1Ducker1

Whoa! Big CFP 12-Team Playoff News

Tweets have been disappearing, so I wanted you to see an image of it so you know for certain the BIG news...

Playoff News.jpg

This is HUGE news for the Pac-10 since the format currently includes the Top 6 ranked conference winners and 6 at large bids.  It would be highly unlikely that the Pac-10 winner would not be in that Top 6.

Now that there is a clear path to the playoff for the PAC, does that help stabilize things?  I think so.  If the Pac-12 can get creative and get the revenue closer to $45-50M per school, that might just save the conference.

Is UCLA going to be the biggest loser in all of conference realignment?  I could see a path where that ends up being the case. 

Yes, great for the P12 champ but I don't see how it changes the equation in the long run.  The at-large bids are going to be dominated by the Power 2.  I'm figuring the B!G/SEC each put 3 at-large teams in, ergo a 4th place finish in those conferences is better than a second place finish in the P12.  Plus our conference champ would have to be in the top 4 to get that first critical first-round bye.

This is a huge improvement no doubt, but for us the best chance to stay relevant long term remains B!G membership.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2022 at 2:43 PM, noDucknewby said:

Yes, great for the P12 champ but I don't see how it changes the equation in the long run.  The at-large bids are going to be dominated by the Power 2.  I'm figuring the B!G/SEC each put 3 at-large teams in, ergo a 4th place finish in those conferences is better than a second place finish in the P12.  Plus our conference champ would have to be in the top 4 to get that first critical first-round bye.

This is a huge improvement no doubt, but for us the best chance to stay relevant long term remains B!G membership.

I agree that if you get the BIG invite, you have to take it.  The money matters, especially when it starts getting distributed to the players.  However, if you don't get that invite, you still have a path to the playoff every year.  HUGE news for Oregon and probably strengthens their hand a little right now.    

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2022 at 2:54 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I agree that if you get the BIG invite, you have to take it.  The money matters, especially when it starts getting distributed to the players.  However, if you don't get that invite, you still have a path to the playoff every year.  HUGE news for Oregon and probably strengthens their hand a little right now.    

I agree with what you're saying in the sense that if we win the P12 we're in.  That's a lot more achievable than going undefeated or even 12-1.

I should have worded my statement a little differently in that it really doesn't change our "strategy" rather than "the equation".  Not to be a Debbie Downer here, but I just see the $ gap translating to a talent gap that gets wider each year and is reinforced by Power 2 championships.  For us it just makes it progressively harder to stay relevant as a member of the P12.

Don't' get me wrong, I'm thrilled in the short-term but long-term I feel our situation remains relatively unchanged.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Thumbs Up 2

I see this in part as a response to not only media $$$ but also NIL payouts favoring those same Power 2 programs (I hesitate to say schools, as college football may no longer include the word 'college') and the CFP committee not wanting to lose total control over the process.

Out of favor conferences like the ACC, Big12, Pac(?#) and the mid-majors will at least have a fighting chance of landing at least one team in the CFP. Alabama may have clobbered Cincinnati in the semis, but at least they made it there and it was worth watching to see if David could win over Goliath.

Whether Oregon scoots to the BIG or stays to lead a revamped PAC, this can't hurt.

• Thumbs Up 1

I recognize that the playoff expansion appears to create momentary stability to the Pac-12 and Oregon. However, the 'Conference of Champions" will dissolve if/when the BigTen makes another raid from our ranks. That raid will most likely include the acquisition of Oregon, which would create the stability most associated with the university are seeking. However, the thought of this scenario unfold is upsetting, and I hope that another path emerges for the university.

The last thing I want to see is for Oregon to go to the BigTen, which will alleviate travel concerns of the two school that bolted for 'green pasture$' earlier this summer. I want to see those schools budget trips for men's and women's water polo, tennis, basketball, etc. That will eat away from the revenue increase. Furthermore, I don't want to see Oregon help the BigTen conference create its 'west wing' and gain a media monopoly on Saturdays, with games starting at 9am and run all the way 7pm on all the major tv networks. If/when Oregon invited to join they would be playing out the very narrative that the BigTen conceived. 

Oregon can strike a blow at the BigTen, USC, and UCLA by not being reactionary. I know, its just a 'pipe dream', but I would love nothing more than Oregon would help initiate the creation of a third power conference. Unite the best university from the ACC, PAC, and Big XII. I realize a lot of dominos would have to fall in order, such Clemson, Florida St., Miami all shunning an impending invitation from a very seductive SEC. But with a merger of the top colleges from the ACC, PAC, and Big XII, I would think that money from media outlets would dramatically increase for all members. The questions would then be, would it be enough. If the answer is yes, then that might be enough to keep the elite ACC teams out of the SEC since the pathway to playoff would be much easier. 

Like I said...just a 'pipe dream.' I would hate to see the Pac-12 die with the Ducks moving to the BigTen. I realize it can't survive much longer, so I would much rather it merge and blossom into something new.

• Great post! 1

Legion, the only downside to your plan is that it leaves the lower tier teams of those three conferences in the dung heap.  They are resigned to the Mountain West or worse, thus we are doing to them what was done to us.

But I see no way without someone being hurt in our pursuit of achieving what is best for the Ducks in all this.

Fantastic first post and I hope you will post your thoughts more often.  WELCOME!

Mr. FishDuck

Fresh off the FishDuck Feed, here are 2 interesting articles to add to this discussion.

This first article tells what a 12-team playoff would've looked like in recent seasons:

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

The CFP field is expanding in the near future. So naturally, it's time to take a look into the past, at what could've been.

This article has some questions relating to this new ruling:

WWW.FOXSPORTS.COM

Expanding the playoff is a move that changes the sport for the better, but it leaves questions, too, writes RJ Young.