Charles Fischer

Oregon/Georgia GameDay Thread!

So, if there is not a new QB for the second half, does that mean that the talent gap to Thompson and Butterfield is really much larger than we think?

It's really important people not lose context.

This is a home game for Georgia and the first game of season for an insanely keyed up crowd.  And they are playing last year's national champions.

Remember that Smart has had years to build his roster to exactly what he wanted (it is easy to forget that Georgia had some big bumps on the road to where they are now).

The Ducks are in transition (talented but moving from one scheme mentality to another) and their 'veteran' QB starts the game throwing two really bad INTs which is a huge blow to a team that is really pretty young and doesn't know who they are.

It doesn't mean there should not be critiques, etc.  But Smart is playing with his team.  Lanning is playing with parts of Mario's and hasn't yet had the runway to build the confidence, culture, and toughness that comes with experience in these games and in winning tough games.

The Ducks are very likely a lot better than they are showing here.  Bo's INTs likely sapped whatever confidence they had they could hang with the Dawgs.  

Take what you need from this game and turn the page.  

Edited by CalBear95
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oregon’s defense is putrid. Can this team EVER tackle?

• Thumbs Up 1

Pac-12 football reality is a real bummer. 

But I think Oregon can still win around nine games... so that's a nice consolation price. 

Alamo Bowl --- here we come!

Edited by Desert Duck

Guys you’ll have to give Lanning time. He understands the blueprint to get Oregon there. We have a very very good team but I have no doubt Lanning is the right hire for Oregon. He’s learned from the best. We went 8-5 and lost to Vanderbilt Kirby’s first year.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow, defense seems lost. Surprised to say the least. I really thought with Lanning's previous accomplishments we would be better on that side of the ball.

Edited by John Charles

On 9/3/2022 at 5:03 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

ya well thats not funny to me

Sorry bro. 
I was trying to compliment. Burnout offense is really fast. Across the board fast, not just skill guys but not the hogs too.  Gotta be in down here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, Mario is having a "last laugh" moment now coz his team managed to win at tOSU...  Also sad that this seems to be a continuation of the bad team at the end of last season - 4th blowout loss in 5 games.

If any bright side - this game is good for my bp, as there is absolutely no hope for OBD.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, Desert Duck said:

Alamo Bowl --- here we come!

Hoping for being on the other side of that 2015 game?  🙂

See what Oregon can do with adjustments. Win the second half and get inside the spread. 

Super hopeful I  know. Oregon came out scared and soft. Lanning did not have his team prepared at all. 

On 9/3/2022 at 2:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

Offense is better than defense so far

Hmmm... I'm not so sure. At the half, Offense put up a whopping 3 points so far. And the defense has given up 28 points.

I'd say it's pretty much a tie regarding which one is most horrid. 

Lanning did say it would take around 5 years of "watering the bamboo before it grows" (or something along that line.)

Edited by Annie
  • Haha 1

We can clearly see that the Ducks should stay in the PAC--not even a clue on defense. Then Bo throwing 2 interceptions already--Jeebuss-- I know Ga is a great team but the Ducks are not even on the field close to where the ball is. I dont have a problem with losing this game as I expected it but the Coordinator's dont even know how to put our guys in position.

My first prediction was 40 to 21 but fear its going to be 56 to maybe 12--bad showing for a billion $$$ school.

• Thumbs Up 2

On the positive side, it looks like I'll be able to get to some of those projects on my list this afternoon.

So I guess I should be thankful for that.

I see a lot of angst on this board.  I know I sound like a broken record when I say this but I encourage you to step back, breathe, and understand this is going to be a tough game.

The team's confidence is shattered.  You will only shatter your own well being by being upset in real-time by what is going on.  

Demoralized kids start to play poorly.  It is what it is: one game.  Yeah, it would have been nice if the Ducks (and really Bo) had not come out this way but they did. 

Some possible silver linings:

This opens up room for time for some folks (like Ty perhaps) and get them experience they would not have other wise have OR this likely ends the Bo experiment which carried the risk of being a ticking time bomb over who should play as the season progressed (not to mention another performance like this in a game that really counts).

Be easy, it's healthier for you 🙂 

Edited by CalBear95

0 pass rush

just like I thought 

as long as we beat the Huskies and make a bowl I’ll be happy.

7-5 here we come!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:58 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

There were 4 Ducks on Stetson and yet they couldn't bring him down. What on earth?!

They had Stetson Bennett dead to rights on that play, one of them even had his hands around his waist and STILL blew the tackle.

If I were DL or Tosh, I’d be benching players now for backups that will actually finish a tackle. There’s no use in staying on your assignment only to consistently blow it by not bringing your target down. That’s just inexcusable.

*edit: that was Jamal Hill. It feels like a lot of the missed tackles are by DBs so far.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2022 at 2:05 PM, RedNBlack4life said:

Guys you’ll have to give Lanning time. He understands the blueprint to get Oregon there. We have a very very good team but I have no doubt Lanning is the right hire for Oregon. He’s learned from the best. We went 8-5 and lost to Vanderbilt Kirby’s first year.

Gosh... thanks so much for the encouragement. That's just great news. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon will be fine. This game they came out lost and scared. It first game against the defending champs. Everything is new for Oregon. Time mends all wounds.

