Pac10again

Well Crud…

Alabama's Heisman hopeful will trow at-least one pic against Georgia and he has much  better receivers and lineman.  QB is NOT the problem, we've became Phil's premadonna's.  

Georgia came for war...Oregon showed up for a fashion show. 

I will be banned if I say what I am really thinking.  But I will risk one more thought.  Lanning is gone after this season or next.  He will head back to SEC. 

He isn't quite the defensive genius when he doesn't  have 8 defensive players that went in first round...Just saying...and Georgia's defense looked just as good without him.

BYU 34  Oregon 21                   I also called the game against Georgia 24-3 at half.  It was even worse.

And why will Lanning be gone? 

How old is Lanning? It's his first game as a HC. Plays the Defending champs right out of the gate.

Dawgs were in late season form. That first pick was as good of D as I have ever seen. Spectacular play. Dawgs are going B2B.

This is a long season. I think Lanning is the right guy. Give him some time. A lot of people think highly of Dan Lanning. Smart and Sabin are two of them.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:03 PM, DUCKED said:

And why will Lanning be gone? 

Edited by Pac10again

On 9/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, Pac10again said:

The real bottom line is much more obvious.  Lanning is not a head coach.  Just my thoughts and guesses. 

Well Chip lost to Boise State in the opener and his tenure at Oregon turned out ok. That was in many ways a more embarrassing loss. 

Rich Brooks lost to Georgia in his opener and his tenure got the field at Autzen named after him.

It's game one. We can cast judgement later in the season. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

How old is Lanning? It's his first game as a HC. Plays the Defending champs right out of the gate.

Dawgs were in late season form. That first pick was as good of D as I have ever seen. Spectacular play. Dawgs are going B2B.

This is a long season. I think Lanning is the right guy. Give him some time. A lot of people think highly of Dan Lanning. Smart and Sabin are two of them.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:04 PM, Log Haulin said:

I think he will choose to go to either the BIG or the SEC.  Its where the action is, and will be from now on.  Hes getting some experience, and then he will get a call, and adios baby.  Just my thoughts. 

On 9/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, David Marsh said:

Well Chip lost to Boise State in the opener and his tenure at Oregon turned out ok. That was in many ways a more embarrassing loss. 

Rich Brooks lost to Georgia in his opener and his tenure got the field at Autzen named after him.

It's game one. We can cast judgement later in the season. 

Neither one of those coaches inherited a team that had a rating,talent wise, of a top ten team. 

You cannot cast judgement later on unless we play Georgia again.  Playing in the B league the rest of season will not be an honest comparison.

Ding-Ding-Ding!  We have a winner!

Who will be the first to predict Lanning's demise?  It came after just the first game by Pac10again.  That is what we will remember...thanks.

• Haha 3

Mr. FishDuck

I am going to pump the brakes on the all-in sky is falling. I think the Dawgs are going to show most teams, what they dished to the Ducks will not be an anomaly. B2B

I also believe Lanning will show the UGA game was an anomaly.  All summer the idea of giving Lanning some time was discussed frequently on OBDF. Nothing changes.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never precited his demise.  I said I be

On 9/4/2022 at 6:25 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Who will be the first to predict Lanning's demise?  It came after just the first game by Pac10again.  That is what we will remember...thanks.

What I will remember is a very unprepared football team. what will be said after BYU?

Ill agree with one thing and that is Georgia and Bama have much better defensive talent than just about everyone else especially the PAC.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:29 PM, Log Haulin said:

I am going to pump the brakes on the all-in sky is falling. I think the Dawgs are going to show most teams, what they dished to the Ducks will not be an anomaly. B2B

I also believe Lanning will show the UGA game was an anomaly.  All summer the idea of giving Lanning some time was discussed frequently on OBDF. Nothing changes.

