coming around the next corner.  The good thing is, as you say we will find out soon.  

• Go Ducks! 2

The Dawgs will treat this Oregon game as if they are playing Bama or any other SEC team. Smart won’t let them go in unfocused or la king respect. 
lannjng knows where we are weak defense and I’ll guess he’s targeting the DL; he will do his best to establish some sort of ground game. He knows where we are stronger at too…the secondary, so he will be maybe more cautious there.

UGAs offensive may be more of a puzzle to Lanning. I’ll check my thoughts there. I will say the TE’s have an impact, but maybe not how many others think. 

But make no mistake, this game ain’t a gimme. I’ll guess it will be closer than Vegas oddsmakers predict. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I believe the shellacking that Utah gave us twice last season speaks volumes. We have been a team that beats you with that big O, for quite a while.

Let's see what Dr Dan can do about that. I'd be glad to watch a game where the final score was 9 to 6, as long as the winner wear's green....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:35 AM, McDawg said:

I will say the TE’s have an impact, but maybe not how many others think. 

Any way I think about them is terrifying!!!!

On 8/28/2022 at 8:45 AM, David Marsh said:

It will be very difficult for Lanning to be a worse game day coach than Cristobal.

Hopefully, between game days too.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:49 AM, LuckeyDuck said:

I'd be glad to watch a game where the final score was 9 to 6, as long as the winner wear's green....

...or yellow, or black, or white, or eggshell... or whatever other color Oregon is wearing that particular day. 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, Log Haulin said:

It Bo figures out how to slow his head under pressure he could be very dangerous. 

Well, he's married now.  So that's gotta help!

• Thumbs Up 1

Well you guys went into Columbus and won. I think that Ohio State team didn't have the physicality aspect to them. Michigan beat them essentially the same way. I think Lanning will bring in some secrets, but that could also work the other way. Hoping for a good game. I'm anxious to see our game against Utah, Alabama vs Texas, and Ohio State vs Notre Dame this opening weekend.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, GatOrlando said:

I'm anxious to see our game against Utah

So are we, GatOrlando.  So are we.

Good luck Saturday, btw.  

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 10:26 AM, 30Duck said:

Ya, but you probably think angry charging grizzly bears are scary too. 

• Haha 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:55 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

Well, he's married now.  So that's gotta help!

Or he'll be distracted by thoughts of weeding dandelions, moving furniture around, hanging curtains, which dishes go where and remembering to put the toilet seat down. Then again, the game might be a blissful respite from regular Saturday domestic life.

• Haha 1

Like most rational Duck fans (admittedly,  the term "rational fans" is a bit of an oxymoron considering the word "fans" is the abbreviated version of "fanatics"), I am not expecting a win on Saturday. 

I am, however, hoping we compete and look respectable. At this point in the season, and given our almost completely new coaching staff, a competitive game could play a huge factor late in the season. 

On 8/29/2022 at 9:52 AM, GatOrlando said:

Well you guys went into Columbus and won. I think that Ohio State team didn't have the physicality aspect to them. Michigan beat them essentially the same way. I think Lanning will bring in some secrets, but that could also work the other way. Hoping for a good game. I'm anxious to see our game against Utah, Alabama vs Texas, and Ohio State vs Notre Dame this opening weekend.

Welcome Gat. Glad you are here. Got some great Dawg fans here so it should be fun. Civility is a must here but hope you enjoy OBDF.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 1:26 PM, 30Duck said:

Hers's an admittedly, very confident response from me regarding our TE's.  

You probably should be terrified. If I were a betting man, I'd place a bet on those dudes nullifying any advantage you get with Sewell and Flowe. I have a feeling NS & JF won't be able to cover them.

Edited by McDawg

On 8/29/2022 at 6:01 PM, McDawg said:

I have a feeling NS & JF won't be able to cover them.

I would agree, but because I do not think they will assigned to cover them. 

I think the Dan-Man has a plan.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/29/2022 at 9:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I would agree, but because I do not think they will assigned to cover them. 

I think the Dan-Man has a plan.

giphy.gif

Are you thinking Addison and Bridges will be a big part of Dans plan?

On 8/29/2022 at 7:36 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Are you thinking Addison and Bridges will be a big part of Dans plan?

Yes, and Bassa, who was recruited to play safety, but filled in at WLB due to Flowe's injury and played well.  He has speed and likes to hit...

Jeffrey Bassa meets Brittain Brown in the gap to stop a big 3rd down...

Jeffrey Bassa meets Brittain Brown in the hole_Tom Corno.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/29/2022 at 10:49 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yes, and Bassa, who was recruited to play safety, but filled in at WLB due to Flowe's injury and played well.  He has speed and likes to hit...

Jeffrey Bassa meets Brittain Brown in the gap to stop a big 3rd down...

