Charles Fischer

Kirby Smart: "We Got Better Players"

So...Oregon coaches had nothing to do with the butt-kicking?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I agree with Smart.

Georgia did have better players, far better players. 

Bigger, stronger, faster.

As far as coaching I’m not sure a brilliant coaching job would have made much difference. We know Bo is a turnover waiting to happen, and it’s very difficult to coach judgment and composure.

I have always maintained that the BYU game was far more important than Georgia. Lose that one and the Ducks are reeling at 1-2 (assuming a win over EW) heading into Pac-12 play.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 11:43 AM, DUCKED said:

I agree with Smart.

As far as coaching I’m not sure a brilliant coaching job would have made much difference. We know Bo is a turnover waiting to happen, and it’s very difficult to coach judgment and composure.

I have always maintained that the BYU game was far more important than Georgia. Lose that one and the Ducks are reeling at 1-2 (assuming a win over EW) heading into Pac-12 play.

Got to watch the game (stopped at 2nd INT).  I concur.  Players are way better.  Especially the safeties, who in my opinion were the key to shutting down our passing game.  

They SIT at ten yards (while ours are practically 30 yards from the LOS).  

Their safeties make plays.  Ours don't.  Not even close.  We did play into their scheme (they took away lots of routes using those safeties, and both safeties are fast enough to cover ground as good as their LBs). 

Their safety play was huge.  Their TEs are a major force (and our safeties we're not effective or "in the game"meaning they either aren't taught well, or they don't understand coverage concepts - they were out of position ALL DAY). 

They are bigger and better, and coaching is part of that, but those dudes are NFL size.  Our sides are college size.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Basically our recruits are not what we hoped for?

The star ranking system apparently accounts for athletic ability but not at all for heart and competetive spirit.  

The truth is that Oregon will never recruit consistently at the clip Georgia does.  No amount of NIL money or facilities upgrades can makeup for a lack of talent on the west coast that the southeast has in abundance.  Georgia can put as may DL in one draft as Oregon has in a decade.  Unless a large number of young blue chip country fed lineman start moving west of the rockies this issue will remain. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If name, image, and likeness revenue is a prospect's top priority, I would show them the door.  

I blame UCLA and USC's slump on the "Hollywood" factor.  They can sign the most talented men in SoCal, but many if them are more concerned about fame than the game if football.  

My stomach will turn this Saturday if I see Ducks flexing when they make a routine play against an FCS foe.

Celebrating great plays and big plays is encouraged. Do it with class as Men of Oregon. 

First, recruit future Men of Oregon whose top priority is playing great football. The revenue will find them.

I don't think it is as simple as just having better players, however true it might be. Oregon players are in a position of unlearning Mario and learning Lanning. 

Doing so and being competitive against the defending champs is a big ask in 8 short months. 

Trying to use a similar defensive scheme in first game against an opponent that has been perfecting it for 6 years is tough.

Unfortunately Oregon had to go up against the master and innovator of our new scheme game one. Yikes!  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

To address the question Charles posed--If Samford scores more on Ga than the Ducks I would say that we definitely have a coaching issue.

I believe Georgia also has better coaches.  Perhaps DL will learn his lessons and get rolling sometime soon.  But holy smokes...the tackling was atrocious.  That is a skill that should be enforced and reinforced daily in camp.  The defensive scheme by our beloved Ducks also lacked imagination and activity usually associated with DL D teams.  (Not so much Tosh L.  Perhaps he should shoulder some of the blame for the humiliation.)

Anyway, it's back to the drawing board.  Let us hope that coaches and players learned a valuable lesson from Georgia about basic football techniques, power, desire, and scheme...and go forth with 12 straight wins.

Smart is correct but what he doesn’t say is that DL tried to run a game plan beyond the skill and experience of his talent relative to that delta.  That’s where, hopefully, DL will learn.  

I think the greatest example of blunting the advantage of your opponent to maximize your chances of winning is Ali’s ‘rope-a-dope’ strategy against Foreman.  Ali could straight up knock people out but he knew he couldn’t go toe to toe with Foreman.   So he didn’t.  

DL tried to outpunch Foreman and ended up looking like Joe Frazier in that endeavor 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:50 PM, Charles Fischer said:

So...Oregon coaches had nothing to do with the butt-kicking?

While true, this is a very rough comment for Smart to level against the Oregon kids after just crushing them by 46 points.