See how lanning handles second half will be more revealing than how the first half played out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:18 PM, Sigh001 said:

We play like this going forward (with a complete lack of basic technique) and we’ll be lucky to have a 7-win season. 

Remember though, the good news is that we play in the Pac-12 so we probably will do okay.

• Haha 1

OK so that didn't go well. My thoughts are the offense does look better,  there's better movement and at least some variety. Bo is Bo, we all knew that. They missed some opportunities to put points up. 

The defense,  my goodness is still terrible.  Bad tacking, angles, no fight. You think we can get Allioti to come out of retirement? Just kidding. 

Can someone please explain why Twikease Bridges is playing at all on this team. He's a terrible corner, I don't get it at all. 

I want to see if Lanning makes any adjustments at all in the second half. 

Feels a lot like recent years...false starts, dumb penalties, really poor tackling, can't throw more than 4 yards down the field.  The tackling part is really surprising with Lanning and company on board.  Nix...still makes bad throws against good opponents.  It's time to build for the future with Thompson/Butterfield.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:19 PM, CalBear95 said:

I see a lot of angst on this board.  I know I sound like a broken record when I say this but I encourage you to step back, breathe, and understand this is going to be a tough game.

The team's confidence is shattered.  You will only shatter your own well being by being upset in real-time by what is going on.  

Demoralized kids start to play poorly.  It is what it is: one game.  Yeah, it would have been nice if the Ducks (and really Bo) had not come out this way but they did. 

Some possible silver linings:

This opens up room for time for some folks (like Ty perhaps) and get them experience they would not have other wise have OR this likely ends the Bo experiment which carried the risk of being a ticking time bomb over who should play as the season progressed (not to mention another performance like this in a game that really counts).

Be easy, it's healthier for you 🙂 

Sage advice and hurts a little less.

We want Thompson.🎵

Along with many of you, I bought into the DL hype for an aggressive, active, potent defense.  And it's clear that the back 4/5 is the weakest link...either that or their coaching.  I'll give the man and team time to show improvement...remembering that this is a potent Georgia offense.  Hopefully it all comes together next week.  This game is in the books.

Rats.

I am seeing RED again...it feels/looks like Utah all over. Joking aside, this says more about Georgia that Oregon. Georgia is elite...Oregon a work in progress.

For Oregon, everything is still in front of them for the year. Nothing more will be loss on the season other than this game Offensive is moving the ball, I know the defense will come around.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm trying to keep the lows high and the highs low.

The problem is the lack of highs.

Double post. Site seems wonky.

Edited by jrw

"No heroes needed, just play your game."  He should have been yelling that in Bo's ear.

After suffering through A. Brown last year—after the coaches so stubbornly refused to give the other guys a chance—I’m not sure I can go through that again. Bo Nix is what he is. He’s had flashes of brilliance with a lot of stupid errors all throughout his career. We’ve seen his ceiling. If DL and this coaching staff stick with Nix, I’m going to have a lot of free time on Saturdays this fall.

Edited by CO Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

I will be rooting for Georgia to go undefeated,  B2B titles. And Oregon wins 10 plus bowl game.

• Thumbs Up 1

For the Oregon defense it is as Yogi Berra said "Déjà vu all over again". Can't cover the the receivers, poor tackling.  Can't stop 3rd and long. 

Bo Nix is as advertised, too many poor decisions.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Why has Nix not been nixed?

Maybe so Ty’s confidence doesn’t get crushed by this D? 

I suspect later in the game when the starters are out?

Edited by CalBear95
  • Thumbs Up 1

3rd and 11 and we run the ball???

what? bo nix kick??!

• Thumbs Up 1

Running it on 3rd and long looks to me like DL is losing confidence in Bo Nix

• Thumbs Up 1

Georgia scores here and put in TT. Concerning how the D is showing. 5 pos 5 td. Horrible 

Nix is hors de combat.  They are going to let him get abused because why let next week’s starting QB lose confidence 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, WaterPoloDuck said:

Why has Nix not been nixed?

Patience. I think we're right on the edge of Nix leading us to a huge comeback.

Wait for it. 

• Haha 1

The suspense is killing me . . . does Georgia have a punter?

• Haha 1

We are as outmatched as we were in 63-0 loss at Nebraska in 1985.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, CalBear95 said:

Nix is hors de combat.  They are going to let him get abused because why let next week’s starting QB lose confidence 

History truly does repeat itself. That's the exact same stuff we were saying last year.

Is Tosh calling the plays on defense or Lanning?  Lanning may need to call the shots.  Our players are all out of position.  Did Sewell even get a tackle yet?

Will Oregon score more than the 10 point average given up by Georgia last season?

Speak of the devil, Sewell with the tackle, if you can call it that.

Sewell has tackles, where is Flowe?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 2:47 PM, Desert Duck said:

History truly does repeat itself. That's the exact same stuff we were saying last year.

I really don’t think DL is going to visit the sins of the father on this team.  

Bo has shown he hasn’t progressed.  DL doesn’t strike me at all to be as stubborn as Mario.  

He can’t risk losing this team.  

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't believe I've ever seen the Ducks miss so many  tackles, and that's saying something.

• Thumbs Up 2

On a separate note, I really hope Stetson Bennett wins the Heisman and GA repeats as National Champions. That will bring some much needed vindication to OBD.