DazeNconfused

Can Bo Nix Shake His Bad Rap? – OBD Forum Exclusive Article

This article is content you will only find in the OBD Forum, where you can also only find the FishDuck Feed.

The answer to the Bo Nix riddle that we have long discussed is upon us Duck fans! Before dinner time Saturday will we be pumping our fists or wringing our hands over Nix?

Nix has struggled in his three games against the Dawgs, losing all three meetings by a combined score of 82-30. He has thrown for one touchdown, two interceptions and been sacked seven times. He also hasn’t been able to stretch the field against Georgia, while completing 56% of his passes.

2022-07-31_19-06-49.thumb.png.40afe545534df86ca46d8a575545b36a.png

Nix, and Duck fans are hoping things change this Saturday. There are some key things Nix will have to show he has improved on to have success against the Dawgs this Saturday. He needs to play with a calmer, more patient demeanor. He is surrounded with the best offensive line he has had in his career, and he has the skill players he needs to make the offense go. 

Nix needs to protect the ball and avoid feeling like he must extend the plays with his feet and carry the team. When he plays that way, he tends to make mistakes. He can embrace that he can throw the ball away and move onto to the next play. These little changes will lead to Nix finishing more drives with points.

2022-07-31_19-16-05.thumb.png.a214d1c05b08419240260a1427933a0f.png

Being a ball distributor should put less pressure on Nix. Getting through his reads, while staying in the pocket while the deeper routes develop, is another key area. Nix needs to set his feet and drive the ball down the field with confidence.  

The table is set for Nix, this is his chance to show that he can beat you from the pocket. Big-time QBs make big-time throws and it’s time for him to hit them against Georgia.

What's success for Bo Nix going to look like?

If Nix has NFL aspirations, then he must show he can beat you with his arm to any part of the field. If he does that, I’m looking for him to throw for 300 yards and three touchdowns… that’s when Nix shakes his bad rap. 

Duck fans do you think Bo Nix will make the big-time throws this Saturday?

• Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

A big component in this is our defense....why?  Because if nothing is open, then he can have the confidence to throw it away on 3rd down and not try to force something--when our defense is holding the Bulldogs.

I sincerely believe that running the ball on the Ducks is going to be harder than Georgia thinks.  If this comes down to a "who can pass the ball better" type of game...might that favor Our Beloved Ducks?

A BIG stuff on 3rd down....

Noah Sewell_Tom Corno (2).jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

That's a great point Charles! Bo has lots to work with on offense and a defense to lean on. 

Bo put himself into a great situation transferring to Oregon.

I think Bo is going to do very good tomorrow, we may not win but I think we can get at least 450 plus total yards. We have talent on both sides too.

Let's put a Bo on this one! The comment about the defense's impact is a key. Will Bo nix the reckless throw because he knows the defense will take care of things and get the ball back? 

I'm hoping he feels much more confident in his OL than he ever did at AU. If so, I believe the game will slow down for him, plays will be made, and points will be scored. Hopefully a few more than Georgia. Go Ducks!!

We still don't know if he is even starting yet. I heard some rumors that TT was nipping at his heals in fall camp and that was why DL didn't name a QB.

UG and everyone else thinks it's Nix and it won't be. That will be the first shocking thing of many tomorrow.

But if it's Bo I believe he's going to do fine. He's did everything he could to be ready for this moment 😉.

On 9/2/2022 at 12:59 PM, Charles Fischer said:

If this comes down to a "who can pass the ball better" type of game...might that favor Our Beloved Ducks?

I share this view 100%.  Oregon needs to get Georgia's offense into a pass necessity state.  There are some specific challenges with that and they are some of the best TE's in CFB.  

On the Oregon offense side Oregon needs to throw the ball well to open up the run.  This is a lot harder than going the other way.  The specific challenge with that is the disguised pressure scheme.  You can double team a known threat, how do you cover pressure you don't know is coming?  The RB can pick up some but not if he's sent on a wheel route.  

The answer I think is make Georgia use it's spy for tackles.  If Bo picks up the unblocked pressure staying in the pocket is also called a sack unless he can throw just before getting hit.  Do that enough and you will eventually throw a pick or three.  Sometimes your best bet is to take the little that's offered and play for the next down where you might pick up the pressure and connect downfield.      

• Great post! 1

"Can Bo Nix Shake His Bad Rap?"

Sure he "can." But we'll find out in about 12 hours if he will.

GO DUCKS!

In answering this question, I’ll assume that his bad rap is based on the occasional (some say too often) lapse in decision making when trying to channel his inner-Favre. 

Can he shake it, yes.  What helps it squelch it – winning.  Just like it was it was in the scorpion’s nature to sting, thus dooming himself and the frog, being a playmaker is in Bo’s nature.  I considered referring to Bo as a gunslinger, but that’s usually reserved as a descriptor for QB’s with howitzers for right arms.  Bo doesn’t really check’s that box, but there’s no denying his desire to be a playmaker. 

Of all fanbases, the Oregon fanbase should know this best.  Going 13 of 31 with 2 interceptions would typically be registered as being just plain awful but can be easily overlooked when you toss a 26-yard game winning pass with nine seconds left.  Toward the end of that game, Bo was balancing on the razor’s edge of having what could only have been described as a disastrous debut, to being Johnny Clutch - Future Legend.  A college football playmaker was born.   

If Bo gets under center on Oregon’s initial possession, I’ll trust that the UO staff is fully aware of Bo’s tendencies and have decided that he still gives the Ducks to best chance of winning.  In Lanning & Co. I trust. 

While we are arm-chair quarterbacking, let’s be fair.  Let’s be sure we count the number of plays Bo extends with his legs and makes with his arm as we hold our breath until “Uh-Oh, Bo” comes out to play.

We’re pulling for you Playmaker!

P.S.  Ty, if you get the starting nod, we’re pulling for you too, big guy.  Go Ducks!

Asked and answered.

• Thumbs Up 1

Duck fans do you think Bo Nix will make the big-time throws this Saturday?

Uhhhh……….no.

• Haha 1

image.png.105d8c26376d8b7e9cf996ba59109ce6.png

Ok, burning the bandwagon... I'll eat major Crow on this game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2022 at 4:13 PM, Duckdude said:

Uhhhh……….no.

I will say that in the midst of the pain, I am finding some good humor around here.

• Thumbs Up 1

He was awful. Without those two demoralizing picks and with Oregon scoring…we still would have lost given the lack of tackling but we would have competed. Time to play Butterfield or Thompson. 

On 9/3/2022 at 4:37 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

image.png.105d8c26376d8b7e9cf996ba59109ce6.png

Ok, burning the bandwagon... I'll eat major Crow on this game.

Okay... that's just downright hilarious. But that picture is about the equivalent of a 49-3 opening season loss.

• Thumbs Up 1