Pennsylvania Duck

Oregon Makes Official Decision On Quarterback Bo Nix: Fans React

Just posted this on the FishDuck Feed and will probably upset a lot of fans if true. What do you think?

THESPUN.COM

The Bo Nix experiment was on full display in Atlanta this Saturday afternoon, and not in a good way.  Nix threw two interceptions...

Well, Thompson and Butterfield have had multiple years and two sets of coaches to impress, and apparently have failed to do so.

Are they not that good? Have they not been developed?

Two need for two grad-transfer QBs in two years does not speak well of something in the program.

Yuck. Time to give the youngster a chance to shine. Bo Nix won’t take us anywhere except last place. Goodbye Ty. If he doesn’t play next week nothing will give him a chance. Time for him to find a new team. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I find it odd too.

Even if you feel good about Bo going forward, playing him being down 49-3 - when the game is ABSOLUTELY and completely over - is just a recipe for getting you starting QB hurt.

And if he does get hurt, you then have to turn to one of two guys who you won't even allow to get a bit of play?

Bo has been around long enough somehow making a play or two in garbage time after getting rolled isn't likely going to someone change his confidence or trajectory.

It might however help one or two of those young guys to get some play against a talented team where it still gets to play with mostly starters on offense with a full playbook still throwing and trying to score.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 3

Well, this just confirms my suspicion that we were misled and there was never a QB competition for starter. This is Anthony Brown, 2.0 while letting those other recruits hang out on the practice squad. 

Ducks have made a habit of not signing freshmen QB's they want to play, and dive back into recruiting transfers and graduates like it's some panacea. 

I just put this article on the FishDuck Feed. It contains a little more info than the first.

247SPORTS.COM

Dan Lanning on QB situation: 'Bo Nix is our quarterback'

I can understand that version of the TT or JB narrative above to a point (that the young guys just are not getting it done behind the scenes) but I don't know how it changes too much.

Starting QBs can and do get hurt. AB got hurt, Herbert got hurt, VA got hurt, Masoli got hurt, Dixon got hurt, and so on.

You might not have confidence in your backup QBs, you might not even like your backup QBs, but that doesn't change you may have to play them for meaningful snaps or even meaningful games. 

If your starter goes down, you can't really punt on the rest of the season. No matter how bad they might be, it probably will be an even bigger struggle without at least letting them get their feet wet (and experience actual college football).

• Thumbs Up 3

We are in a pickle; if we move to an inexperienced QB...you are already giving up a number of games as he goes through his learning curve.  But if you stay with someone who cannot perform at the high level you target...

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning is lost on this one when he says, "we moved the ball but just had some drives that sputtered out".

That's what you get with Bo Nix so far in his career, lots of sputtered out drives. 

• Thumbs Up 1

No one is entering the portal mid-season, I believe, which is as it should be:

The transfer windows, which will go into effect in time for the 2022-23 season, will allow 60 days per year for athletes to enter the portal and maintain immediate eligibility for first-time transfers. For fall sports like football, the period will be split into two periods. The first, a 45-day period, will start the day after championship selections are made. A second window will be instituted from May 1-15 so players can enter the transfer portal after spring camp.

it is honestly probably better for all parties to end the season before entering the portal. A player may have an injury in front of them and have an opportunity they didnt expect, they can still watch film and learn and workout, and it doesn’t leave the team with less depth, and the player may change their mind. 

On 9/3/2022 at 6:44 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Well, that analysis sure doesn't bode well for this season. And, next season too, unless Dante Moore is really, really good.

Edited by jrw

On 9/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, Charles Fischer said:

We are in a pickle; if we move to an inexperienced QB...you are already giving up a number of games as he goes through his learning curve.  But if you stay with someone who cannot perform at the high level you target...

I think this is the exact reason that you play your backup in a game like today to get him necessary game experience and especially against a very good team. We needed 7 TD's to win and Nix couldn't get us ONE. If the back ups weren't good enough, then why are they still here? As backups, can they rise to the challenge if Nix gets hurt? If they can't, then this is a glaring weakness in recruiting.

On 9/3/2022 at 7:24 PM, jrw said:

Well, that analysis sure doesn't bode well for this season. And, next season too, unless Dante Moore is really, really good.

If I was Dante Moore I would decommit after that 💩show.

we are entering dark times, fellow duck fans 

the bellotti, Kelly, helfrich, Cristobal era of competing for and winning rose bowls is over. 