Jeffrey Bassa meets Brittain Brown in the hole_Tom Corno.jpg

I was thinking the same.  It’s going to be a huge ask to defend these TEs.  But these guys have a rare combination of size and speed that certainly could give them an upside for this assignment that most players don’t have.  

It’s going to be interesting.  How are these guys cover skills?

On 8/29/2022 at 8:32 PM, SoGaDawg said:

How are these guys cover skills?

Well, Bassa was a safety, and could play it again. (I would not be surprised to see him play some "Star" for us this year at times)  Addison began his career as a receiver, and was a highly recruited one coming out of HS and he is long at 6'5" in addition to speed and catching skills. Bridges is 6'3" and reputed to have a wingspan of a 7-footer and he played corner for us last year.

I did not list Justin Flowe, and although he has superb speed to stay up with TEs, he is inexperienced, and my preference would be the three above.

Your TEs are elite, but this group might just be one of the more challenging set of defenders they face this season.

Mr. FishDuck

I've said all along that I expected this game to be a spirited contest and that I might even place a (small) bet for the Ducks to  cover the spread. And I look forward to watching Duck games and pulling hard for them, particularly against the Bruins and Trojans. I do this because I  grew up out West and was  a big PCC, PAC 8, 10, and 12 fan and hate that  the conference has been weakened for  the love of money.

• Applause 1

The article was objective and not subjective. Nothing was said that I would disagree with. I think we're going to have a great season opener...and there's no pressure on Oregon. No one expects anything from Oregon. That's a great place to be. Georgia has all the pressure. If they screw up, if they keep the Ducks in the game, if they lose - it's all on them. Imagine having the freedom to just play a high-profile game with absolutely no pressure. That's where Oregon is at. The team is in an ideal spot, and even if Oregon loses, they don't lose, right? Well, if they can't cover the spread then there are potentially issues, but does anyone here seriously think that will be the case?

On 8/30/2022 at 3:47 AM, Badwater said:

The article was objective and not subjective. Nothing was said that I would disagree with. I think we're going to have a great season opener...and there's no pressure on Oregon. No one expects anything from Oregon. That's a great place to be. Georgia has all the pressure. If they screw up, if they keep the Ducks in the game, if they lose - it's all on them. Imagine having the freedom to just play a high-profile game with absolutely no pressure. That's where Oregon is at. The team is in an ideal spot, and even if Oregon loses, they don't lose, right? Well, if they can't cover the spread then there are potentially issues, but does anyone here seriously think that will be the case?

Yes there are plenty of people who do not think they will cover the spread.   Home game for Georgia, 100,000 fans creating an atmosphere nobody has experienced except Bo Nix, Traveling 2000 miles away, head coach with ZERO experience, new coordinators, new schemes, no proven running backs, unproven offensive line, back up QB's with zero experience, I could go on.  

Were up against the most feared individual lineman in college football, and one of the top 3 defensive lines in the nation, and an offense (almost all are returning) that hung a lot of points on the Alabama defense just a few moths ago.   So ya there are plenty who feel we will not cover the spread.  Does that mean we are not Duck fans?  

If I want "likes" and hand "claps" I say, "Gonna be a great game, could go either way..."  But when my kid called for advice, on betting the spread, in Vegas I told her my honest thoughts.  Georgia will be up 24-3 at half.  Kirby makes his point, calls the Dawgs off in the  second half.  Final score Georgia 44-13

Then Georgia cruises into playoffs after losing to Bama in SEC Championship yet again. 

No pressure on Ducks?  I say there is tons of it.  The entire credibility of the PAC rides on Utah and Oregon this week-end.  If we both lose you can put a fork in the Pac.  (As national contenders).  And that will affect recruiting in a few years.

On 8/30/2022 at 9:29 AM, Pac10again said:

No pressure on Ducks?  I say there is tons of it.  The entire credibility of the PAC rides on Utah and Oregon this week-end.  If we both lose you can put a fork in the Pac.  (As national contenders).  And that will affect recruiting in a few years.

Fair or not, I agree with this assessment.  This weekend will drive the narrative for the PAC for at least the early part of the season, and once a narrative gains traction, it can be really tough to shake it.  

With that being said, I think the Utes have a better than average shot at leaving The Swamp with a W.  

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/29/2022 at 3:43 PM, Log Haulin said:

Welcome Gat. Glad you are here. Got some great Dawg fans here so it should be fun. Civility is a must here but hope you enjoy OBDF.

On 8/29/2022 at 11:12 AM, Mic said:

So are we, GatOrlando.  So are we.

Good luck Saturday, btw.  

I wasn't aware how highly ranked Utah was to start the year. All I know is it will be a good litmus test for Napier. You guys have an even tougher one with Lanning going up against the defending champions. Here's to a Gator, and Duck victory this Saturday.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Like 1