Charles Fischer

Have a Complaint About the Advertising?

If you have questions about why we added advertising on both sites, then do read this short post explaining. We are getting things refined with it, as we actually had ads inside of posts originally on the forum, and then yesterday afternoon they were being placed in between posts, which I think is a ton better. 

I like how with some of the open space between posts (due to the ads) we can see bits of the background picture if you are on laptop or desktop.  I will admit that the ads are a bit congested on mobile, and the page is not loading as fast as I'd like.  Again...we are working on that.

For laptop/desktop...you see a big banner ad at the top placed right on top of my background photo, and we are going to be tweaking that so we can see both.  Again, sorry to do this, (bringing in ads) but I've incurred thousands of dollars in additional, unplanned expenses with the two sites.  I do appreciate your tolerance.

If you have conflicts going on with your screen--weird stuff happening....please post here or email me and let me know: what kind of devise, (mobile, laptop, pad or desktop) the operating system, and the browser you are using.  I am sincere in trying to get this right.  Email is charles@fishduck.com

My thanks to you all,

Charles

giphy.gif

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Ha! I think the new ads are a bit humorous. For the record, I am a huge fan of the advertisement business, because it subsidizes American sports and entertainment. Most of my friends and family are highly educated, but it seems like they don't know how all of the media bills are getting paid. Everyone wants "free" content. I can't even completely blame the younger generations- my father is 78 years-old, and he mutes the sound on his TV during all commercials or when listening to the radio (he still looks at the screen, so I don't know how he's winning that "stick-it-to-them" battle).

Anyway, I have Windows 10 (not a fan of newer versions nor non-mobile Apple products). When I use fishduck.com I get an ad across the top banner, an ad at the bottom (or above a comment like now), and an ad in the middle that follows you until you close it. I've never minded the route companies went when the made more space for ads using open sidebars. I don't care for one second if companies know my buying habits or whatnot. What is everyone hiding with all of these "privacy" cries? But fishduck.com doesn't have sidebars, so this is what we've got. I think one ad is fine on one page at a time. Easy to see and close. The rest of it makes it seem like that "free money" infomercial guy in the question mark suits. 

info.jpg

• Thanks 1

Look, I'm allowed to read interesting posts, articles, and reply all for free.  Complaining about a few ads is like getting a free Rib-eye steak and complaining it wasn't quite hot enough.  So go to the other sights and listen to the ad free mindless drivel. 

Edited by Pac10again

On 9/1/2022 at 3:09 PM, Pac10again said:

So go to the other sights and listen to the ad free mindless drivel. 

Or in most cases really... the subscription mindless drivel... or just a less inclusive atmosphere. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Ads?  I thought those were just ewe dubers who didn't know how to post.

• Haha 2

My problem is I am buying too many shoes, a camper I didn't need, sign up for another brokerage account, started taking nalozone, don't even know what it is, joined a health club I will never visit, and will have to stop frequenting this site because the ads are so effective. I do hope you are more than paying the bills. You deserve it!

The only real problem I have is sometimes I am not sure if the ads are just something funny a member has posted or an ad, not a real problem.

A feature I really do like is how the ads are placed in between posts, and not in them.  As we scroll, we have a second or so before the ad loads, and we have the picture in the background and can see more of it.  Very cool to me!

Mr. FishDuck

Anyone who actually thinks anything is "free," needs to check in with Mr. Reality. 

And, in my humble opinion, anyone who has an issue with these tasteful ads should seriously consider buying a paid subscription to some subpar board and get content and comments that are nowhere near as good as what we find here.

That's my $0.02 for the morning, and I'm sticking to it. 

GO DUCKS!

• Thanks 1