I agree.  I said from the beginning Georgia will field the best offense in all of college football.  I do not even mind losing 49-3. Thank you Mr Smart or it could have been much worse.  I am concerned that we looked slow, confused, and lost.   That is my concern.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Pac10again said:

I agree.  I said from the beginning Georgia will field the best offense in all of college football.  I do not even mind losing 49-3. Thank you Mr Smart or it could have been much worse.  I am concerned that we looked slow, confused, and lost.   That is my concern.

Huge concern of mine also. Before first play of the game Nix looked nervous. Infectious, the whole team played like it. 

Not a good look. But like I said, Georgia was a machine. They are going to make a lot of teams look bad. 

• Go Ducks! 1

I tried to delete my post.  Please go in and do it for me.  Thank you.

On 9/4/2022 at 6:45 PM, Pac10again said:

I tried to delete my post.  Please go in and do it for me.  Thank you.

It stays 🤣

On 9/4/2022 at 6:50 PM, Log Haulin said:

It stays 🤣

I will pay someone to delete it...

I seem to recall some Bama fans saying we had a good one in MariØ and just give him some time.  He will be special.  What they should have said is that he will be a good recruiter.  Even then, the jury is still out on the type of players that he brought in and whether or not they can compete at the highest level.

Edited by DuckIt
  • Yikes! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:13 PM, Pac10again said:

.   Utah (easily the Pac's best team)

Completely disagree.  

And Lanning will have to be successful here before he can leave.

As far as Utah... They lost to tOSU, whom we beat, and if we had an aggressive coach, we would have beat handily.

Had our head in the sand former coach been effective, we would have put the Utes' head on a platter.  Anthony Brown proved that, McClendon ( I think that's his name) proved that.  

We aren't SEC ready.  That's all.  UGA and Bama are a class ahead of SEC ready.  If Lanning can recruit like Belotti did, he'll be fine.  Bellotti had to recruit to match Pete Carroll, and he brought NFL sized guys to the table.  

That's the task.  Enough bubbas to handle  the trenches, but the skill guys in to both backfields must be even better than Helfrich's 2015 running backs .  The WRs and DBs gotta get bigger that 200.  No more thin pancakes.  

Waffle thick, Bullet train big and fast.  It's time to recruit an NFL archetype.  Forget four star mid sized sedans.  They can't handle Mack Trucks.  

That's why we got our heads handed to us.  Mini Me doesn't cut it. 

And no Utah didn't out muscle us, they outnumbered us.  I've got tape to prove it( and even Auburn did that to Georgia last year, so I really can prove it). 

• Thumbs Up 1

After being disgusted until noon today I wonder if our performance was impacted by the time zone difference, being the first game, new staff, and 3rd new offensive and defensive schemes in the four years most of our players have been through.

It sure looked like it. Not taking anything away from Georgia, they were simply a machine.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:58 PM, DuckIt said:

I seem to recall some Bama fans saying we had a good one in MariØ and just give him some time.  He will be special.  What they should have said is that he will be a good recruiter.  Even then, the jury is still out on the type of players that he brought in and whether or not they can compete at the highest level.

Same thought I have. How bare is the cupboard? 

On 9/4/2022 at 6:25 PM, Pac10again said:

You cannot cast judgement later on unless we play Georgia again.  Playing in the B league the rest of season will not be an honest comparison.

We can cast judgement then because you cannot truly say how successful the season has been until it is over. 

We can safely say that this team is not Georgia's equal. 

But this can still be a very good football season. The playoff has distorted any concept of what makes a good season. It's playoff or bust for coaches, players and fans alike for teams that have those aspirations. 

In truth I was hoping for a shot at the playoff this year. It's still possible but I feel highly unlikely. And I'm fine with that. 

There is still plenty to play for and as a fan I intend to keep watching and seeing the growth. 

This team will not be the team we see by the year's end. Lanning will be better and the players will be better. 

Maybe I've just drank the Lanning Kool aid but I do feel he will figure things out. 