And if this comment wasn't immediately followed with something like, "And the Oregon coaching was just plain subpar," -- then, in my opinion, he was simply being disingenuous and attempting to provide cover for his friend and former D coach... at the expense of our kids. 

It's time to look forward guys, not back.  

Lanning & Co. need to focus on Eastern Washington, not what went wrong last week and why.  There's time for that later  Every game Oregon plays from here on out becomes increasingly important and Oregon can get back on track now and get that 1st win or mope and grumble till BYU hands us another loss just in time for conference play  Not good.

On 9/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, Mic said:

It's time to look forward guys, not back.  

Lanning & Co. need to focus on Eastern Washington, not what went wrong last week and why.  There's time for that later  Every game Oregon plays from here on out becomes increasingly important and Oregon can get back on track now and get that 1st win or mope and grumble till BYU hands us another loss just in time for conference play  Not good.

Beating EW is like getting a 55 horsepower car for graduation.

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2022 at 5:18 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

I drive a 70 horsepower car on a daily basis - what's your point?  😁

With gas at about $8 a gallon, narrow roads (some built 2,000 years ago), and mostly tiny parking spaces available, it makes sense.  But driving a vehicle powered by an asthmatic squirrel with a limp does get old sometimes...I miss my Lexus...

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:00 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I drive a 70 horsepower car on a daily basis - what's your point?  😁

With gas at about $8 a gallon, narrow roads (some built 2,000 years ago), and mostly tiny parking spaces available, it makes sense.  But driving a vehicle powered by an asthmatic squirrel with a limp does get old sometimes...I miss my Lexus...

I own a 140 hp car which is deemed under rated by todays standards and my graduation present was a Ford Pinto--the rear ender blow up model.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 12:19 PM, Mike West said:

Got to watch the game (stopped at 2nd INT).  I concur.  Players are way better.  Especially the safeties, who in my opinion were the key to shutting down our passing game.  

They SIT at ten yards (while ours are practically 30 yards from the LOS).  

Their safeties make plays.  Ours don't.  Not even close.  We did play into their scheme (they took away lots of routes using those safeties, and both safeties are fast enough to cover ground as good as their LBs). 

Their safety play was huge.  Their TEs are a major force (and our safeties we're not effective or "in the game"meaning they either aren't taught well, or they don't understand coverage concepts - they were out of position ALL DAY). 

They are bigger and better, and coaching is part of that, but those dudes are NFL size.  Our sides are college size.  

Man, that one dude was a FRESHMAN (Scott?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Two thought:

One, he is correct.  Georgia has better players than anyone else except Alabama.  And they may now be on the same level.

Two, he was providing cover for his former assistant, i.e. "Dan Lanning wasn't outcoached as much as we have better players."

I'm not too concerned about Kirby's comments.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If it were just "better players," there would be no upsets in college football.  Appalachian State would never have beaten Michigan; Boise State would never have beaten Oklahoma.  It's a lot more than just that, although I have no doubt that plays a major role.

Oregon had much better players than Stanford last year, but look what happened.

Is it scheme?  Coaching?  Lack of effort/heart?  Lack of football IQ?  Transitioning to a new system?  Lack of leadership?  Maturity?  No idea.  Maybe even the guys who coach and play on the team don't know right now.  And if they do, I'm sure no coach or player is going to come out and say, "Yeah, that defensive scheme sucked" or "Yeah, that position group is seriously overrated."  So we fans will stay in the dark until we get to see some more games and get a sense of what's happening on a regular basis.  

And I'm not buying the time zone or home field elements.  Home field is generally worth about 3 points in the spread.  I used to travel 25 weeks a year all over the US and often dealt with 3 times zones a week, working until midnight, traveling commercial, well into my late 40s without being a highly conditioned athlete with every training, equipment, and nutritional advantage known to man - sucks sometimes, but deal with it.  No different than playing with a sore ankle or a head cold - sucks, but deal with it. 

Those can't possibly begin to explain a 46-point gap.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:43 AM, DUCKED said:

I agree with Smart.

Did Bo give up 49 points?  Even against third stringers.

On 9/5/2022 at 10:03 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

my graduation present was a Ford Pinto--the rear ender blow up model.

They didn't, by chance, also take out a life insurance policy on you, with them as the beneficiary, at the same time... did they? 😉

• Yikes! 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:11 AM, TexasDuck said:

I'm not too concerned about Kirby's comments.

