GatOrlando

Ohio State Impeding Further B1G Expansion?

WWW.OUTKICK.COM

Ohio State is reportedly the largest roadblock the Big Ten is facing for further expansion. Are the Buckeyes against more expansion?

Interesting read. I haven't been able to find anything else on this, but according to the above article it seems like a very powerful member of the B1G is against further expansion. It cites travel as one reason, but that makes little sense since USC and UCLA are already coming. I think the B1G will listen to them, but in time Ohio State will learn no one program is above the good of the conference.

• Thanks 1

Here we go... 

Looks like we might start seeing a push by Ohio State for some unequal media rights sharing. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The great college football schism is coming, and it will fracture college football in a way that will shake the...

If the B1G expands, then the escalator clause kicks in and could mean an even bigger revenue pie for the B1G. Is tOSU against expansion because it means a more difficult road to the playoffs?

• Like 1

On 8/31/2022 at 9:49 PM, HawaiiDuck said:

If the B1G expands, then the escalator clause kicks in and could mean an even bigger revenue pie for the B1G. Is tOSU against expansion because it means a more difficult road to the playoffs?

The playoffs are going to expand once there is two super leagues. The SEC was pushing for it last year which ironically might have kept USC in the Pac 12 had it happened. I believe USC saw the Pac 12 getting shut out of the playoffs as a big negative to it's continued involvement. There is an east coast bias as well. Now USC is in bed with the very conference who halted those expansion talks, they acted like they were in lockstep with the Pac and ACC. 

One other funny reason is Ohio State got quacked out by Oregon at home. Had they beaten you they might have let you in back in June. The Bucks fear the Quack attack. Just kidding. I feel like I did back in June/July, the Ducks will be in the B1G. It doesn't make sense to have only two west coast team a thousand plus miles away from the nearest team in Nebraska. 

Who else in the west makes sense above Oregon? Academics, fan base, football success, and you bring Nike. Phil Knight wants you in the B1G. We all know college football is not even hiding it's a business anymore. Oregon will be the next domino to fall. Utah may want to come along, but that's a long shot imo. Colorado, Utah, and the Arizona schools should take the Big 12 offer if it's there. Oregon, Washington, California and Stanford will be going to the B2G. Oregon State and Washington State will go somewhere.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 8:33 PM, David Marsh said:

Here we go... 

Looks like we might start seeing a push by Ohio State for some unequal media rights sharing. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The great college football schism is coming, and it will fracture college football in a way that will shake the...

I hope not. Ohio State has never acted out like this before to my knowledge. Now Texas and Notre Dame, that's a different story. Texas has joined a league they can't do that with. Notre Dame is the last program on that pedastal right now. 

All about the bottom line here IMHO, if the numbers are right I'm guessing their opposition goes away.  The conspiracist in me wonders if it is a ploy to get new potential members to accept an unequal share.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pure garbage.  Here is what the Ohio State University President said about expansion.

She is the one who has the say.  Not the AD.

Just thought I would help clear the air.  She is in favor of expansion.

• Thanks 2

Thank you for the Ohio State side. I saw the article and found it interesting that Ohio State would try to push their weight around when the wheels are already set in motion. The SEC isn't done adding people either. If there was an article coming out saying Florida was trying to stop expansion I wouldn't believe it. First of all no program is bigger then the conference. Secondly it's no longer regional. Hasn't been for over a decade now. The ACC is on the board next. Clemson, FSU are gonna be the next two targets.

On 9/1/2022 at 2:51 PM, airspace said:

She is in favor of expansion.

Actually, I didn't hear her favor or oppose "further" expansion.  

She appropriately used "president speak" to comment on the recent inclusion of USC & UCLA into into the BIG, and what those two schools bring to the table academically, while ever-so-slightly referencing athletics.  

The presidents statement was far from "the more-the-merrier" as the news anchor leads us to believe. 

That being said, I do find it difficult to believe tOSU would object to adding schools that would make the BIG a better and/or more profitable conference.  