And as for Chip Kelly's 2009 team. Yeah they got beat by Boise State and then had a great season. They were exposed in the Rose Bowl against Ohio State. They came back the next year and maybe a very good and real run at the National Championship. 

For the culture to build and truly form it sometimes does require a team to be embarrassed and know just what it takes to win, for coaches and players alike.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If we are doing predictions, then I'm taking a flyer on Lanning is gone this year and bring in Urban Meyer.

There hasn't been any Urban Meyer speculation for a while so why can't I be the one to start it? 

Life is always more fun with a good Urban rumor.

Edited by DazeNconfused
  • Haha 2

On 9/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, Mike West said:

Completely disagree.  

And Lanning will have to be successful here before he can leave.

As far as Utah... They lost to tOSU, whom we beat, and if we had an aggressive coach, we would have beat handily.

I completely agree. 

And we beat Ohio State being down a bunch of players and Ohio State at full strength. 

We lost to Utah and the head coach checked out and was ready to leave for Miami and we were down what felt like half a team's worth of starters. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:18 PM, David Marsh said:

I'm having a hard time seeing how losing by 11 to Boise State, who went on to a 14-0 season and win the Fiesta Bowl, was more embarrassing than a 46 point loss to Georgia. 

On 9/4/2022 at 7:07 PM, Duck 1972 said:

After being disgusted until noon today I wonder if our performance was impacted by the time zone difference, being the first game, new staff, and 3rd new offensive and defensive schemes in the four years most of our players have been through.

It sure looked like it. Not taking anything away from Georgia, they were simply a machine.

I don't think that playing at 12:30 PDT was a problem - or at least let's hope it wasn't. 

Edited by Desert Duck

IMO, the expectations for this team have been out of whack ever since Lanning got here. 

Completely new coaching staff, new systems on both sides of the ball, basically all new skill players.  Lost the leader in sacks, INTs on defense.  We have a ton of unproven talent with little to no experience in critical positions on both sides of the ball.  Yet, I saw people talking about Rose Bowls and Playoffs.  I just couldn’t get my head around that concept.  

I said it several times over the past few months.  We are going to take some lumps this year.  There will be mistakes and confusion at times.  We might lose a couple of games we shouldn’t.  

Didn’t Kirby Smart go 8-5 his first year with a pretty stacked roster??  IMO, the expectations for this team were just never realistic.  

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 9/4/2022 at 7:17 PM, Desert Duck said:

I'm having a hard time seeing how losing by 11 to Boise State, who went on to a 14-0 season and win the Fiesta Bowl, was more embarrassing than a 46 point loss to Georgia. 

Well if Georgia goes on to win another national championship that takes a little of the sting out of it. 

We also were the ones projected to beat Boise State as we were the ones with the better roster and we lost. 

Not saying they are fully equal but we weren't supposed to win and we didn't have the better roster against Georgia. Granted, i we weren't supposed to lose as badly as we did and I am incredibly annoyed by how much we lost by. 

I'm not trying to outright blindly sunshine pump but I feel we need a little perspective and need a little light because there is a whole lot of darkness right now. 

The season isn't over and it can still be a good year. 

• Go Ducks! 1

I definitely expect us to be competitive the rest of the season.

And I'm definitely a Georgia fan through the end of the season as well.

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 2

On 9/4/2022 at 7:21 PM, Desert Duck said:

I don't think that playing at 12:30 PDT was a problem - or at least let's hope it wasn't. 

No but there's still jet lag just ask the western pro teams that have to play back east. It's not as easy as it seems.

I appreciate that but for only being there for a few days, I would think they would have functionally tried to keep them operating on Pacific time.  And I could be totally wrong. 

But I also don't want to start coming up with excuses. Other teams travel 2 or 3 time zones and don't get lambasted by 46. 

We traveled 3 time zones to OSU last year and won. 

I'm not looking for excuses but viable reasons for why we executed so poorly.

• Thumbs Up 1

And I had other thoughts to ponder on.