Now that this game is behind us, I'm just hoping that Kirby will "coach-up" Coach Lanning.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:15 AM, Pac10again said:

Did Bo give up 49 points?  

Nope. My bigger concern regarding our QB situation is in regards to the future.

Not giving either of our highly recruited and ranked backup QB's any playing time late in the game on Saturday seems quite bizarre, and to me, and raises a lot more questions.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:23 AM, Desert Duck said:

They didn't, by chance, also take out a life insurance policy on you, with them as the beneficiary, at the same time... did they? 😉

I dont know but they said be sure to stop randomly.--Just to check out the brakes.

• Haha 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:13 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

And I'm not buying the time zone or home field elements. 

I start to cringe a bit when we start talking about time zones. I definitely did not hear much about a time zone disadvantage last year when we played at Ohio State, which also happens to be in the EST.

And let's face it, it's not like they travel by Wagon Train to get there. I doubt they even shifted to the EDT time zone since they were only there for a few days. And it's also not like we played an early morning game. The game was at 12:30 PDT.

But I do think the home field advantage in this case was worth more than three points. Especially early on in the game.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

That crowd of red and black had to put fear into the Duckies and FIRE UP the hometown boys.

On 9/5/2022 at 9:18 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

It's a start and the journey has to start somewhere.  Most individuals' 1st car isn't a corvette or tesla.

I'm just popping in here because there are a lot of Georgia fans that are going to be Duck fans because of Lanning, in addition to being a historically great program.  This was honestly a really weird game.  Oregon was moving the ball up and down the field on Georgia's mostly new defensive starting lineup.  I certainly would not want to be Eastern Washington this week.   The Ducks are going to look like a completely different team now that they have seen exactly what they need to be.  Improving the tacking alone this week will be tremendously easier against weaker competition. 

The stats on this game tell the story tell a better story on how the offense really performed, Oregon actually outrushed Georgia, less penalties, almost equal time of possession, and only five less first downs.  Poor tackling, superior athletes, and two turnovers made this thing lopsided.  

image.png.ac8103f146daf4071caf9003ea242e4d.png

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:37 AM, JCARKUGA said:

I'm just popping in here because there are a lot of Georgia fans that are going to be Duck fans because of Lanning, in addition to being a historically great program.  This was honestly a really weird game.  Oregon was moving the ball up and down the field on Georgia's mostly new defensive starting lineup.  I certainly would not want to be Eastern Washington this week.   The Ducks are going to look like a completely different team now that they have seen exactly what they need to be.  Improving the tacking alone this week will be tremendously easier against weaker competition. 

The stats on this game tell the story tell a better story on how the offense really performed, Oregon actually outrushed Georgia, less penalties, almost equal time of possession, and only five less first downs.  Poor tackling, superior athletes, and two turnovers made this thing lopsided.  

image.png.ac8103f146daf4071caf9003ea242e4d.png

just do first half stats to get a more realistic take.   Georgia backed way off in second half

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/5/2022 at 10:35 AM, Mic said:

It's a start and the journey has to start somewhere.  Most individuals' 1st car isn't a corvette or tesla.

You are right,but- its a bit sad that a billion dollar program has to start from the bottom after 4 years of more than decent national recruiting.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 10:42 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

You are right,but- its a bit sad that a billion dollar program has to start from the bottom after 4 years of more than decent national recruiting.

Sad and shocking.  But that was Georgia.  It'll only be devastating (imo) if Oregon doesn't improve from here on out each and every game to the end of the season.  There's still a lot to play for, namely the Conference title and a top tier bowl game.  All that is still in the mix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Im beginning to think that Mario shopped right but not smart. The Ducks have a very long way to go and with conference re-alignment life may get worse.

I agree with 1Ducker1 above.  Conference realignment will not bode well for Oregon, imo.  But how do you stop a freight train with no brakes?

• Yikes! 1

My FishDuck Friends, Kirby is not just Smart, he is brilliant.  I cannot convey it enough with the articles I've studied, and all the videos viewed.  There are two defenses in the history of college football recognized as the best, the 2021 Georgia defense, and an Alabama defense in recent years, and the one commonality was Kirby Smart was either the DC or HC.

Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State are loaded teams, and will find it hard to beat the Bulldogs.

Let's tip our hat to Georgia and move forward...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/5/2022 at 10:41 AM, Pac10again said:

just do first half stats to get a more realistic take.   Georgia backed way off in second half

Bulldogs could have scored 60 or more-Kirby showed mercy.

