JunkyardDawg

New Guys to Know - UGA

Hello to the Fish Duck fam.  I just wanted to thank folks for letting me hang out / lurk for most of the summer.  I always like to find a good forum from opposing teams to learn more in depth about the opposing programs, and this one has been one of the best.  I mean everyone knows about guys like Flowe and Sewell, but places like this are where you learn the true details of a team like how the season actually hinges on who wins the backup long snapper spot.  😉

So, in that spirit, I thought I'd give you all a little preview of the Dawgs and guys that are not the ones that the national pundits bring up all the time.  These are guys to keep an eye out for that will be a factor for good or for bad.

Offense:

#6 - SR RB - Kenny McIntosh - He's got some big shoes to fill as the next guy up at RBU.  He's an all-around kinda back who is good at everything but not exceptional at anything if that makes sense.  His best attribute is probably his ability to make the tough catches out of the backfield, and you'll see him used in a similar fashion to how UGA used James Cook last year.  

#69 - RsSO RG - Tate Ratledge - This dude is quite the character.  Rocks a sweet mullet and is just the right kind of "off" mentally that makes for a devastating O-Lineman.  Had won the job last year with whispers of him looking like the best NFL prospect on the OL, but broke his foot four plays into the first game.  He's just now getting the chance to show his stuff. 

#00 - JR TE - Darnell Washington - Everybody knows UGA's other TE Brock Bowers, and even Arik Gilbert gets a lot of press due to his journey from LSU.  But the real mismatch guy is Darnell.  Standing 6'7" tall and weighing in at 270 lbs this guy has a 1%'er body type even for the NFL.  He was slowed down last year due to a foot injury in camp and then became overshadowed by Brock Bowers phenomenal freshman season.  Word out of camp is that "Big 0" is healthy and hungry to prove he's not just another guy out there.  

Defense: 

#10 - SO ILB - Jamon Dumas-Johnson - He's another one with big shoes to fill as he's the guy replacing Nakobe Dean as the quarterback of the defense.  He's a very instinctual player who is a natural in making the reads and being in the right place at the right time as evidenced by his first career game where he came up with a silky-smooth pick six against UAB.  From all accounts this guy, whenever he comes out, looks like the next 1st round ILB from UGA's coach Glenn Schumann, who already has 2 first rounders and 3 third rounders to his credit since 2018.  

#93 - RsFR DE - Tyrion Ingram-Dawkins - "TID" for short, is the guy replacing 1st overall pick Travon Walker.  At 6-5 300 lbs he's a dude.  Has a quick first step and is really tough to move off the point.  He's one to watch as if the Duck are going to have any success running the ball, it will have to be on his side.  

#96 - RsJR DT - Zion Logue - Another guy with enormous shoes to fill as he's replacing Jordan Davis.  He's not nearly Davis' size (I mean who is?), so he'll have to rely more on technique.  If there is success to be found against UGA's DL from an OL perspective it will be here.  

Again, thanks for letting me hang around, and feel free to ask any questions about the UGA lineup.  I'll be more than happy to answer.  

Edited by JunkyardDawg
  • Thanks 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice heads-up on some players to keep an eye on.  Ought to be interesting to see how Ingram-Dawkins and Logue stackup against O's pretty darn decent and experienced O-line.  Or, vice-versa.  

You know Lanning & Lupoi will have a plan for the Bulldogs O line.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, Mic said:

Nice heads-up on some players to keep an eye on.  Ought to be interesting to see how Ingram-Dawkins and Logue stackup against O's pretty darn decent and experienced O-line.  Or, vice-versa.  

Reminds me of Mike Tyson's famous line. "Everybody's got a plan, until you've been hit."

Tell us about the experience of the starting safeties, the Star and the corners?  

On 8/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, Bathtub Ducky said:

Tell us about the experience of the starting safeties, the Star and the corners?  

Sure.

Safety

#29 SR - Chris Smith is the returning starter with the most experience.  Took over as the starter in 2020 and played the majority of snaps last year when not battling an injury.  Could play his way into the 1st round of the NFL draft with a big season this year.  LINK to Scouting Profile

#17 RsJR - Dan Jackson - Former walk on that just seems to keep on making plays.  Played 455 snaps last year filling in when needed, and looks to be the starter in game one.  He's trying to hold off #24 true FR Malaki Starks and several others to keep his spot.  

Star

#31 RsSR - William Poole - Played sparingly over his career until late last year where he got 273 snaps.  Had a game to forget in the SEC Championship game as he got abused by Bama, but turned it around to be one of the standouts in the National title game.  Seems to be a glue guy as the staff is working him out as the 3rd corner too.  

OR

#22 SO - Javon Bullard - Didn't play much as a FR, but has made noise in camp.  On the smaller side, but fearless when it comes to making and finishing a tackle.  

Corner

#5 JR - Kelee Ringo - Returning starter that is a sure fire 1st rounder, maybe even a top 5 kinda talent.  

#3 SO - Kamari Lassiter - 158 snaps in 9 games last year, so barley got his toes wet.  Earned the spot in camp over Nyland Green and two 5 star true FR.  

