Charles Fischer

Mario Makes Sure you Know the New DC is an "Upgrade"

Apparently in the Signing Day presentation...he stated about the hirings without being asked, "every chance we have to bring somebody in, we end up getting an upgrade."  Whoa...is that a shot at Avalos?

giphy.gif

And again...it was quite curious to see players give a warm goodbye to Keith Heyward, but with Avalos....crickets.  And that went both ways, thus there is an internal story there nobody is talking about.

If you want to learn all about the recruits and have the time--here you go.

An interview with just Cristobal...

Mr. FishDuck

That's very interesting.  I never saw anything that would indicate any sort of friction between Avalos and the rest of the Oregon coaching staff, then again the program has done a solid job of locking down rumors and issues within the program communication-wise for years.  Maybe it was a grudgingly accepted relationship similar to Cristobal/Leavitt?  

In any case, the more I read about DeRuyter and learn about his past defenses the more I'm inclined to say he is an upgrade (on paper) over Avalos.  He has a long resume of success in multiple programs with lesser talent, it'll be exciting to see what he does next season.

12 minutes ago, Charles Fischer said:

Apparently in the Signing Day presentation...he stated about the hirings without being asked, "every chance we have to bring somebody in, we end up getting an upgrade."  Whoa...is that a shot at Avalos?

Not that far outside the norm for Cristobal. He has said it every single time he has hired a new coach.

Leavitt to Avalos ... upgrade... Avalos to DeRuyter ... upgrade

Arroyo to Moorhead.. upgrade

YES it is also true that all these hires are pretty much objective upgrades but still what else is MC going to say... "eh... we found a guy... he seems ok"? ... that works at Washington but not at Oregon!

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, David Marsh said:

what else is MC going to say... "eh... we found a guy... he seems ok"? ... that works at Washington but not at Oregon!

I like it, described it perfectly. 

3 hours ago, David Marsh said:

Not that far outside the norm for Cristobal. He has said it every single time he has hired a new coach.

Leavitt to Avalos ... upgrade... Avalos to DeRuyter ... upgrade

Arroyo to Moorhead.. upgrade

This begs the question "if each change is an 'upgrade', then why didn't he just get the latest upgrade in the first place". This would indicate his first picks ended up not being so good. 

58 minutes ago, BigDucksFan said:

"if each change is an 'upgrade', then why didn't he just get the latest upgrade in the first place".

Made me laugh!  Darn good question....

Mr. FishDuck