On 9/5/2022 at 11:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

My FishDuck Friends, Kirby is not just Smart, he is brilliant.  I cannot convey it enough with the articles I've studied, and all the videos viewed.  There are two defenses in the history of college football recognized as the best, the 2021 Georgia defense, and an Alabama defense in recent years, and the one commonality was Kirby Smart was either the DC or HC.

Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State are loaded teams, and will find it hard to beat the Bulldogs.

Let's tip our hat to Georgia and move forward...

Smart is clearly a brilliant coach. There is a very good reason why Alabama made him the highest paid defensive coach in history.

And even though Georgia is his first head coaching job, he has been utterly beyond exceptional. By the time he's done, I think he has a chance at surpassing Saban.

On 9/5/2022 at 7:31 AM, nw777b said:

If name, image, and likeness revenue is a prospect's top priority, I would show them the door.  

I blame UCLA and USC's slump on the "Hollywood" factor.  They can sign the most talented men in SoCal, but many if them are more concerned about fame than the game if football.  

My stomach will turn this Saturday if I see Ducks flexing when they make a routine play against an FCS foe.

Celebrating great plays and big plays is encouraged. Do it with class as Men of Oregon. 

First, recruit future Men of Oregon whose top priority is playing great football. The revenue will find them.

My stomach turned last Saturday when one of our d-backs was flexing and woofing after a wide open Georgia receiver dropped an easy catch. I think we were only down 28-3 when that bit of sportsmanship took place.

• Yikes! 1

I'm afraid that the star rankings have no place for heart and competitive spirit. Could have a highly ranked class but they lack the desire to fight for it but are happy to be front runners. I have a feeling this is what Cristobal recruited to Oregon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 7:40 AM, Log Haulin said:

I don't think it is as simple as just having better players, however true it might be. Oregon players are in a position of unlearning Mario and learning Lanning. 

Doing so and being competitive against the defending champs is a big ask in 8 short months. 

Trying to use a similar defensive scheme in first game against an opponent that has been perfecting it for 6 years is tough.

Unfortunately Oregon had to go up against the master and innovator of our new scheme game one. Yikes!  

One of the most astute comments made this weekend.

There are many moving parts in this battle to unwind Mario and install Lanning and company.

There are many skill sets the players must learn (for instance in my opinion Nix is milea ahead of TT and JB, but all three must drastically improve execution according to their respective skillets as all three can really play this game-my opinion there).

I actually liked what I saw of the offense.  The lineman ARE that good (but not NFL good).  Nix IS crisp, but he just does not stay patient and let the game come to him.  TT DOES need to learn timing and be more accurate (same with JB).  

I believe Lanning stared it accurately, the players now see what NFL good is.  They all have skillets that can develop into top notch COLLEGE GOOD.  The players must Matrix their way into developing their skills because most of the work is MENTAL.

I don't think the players get that yet.  They are physically talented enough to play very, very well.  They are not mentally developed enough to execute consistently.  That is essential BECAUSE they don't possess the caliber of talent Georgia and Alabama have (they actually are about as good as Ohio State frankly, but Ohio State has the mental edge).

Whittingham has his players there.  I believe Lanning is  along those lines as a coach.  He gets it. And I believe he is going to eventually get there.  

I think the players believe their physical talent combined with strategy is all it takes. Championship caliber takes more effort than one really knows till they see it (like they saw Saturday).

Edited by Mike West
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

CKS is very blunt and ruffled feathers here when he was first hired announcing our players were too small and soft in essence and that we needed a complete engine overhaul if you will.  Take a look at his roster, our best TE is from Napa Valley and second best at 6’7” 270 plus from Nevada. Our freshman punter is from Australia.

Sure GA NC SC FLA are loaded with players so you don’t have to go far from home to recruit, but Kirby has taken it nationwide and beyond. Also our facilities are first class with a 95k seat stadium along with some seriously rabid fans, all helping Kirby’s process. Kirby cameto UGA and began demanding upgrades to already very nice facilities, and he got them.

Give CDL some time to get out there and find that player from TX or Mass or even Ga., he will get you commitments and ballers at that. There are plenty of kids that would love to even visit your State and Campus on officials with a solid chance at landing them. Trot the cheerleaders out and that alone would draw commitments! 