• Like 1

Jester, back when they announced USC & UCLA to the Big Ten.  President Johnson made the statement that the Big Ten was not done expanding.  Many believed that was in reference to Notre Dame.

I am of the opinion it was not in reference to ND.  At that time, word was that Oregon and Washington had approached the Big Ten when they heard USC & UCLA to the Big Ten.  In the last week, word has come out that Oregon, and then Washington has had representatives meet with the Big Ten.

As I posted in an earlier thread & post, the Big Ten is slow when it comes to expansion.  They talk and they talk, they discuss and analyze the data.  This is what people in Academia do.  They try to come to a consensus.  Whenever you see a Big Ten vote, it is always unanimous when they announce it in public (even though in back rooms there may have been disagreement).

When Penn State was added, Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana were opposed.  It passed because Northwestern vote for it BUT on the condition that there was a pause on expansion (Texas came to the Big Ten at that time BUT the Big Ten honored Northwestern's request and paused).

It may seem like a long time.  But negotiations take time.  Look how long it took with USC and UCLA, months.

What people need to understand is that anyone coming to the Big Ten is buying into the Big Ten network.  Because of the LA market, USC & UCLA cover the buy in.  The reason for the buy in is over the first few years, Big Ten teams did not take any money but built equity.  When a new teams comes (Nebraska, Rutgers & Maryland) they bought in at a lessor amount to get an equal share of the network.

I can tell you based on the past, no school received less (usually more) than what it had in their old conference.  And usually the buy in is over about 5 years.  Escalates over the time period, ending in a full share.  This is part of what they are negotiating (has been in the past).

Also, even though USC & UCLA have been added, they don't have voting rights until they officially join the Big Ten.  And it also means that they do not have access to the Big Ten Academic Alliance (Academic arm of the Big Ten).

And I will leave you with this from 2013.

WWW.THEGAZETTE.COM

IOWA CITY – The Big Ten Conference boasts a financial model that no other college athletics association is willing to …

The 117-year-old league, of which the University of Iowa is a member, shares television and postseason revenue like many conferences. But the Big Ten also splits its football gate receipts from league games, a step devoid of other conferences. Thirty-five percent of Big Ten home gate receipts - with a $1 million cap and a $300,000 floor - goes to the league office. From there it's distributed into 12 equal pieces.

For Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta, sharing gate receipts is just one component of a much-larger revenue share within the conference.

“It's an all-in,” Barta said. “You can't fairly evaluate one without looking at the big picture. We choose to share revenue. There are areas where Iowa probably is a giver and there are areas where Iowa probably is a taker. In the long run, we all benefit.

“It's tempting to take one piece and want to evaluate it. But the only way to do it is to evaluate the conference as a whole.”

This is why the Big Ten will not have uneven revenue sharing where one school (Ohio State) will get more than another school (Indiana). Sorry to be long, just want to give you an idea of what you may be getting into.

Good luck.

• Salute 1
  • Great post! 1

On 9/1/2022 at 2:20 PM, airspace said:

he 117-year-old league, of which the University of Iowa is a member, shares television and postseason revenue like many conferences. But the Big Ten also splits its football gate receipts from league games, a step devoid of other conferences. Thirty-five percent of Big Ten home gate receipts - with a $1 million cap and a $300,000 floor - goes to the league office. From there it's distributed into 12 equal pieces.

For Iowa Athletics Director Gary Barta, sharing gate receipts is just one component of a much-larger revenue share within the conference.

“It's an all-in,” Barta said. “You can't fairly evaluate one without looking at the big picture. We choose to share revenue. There are areas where Iowa probably is a giver and there are areas where Iowa probably is a taker. In the long run, we all benefit.

“It's tempting to take one piece and want to evaluate it. But the only way to do it is to evaluate the conference as a whole.”

This is why the Big Ten will not have uneven revenue sharing where one school (Ohio State) will get more than another school (Indiana). Sorry to be long, just want to give you an idea of what you may be getting into.

Good luck.

