SoGaDawg

Oregon Offensive Skill Players

When I look at the players that I expect to start or be impact players for Oregon on offense, I gotta say I’m a little intrigued. 

The O-line has a ton of experience with all the starters being at least a 5th year seniors. (Please correct me if I have the starters wrong)

Offensive Skill players is what really intrigues me.  Aside from QB (assuming Nix), you guys have so many talented young starters and impact players here.  I mean just a ton of sophomores in skill spots that will start or at least get ample playing time.  It’s a good thing, it’s just rare to see so many players that were freshmen last season being talented enough to have the impact that I think they will this season.  TEs, WRs, RBs, and in the slot.  Talented young guys at literally every position.  

I thought it was pretty cool for us last season when our top 3 receivers were freshmen.  Bower’s stats were really good and while the other two didn’t have great stats, they were both a big part of the offense. 

• Like 1

I think we all look forward to seeing just how good these young guys are. Donte put up some crazy stats while coming off the bench in a limited role, but now we will see what he can do with all new leadership.

The guy many want to see break out is Cam McCormick, who may have a son on the team, not sure. He has been on the team forever, made some great catches, but never lasted a whole season.

Good luck to all your dawgs, may each side have an injury free game!

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, SoGaDawg said:

When I look at the players that I expect to start or be impact players for Oregon on offense, I gotta say I’m a little intrigued. 

The O-line has a ton of experience with all the starters being at least a 5th year seniors. (Please correct me if I have the starters wrong)

Offensive Skill players is what really intrigues me.  Aside from QB (assuming Nix), you guys have so many talented young starters and impact players here.  I mean just a ton of sophomores in skill spots that will start or at least get ample playing time.  It’s a good thing, it’s just rare to see so many players that were freshmen last season being talented enough to have the impact that I think they will this season.  TEs, WRs, RBs, and in the slot.  Talented young guys at literally every position.  

I thought it was pretty cool for us last season when our top 3 receivers were freshmen.  Bower’s stats were really good and while the other two didn’t have great stats, they were both a big part of the offense. 

The problem with having 5th year seniors, is that it usually means none of them are NFL caliber.  Which is fine unless your playing an elite team

On 8/30/2022 at 1:21 PM, Pac10again said:

The problem with having 5th year seniors, is that it usually means none of them are NFL caliber.  Which is fine unless your playing an elite team

I would tend to agree with you on this except that the percentage of "NFL prospects" that make the jump to the next level and succeed are abysmally small.  Many think they're ready, want to be ready, are hoping they're ready - but just aren't.  Some athletes willing to remain in college a little longer do so after good advice from good coaches.  This is especially true, I think, of O and D linemen.

I'm visualizing a 22 yr.old 5* recruit facing off against 30 year-old All Pros who aren't ready to concede their lucrative positions...

Donte Thornton is a 6'5 speedster.  Going to be a breakout year for him.  Right now he is flying under the radar a little bit due to the lack of creativity in our previous coaching staff's offense.   With Dillingham in charge they will design plays to get him the ball Georgia will need to keep an eye on him or he will burn you.   

Troy Franklin is also another name to know.  He is  6'3 very quick and just as capable of taking it to the house.  Another under utilized weapon that I expect to have a good day this weekend. 

You 'all  already know about Seven but Kris Hutson,  Chase Cota, and Caleb Chapman are all really high level players that can get open, make the catch, and get YAC. 

Oregon has a lot of weapons this year in the receiving corp as good as or better than Georgia (not counting Tight ends) so I'm telling you if you take us lightly thinking this is going to be just another win, you will not like the results.  

Your tight ends are from another planet so I don't really want to talk about them.  Hoping they miss the bus.  🙂 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 3

On 8/30/2022 at 8:51 PM, Quackerbacker said:

Your tight ends are from another planet so I don't really want to talk about them.  Hoping they miss the bus.  🙂 

Sadly, one of our best TE's will miss the bus.  #4 Junior TE Spencer Webb, killed in a climbing accident in July.  He might have been one of the best TE's in the nation.  He was certainly one of OBD's favorites.  I imagine the game will be dedicated to him - as it should be.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, SoGaDawg said:

you guys have so many talented young starters and impact players here.

True, but the coaches have bolstered youth with portal experience, especially at running back, wide receiver and corner. Bowers was one of my favorite players last year period. Your youth is as intimidating as ours, if not more so. 

How has Georgia played the portal?  Is Kirby in love with it like some, or just as a needs be option?

On 8/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, Washington Waddler said:

True, but the coaches have bolstered youth with portal experience, especially at running back, wide receiver and corner. Bowers was one of my favorite players last year period. Your youth is as intimidating as ours, if not more so. 

How has Georgia played the portal?  Is Kirby in love with it like some, or just as a needs be option?

Just like last season, we lost some talented players to the portal this year.  I’m finding in today’s game, that is a byproduct of recruiting at an elite level.  I think the number this year is 7 we’ve lost.  I don’t really blame the players, they are talented and want to play.  It can payoff for some, like DE Jermaine Johnson last year.  He went to FSU, balled out and got taken in the first round.  It will likely pay off for WR Jermaine Burton this season.  He will get more targets at Alabama than he would have at GA.  

Kirby will use the portal to fill needs, but not extensively.  Last season he got Tykee Smith a very good safety and CB Derion Kendrick who we really needed and he paid off.  We also got TE Arik Gilbert and he is looking very strong right now.  This season he hasn’t gotten any players from the portal that I can think of.  He did go after Calab Williams when he hit the portal, but that’s the only player I remember him pursuing.  

Edited by SoGaDawg
  • Thanks 1

Caleb was the only portal offer extended. We didn’t look at anyone else 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2022 at 3:34 PM, Washington Waddler said:

This season Smart didn’t take any portal transfers. Actually kind of nice that he has enough confidence in the recruited kids on the roster that he didn’t have to seek anything more. 

• Thanks 1