We have always had a handful of ballers on every UGA team but never had a coach like Smart that is absolutely relentless at recruiting and coaching them up.  Also coach Smart is a former Dog DB under Vince Dooley but comes directly off the Saban coaching tree, like the strongest limb closest to the trunk. It would be tough to be St Nicks d coordinator, I would think. 

This year we have a mostly new defensive group but we go 2-3 deep  which helps in the high heat and humidity of the Deep South.

Best of luck moving forward to the Ducks. 

Edited by Smith72
Spacing
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/5/2022 at 3:33 PM, John Charles said:

My stomach turned last Saturday when one of our d-backs was flexing and woofing after a wide open Georgia receiver dropped an easy catch. I think we were only down 28-3 when that bit of sportsmanship took place.

And I thought DL wasn't going to stand for it?

• Thumbs Up 2

Kirby Smart asked about UGA OL, said it didn't face any adversity so there's still things to sort out.

Ouch.

• Wow 1

Ducks are going to be fine after they shake off this whipping. Playing EW will cure some of the questions.  What is the old saying about not as good or bad as it seems,  or something like that. I don't think the Ducks are a bad team, I just think we/UGA may be a pretty good team.  Regarding Kirbys comments about Lanning getting better players, maybe CKS should have said that Dan nereds to get MORE better players...UGA has a lot of really good players. 

My wifes cousin  is Ladd McConkey and that kid came from a little podunk mountain school in north Georgia and they had another kid just like him; on any Friday night in Georgia, you can go to a super HS or a little mountain HS or a south Georgia "pulp wood" HS, and they will be loaded with kids that will play on Saturday afternoon. I have seen as many as 7-8 D1 kids on one team. It is mindboggling.  All that talent makes it easy for SEC schools to recruit well. 

And then those same universities will go to California, Texas, or even Maryland and get good players to compliment the local fare. 

Oregon is going to be ok. just move on to the next game.  Good luck!

• Thumbs Up 2

How about just plain confidence and experience?  When our first team was trying to score a TD at the end of the game against Georgia's reserves, did any of you actually believe they were going to do it?  Did the players themselves think it would happen?  I'm not so sure after being rattled all day.

Two quick points:

1) Our skill position players are much smaller.  I made a mental note years ago watching Alabama vs Clemson in national title games, "we won't be competing for titles until we get much bigger at the receiver position."  Size at receiver and the ability to get physical separation from elite corners is a huge difference maker or at least a great equalizer.  We simply didn't have the scheme or the player to make a play down the field.

2) I'm not sure what coaches tell players vs media, but the "every position is an open competition" line is getting old.  Your program isn't going anywhere until there is a clear talent/experience pecking order on both sides of the ball.  I bet Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio St all have very clear 1 and 2 deeps starting fall camp with few exceptions.  It adds clarity and confidence for the program and helps the team understand what to expect from the players around them.  I didn't know what to expect from Oregon on Saturday.  Did the players know what to expect from themselves?

All this to say that Oregon has four head coaches (1 interim), a gazillion coordinators in the last 5 years, and a huge swath of players from the transfer portal.  Georgia is a well-oiled machine at this point after years of building and consistency.  It's disappointing that we played them at likely the worst possible time.

• Great post! 1

On 9/6/2022 at 10:31 AM, mikethehiker said:

It's disappointing that we played them at likely the worst possible time.

Agreed.  And I have more egg-on-my-face as I thought this was the perfect time to play them.

We all get humbled at one time or another!

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Agreed.  And I have more egg-on-my-face as I thought this was the perfect time to play them.

I think it was the perfect time to play them. Before they’ve had a chance to jell as a unit.

The problem was that is was also the worst time for this team to be playing them. Before they even really know the playbook and have jelled as a unit.

On 9/5/2022 at 8:01 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

To address the question Charles posed--If Samford scores more on Ga than the Ducks I would say that we definitely have a coaching issue.

It would be almost hard for Samford to not score more than the Ducks. Even if Georgia's goal is to pitch a shutout, accidents do happen.

Two bits says Georgia did a lot more studying and prepping for Oregon than they ever will on Sanford.

On 9/5/2022 at 3:35 PM, Dukduponquak said:

And I thought DL wasn't going to stand for it?

A couple weeks ago this was brought up. The comment was that DL would not chew the guy out on national TV, but rather handle it in private and then in practice. The tell will be if you ever see that guy do it again. If he doesn't, someone talked to him.

On 9/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Some of us more than others.