Ruh-Roh! Travis Dye Throws Shade at Oregon/Cristobal

Well, isn't this lovely!

Mr. FishDuck

Who is Travis dye?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2022 at 1:18 PM, Just Ducky said:

Who is Travis dye?

He is the younger brother of a real Duck.

Well, first, it might be true and second, it's his new team. What would we expect him to say? Don't most transfers into the Oregon program to praise the Ducks? Of course they do--and that praise could be interpreted by fans at their old schools as an insult.   

Rather than inferring from snippets, I will wait until he offers direct criticism of the Ducks -- which he hasn't done. He and his brothers were class acts at Oregon. Maybe we respond in kind? It's not like he transferred to a contender! 

Edited by Drex Heikes
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Pretty easy to blend in with a bunch of losers, sorry I couldn't help myself.

There’s a pretty big difference between walking into a locker room for the first time as a green-behind-the-ears freshman, and as a welcomed, seasoned veteran from a hated rival. Would be surprised if that feel good validation hadn’t greased all the wheels.

Edited by Washington Waddler
grammar
  • Thumbs Up 1

USC....where great running backs go to Dye.

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

Did anyone ask him how he likes the neighborhood around the Campus compared to Eugene?

I agree with Drex Heikes. He didn't actually throw shade as much as he was complimentary of the way his new team has accepted him and made him feel welcome. I will be interested to see how the season progresses and how Dye does.

I am going to be honest - I think many of us dislike USC mostly because they are rich, prestigious and have more FB tradition and success.   I got to think that played a huge part in his decision to defect.    Understandable from his perspective.   Hard pill to swallow for fans of OBD.   

In this case, he handled it pretty well I think.  No need for us to get worked up over this.  We are bigger than him, aren't we?  😀

Cristobal has lots of flaws and he's gone. I figure most of this is directed at Cristobal and not Oregon as an institution. 

Cristobal builds great relationships but his culture was certainly wearing thin with last season. 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/29/2022 at 2:37 PM, DuckFan93 said:

We are bigger than him, aren't we? 

Not me.  While shameful, I fully admit to not being noble.  That was a terrible betrayal, and with those who are like the people you read about in this article?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

I’m with those that say “let it go.” Dye wanted to be close to his family and away from Mari-no-O (as were several other players). 

On 8/29/2022 at 2:37 PM, DuckFan93 said:

I am going to be honest - I think many of us dislike USC mostly because they are rich, prestigious and have more FB tradition and success.   I got to think that played a huge part in his decision to defect  

I won't speak for anyone but myself, I hate them because they are the entitled rich. Their prestige doesn't hold water with me, I don't see the cache of an sc education. And if we really want to look at success on the football field Princeton, and Yale have more than twice the national championships and much more prestige. I hate sc because they are mostly entitled buffoons. I hope I was clear on that one.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Concerning university prestige.....

I went to Cal and had good friends attend Stanford, UCLA, and Yale.  Those at Stanford and Yale will freely admit that they are baby-sat through college with little challenge.  UCLA and Cal prided themselves on their high performance standards and regularly FLUNKED out over half of the incoming freshmen classes and some reservations for the following years. 

When one pays the exorbitant tuition of private schools such as Yale, Stanford, Harvard, USC, etc... folks naturally get passed.  Entry requirements are steep.  With public schools, performance requirements are steep.  Private schools get the big names in the various disciplines.  But the dirty secret is that these folks mostly write and research...and not teach.

This admittedly is my limited take on things and is filled with generalizations.  But my circle of student friends talked about this issue at length.  With the possible exception of Stanford, I believe one gets a much better education at state schools.  If one wants prestige...you gotta pay for it!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

T'would make shutting them (USC) down even sweeter - but it will take a Conference Championship game to make that happen. USC has, (fortunately for them) avoided Oregon on its schedule this year - the last of their Pac-12 conference appearances.

Yes, there are rumors and rumblings that Mario's and Feld's acts were wearing thin.  I have never been able To specifically confirm it though.

There have been rumors that a number of the wide receivers would have transferred out as well .  Again unsubstantiated.

One thing that was interesting to me was on media day almost every player talked about football being 'fun again'. 'Fun again' being the operative phrase.

• Go Ducks! 2

On 8/29/2022 at 5:51 PM, Augduck said:

One thing that was interesting to me was on media day almost every player talked about football being 'fun again'. 'Fun again' being the operative phrase.

I recall an article about that...

FISHDUCK.COM

When you have been managing a couple Oregon football sites for a decade with hundreds of contacts among all the readers, writers, photographers...