• Thumbs Up 1

IMHO, Coach Lanning and his staff were asking players to learn and execute new systems that they may not be best suited for. Or simply need more time to execute properly.

For example, MC recruited lineman who could plow the road and substitute for bridge support posts on their off days. Run blocking was and is their skill set. When the Ducks tried running they had some moderate success. IMHO, Dilly got impatient and called plays to force the issue. QB's need time to throw and for routes to come open. The Ducks wonderful offensive lineman could not hold off the Dawgs relentless pressure. No matter what adjustments were made it did not change the skill set of the players. 

The farther the Ducks fell behind on the scoreboard just magnified the problem. Especially against what may be, again, the best defensive unit in all of college football 

As for the defensive unit it appears the players are struggling with their assignments in the new system. This unit could not hold the edge nor get QB pressure. Reviewing this game film will enlighten both coaches and players on what work needs to be done. Takes time for players to build trust with each other. Petsonally, I am going to let my observations on the defense percolate and simmer. Better performances are ahead for this uniy.

It's understandable to be disappointed, angry or beyond frustration as a fan. Consider this, a new first rime head coach, new staff, new systems and new portal transfers playing against a team that may not lose a game until the SEC title game. And they may not lose that one either. The Dawgs 5☆ players are in a 5 year old system that now is on a 59-10 run. The footer and foundation were layed in years 2 and 3 and the stone wall is up. But year one for Kirby was a disaster.

This Duck fan will temper my expectations and face the reality that this will take some time to build. Coach Lanning and his staff will need that time and our support.

When the puppy woke me up at 5:30 for our walk. It was dark but soon their was light on the horizon. When we finished our walk the sun was up and the sky had not fallen.

GO DUCKS.........

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 6:25 PM, Pac10again said:

Neither one of those coaches inherited a team that had a rating,talent wise, of a top ten team. 

Oregon was over rated all of last year and again coming into this game. 

The early ratings have been the joke of sports for decades.

Georgia defeated the number 1 rated team 33-18 last year. In my book, that's a beat down.

My "Oh Crud" moment from Saturday is that the SEC has evolved from bigger, slower, out of shape linemen to bigger, stronger, and faster linemen. 

I also don't think the Pac-12 has fully recovered from the 2020 partial season, yet. That was a long layover. It feels like the conference had jet lag last year.

None of that is on the coaching staff. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 7:46 PM, Duck 1972 said:

I'm not looking for excuses but viable reasons for why we executed so poorly.

Yes... this loss needs to be thoroughly analyzed on all fronts. And to the travel comment, you're right, it has an impact to some degree. 

On 9/5/2022 at 7:57 AM, nw777b said:

Oregon was over rated all of last year and again coming into this game. 

The early ratings have been the joke of sports for decades.

Georgia defeated the number 1 rated team 33-18 last year. In my book, that's a beat down.

My "Oh Crud" moment from Saturday is that the SEC has evolved from bigger, slower, out of shape linemen to bigger, stronger, and faster linemen. 

I also don't think the Pac-12 has fully recovered from the 2020 partial season, yet. That was a long layover. It feels like the conference had jet lag last year.

None of that is on the coaching staff. 

They looked out of shape, out of position, and uninspired.  Is that on the coaches?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2022 at 8:27 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Dilly got impatient and called plays to force the issue. QB's need time to throw and for routes to come open. The Ducks wonderful offensive lineman could not hold off the Dawgs relentless pressure. No matter what adjustments were made it did not change the skill set of the players

This is absolutely what happened. When Oregon was running the ball the offense was moving down the field. Our average rushing yards were good actually against a team like Georgia. 

I don't know the final number but the number that came up during the game was 4.9 yards per rush. That's pretty good against a team like Georgia. 

But as Oregon fell behind the desperatation to score increased and they went to the air and it only got worse. 

I look forward to seeing what this offense can do in a game without the best defense in the country attacking it. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2