Mic

Can We Compete with EWU?

I know the question sounds incredible but... sadly, this performance against the Dawgs was pretty dismal.  I can't remember the last time O's defense looked this porous.  In my mind, the question bears some merit.

EWU finished 10-3 last year and they are pretty good team.  They're well coached.  This game might be a lot closer than we thought just 2 days ago. Will Oregon shake off the wood-shed spanking they just got, and will Lanning & Lupoi be able to plug the holes in the worst defense I can remember at Oregon since before the Alliotti days?

Defensive guru or not coach, that was embarrassing.  But, let's give credit where it's due:  Georgia looked (and played) terrific.  Congratulations to them.

Go Oregon!

EWU picked to come in 6th in their conference (whichever that one is) so if we lose would be pretty epic failure. They are currently in 29 - 29 tie with Tennessee State at EWU. The gap in talent should be close to what we had to witness today but in our favor.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 9/3/2022 at 5:21 PM, LADuck said:

EWU picked to come in 6th in their conference (whichever that one is) so if we lose would be pretty epic failure. They are currently in 29 - 29 tie with Tennessee State at EWU. The gap in talent should be close to what we had to witness today but in our favor.

I'm seeing polls that say they finish 3rd in the Big Sky.  Regardless, you're right - the talent difference should be much better for us.  But that talent difference between O and Georgia wasn't THAT much.  

But the coaching apparently was.

Oregon had better punch EWU in the face early and keep on punching.

I did a quick check and see EWU projected mostly in 5th and one in 6th. I am going to the game with a friend who played QB for them. He is trash talker and if EWU pulls out a win it will be a long day sitting next to him.

Hope the Ducks come out with something to prove and get a big win. Maybe this beatdown shows how far the Ducks improved by the end of the year.

Can't get over how ugly that was ... damn.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:34 PM, LADuck said:

I did a quick check and see EWU projected mostly in 5th and one in 6th. I am going to the game with a friend who played QB for them. He is trash talker and if EWU pulls out a win it will be a long day sitting next to him.

I'll be thinking of you next Saturday.  I just came from the pizza parlor where there were a bunch of Beaver fans having a walloping good time watching Oregon take this walloping..  It was so annoying, I left when Georgia scored their 7th TD in a row. They were giddy with merriment!

This will be a nail-bitter Oregon is not very good. . 

If we start blowing games against EWU, I expect a short leash for DL and Co.

Maybe it was my imagination, but after the game as the ABC sideline reporter was pulling Kirby in for the post game TV interview, Phil is walking by past and stops and congratulates Kirby, and then walks away. Even Phil was looking pretty dejected. 

This season in all will be mediocre, at best. It's what to expect when you have a new system on every side of the ball, an entire new staff, and a handful of transfers learning the "Oregon way" (Whatever that is anymore).

I saw this game for what it was gonna be. I said a while back that Georgia was on another level.

Period. 

It's easy to see. They have top tier talent all over. They have a proven system that they know flawlessly, and can execute to perfection. 

The coaching staff know DL intimately, and prolly Tosh, as well. They had answers to everything we did, seemingly. And tore apart our well known defense. 

This game would have had a different outcome had our staff been in year 4 or 5, imho (Although, probably still a loss).

We are in for a rollercoaster of a season, at least until things really start to gel. But give it time OBD faithful.... We'll get back to our winning ways. 

As always, Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Looks like a down year for EWU. Watch out for BYU. 

If we let people run down the field wide open we could lose to anybody. I think the word for what we saw today was porous. Those with more football knowledge than me was it a matter of bad coverage or no pressure on QB which makes it tough to stick with receivers? Whatever it was it sure was ugly.

Apparently while leaving us without a QB plan, Mario left us without much in the corner cupboard either (thank goodness for Christian Gonzalez as the situation would be even more dire without him).

Bridges competed hard but Georgia went after him all game long (not sure what happened with Manning as I didn't see him until the 4th quarter). They also picked on the Duck safeties and nickels early and often - except Addison who played so deep I don't think he really got involved too much (1 tackle). After the Spring game, a bit disappointing to see DJ only get 1 tackle. DL don't always pile up stats but 0 sacks, 0 TFL, and 3 total tackles from DJ, Ware-Hudson, Dorlus, and TaImani. Ugh. Trying not to be hard on guys. Georgia is good.