Desert Duck

Oregon Might Not Be Top-20

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking the Ducks might fall out of the Top-20. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

They should fall completely out. They played the role of🧁 today.

At least we will have more realistic expectations going forward.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unfortunately, we'd be be lucky to sniff the Top-50 right now. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am more interested in how this team responds. How this coaching staff responds. This is where you pay your dues. See what kind of grit Lanning is made of.

Ducks got curb stomped badly, not a good look. Dawgs are either WOW, or Oregon has some serious problems.  I am rooting for the Dawgs on this point.

In a couple days, it wouldn't surprise me if Kirby and Lanning have a extended chat. Smart wants Lanning to succeed. 

I think Oregon is going to be ok. That's a brutal first game. Short memory is in order. Move on coach.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 5

We'll definitely do fine... in PAC-12 competition. 

On 9/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am more interested in how this team responds.

While I agree with you, I have some concern that the team is not as "resilient" as Lanning stated they are in his post game shorty radio interview. They looked stunned all game long, and I didn't see measurable adjustments at the half. Helloooo...tackling?? Sheesh!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:18 PM, DimpleDucks said:

While I agree with you, I have some concern that the team is not as "resilient" as Lanning stated they are in his post game shorty radio interview. They looked stunned all game long, and I didn't see measurable adjustments at the half. Helloooo...tackling?? Sheesh!

BYU game sure looks daunting. I tackled better in the 7th grade. Yea, next couple days will be interesting.

Started the wrong QB and running back. Worst defensive performance in recent history. They just Nixed the season for me.

On 9/3/2022 at 4:23 PM, Log Haulin said:

BYU game sure looks daunting. I tackled better in the 7th grade. Yea, next couple days will be interesting.

BYU up 28-0 at the end of the first quarter.  233 yards of offense in nine minutes of possession.

That was a debacle for the team. It was a debacle for the fans, a debacle for the coaches and players, a debacle for recruiting, a debacle for the PAC.

It completely reinforces the national reputation of the Ducks; flashy, but soft, especially when it counts. Gonna be a lot of laughing going on in rival fan bases, lots of laughing.

But, there's nowhere to go but up, and actions going forward will speak a lot louder than anything anyone connected with the program can say. One game this bad is way too small a sample size to make any real assessments; gotta see what changes going forward. I sure hope a lot.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not a good look for Dan and Ken.

Should have put another qb after half time.

To me they look disorganized and not ready to play.

260 pound linebacker was slow today and a zero factor and I love him.

Im not that confident now against Eastern WA.

Rankings prior to 5 weeks in are stupid and pointless.  

Complete domination by Georgia.  APP State would have put up more of a fight.  It feels like a rebuilding year to open the season.  I was expecting DL to make a bigger splash in his debut as HC and put his stamp on this game.

Was it just a matter of our players being outmatched and overwhelmed or were our coaches, outcoached from start to finish?

I tend to think both.  On defense, the guys struggled all game long to tackle, but they also were nowhere near the ball to make a play. 

No silver lining to take away from this game

• Thumbs Up 1

We don’t deserve to be ranked. This game is a continuation of the two Utah losses last year. Oregon just isn’t very good. 

• Thumbs Up 3

After today, I'm pretty confident that everyone around here is 100% in agreement with you. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Georgia had every advantage, and they returned an offense that hung 33 points on Alabama last year.  In fact, I think the Offense we just saw from Georgia, is Better than last year Championship team.    Take away the two pics by Bo, against one of the best secondary's  in the country, and his numbers are good.  Anyway, I'm really hoping now that Utah beats Florida!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, Pac10again said:

Take away the two pics by Bo, against one of the best secondary's  in the country, and his numbers are good.  

21/37 - 173 yards - 8 carries for 37 yards.

Sorry, but even if we leave reality behind and pretend he didn't have 2 picks, those numbers are still rather pedestrian.

• Thumbs Up 1

Have to agree. This isn't one game, this is getting absolutely rolled in 4 of the last 5.

Seeing "rebuilding year" being thrown around, but with the amount of guys likely leaving after this year, its hard to see how the stars line up for 2023.

With last year being sort of **blah** 2024 could be beginning following 3 "rebuilding" years.

If you are "rebuilding" for 3 years, you likely are no longer "rebuilding". You have stepped all the way back to building it up in the first place (which as we know isn't easy).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Applause 1

On 9/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking the Ducks might fall out of the Top-20. 

They might be Top-20 in the PAC-10, though!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

No way we're top 20. This is a reality check right out of the gate.

Georgia is really good. Really, really good.

Our defense is terrible right now.  Brady Hoke bad.

Offense looks interesting but obviously a work in progress. The good news is this is by far the best defense we'll face all year. 

Thought our punter looked good though😁.

It's one game, still a really bad start for DL. That said remember Chip's first game at Boise St.?

September is a tough, hopefully we can shake this one off and move on.

Edited by noDucknewby
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2022 at 4:09 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am more interested in how this team responds

Agreed, maybe some tackling drills this week before Eastern Washington hangs 28 on us?  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2022 at 5:08 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

Agreed, maybe some tackling drills this week before Eastern Washington hangs 28 on us?  

How can a major college team be so utterly inept at tackling?

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, Desert Duck said:

For sure.  Not even Kirby's comment earlier in the week about O being the best team in the Pac-12 can help us now.  I'd say clear out of the Top 25.  It'll be up to Lanning and his staff to see if he can claw Oregon back into at least bowl eligibility.  A loss like this can demoralize a team.  They can still play for a Pac-12 title but at this point, Utah looks to be a lot better team than O.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 4:55 PM, Pac10again said:

Georgia had every advantage, and they returned an offense that hung 33 points on Alabama last year.  In fact, I think the Offense we just saw from Georgia, is Better than last year Championship team.    Take away the two pics by Bo, against one of the best secondary's  in the country, and his numbers are good.  Anyway, I'm really hoping now that Utah beats Florida!

I think it is very safe to say the Georgia offense will be significantly better than last year. Bennett has had 1st team reps and all the mentoring he didn’t have last year and Washington is healthy and maybe an even bigger freak than Bowers, who completely lives up to the hype. Their tight ends can block and run and catch. And their coordinator picked fast reads that didn’t even give our front 7 a chance to get to Bennett so they essentially had zero stats because the rate times he held it long enough he scrambled and threw a long pass or a touchdown.

Most of the time the first or second read was open and went according to plan for them. Bennett is ready to keep torching everyone like he torched Michigan and Bama. Hard not to root for the guy who shatters expectations and is clearly still preparing and playing with a chip on his shoulder despite winning a ‘ship. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 6:57 PM, Desert Duck said:

Can performance get you demoted to FCS?  

I apologize.  That was uncalled for, but it's 2:30 here and I'm still wondering if that bad dream I had was really the GA game.  I'm going to bed!  

• Thumbs Up 1