On 8/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, Bathtub Ducky said:

Corners :

Kelee Ringo rSoph...(all SEC) will be one corner and Kamari Lassiter will be the other.  Ringo had the pick six to seal the title game. He's solid and is fast becoming a true lockdown corner. He was the #1 CB out of HS, a 5* from Az. Started all 15 games last year.

Kamari Lassiter TSoph...has great ball skills, and speed to spare. He was a 4* out of Tuscaloosa. Played in all 15 games last year in reserve and played on special teams as well. Bulked up some over the summer.

Star

William Poole ...Senior  Was a 4* guy Played in 11 games last year. He was kind of just a reserve guy, but for some reason he busted out late in the season and played really well.  Really smart dude in the classroom too.

Free Safety...Chris Smith ***  Senior.  Very good player.  (all SEC) Had the pick six against Clemson. He is probably one of the more important pieces to the secondary.  The leadership he has is pretty important to the D. He is an impact player. 

Strong Safety...Dan Jackson...RS Soph Walk On...Slow and white, but dang if that dude ain't a player. Played in all 15 games and started in four. He is a true north Georgia mountain boy; fun to watch. He will hit you or take a hit for the team. What we call a "DGD" If you saw the Kelee Ringo pick six vs Bama, Dan was the guy flying through the air on about the 5 yard line. I don't see him goung pro, but he's still fun to watch. Blocked a punt vs Arkansas that resulted in a TD. 

OR 

Tykee Smith....Tykee was a  all conference player at WVU before transferring to UGA, but he has been recovering from an ACL, so his availability is unknown at the moment. The last injury report has him as "questionable." 

Fantastic Junkyard...awesome stuff.  If you were our OC....who in the secondary would you attack?

And...what is the experience/playing time of the 'Dawg starting linebackers?  The Mac, the Money and the Jack?

Mr. FishDuck

Runn right at the front. The backers are young. They are athletic and skilled, just lack experience.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:35 PM, Mic said:

Logue and TID just need to tie up some blockers if they can and let Carter work. I think Lanning will more concerned with Nolan Smith and Robert Beal on the edge. 

On 8/29/2022 at 1:05 PM, McDawg said:

I think Lanning will more concerned with Nolan Smith and Robert Beal on the edge. 

I agree completely.

I have already stated in this forum that my concern is pass protection at right tackle; as Salu is BIG, but not fast and got burned badly in the Spring Game.  Smart will exploit this, and I am hoping that a 5-Star freshman with great feet (Josh Connerly) can help out on obvious passing downs.

On the blindside is a senior (TJ Bass) who has great feet and done well blocking safeties in open space last year.  He had injuries to start fall camp, but appears to be back.  If he is out...we are screwed, and as it is...we are highly challenged by your extraordinary edge rushers.

I am doing defensive analysis articles starting this Thursday, and in my study have been very impressed with how Smart/Lanning really messed up offensive lines.  While I know we have seniors starting on the OL, you will get your licks in.

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/29/2022 at 3:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Fantastic Junkyard...awesome stuff.  If you were our OC....who in the secondary would you attack?

And...what is the experience/playing time of the 'Dawg starting linebackers?  The Mac, the Money and the Jack?

Thanks.

In the secondary, I'd probably start with trying Poole at Star.  Test him to see if he just had a game where he played out of his mind in the National title game or if a light bulb finally came on and he's playing with some confidence that he hadn't had in the past.  Also, put some pressure on Dan Jackson.  You're not likely to confuse him, but maybe you can out-athlete him.   

For the LBs:

Jack - #4 SR - Nolan Smith - Rated the composite #1 overall player in his recruiting class, he's the heart and soul of the defense.  Had to wait his turn behind a couple of first rounders in the past but really came on last year when he took the reigns.  Does it all really well, sets the edge in the run game, drops back in coverage, and rushes the passer.  A true hybrid guy.  

Sam / Backup Jack - #33 RsSR - Robert Beal - Another highly rated guy that had to wait his turn behind some 1st rounders.  The Sam spot only comes into play when playing a true base set, so it's a little more rare in today's game with the popularity of 11 and 10 personnel groupings, but you may see him a little more giving Smith a breather or when Oregon comes out in a heavy set.  

Money - #10 SO - Jamon Dumas-Johnson - (see blurb in OP)

Mac - #2 SO - Smael Mondon Jr. - Didn't get as many snaps as a FR as Jamon did, so he's a little more green.  Athleticism for days though.  Will probably have to use that to make up for some missed reads before the game starts to slow down for him.  

The edge guys are where we are pretty strong at....Nolan Smith is special  " on the watchlist for the Outland Trophy (nation's top interior lineman) and Bronko Nagurski Trophy (nation's top defender)...second-team pre-season All-America selection by Athlon Sports."  He's all conference this year. Both he and Beal are seniors with a bunch of snaps played. 

The rotation is pretty good with a good amount of experience too; Chaz Chambliss is a thumper as is MJ Sherman. I have been looking forward to seeing both Chambliss and Sherman get more snaps. 

There is one guy in the middle to watch, Jamon Dumas-Johnson, aka; "Pop" They say the nickname is because he looks so much older than everyone else, but I am not so sure about the origin of the name.