Mr. FishDuck

I was never a big Travis Dye fan to begin with so -it be what it is.

The really good and wonderful news about Travis Dye is that he will always be a Duck! He told us so, when he departed Eugene:

"It was tough. Oregon was my first love, and it always will be. But it was just I gave everything I could to that school for four years straight, and it was time to move on."

We all know that four years is so long--it seems an eternity. And we can all relate to Dye, especially as we reminisce about our childhood. I recall my mom and dad telling me right before I started pre-school: "Son, you are our first love and always will be. But it was just we gave everything we could to you for four years straight, and now it's time to move on."

Ah, memories. 

Now our "forever" Duck, Travis Dye, has surrounded himself with some very fine role models--USC President Carol Folt, who can shiv someone in the side while sporting a smile, a coach who similarly ditched his former school for L.A. glitz and depravity, and a new home stadium that glorifies a maniac named O.J. Simpson.

No wonder that Dye fits right in with the Trojans--he's just like them.

Dye is many things, but a Duck he is not. Let's hope that Dan Lanning's defense can dish out a special type of goodbye to him in this year's Pac-12 championship game.

• Mic drop 1

Meh.  I've been involved with plenty of groups, through work, church, fantasy football, playing basketball, ex-pats, etc.  Some had the type of people I personally bonded with much faster; others didn't.  Didn't mean one set of people was good and the other bad.  

So he feels really comfortable with his new teammates.  Good for him.

Don't care. 

Hopefully we see him this season and Mr. Lanning gets to introduce a few of his guys to Dye - repeatedly, in the SC backfield.

On 8/29/2022 at 1:11 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, isn't this lovely!

1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

5.png
1/1 Skip Ad Continue watching after the ad Visit Advertiser websiteGO TO PAGE

5.png

I don't see anything here.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:04 PM, Washington Waddler said:

There’s a pretty big difference between walking into a locker room for the first time as a green-behind-the-ears freshman, and as a welcomed, seasoned veteran

The above statement makes complete sense in reference to an experienced player, but Travis decided to take it one step further.

Being the veteran that he is, he’s taken part in many interviews, and understands that his words carry weight and will be displayed for all to see.  The “I didn’t know any better, that's not what I meant” card is no longer at his disposal.

Being complimentary of your new team is part of the game.  It makes you a member of the club and shows that you are all-in with the “us against the world” mentality.  I get it. 

Where I take issue (just an observation, really) with his comment is when he chooses to make a comparison.  This is blatant and comes across as being passive-aggressive in nature.  When he added, “better than any other group I’ve been part of” to his statement, that was pretty much an eye-poke at Oregon without having the nerve to directly say so. 

Someone suggested that we be the bigger person here.  Well, physically in comparison to that lilliputian, mid-1970’s Gabe Kaplan style mustache having backstabber - I am...by a couple phonebook thicknesses. 

This may read as if I’m bitter about Dye’s departure.  I’m actually very happy with our current RB room and I typically wouldn’t even bother to voice an opinion on this guy.  Guess there’s just something special in the air today. 

If I've never mentioned it, "Good riddance, Travis".  I’m sure you’re fitting right in at the University of Sneaky Conspirators. 

• Great post! 1

Travis is still honeymooning with his new bride & school/team. Making a comment about how he feels about his new surroundings isn't that big a deal and his time as a Duck will always be special to him, Im sure. He was part of many changes here with coaches and such plus being engaged seemed to be a good time for him to create change with a new directions. 

When college players that are good enough to play at the next level, they will more than likely be traded a few times and probably making comments comparing old with new. 

Yeah. I don't know if I totally buy it all.

As a veteran, Dye absolutely could spend massive time around friends and family, and show up mid-August and be a Duck for 4 more months...

And then have? Oh maybe 60+ years to hang with those friends and family?

I hear the same thing with the Tom Brady stuff.

Does no one realize from mid-January until mid-August each year he has like at most two weeks obligation to his multi-million dollar job?

And that is if he chooses to show up for those couple voluntary weeks of practice.

So much media talk about him not being around for his family? Where the heck has he been for those 7 month for the last 2 decades?

How many of us full time working people have a full 7 months to spend with friends and family evey single freaking year?

Mr. Dye may miss the Oregon offensive line, I just have a feeling that SC's line might not yield the same results as his line at Oregon.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2022 at 1:23 PM, troywinslow said:

Mr. Dye may miss the Oregon offensive line, I just have a feeling that SC's line might not yield the same results as his line at Oregon.

I would like to think that you are quite right, and great to have you join us.  Do post your thoughts often Troy, and WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck