Fathertime

From a Long, Long, Time Duck...

Dear Coach Lanning,

I remember watching USC crush us at Autzen in 1976.

I remember a long line of pretty good home grown Quarterbacks:

Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kellen Clemens, Dennis Dixon, Jeremiah Masoli,

Darron Thomas, Marcus Mariota, Justin Herbert.

Please for the love of my Ducks..STOP with the transfer portal of Quarterbacks.

They are a one and done. If you can't, as other Head Coaches, figure out how to make the younger QB's on your roster work, then you might be in for a short  tenure here.

We are not going to win the National Championship this year and as fans we will take our lumps.

Now lets set-up the next couple of years, and it's not with Bo Nix.

Please start Ty Thompson.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely

• Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, Fathertime said:

Dear Coach Lanning,

I remember watching USC crush us at Autzen in 1976.

I remember a long line of pretty good home grown Quarterbacks:

Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, Kellen Clemens, Dennis Dixon, Jeremiah Masoli,

Darron Thomas, Marcus Mariota, Justin Herbert.

They are a one and done. If you can't, as other Head Coaches, figure out how

to make the younger QB's on your roster work, then you might be in for a short  tenure here.

We are not going to win the National Championship this year and as fans we will take our lumps.

Now lets set-up the next couple of years, and it's not with Bo Nix.

Please start Ty Thompson.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely

I respectfully disagree.  He makes better decisions, and I loathe the thought of either "rookie" as I call them running the show against that type of team.  

I didn't like the play calls.  Especially with the safeties sitting in natural "windows".  It forced us into a much "shorter"  field.  Bo doesn't seem to be patient enough to drive the field over 12-18 plays, which is what that defense forced.

The rookies absolutely cannot handle the concepts that defense used, and heck, they aren't exactly tearing up our "vulnerable " defense either. So in my opinion, Nix is decades ahead of them.  They should have played yesterday, but they would have been embarrassed (and it might have shook their confidence).

Bo displayed a better sense of timing than I've seen out of him to date.  He also needs to grasp dealing with safeties taking away the seams, posts and dig routes, but he understood how fast he needed to release the ball.  The rookies aren't even close to that level yet.

Just my opinion of course. 

• Yikes! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you Mike,

The play calling was horrible, that's on the OC. I agree that Bo doesn't seem to be patient enough...

Isn't that the same criticism that they had at Auburn?

And I agree, our defense couldn't tackle my Mom, and she's dead.

However; the future of our program is not Bo Nix, never has been. 

The future of our program sits with Thompson and Butterfield.

Neither of which would have changed the outcome yesterday, but both would set the course of our

future better than Bo. 

Thompson and Butterfield didn't get the chance to be more embarrassed, or have their confidence  shaken more.

While they are rookies, and I'm not sure you can call either of them that, and might have been shaken.

There is an upside that we all know is not there with Nix, because we haven't seen them play.

All I'm saying is that some times home grown is better than home lost. 

Let's let them play.

• Applause 2

On 9/4/2022 at 12:17 PM, Fathertime said:

One of the most glaring questions I have is: "Just how bad are our backup QBs?"

To have left Nix in ALL GAME, for what was truly a terrible performance, AND a historically horrendous season opening game, I think begs this question.

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Agreed

On 9/4/2022 at 1:20 PM, Desert Duck said:

To have left Nix in ALL GAME, for what was truly a terrible performance, AND a historically horrendous season oening game, I think begs this question.

In high school after 1 year you were kicked off the team. if these guys are bad get rid of them. Send them to the Fuskies free of charge.

I understand trying to find a nice spot to break in a young QB but JB is starting his third year in the program and TT had his break in with Stony Brook last year.

That game was OVER. Georgia didn't at all appear to be out for blood, the second half for them looked a lot like they were playing a second Spring game.

If you are that scared of throwing a young guy in at that point and somehow destroying some confidence (or whatnot), they likely aren't it. 

• Like 1

To have left Nix in ALL GAME, for what was truly a terrible performance, AND a historically horrendous season opening game, I think begs this question.

Robby Ashford transfered out of Oregen last year. He got some playing time with Auburn yesterday. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, VegasDuck said:

Robby Ashford transfered out of Oregen last year. He got some playing time with Auburn yesterday. 

Tyler Shough started for the Texas Red Raiders yesterday and put up some good number -- before unfortunately leaving the game due to an injury.

On 9/4/2022 at 2:05 PM, Desert Duck said:

Tyler Shough started for the Texas Red Raiders yesterday and put up some good number -- before unfortunately leaving the game due to an injury.

I knew there had to be others so saying there isn't any talent in the stable is pure BS. 

On 9/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, VegasDuck said:

247SPORTS.COM

“They gave me my second chance. That's all I could ask for.”

"Sunday, after Auburn officially named T.J. Finley its starting quarterback, the offensive coaching staff ensured Ashford, now the backup, 'Hey, you’re going to play'.”

"I almost started crying,” Ashford said Saturday night after Auburn's 42-16 victory over Mercer.. “That they feel comfortable enough with me to put me in the game. I feel like, to have a coaching staff that trusts me and wants the best for me. I can't thank them enough; they've done more for me than they know. I probably tell them thank you a lot, but I feel like I still don't do it enough. They gave me my second chance. That's all I could ask for.”

"On his second carry of the game, Ashford ripped off a 49-yard run down the sideline..."

"Ashford continued cycling in with Finley — until Finley threw his second pick of the game in the third quarter. Then Ashford took over the controls for the remainder of the night — even after the nearly hour-and-a-half lightning delay at the end of the third quarter. Then Ashford dropped a bomb downfield to Johnson for 56 yards to put Auburn inside the 10; Jarquez Hunter polished things off two plays later with his third rushing score of the night."

• Like 2

Braxton Burmeister started for SDSU against Arizona.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, Fathertime said:

The future of our program sits with Thompson and Butterfield.

I actually suspect it’s the kid from Michigan 

I honestly don't get what's going on here. As someone else has pointed out this is now the 3rd set of coaches that are not playing these guys. What gives? I don't care about their recruiting rankings and none of us are in practice but they can't be that bad can they? I remember the dude who had to play against Boise State who Coach Belloti wouldn't let throw a pass the entire game. They can't be worse than that. 

• Like 1

I think DL answered the question regarding playing a back-up QB in ATL in another thread.  He and his staff had an agenda, and they were sticking to it. 

As for the long term, I imagine Dan’s trying to win football games.  It’s his (and other coaches) evaluation of the QB room thru practices and scrimmages, which we are not privileged to, that determine who gets the starting job. 

I think this may be more of an indictment of Ty and Butters’ readiness to play than it is a testament to Bo’s level of play.  The thing I would be curious to know is if the backups are behind from a decision-making (no Bo jokes) perspective, or just common knowledge of an offense that Bo has experience running. 

Don’t lose sight of the Bo / Dillingham connection.  Perhaps as the season progresses, one of the pursuers will gain the confidence of the coaching staff and wrestle the starting position away from Bo.  Until that occurs, I’m fine with not handing over the keys until it’s earned.

For the record, I would have played Ty the entire 4th quarter as I believe a back-up will be called upon at some point during this season. 

• Applause 1

On 9/4/2022 at 3:50 PM, Jester said:

Dan’s trying to win football games. 

Agreed, and we have to trust that the coaches are going to start the QB that gives the team the best chance to win.  The staff felt Bo gave us the best chance, so he got the start.  

The offense made big mistakes against a great defense and a held to 3 points is what we get.  That being said, the defense is what made that game an embarrassment.  If Bo had a 'Heisman night' we wouldn't have been in that game and we would still be talking about an embarrassing defensive performance.

I don't know what the strategy is to help the defense get this right, there's plenty of talent but missing tackles like that will get you sat down on a high school bench.  The open spaces in passing lanes was GLARING.

I think Bo get's the start against Eastern Washington and hopefully we blow it up on the offense side to 1) give the defense the time they need to figure stuff out and 2) Get the #2 in the game to figure his stuff out.  If Bo struggles to make good decisions against BYU, I'm sure the staff will send in the backup and we will see what's what.

Part of the "problem" lies with the invitational process to crown a national champion. 

The final grade used to vote teams into the playoff included "pre-season" game win/loss records, points for and points against totals and key statistics. 

Prior to the Bowl Championship Series (BCS),  games prior to conference play didn't really matter. 

Those games gave teams, coaches, and players a chance to work out kinks and give all players in-game reps and allow them to feel the thrill of building stats that count.

Today, every game counts. There isn't a pre-season.  There is more pressure to give the first string game reps, even in garbage time.

Running up the score and building bloated stats is rewarded at season end by the playoff committee.

Unfortunately, this means if the Ducks don't blow out EWU or Boise St or, please no, get blown out, we probably won't see any quarter back, other than Nix.

• Thumbs Up 1

Its possible that Dan & Ken gave Bo and his dad, we will give him a chance to start several games.

If TT and Butters are not ready to play after 2 and 3 years? They will never be ready. Hard to believe that a high 4*/5* aren't ready to play. Almost unbelievable. 

What have they been doing the last couple years, playing Pong? Two head coaches have refused to play them. Speaks volumes. 

After yesterday, doesn't seem Mariø left the cupboard full at all. 11 more games. We will see.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think this was posted on one of the other threads, but it does address the issue of leaving Nix in

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Annie said:

I think this was posted on one of the other threads, but it does address the issue of leaving Nix in

Nice find, absolutely right it seems. Lanning better secure Dante Moore. Looks like we have no backup to lean on. Hopefully that changes with Ty or Butters by the end of the year.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:00 PM, Annie said:

I truly don't know what to believe regarding this situation. 

On 9/4/2022 at 5:35 PM, McDuck said:

Braxton Burmeister started for SDSU against Arizona.

He‘s becoming the Steve DeBerg of college football.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:19 PM, Fathertime said:

The future of our program sits with Thompson and Butterfield....

Maybe. Or maybe it sits with one of the  other two QBs on the team (Sanders or Van Dyne), or a player yet to be recruited (a longer wait in that case, but maybe that's how it will be).