For this program to thrive the staff will need to show that they can develop talent. This staff brought in Nix and it appears they are sticking with him. Nix is not the solution to the long term success of the Ducks. 

I fully expect to see the younger QBs playing this year. But, I wouldn’t expect them to start because of todays game. 

We have decent talent, but it is obvious there is work still needed to get them playing together at a higher level. We just got a reality check into what national title contender football looks like, and we aren’t even close. That isn’t a bad thing, it is just a fact.

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, that wasn't what I expected.  Makes me wonder if BYU is Bo's event horizon.  If you are DL maybe you are thinking nobody would look good against that defense in that atmosphere so let's see where this goes as far as the BYU game.  I don't know.

What I do know is a rookie coach in his first game got it handed to him by his mentor.  Not surprising.  See the aforementioned 'rookie' adjective.

Predicting doom and a slide into irrelevance or mass recruiting exodus is, to me, as silly as earlier posts that were positing whether DL would bolt for a bigger job.  

It's one game.  Sample size of one.  A 'you probably don't want to be making any big decisions off this data set' situation. 

DL is in a learning curve (again, see aforementioned adjective).  Our society fears failure which is a (ironically) recipe for future failure.  Anyone start walking right away?  Ever take a test and bomb the first question and decide to up and leave the exam room?

Failure only becomes a problem when you do not take the opportunity to learn from it and then apply that acquired knowledge to improve (or worse, internalize it and carry it with you into future situations).  Failure is...healthy.  Yeah, I get this was a spectacular failure and that it's a high stakes business but again, aforementioned adjective coach.  You are buying into the potential, not perfection right out of the gate.

The Ducks got laid out today.  Let's see where they go from here.

Aside: For those worrying about the PAC's reputation after today, don't sweat it.  The PAC (and the Duck's membership in said conference) likely won't exist in 3 years.  You can't cheapen something that has no future value.

Edited by CalBear95
  • Great post! 2
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:03 PM, Southwest Duck said:

I don't know, he also could be thinking I could come in and start and be off to the NFL in 3 seasons?

As well, recruits rarely react to one game. I think Notre Dame was his #2? While they certainly looked much better against tOSU (scoring 10), I think tOSU held them to 253 yards of total offense and punted on their last 6 possessions (and their QB only completed 10 passes on the day). I guess Michigan was in there too? Harbaugh's not really known for throwing it around.

Edited by AnotherOD

On 9/3/2022 at 8:03 PM, Southwest Duck said:

we are entering dark times, fellow duck fans 

the bellotti, Kelly, helfrich, Cristobal era of competing for and winning rose bowls is over. 

One game. A bad one, but one game. Don’t give up on life so easy. 

Ty Thompson should enter the transfer portal as soon as possible.  We all know what Bo is. We saw it today. He was and is horrible. His experience obviously doesn’t matter. And yet Ty wasn’t given an opportunity to take a single snap. It doesn’t appear Lanning is considering making a change. Ty must be experiencing deja vu. This is A. Brown 2.0. Bo has another year of eligibility after this year. That means Ty won’t get a shot this year or next. This will likely be Moore’s team in 2024. Ty doesn’t have a future at Oregon. He won’t even be given an opportunity. I’m sure he will figure that out sooner or later.

324A3E70-8336-460F-9B51-C8735BB9B14E.jpeg

Another disastrous opening game, look at page two.  Six first downs and 152 yards certainly didn't foretell what was ahead.

GODUCKS.COM

Rave Report (PDF)

For what it's worth, my brother-in-law called me after the game with an observation from what he could see from his seat in the stands.   He's never coached, but is always objective in his analysis and has well above average intelligence, so I listen when he has an opinion. 

He (bro-in-law) said that from the jump these QB's were playing different games.  The guy in red had multiple targets available with sizeable throwing windows on almost every play, while the guy in green faced just the opposite.  I gave him a kind of "no sh*t" response given the outcomes we were viewing on our flat-screens.  He assured me that I didn't understand.  He said the gap between one teams ability to create open space in comparison the other teams was as wide as he's seen in years.  Hearing those words, and being familiar with his tone, was very disconcerting to me. 

Bo's put together a body of work that fairly puts him in the cross-hairs with performances such as today's.  But...man, there's plenty of concern to be had here.  The defense couldn't tackle a fat man in a phone booth, looked slow and out of position, was less threatening than the kittens on Charles' memes, and now I hear our receivers were gaining zero separation.  And...sadly put me down in the column that believes DL made a mistake.  For multiple reasons Ty should have played the 4th quarter.  You've gotta keep this young man engaged in the game of football, and when Bo gets Nixed this year, your back-up has to come in ready to play.  