For now anyways... I am sure there will come a time where the bigger powers at be will want to change things. I'm not saying it happens this year or next year but there will come a time when there is a push for unequal revenue sharing. 

Again thanks for the perspective, airspace.

Interesting to note that although USC will most certainly be opposed to Oregon's addition, they don't have a say just yet.  That just adds to the sense of urgency, and I'm guessing that as you suggest these talks may be a lot further along than they appear.

Personally I think it happens and that makes me both sad and excited.  There have been some amazing P12/B1G matchups in the Rose Bowl over the years, and granted we'll get more of those in the regular season, but the Rose Bowl will never be the same.  That said B1G membership would bring financial stability and a seat at the big table.  We're headed for a Power 2 that controls the CFP and anyone outside those conferences is really going to have a difficult time being relevant.  

Edited by noDucknewby

On 9/1/2022 at 5:20 PM, airspace said:

Jester, back when they announced USC & UCLA to the Big Ten.  President Johnson made the statement that the Big Ten was not done expanding.  Many believed that was in reference to Notre Dame.

I am of the opinion it was not in reference to ND.  At that time, word was that Oregon and Washington had approached the Big Ten when they heard USC & UCLA to the Big Ten.  In the last week, word has come out that Oregon, and then Washington has had representatives meet with the Big Ten.

As I posted in an earlier thread & post, the Big Ten is slow when it comes to expansion.  They talk and they talk, they discuss and analyze the data.  This is what people in Academia do.  They try to come to a consensus.  Whenever you see a Big Ten vote, it is always unanimous when they announce it in public (even though in back rooms there may have been disagreement). When Penn State was added, Michigan, Wisconsin and Indiana were opposed.  It passed because Northwestern vote for it BUT on the condition that there was a pause on expansion (Texas came to the Big Ten at that time BUT the Big Ten honored Northwestern's request and paused).

It may seem like a long time.  But negotiations take time.  Look how long it took with USC and UCLA, months.

What people need to understand is that anyone coming to the Big Ten is buying into the Big Ten network.  Because of the LA market, USC & UCLA cover the buy in.  The reason for the buy in is over the first few years, Big Ten teams did not take any money but built equity.  When a new teams comes (Nebraska, Rutgers & Maryland) they bought in at a lessor amount to get an equal share of the network.

I can tell you based on the past, no school received less (usually more) than what it had in their old conference.  And usually the buy in is over about 5 years.  Escalates over the time period, ending in a full share.  This is part of what they are negotiating (has been in the past).

Also, even though USC & UCLA have been added, they don't have voting rights until they officially join the Big Ten.  And it also means that they do not have access to the Big Ten Academic Alliance (Academic arm of the Big Ten).

And I will leave you with this from 2013.

WWW.THEGAZETTE.COM

IOWA CITY – The Big Ten Conference boasts a financial model that no other college athletics association is willing to …

The 117-year-old league, of which the University of Iowa is a member, shares television and postseason revenue like many conferences. But the Big Ten also splits its football gate receipts from league games, a step devoid of other conferences. Thirty-five percent of Big Ten home gate receipts - with a $1 million cap and a $300,000 floor - goes to the league office. From there it's distributed into 12 equal pieces.

Good luck.

airspace - Not long at all, and appreciate your perspective!

As a Penn State guy, I wish you the best of luck with the Irish this weekend.  I just don't care for them. 

Ducks fans, it may sound funny, but the #5 Irish are a bigger underdog against the #2 Buckeyes than UO is against GA.    

There was an article (The Athletic maybe?) that quoted some high level Iowa officials (president or some such title) that they were opposed to expansion because they would take less from the current deal.  

I think that’s the roadblock.  OSU (refuse to add the ‘t’ because reasons) would, in my view be very pro expansion 

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:53 AM, CalBear95 said:

OSU (refuse to add the ‘t’ because reasons) would, in my view be very pro expansion 

In the immortal words of Don Rickles----Thee not tho thy.

Edited by 1Ducker1