This thread is the OBD forum at its best; where else are you going to see a discussion like this, with knowledgeable information and no flaming nonsense?

Aren't there some weak players you can talk about?

Thanks, Georgia guys!

Edited by jrw
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Salute 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:30 PM, JunkyardDawg said:

Money - #10 SO - Jamon Dumas-Johnson - (see blurb in OP)

Mac - #2 SO - Smael Mondon Jr. - Didn't get as many snaps as a FR as Jamon did, so he's a little more green.  Athleticism for days though.  Will probably have to use that to make up for some missed reads before the game starts to slow down for him.  

Mondon was the smaller 5-star LB recruit last year and JD-J was the Top 200 who was bigger. 

I thought they would be swapped with Mondon at the Money being smaller, faster and in more pass coverage?

You got four dudes who are 5-star starters on D right? Smith, Ringo, Carter and Mondon. 

• Whew! 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:23 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Mondon was the smaller 5-star LB recruit last year and JD-J was the Top 200 who was bigger. 

I thought they would be swapped with Mondon at the Money being smaller, faster and in more pass coverage?

You got four dudes who are 5-star starters on D right? Smith, Ringo, Carter and Mondon. 

Yes, you are correct. Should have trusted myself and not went with the source material I was looking at. 

And, also yes, those guys are the 5 star starters with another two front seven guys and two more in the secondary waiting their turn

I think you're correct.  But Kirby tends to get a lot of mileage out of the 3* guys too.

On 8/29/2022 at 12:15 PM, Pac10again said:

Reminds me of Mike Tyson's famous line. "Everybody's got a plan, until you've been hit."

lol 'Touche'

What I mean to say is: Lanning & Lupoi are very aware of those two and have an idea (better word) maybe, on how to attack the line with them in mind.  Whether or not the idea/plan has any success or not will be up to the execution of the blocking schemes as performed O's line.  But then, that's always the case.  

I would imagine Lanning also might know of any tendencies or weaknesses (if any) of either of them.  Everyone has a weakness and everyone has tendencies.  Who better to know them than the man who coached them to a National title?

On 8/29/2022 at 4:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I agree completely.

I have already stated in this forum that my concern is pass protection at right tackle; as Salu is BIG, but not fast and got burned badly in the Spring Game.  Smart will exploit this, and I am hoping that a 5-Star freshman with great feet (Josh Connerly) can help out on obvious passing downs.

On the blindside is a senior (TJ Bass) who has great feet and done well blocking safeties in open space last year.  He had injuries to start fall camp, but appears to be back.  If he is out...we are screwed, and as it is...we are highly challenged by your extraordinary edge rushers.

I am doing defensive analysis articles starting this Thursday, and in my study have been very impressed with how Smart/Lanning really messed up offensive lines.  While I know we have seniors starting on the OL, you will get your licks in.

Is TJ Bass going to line up at LT?  

On 8/29/2022 at 4:28 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Is TJ Bass going to line up at LT?  

He played there last year after playing guard before that, and he played guard in the Spring for quite a bit.  I don't know if that is "getting him ready for the NFL" or simply make sure everyone knows other positions in case of injuries, or giving someone else PT at LT.

Without him there--we are in trouble, and frankly I think your Dawgs who 'red-dog are going to get sacks regardless of our talent.  You have elite edge rushers, and frankly where I and Lanning would like to see us at in the future.

I do believe our front seven will be better than most believe, but...

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/29/2022 at 9:20 PM, Charles Fischer said:

He played there last year after playing guard before that, and he played guard in the Spring for quite a bit.  I don't know if that is "getting him ready for the NFL" or simply make sure everyone knows other positions in case of injuries, or giving someone else PT at LT.

Without him there--we are in trouble, and frankly I think your Dawgs who 'red-dog are going to get sacks regardless of our talent.  You have elite edge rushers, and frankly where I and Lanning would like to see us at in the future.

I do believe our front seven will be better than most believe, but...

giphy.gif

Cool, the depth chart I looked at showed him at LG, so that’s why I asked.  I also read several places that he is likely the Ducks most talented lineman.  If that’s the case, him at LT is probably a good idea for this game.  Especially if he played there last season.

Situation reminds me of our Jemaree Salyer last year for us. He is a guard in the NFL but played LT for us last season bc we had more proven depth at guard.  In the NC game we were struggling to block Bama’s defensive front early so in the second quarter the coaches moved Salyer to RG and brought in RSF Broderick Jones to play LT.  We didn’t run the ball effectively until after this move.  Jones had started there a few games while Salyer recovered from injury earlier in the season.

Thanks for answering.  I tried to thank you with an emoji under your post but it wouldn’t work. It kept enlarging the gif instead.😂

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Cool 1

On 8/29/2022 at 6:59 PM, SoGaDawg said:

Cool, the depth chart I looked at showed him at LG, so that’s why I asked.

Yep, and depth charts by know-nothing journalists have Noah Sewell as the "Money" linebacker and other such nonsense.

Oregon fans...I will be explaining the "Money" linebacker on Thursday.

Mr. FishDuck