SoGaDawg

Question About Ducks O-Line

I’m a little conflicted in my expectations for Oregon’s O-line.  Every article I’ve read has been very positive when referring to Oregon’s O-line.  One list I remember even had Oregon rated in the top 5 in the nation. (Can’t remember the publisher).  And for the most part, the comments I’ve seen on this forum have been positive.  Some very positive.  

My conflict arises bc lately I’ve seen some exceptions.  I’ve read in some places and seen some posts that hint that the O-line might be overrated.  Some outright saying that last Season the O-line struggled against the better D-lines that they faced.  I watched Oregon when I could last year but honestly don’t remember if they struggled.  I’m only referring to the comments posted by those that I’m confident are Duck fans. 

My question is, what opinions do you guys have on this subject?  I’m certainly still leaning in the direction that they are very good.  

On a different thread I posted that Oregon’s O-line was experienced as every starter was at least a 5th year senior.  Pac 10again, pointed out sometimes the problem with 5th year seniors is they might not be an NFL talent, but it doesn’t matter unless going against elite players.  What do you guys think on this?  

Edited by Smith72
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From what I've read, especially regarding later last season, Oregon's offensive line play was not optimal for multiple reasons. There were a lot of injuries, Mario Cristobal checked out the last few games with his eyes on moving to Miami, and Mario`s plain vanilla offensive schemes put undue pressure on the offensive line. 

Regarding the latter point, Mario would try to pound the ball up the middle so often, just hoping that the sheer physicality of his line would open gaps, that defenses quickly learned to stack the box and stifle those plays. It doesn't look like Lanning and crew will suffer from Mario short-sidedness, and Oregon's offensive line appears to be pretty healthy and deep at this point. I've read a few of Charles Fischer's articles on this site that question the ability of Oregon's offensive tackles to effectively block pass rushes.

I don't have Charles'experience and expertise regarding such issues, but I've learned from experience that it's typically a good idea to trust his analyses.  

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Not only will scheme be different with Coach Dillingham, but Coach Klemm brings a whole lot of experience to coaching up the O line.  In my  humble opinion a major upgrade from Mr. Physicality and Mini- Me!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, CountryProf said:

From what I've read, especially regarding later last season, Oregon's offensive line play was not optimal for multiple reasons. There were a lot of injuries, Mario Cristobal checked out the last few games with his eyes on moving to Miami, and Mario`s plain vanilla offensive schemes put undue pressure on the offensive line.  Regarding the latter point, Mario would try to pound the ball up the middle so often, just hoping that the sheer physicality of his line would open gaps, that defenses quickly learned to stack the box and stifle those plays. It doesn't look like Lanning and crew will suffer from Mario short-sidedness, and Oregon's offensive line appears to be pretty healthy and deep at this point. I've read a few of Charles Fischer's articles on this site that question the ability of Oregon's offensive tackles to effectively block pass rushes. I don't have Charles'experience and expertise regarding such issues, but I've learned from experience that it's typically a good idea to trust his analyses.  

That makes sense.  Thank you both for responding.  

I can definitely see how Mario’s scheme could make it difficult for the O-line.  Dillingham’s scheme will be much better.  He will emphasize getting playmakers in space.  I think in the ground game instead of just trying to muscle and bully the D, he will use some gap schemes and zone blocking at times.  

Also plays to overload one side to maximize effective blocking such as pulling linemen.  Anything to create more blockers in front than defenders.  It should be effective at keeping the D more honest, especially when mixing in the pass.  He seems to be much better at choosing plays as a reaction to the sets and potential assignments of the defense as opposed to just attempting to bully between the tackles.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:44 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I can definitely see how Mario’s scheme could make it difficult for the O-line.

If Mario were still the coach, getting shut out would have been not only possible but probable. I can only wonder what Lanning has thought to himself after watching tape of that bizarrely predictable offense.

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the question on the OL is the Ducks have one solid center and four OG in it's top 5. If you add in the first two guys off the bench, it is one center and six OG.