To wrap this up with a positive bow, this was just one game...the first game...against not only a top-notch SEC team, but perhaps a top 2 team in the country.  The guys now have the opportunity to regroup and work on turning this thing around.  They just witnessed what the best in the country looks like.  I'll be curious to see how the team responds the next couple of weeks as I believe it will tell us a lot about the character of OBD.

As for Bo, I'd hold off on benching the guy based on the all-around dreadful team performance in this game.  View this as a truncated mean where the lowest evaluation and highest evaluation are discarded, because I can't imagine this team performing any worse.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, CO Duck said:

Ty Thompson should enter the transfer portal as soon as possible.

That would be in December after the season with the new rules.  A lot can happen between now and then...

Mr. FishDuck

I need to see this beatdown-I don't believe OBD are that bad.

I see some mental issues here.  As in "I'm going to learn how to kick your ass the football way" mental.  

Pardon the French.  My thought today was if we get our butt kicked, UGA players should be sore all next week.  I didn't see that kind of mentality out there.

I did t see Mack Truck effort (and forget tackling mechanics, I didn't see full speed pursuit, or full speed movement in a dangerous looking fashion).  

You know, green light no matter the result, so to speak.  They looked timid. And that was just the highlights I saw.  

I feel like making these players run full speed through paper walls, then polyester walls, until they are ready to run through brick walls.  

That's what UGA looked like today.  An athletic Mack truck.  I'll take a mini me truck for now, but I want that mack truck mentality first.  Then worry about execution.

Have I said I like dobermans, pit bulls, and German Shepherds?  I need a few good dogs on OBD.  They have enough talent as far as I'm concerned.  I want to see mean and nasty effort right now.  

I want to see them drop a seven hundred giga ton bomb on EWU.  Like our 2019 team did after losing to Auburn.  If I see that, I'm not worried about this team.  

And who cares who the QB is.  I want that one mean too.  Unafraid to make mistakes.  Laser quick response, and unrestrained.  

I saw desperation today.  From what I'm gathering, Nix has more moxie  than "the rookies"(my new nickname for TT and JB).

Somebody better step up in that room and "be a dog".  It's lacking, and the team is right there with them..

I guess I am most saddened by the Mari -like insistence on refusing to give another QB a chance to compete.

I actually thought DL would give TT of JB a chance to compete in an actual game once it was out of reach. 

IMHO, this game was out of reach once Bone X (an apt nickname he earned in the SEC) threw his second pick directly into the arms of a Georgia defender.  There was absolutely no reason to stick with him in the second half.

This blind allegiance to transfer QBs can only hurt OBD, and is hard to stomach. Yet Again…

• Thumbs Up 2

Meet the new boss same as the old boss.--From the Who's Wont get Fooled Again

On 9/3/2022 at 9:56 PM, CO Duck said:

Ty Thompson should enter the transfer portal as soon as possible.  We all know what Bo is. We saw it today. He was and is horrible. His experience obviously doesn’t matter. And yet Ty wasn’t given an opportunity to take a single snap. It doesn’t appear Lanning is considering making a change. Ty must be experiencing deja vu. This is A. Brown 2.0. Bo has another year of eligibility after this year. That means Ty won’t get a shot this year or next. This will likely be Moore’s team in 2024. Ty doesn’t have a future at Oregon. He won’t even be given an opportunity. I’m sure he will figure that out sooner or later.

324A3E70-8336-460F-9B51-C8735BB9B14E.jpeg

This post is a wonderful example of perspective.  

The lack of separation might also be a function of insanely talented and athletic Georgia DBs, superior defensive schemes, and relative inexperience among the Duck’s receiving corps.  

We should learn a lot as the season progresses. Georgia’s body of work should help us validate some of this possibility as well as the inevitable growth among on our side. 

I am not proffering a definitive view here.  Just pointing out an alternative POV. 

That’s the beauty of perspective as well as the unknown.

I acknowledge  ‘beauty’ may be a hard word to swallow after this kind of showing bit I honestly am excited to see how the Ducks progress this season.  

Where I see many on this board portend disaster, I choose to see the beginning of what I hope to be an exciting - and, yes, at times frustrating - path to dominance for a coach I very much still to believe has a great future in front of him.  

That probably doesn’t manifest this season but you cannot enjoy the highs without experiencing the lows.