FamilyofDucks

Oregon WR Commit Jurrion Dickey Responds to Miami Rumors: 'I'm staying a Duck'

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The 5-star receiver took to Twitter to respond to Miami rumors.

Edited by FamilyofDucks
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just another reason why Oregon's showing on Saturday could a have long-range impact on future scouting.  What a tough way to start the 2022 season - on the road to play the current National Champs.  But think of the up-side should the Ducks show well against Georgia, while Miami plays...  Bethune-Cookman.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the end of 2022 season, JD will want nothing to do with Miami.  If anything, I see a few blue-chips verballed elsewhere flipping over to Oregon. This is going to be an epic year in so many ways.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think any WR like JD will want to go to Mario's stagnant offense. But that doesn't mean other teams arent trying to flip him. Gotta keep on guard until signing day.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/28/2022 at 4:12 PM, kirklandduck said:

..."doesn't mean other teams arent trying to flip him. Gotta keep on guard until signing day."

Of course, all's fair in love and war, as they say.  I'm sure O's looking for others to sign should Juriron Dickey change his mind.  

On 8/28/2022 at 1:39 PM, Mic said:

while Miami plays...  Bethune-Cookman.

Whatya think?  Is Mari nO Offense going to keep this to a one score game?  Just asking for a friend... LOL!!

• Haha 1

It’s funny how Mario is getting all kinds of hype based, I believe, largely on his recruiting success at Oregon.  I don’t think you can look at his results on the field to justify that hype but maybe I am being cynical in that regard.  

In any event, DL is having amazing recruiting success and…pretty much no hype.  

I can totally justify the latter because DL hasn’t coached a single game and so is an unknown quantity in terms of results that mater: on the field performance and championships. 

But breaking it down, Mario is in some ways no better than DL because he is a known quantity on the field. Relative to what can be measured between he and DL, the latter has equaled his predecessor’s results and, IMHO, bettered them (it would be fair to say DL is riding the foundations Mario built and so cannot be truly graded until year 3 but my point still stands I think). 

An example of the media willing a narrative into existence based solely on the brand of the program (Miami)

Honestly, I’ll take it.  Better to be undervalued and outperform than vice versa.  Mario’s seat is already warm (even if he doesn’t realize it) and they even haven’t played a game. 

Edited by CalBear95

In these days of NIL and multi-million dollar signings, agents, portholes, and who-knows-what, it just might be the Benjamins that do the best recruiting....coaches be damned.  It could be mighty hard for a kid from a poor home to put play style over a life far from poverty.  I'd imagine that is particularly true of the blue chip recruits.  Money matters over principle to many people.

I hope the Ducks land this kid and he becomes the star he shows the potential of being.

An essential aspect of any great recruiter is the ability to connect with the most fundamental, psychological need of a teenage athlete: the safe passage from one home to another. The shiny tools of that pitch (a top program; the right fit; the chance to play right away; etc) are the lure, but the promise of good parenting, and the need to feel at home are the bedrock.

Mario has that in spades. Where Mario has failed  thus far is by not moving past the protective role and taking off the training wheels.  At some point the best head coaches know they’ve got to relinquish control and let their players succeed or fail; let them grow up. So far, Mario has been afraid to let go of those reins.