Obviously, someone has to play OT. While not really horrible, the OT play at times has been at times... interesting? I think the hope is Bass, who appeared to be another OG, settles into the position and does well.

Jones, Sala, and Jaramillo all can play the position, the question is more "upside" with guys maybe not playing the spot they might be most fit for. Duck fans would love it if true freshman Conerly runs with that spot, but it is a big ask for a true frosh in game #1.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:11 PM, AnotherOD said:

I think the question on the OL is the Ducks have one solid center and four OG in it's top 5. If you add in the first two guys off the bench, it is one center and six OG.

Obviously, someone has to play OT. While not really horrible, the OT play at times has been at times... interesting?

Jones, Sala, and Jaramillo all can play the position, the question is more "upside" with guys maybe not playing the spot they might be most fit for. Duck fans would love it if true freshman Conerly runs with that spot, but it is a big ask for a true frosh in game #1.

The concern about handling elite edge rushers makes sense considering this.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm probably one that you've seen who park a little shade on the OL.  I agree with what has been said above.  Better coaching and better scheme can certainly improve upon what was arguably average O-line performance last season.  But I also agree with Charles that the linemen were stressed to some degree in confining strong rushes and rushers. 

I believe this especially holds true on pass protecting, particularly from the right side of the line.  I noted a few too many ole blocks.  To some extent, passing statistics reflect upon the linemen as well as the QB.  We had a bit substandard stats in that regard.

It's true that the starting lineup is a veteran group.  But as has been suggested about Bo Nix, this year, with the new coaching and scheme, there may or may not be improved performance.  And regarding the health of the line room....there have been multiple players missing from practice all through camp.   That's true even to today.

It's my hope that it all comes together for this group.  They certainly have the potential to power up on Saturday and get 'er done.  But they will be tasked by those monster Dawgs.  If Georgia's heat starts burning the Duck's O-line a little, beware of screens, flares, dumps, and rollouts by our guys...quick plays to negate Carter and Crew.  The Ducks are not going to overpower Georgia.  Other methods for success will be employed. 

All in all, I believe it is going to be a closer game than most folks think.  I hope for great play from both sides!

Edited by Mudslide
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes, I mean, Jones and Sala both are 340+ all day long (and Jaramillo is not a small dude). It wouldn't entirely shock me to hear Mario would take both at Miami right now and find a way to make it work - though that possibly doesn't mean the guys are a perfect fit for what the Ducks are going to want to do going forward.

Regardless of who plays, I think it's a veteran group who most likely won't be the factor the game totally hinges upon. But in a play-by-play analysis absolutely something to watch, and something that might be a key factor when breaking down the game if it ends up competitive 

On 8/30/2022 at 2:28 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I’m a little conflicted in my expectations for Oregon’s O-line. 

My question is, what opinions do you guys have on this subject?  I’m certainly still leaning in the direction that they are very good.  

They are.  This line has been together, shaped and molded by a team of coaches (not the least of whom was Mario Cristobal, himself a Miami Hurricane O lineman) and have played a lot of quality snaps together.

Injuries have kept some players from playing more but at this stage they are judged to be virtually all healthy including Alex Forsyth who may be one of the best Centers in the country.  Size & talent are important.  Experience is invaluable especially at the collegiate level where young men have (at best) about 4-5 years to learn the offense, gel together and scheme.  The Ducks have all three attributes as well as football smarts which comes largely by experience and training. 

Regardless of the outcome Saturday, (and I know your Dawgs are all these things too) Oregon's O-line will aquit themselves well.  It's the QB position that has us all concerned, I think.  Game On!

• Thanks 1

On 8/30/2022 at 8:41 PM, Mic said:

They are.  This line has been together, shaped and molded by a team of coaches (not the least of whom was Mario Cristobal, himself a Miami Hurricane O lineman) and have played a lot of quality snaps together.

