Charles Fischer

OMG: A Lanning Quote That Makes Me Hurl...

When Coach Lanning was asked about Bo's second interception....

"The second take-away is one that Bo would certainly want back. They were playing buzz coverage into a quads look and (he) forced a throw we don't
need to force. Bo knows that. He knows that the minute he walked off the field."

Are you kidding me?  A graduate student with all those exalted SEC games under his belt and he has to learn that yet? 

So many of you know that one of my favorite management expressions that applies to FishDuck Volunteers, new employees, football players and football coaches is..."Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early," and "when it is weakness--you can never turn it into greatness; you will have to work very hard just to bring him/her up to average."

So the key is not spend tons of time on Dodo Birds, but go find Eagles.  Many say that, "I can turn him into an Eagle," but that never works.  You cannot send Dodo Birds to Eagle School...it doesn't work that way.  If you want Eagles....you have to go out and find them.  Coaching Bo up is a waste of time because if he is making mistakes like this as a fourth-year starter,....he isn't going to change. 

You are better off finding an Eagle for the long-term.

image.jpeg

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Mr. FishDuck

I find it hard to believe that either TT or JB are that much worse than bone x.  That they are so much worse they don’t even get a chance when you are down 28-0.

What we witnessed yesterday was a train wreck.  I hope and pray DL and this coaching staff can turn this thing around.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cant score cant tackle is not the standard for even a mediocre team. This weeks practice will be about becoming a mediocre team.--hopefully

• Thumbs Up 1

I was dissipointed when he said Nix is our QB. So the close competition was all hot air? MC would not give his backups playing time and now that error is being repeated. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Charles, I would offer a different take.  Your critique of Bo is spot on.  But we don’t know what DL is saying behind closed doors.  

Slamming his QB publicly has no value.  He very well might be telling Bo a version of what you have said.  Again, the BYU game will be telling.  I would not be shocked if Bo has a very short leash in that game. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Guest willville

Lanning’s quote was just fine.  We got our butts kicked.

What is painfully obvious college football has two clear cut leaders and no more…Bama and Georgia, a step down Ohio State, Clemson and maybe a couple of others and then everyone. CFP this year, Bama, Georgia, Ohio State and somebody else.

Thank God they are re-doing the playoff system. 

Go Ducks!

On 9/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, willville said:

Thank God they are re-doing the playoff system. 

If UGA, Bama, and tOSU are so far ahead of everyone else, what difference does it make whether a team like Michigan or Oregon or Oklahoma gets rolled in the first game of the season, or in the first game of the playoffs?

• Thumbs Up 1

The realignment and the new playoff system is designed to keep the SEC top dog--its called thinning the heard and it WILL work just that way.

Get ready for lesser bowl games that mean nothing for 99% of college teams. Eventually we will have 4 super teams-just like we have now.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

👌

On 9/3/2022 at 11:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Coaching Bo up is a waste of time because if he is making mistakes like this as a fourth-year starter,....he isn't going to change. 

There is absolutely some wisdom here.  I completely misdiagnosed the Auburn film with Bo and the reality is QB is the most important position on the field as they make nearly all of the critical offensive decisions that lead to success or failure in a game.

We don't know what Bo (or TT or JB) show in closed practices.  Bo might be an utter genius in explaining to the coaches every aspect of the offense and defense but gameplay is the judge of play potential and what evidence we have there is that he makes poor decisions when it really matters.

Forget the fans, DL and the staff owe it to every player on the Oregon team to reevaluate every single decision that has been made to date.  Starting QB is certainly one of those decisions.

I do have faith in the young staff, but that faith is tempered with data.  We need to see skills development as JOB #1 and those skills need to be demonstrated during the games.

One thing is for sure, we need much better offensive play immediately because it's going to take some time to put the defensive house in order.

On 9/4/2022 at 7:11 AM, CalBear95 said:

Charles, I would offer a different take.  Your critique of Bo is spot on.  But we don’t know what DL is saying behind closed doors.  

Slamming his QB publicly has no value.  He very well might be telling Bo a version of what you have said.  Again, the BYU game will be telling.  I would not be shocked if Bo has a very short leash in that game. 

Good point, and I'm sure you are quite right.  It just struck me as so odd....

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/4/2022 at 7:11 AM, CalBear95 said:

And we will never hear those behind closed door conversations. 

I think Nix was always going to get the nod for game one this season because he was going to give Oregon the best chance. 

But moving forward is that still the truth? 

Game two is against Eastern Washington, not a easy FCS team but there is a talent gap in Oregon's favor. Coaches will have a week to prepare our Ducks and everyone should be motivated to do it. 

The rest of the season can and should be better. I do think we are looking at Georgia v Bama for the National Championship game this year. 

The 247 talent rankings on teams is interesting with Bama and Georgia being one and two respectively. But there is a massive canyon sized gap between 2 and 7 (Oregon). 

Time for the coaches to get to work. 

To be honest, it looked like DL had a bit of deer in the headlights look at times.

I wouldn't blame him if he did... That was a ridiculous stage for a first game as HC.

The fact that he appeared to remain calm in the face of that level of adversity is impressive.

No screaming meltdowns. 

Impressive lack of penalties for this first game.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:30 AM, TheRunningDuck said:

I was dissipointed when he said Nix is our QB. So the close competition was all hot air? MC would not give his backups playing time and now that error is being repeated. 

