Mic

Suddenly, the Transfer Dilemma Rears Again

Starting Bo Nix was understandable, I think.  Not trying out the young QB's was puzzling, imo.  We know both Thompson & Butterfield are QB's currently 'objects of interest' by coaches mining the portal for talent.  This is concerning to many of us, especially after yesterday afternoon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember, we don't see practice and we are certainly making a lot of assumptions..... Just saying

• Thumbs Up 2

Regardless of whether you're up 49 - 3 or down 3 - 49, I have no clue why the starting QB would be left in there.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 10:41 AM, Augduck said:

Remember, we don't see practice and we are certainly making a lot of assumptions..... Just saying

Agreed. But...

On 9/4/2022 at 10:41 AM, Augduck said:

we don't see practice and we are certainly making a lot of assumptions

Excellent point, we have to trust to the coaches to make sound personnel decisions.  We have some carryover bias from last year that doesn't necessarily apply with new coaches and a new transfer QB.

We certainly learned that last year the system had a significant contribution to the QB problems and Ty's experience was in THAT system.

That being said there's no way to color some of Bo's throws other than really poor judgement...  I for one will be looking to some film analysis to get a better idea of just how bad (or not) Bo's field vision was.   

You don't put your kid in the drivers seat when the car is tumbling down the ravine and expect him learn any valuable lessons. 

I do think it will be telling who the choice is next week when we aren't on the road, or playing arguably one of the best teams in the nation.

Does Dan Lanning continue to try resurrect Bo's career, or will we see the start of anothers journey as our programs leader with the ball? That will be a compelling storyline. 

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I learned yesterday is that Bo is not a playoff QB-never will be. The Ducks have put all their eggs in one basket and it is cracked.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ducks get blown out by Utah twice and we never see a backup QB. Ducks down 31-3 against OU and again, no backup QB. Ducks down by over forty yesterday and still no backup QB. Three different coaches facing blowouts and none put in a backup QB. Something is telling me that maybe we don't have a backup QB.

I've never seen this by any team at any level. I can see the defensive system still needing work and improving. I can see an offense still looking for the alpha dogs to rise to the top meeting an UGA D that just does what it does. What I can't see is the Ducks having zero confidence in putting a backup QB in the game in obviously warranted situations by three different coaches.

That to me is the reddest flag I saw.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

FISHDUCK.COM

Oregon experimented with graduate transfer quarterbacks in both 2015 and 2016 and—needless to...

I wrote this back before the 2020 season and it was my second article for FishDuck. We are still absolutely having the same conversation about whether we should be bringing in transfer quarterbacks. 

I think it is telling how the win now culture around coaches and football give them little option but to grab transfers and play them.

I watched the Ost/Boyshee St game last night. Alvalos put his FR QB in when the starter was tanking the game. I know it's a mental killer to sub a backup for the starter but gee whiz Bo Pix is not new to the game. I could see it being a phycological issue if Bo was a 1st time starter but he's not. There's no up side to his game. 

I was hoping we moved past this with MC being gone but maybe it's becoming a tradition at Oregon now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

We are not going any where this year. So why not put Thompson at the controls?

Nix sounded like a great option, but...

Raise our own crops.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll be shocked NOT to see Thompson and/or Butterfield on the field next week.  Bo will likely start but at some point a coach has to give his backups meaningful playing time.  Regardless of what we think of Bo Nix, an injury can happen on any play - and then what?  Maybe EWU will afford us a good look at both.

Welp... If only we could clone Vernon Adams brain with a healthy dash of Bo Nix, or even Anthony Brown level athleticism, I'd say it's worth a try.

Finding that in the portal?

My magic 8 Ball says, "Doubtful".

• Yikes! 1

The QB from Michigan coming in next year is going to be given every chance to win the starting role and I suspect will win it because the coaches are likely aware of the problem of a continual 1-and-done QB system.  

The 2023 schedule sets up much better to allow the staff to start a Freshman.  

Consistency AND competition are how great programs are built 

Edited by CalBear95

The big question about the portal for these guys is what exactly do they want to accomplish?

Nix has said he plans to stay one season. If true, Oregon once again has a wide open QB spot.

If you are a young QB still with the dream of being a power 5 starting QB, and you make a list of teams with an open QB battle, Oregon likely is going to be at or near the top of the list.

Most places will have a returning guy, those that don't usually have a logical favored heir apparent, most of those don't still have 3 guys competing who were all rated highly.

If you are a QB and happy here, Oregon is going to be about as good a P5 opportunity as any.

On 9/4/2022 at 11:24 AM, David Marsh said:

I think it is telling how the win now culture around coaches and football give them little option but to grab transfers and play them.

Sometimes I wonder if this desperate rush to find a transfer QB isn't being driven by an aging Phil Knight.  It's understandable, given all that PK's done for Oregon to want to get him his Championship.  We all share his desire, w/o his commitments made to the University and the Football program in general. I, for one, won't gain-say him his desire, he's certainly earned his say many, many times over.  I just wonder tho, if this isn't what's driving this?

On 9/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, Mic said:

Sometimes I wonder if this desperate rush to find a transfer QB isn't being driven by an aging Phil Knight.  It's understandable, given all that PK's done for Oregon to want to get him his Championship.  We all share his desire, w/o his commitments made to the University and the Football program in general. I, for one, won't gain-say him his desire, he's certainly earned his say many, many times over.  I just wonder tho, if this isn't what's driving this?

That could be a favor but so so so many other programs are doing it as well. There is a reason why the quarterback transfer market is so active, because coaches need to win right away. 

On 9/4/2022 at 2:58 PM, David Marsh said:

That could be a favor but so so so many other programs are doing it as well. There is a reason why the quarterback transfer market is so active, because coaches need to win right away. 

Which is why I dread opening up the GoDucks page each morning hoping I don't see what I'm afraid I'll see:  "Ty Thompson announces he's transferring to _______ University"....or some such.

Edited by Mic

On 9/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mic said:

Which is why I dread opening up the GoDucks page each morning hoping I don't see what I'm afraid I'll see:  "Ty Thompson announces he's transferring to _______ University"....or some such.

Don't worry, the new transfer window will prevent a transfer until after the season.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, McDuck said:

Don't worry, the new transfer window will prevent a transfer until after the season.

Oh!  Whew -

On 9/4/2022 at 3:01 PM, Mic said:

I feel the coaches are going all in on Donte Moore so I wouldn't be surprised if that's their long term plan. 

On 9/4/2022 at 5:17 PM, David Marsh said:

I feel the coaches are going all in on Donte Moore so I wouldn't be surprised if that's their long term plan. 

Interesting.  Different coaches, different ideas.

I remember when our last bunch of coaches were all-in for this 5* out of Arizona, Ty Thompson, the highest rated QB ever recruited at Oregon.  And we've seen almost nothing of him.  If you are correct then the young man may as well transfer on to somewhere else.  Maybe Cristobal's Miami.

Problem is, Donte Moore is only a "commit' right now and we all know the word "commit" is fluid nowadays.  

Part of me agrees with DL staying with Nix to the :00. Nix has faced the Dawgs 4 times now. Four L's.

Everyone stayed healthy. That might not be the case if you throw Thompson or Butters in the game already out of hand.

Our backups might not be ready but we still need them healthy. Lanning will never say this out loud but he knew what Georgia is, he knew a blowout was in the cards.

Oregon has much bigger problems than QB play. Maybe Dawgs are that good. I am rooting for that to be the case.