Injuries have kept some players from playing more but at this stage they are judged to be virtually all healthy including Alex Forsyth who may be one of the best Centers in the country.  Size & talent are important.  Experience is invaluable especially at the collegiate level where young men have (at best) about 4-5 years to learn the offense, gel together and scheme.  The Ducks have all three attributes as well as football smarts which comes largely by experience and training. 

Regardless of the outcome Saturday, (and I know your Dawgs are all these things too) Oregon's O-line will aquit themselves well.  It's the QB position that has us all concerned, I think.  Game On!

I agree 100% that experience on the O-line is invaluable.  Especially if the lineman get that experience playing together.  If they can stay on the same page as far as blocking assignments, what they see, and how they read the defense, I think it makes for a much more productive O-line.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 8/30/2022 at 2:28 PM, SoGaDawg said:

I’m a little conflicted in my expectations for Oregon’s O-line.

I saw some plays last year that raised my eyebrows more than a bit so I think there's reason to question the assumptions on a plug and play O-line.  Coach Klemm (who I greatly respect) has the guys now and he is seemingly introducing some scheme shifts (with KD) that focus a bit more on the NFL style of O-line play.  He discusses it below at 6:15

Bottom line, what I saw last year wasn't guys messing up an assignment so much as guys that struggled to get the right kind of push and open holes when it counted.  His comments on lateral speed advantage are an apt criticism of PAC-12 playstyle.  I'm hoping that Klemm has improved their technique to the point that Georgia's D-line is going to get a bit of a surprise Saturday with Oregon's run game.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Last year I saw the O line pushed around by just about every team we played--they scare me.

Edited by 1Ducker1
  • Go Ducks! 1

Mario's scheme of trying to bully the middle, especially against a D like Georgia, would have been a colossal failure IMHO.

Ironically, he was smart enough to use the edges quite effectively against the Suckeyes only a year ago.

There are some big boys on the line at Oregon, but I am not sure the current super seniors have the foot speed a-la Sewell to make the pros. 

🍻 

On 8/31/2022 at 4:36 AM, Quackanadian said:

Ironically, he was smart enough to use the edges quite effectively against the Suckeyes only a year ago.

Pardon my tangent, but I have a working theory that the only game Mari allowed the OC to fully plan and execute (maybe be ever in 4 yrs) was tOSU game bc of the OC’s experience playing them at Penn State.  

It would explain why that game at the shoe was such an outlier and why the OC became so disgruntled. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Last year's OL wasn't bad... but our offensive scheme didn't help them. It wasn't like teams were going two deep safeties to defend us from going over the top. Not only did teams stack the box against the run, but they also knew on third down the deepest route ran would be just past the chains. 

So, they jumped any route close to the chains and they knew if they were going to get pressure on the QB they had to get there fast. 

I think we can run on UGA. Go back and watch the 2nd half of the UW game in the pouring rain. We just went straight to the run game and mauled them; I think I saw one missed block by the OL and WRs in the whole 2nd half. UW knew it was coming and couldn't stop it.

In the UGA game with a deeper passing game, a better passing game, the Ducks OL is going to open some holes against UGA. We ran for over 250 yards against OSU in the Shoe last year and broke the long Verdel TD. 

Pass protection is a bigger worry with UGA, but we can chip with the TE or RB on the edge guys if we have too. 

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Thanks 1

I’d like to again thank all you Ducks that responded to my questions.  Your posts have been helpful, interesting, and very enlightening.  

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually think the OL is the weak link in Oregon’s offense. They were impressive against Ohio State last year and that is because the DC refused to make adjustments. From that point on they failed to impress. None of them were very good in the Spring game, either. Tons of sacks and very few rushing yards. If UGA dominates them, it won’t surprise me. 

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

Speed is the key for the OL. 

If we get a run game going it will open up the passing game like last year against Ohio State. But Ohio States defense wast good at all and it showed. They were very slow on O&D lines much like we were against Utah twice.

Lanning mantra last year was "create chaos quickly" even by taking risk. Dan & Kenny will try and counter with screen passes and deep routes.