Yeah, I was too. I watched the spring game and Bo didnt look any better than the other two.

I think Dillingham is the one wanting to stay with Bo probably has assurance from Dan that he's the guy.

Oregon's last four games against ranked teams: 0-4. Halftime scores: 28-3 (vs UGA) 30-3 (OU) 23-0 (UU, P-12 Championship) 28-0 (UU). Maybe it's time for another visit to Camp Harlow.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Dalebliss said:

Oregon's last four games against ranked teams: 0-4. Halftime scores: 28-3 (vs UGA) 30-3 (OU) 23-0 (UU, P-12 Championship) 28-0 (UU). Maybe it's time for another visit to Camp Harlow.

But then, there's that pesky fly in the soup known as tOSU - in Columbus.😃

Bo Nix is like the legacy that gets pledged to your fraternity.  Everyone loved his dad (Patrick Nix) at Auburn, so Bo was going to be the second coming.  Alas, that fraternity got tired of their legacy, and moved on.  Now he's in our fraternity, but he's the guy no one really wants to hang with. 

Something like that, anyway. 

I didnt like Dan before the game, on the field during stretching telling the players “you are blessed”

On 9/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, Mic said:

But then, there's that pesky fly in the soup known as tOSU - in Columbus.😃

Unfortunately that is meaningless now.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:17 PM, Duckhart said:

I didnt like Dan before the game, on the field during stretching telling the players “you are blessed”

Yes, and he also kept saying "It's time to eat!"  Perhaps saying "It's time to play!" would have worked better.

On 9/4/2022 at 4:26 AM, PittDuck said:

I find it hard to believe that either TT or JB are that much worse than bone x.  That they are so much worse they don’t even get a chance when you are down 28-0.

What we witnessed yesterday was a train wreck.  I hope and pray DL and this coaching staff can turn this thing around.

They are.  

It's already out there to most football experts.  If either were as good as Nix they would have played yesterday.

Two years running is a statement, not an opinion. 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:24 PM, Charles Fischer said:

When Coach Lanning was asked about Bo's second interception....

"The second take-away is one that Bo would certainly want back. They were playing buzz coverage into a quads look and (he) forced a throw we don't
need to force. Bo knows that. He knows that the minute he walked off the field."

Are you kidding me?  A graduate student with all those exalted SEC games under his belt and he has to learn that yet? 

So many of you know that one of my favorite management expressions that applies to FishDuck Volunteers, new employees, football players and football coaches is..."Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early," and "when it is weakness--you can never turn it into greatness; you will have to work very hard just to bring him/her up to average."

So the key is not spend tons of time on Dodo Birds, but go find Eagles.  Many say that, "I can turn him into an Eagle," but that never works.  You cannot send Dodo Birds to Eagle School...it doesn't work that way.  If you want Eagles....you have to go out and find them.  Coaching Bo up is a waste of time because if he is making mistakes like this as a fourth-year starter,....he isn't going to change. 

You are better off finding an Eagle for the long-term.

image.jpeg

Let me tell you why I believe he threw that pass.  I noticed Georgia sat on that seam route ALL DAY.  This play was in the third series, and if you remember the first interception they weren't sitting in the seam route (yet).

The safeties stopped moving backwards because they knew they could handle Oregon's speed by that time in the game.

Secondly, OUR SAFETIES NEVER SIT ON SEAM ROUTES. This goes for practice as well.  So "no Bo" never sees that (especially in practice).  That pass is a timing throw.  It requires releasing his throw a step before the TE or WR reaches the guy that is covering him.  

That is why Nix threw that pass so quickly.  

He hadn't seen a time in the game when the safety sat on that seam.  

Now here is another aspect to the whole thing.  That safety knew to sit on the seam BASED ON OUR FORMATION and the type of play that formation naturally exploits.  

I don't have time to show it on film, but if you noticed, the defense didn't bite on the fake bubble screen.  That's because they close extremely well. They know they can shut that down.

So Georgia basically took away the next option on that kind of play: the seam.  They probably knew it was coming based on film study.

Now get this.  In practice - and especially after watching our safety play all game, our safeties leave a ten yard hole on that play.  Nix practiced against that all week. He was mentally drilled into thinking that open space would be there. 

Georgia is coached to adapt "in game".  They already took away the deep outside pass at that point of the game.  They started to squeeze natural open windows closed.  Dilly hadn't recognized that yet.  Neither did Nix.

Dilly ( thus Nix) played right into that "trap".

There are other aspects of Bo's game that are frustrating.  But it is very clear to me " the rookies" as I call them aren't advanced enough to make the kind of adjustments Nix can.  And if Nix develops a more keen sense of seeing the whole field, and stays patient enough to find his receivers by sequence he will flourish like the other two can't yet.

TT and JB clearly don't execute like Nix does.  It's been two years and two supposedly less talented QBs.  Both coaching staffs feel that way.  

One last thing: our OL will protect him better than Auburn did.  He needs to recognize that and stay patient.  

I hope everyone gets used to the fact Bo is simply better than his backups.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is no better time to look to the future than against Eastern Washington. Play either Thompson or Butterfield because we all witnessed that Bo is not getting any better. It is time our "inexperienced" got experience. It can't get worse that last Saturday.